MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
SAF needed Wayne more than Wayne needed United. Last year was a one man crusade. SAF rebuilding is still ongoing so he needed Wayne to produce for him whilst he plots a future without him.

I am pretty sure SAF needed the breathing space to develop a new team. SAF brought in Berba to change the dynamics post Ronaldo. I suspect Rooney will leave all that has now happened is United won't sell him cheap and SAF has more stability for his future plans.
Superb observation.

MacMUFC

I was just about to say the same thing about his rant. No doubt he'll feel that John Terry is still the bestest westest captain ever and would never do such an act of dishonesty to his club.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Some of you are not worthy to call yourselves Manchester United supporters( yes, I'm looking at you, Rooney apologists).

That fat scouse cnut has just had your great club and renowned manager over the barrel, publicly humiliated you all by claiming MU isn't ambitious enough for him and he wants out, only to backtrack few days later with a fake PR scripted apology after getting a big pay raise. All that after showing an indifferent form on the pitch for months and putting the club's name through the mud in the wake of his private indiscretions scandal.

There's no moral victory here for the club, even if they managed to avoid the disaster from the business point of view. Rooney just proved to everyone out there that he could do what no one before was able to pull: publicly disrespect MU and SAF and not only get away with it, but get rewarded in the end. Rooney demonstrated that no matter how much of an ungrateful cnut he is as a person, as a player he's so valuable to the current United side, they simply couldn't afford to stick to the principles and boot his fat ass out for fear of immediate consequences in terms of weakening the squad and losing their best player for peanuts.

Times do change. There's no way Fergie would have swallowed that in the past. Remember the boot flying at Beckham's head, Keane and RVN being shown the door when forgetting their place, etc? A couple of days ago when the news just broke many here said "no player is bigger than the club, jog off, United forever,etc etc." Well, Rooney just proved you all wrong, which to me represents a sad state of affairs in modern professional sport.

Ian Holloway, who's being made to look foolish now with his outburst, at least had the balls to tell it like it is without sugarcoating the truth. That's a man of integrity for you, deserves respect for his honesty.
And that about sums it up for me.

Superb post.

wr8_utd

:'(
After abandoning contract talks earlier this season due to concerns over the club’s future ambition, Rooney performed a dramatic U-turn on Friday morning by choosing to commit himself to a contract worth a basic £160,000-a-week, plus incentives that could see him earn in excess of £200,000-a-week should United win further Premier League or Champions League trophies.

So another "rumored" salary then. We've had 150, 160 and 180 till now.

TheReligion

Abusive
I will tell you what does make me sick is United fans nodding like dogs to what a Chelsea fan has to say, yes CHELSEA. The team that started off this whole "we can pay you stupid money" shite that is eating away at the Premier League.

Dyslexic Untied

If it was about money then obviously then the club could afford his wages so Rooney was right all along to stick to his guns. I think it's naieve to believe this has only happened to Rooney in the current squad, the difference with Rooney's is that is became public domain.

As for Holloway, he wasn't blaming Rooney, he was blaming the system. You can't blame Rooney for using the system to his advantage.

Anyway, if you think it has been a victory for Rooney then think again. He's done his reputation no good and he has to win back his team mates as well as the fans. I'm sure he'll be very much regretting his actions.

So lets put an end to it all and get back supporting team, hell they will need our support if we are to challenge Chelsea.

This is naive isn't it? The story didn't "become public". It was obviously leaked on purpose, to put pressure on the club. Rooney could have easily come out and said something to stop the rumours, but the fact that he was "adamant" at not even looking at our offer forced the club to go out public first.

Second of all, Rooney has obviously won. It's a clear victory. He doesn't care about his reputation, he's been fecking his reputation up all his grown up life with an array of different scandals. He cares about cash, and he probably got what he wanted.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is naive isn't it? The story didn't "become public". It was obviously leaked on purpose, to put pressure on the club. Rooney could have easily come out and said something to stop the rumours, but the fact that he was "adamant" at not even looking at our offer forced the club to go out public first.

Second of all, Rooney has obviously won. It's a clear victory. He doesn't care about his reputation, he's been fecking his reputation up all his grown up life with an array of different scandals. He cares about cash, and he probably got what he wanted.
Sources were actually saying United leaked the news to the press over the weekend to force Rooney's hand...

Again, no one knows, so why assume?

talking robot

I personally think this is Rooney just trying to get the most out of his last big contract. He hasn't burned any bridges. All he's said is that the club wasn't prepared to give him the assurances he wanted about the future of the club. Rooney may be considering his options, but I also think he has left a path back for himself with the club. If he signs a new 5 year deal tomorrow, he'll be forgiven just like Rio Ferdinand was and just like Gerard was with Liverpool. I agree he's acting like a cnut, but my money would still be on him staying.
I would just like to point out that I was right. A couple of people were disparaging this view yesterday.

Number7

Ret's Slave
I would just like to point out that I was right. A couple of people were disparaging this view yesterday.
Or he was trying to force through a move and shat himself when he saw the national and worldwide condemnation...you've not proven yourself right.

Red Norse

Fergie said Rooney was adamant. He probably was just that, but only SAF has said that in public.

Dave89

I desperately, desperately want to believe the theory my colleague put forward today, that fergie and rooney planned this to get the glazers to make a few big signings. Unfortunately I know he's just an utter cnut who got the payrise he wanted.

Dyslexic Untied

Sources were actually saying United leaked the news to the press over the weekend to force Rooney's hand...

I very highly doubt that to be honest, though I agree that we shouldn't speculate too much.

The general tone among many on here is in extreme contradiction to what was said yesterday though. People are very quick to buy the cheapest of excuses when they want to.

Amir

It would be funny if it were United, because we sure made it look like it was coming from Rooney's end.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I will tell you what does make me sick is United fans nodding like dogs to what a Chelsea fan has to say, yes CHELSEA. The team that started off this whole "we can pay you stupid money" shite that is eating away at the Premier League.
So we didnt break the record for the highest fee paid for a footballer when we bought Bryan Robson for £1.8 million back in the early 80s.

Blame it all on Chelsea...

We werent the first team to remove the words FOOTBALL CLUB from our badge, so we could market the brand to non football supporting customers.

Blame it all on CHelsea.

We werent the club whos owners first bypassed FA rules on how much money an owner could take from a club.

Blame it all on Chelsea.

We werent the first club to have our own designated TV channel that supporters had to pay for

Blame it all on Chelsea.

We didnt spend money given to the club to provide safe seating after the Taylor report, and use it for executive boxes.

Blame it all on CHelsea.

We arent the club that is whoring itself to any mobile phone company that is prepared to pay.

Blame it all on Chelsea.

If you want to look at who the biggest culprits for the state the game is in, at the moment, look a little closer to home, because we are the business model that every club is trying to copy. We are the team thats showed the others what having money can do for a club.

We are the ones that inspired the likes of Roman to get into football in the first place, and were it not for the price, he'd have bougth United instead of CHelsea, and I bet you wouldn't have been complaining now if he had.

TheReligion

Abusive
So we didnt break the record for the highest fee paid for a footballer when we bought Bryan Robson for £1.8 million back in the early 80s.

We werent the first team to remove the words FOOTBALL CLUB from our badge, so we could market the brand to non football supporting customers.

Blame it all on CHelsea.

We werent the club whos owners first bypassed FA rules on how much money an owner could take from a club.

Blame it all on Chelsea.

We werent the first club to have our own designated TV channel that supporters had to pay for

Blame it all on Chelsea.

We didnt spend money given to the club to provide safe seating after the Taylor report, and use it for executive boxes.

Blame it all on CHelsea.

We arent the club that is whoring itself to any mobile phone company that is prepared to pay.

Blame it all on Chelsea.

If you want to look at who the biggest culprits for the state the game is in, at the moment, look a little closer to home, because we are the business model that every club is trying to copy. We are the team thats showed the others what having money can do for a club.

We are the ones that inspired the likes of Roman to get into football in the first place, and were it not for the price, he'd have bougth United instead of CHelsea, and I bet you wouldn't have been complaining now if he had.
United's money was self generated, we were simply lucky we started to win the leauge again and dominated at the start of the Sky generation of football.

No sugar daddies came in and said "sign who you want from that team and pay them whatever the player wants - money is no object"

United have always had a tight wage structure compared to other clubs.

I see what you are getting at, but to compare United to the likes of City and Chelsea is bordering on being brain dead.

Number7

Ret's Slave

Blame it all on Chelsea.
What exactly is wrong with this? These companies are usually top of their field, and are paying us millions.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Some of you are not worthy to call yourselves Manchester United supporters( yes, I'm looking at you, Rooney apologists).

That fat scouse cnut has just had your great club and renowned manager over the barrel, publicly humiliated you all by claiming MU isn't ambitious enough for him and he wants out, only to backtrack few days later with a fake PR scripted apology after getting a big pay raise. All that after showing an indifferent form on the pitch for months and putting the club's name through the mud in the wake of his private indiscretions scandal.

There's no moral victory here for the club, even if they managed to avoid the disaster from the business point of view. Rooney just proved to everyone out there that he could do what no one before was able to pull: publicly disrespect MU and SAF and not only get away with it, but get rewarded in the end. Rooney demonstrated that no matter how much of an ungrateful cnut he is as a person, as a player he's so valuable to the current United side, they simply couldn't afford to stick to the principles and boot his fat ass out for fear of immediate consequences in terms of weakening the squad and losing their best player for peanuts.

Times do change. There's no way Fergie would have swallowed that in the past. Remember the boot flying at Beckham's head, Keane and RVN being shown the door when forgetting their place, etc? A couple of days ago when the news just broke many here said "no player is bigger than the club, jog off, United forever,etc etc." Well, Rooney just proved you all wrong, which to me represents a sad state of affairs in modern professional sport.

Ian Holloway, who's being made to look foolish now with his outburst, at least had the balls to tell it like it is without sugarcoating the truth. That's a man of integrity for you, deserves respect for his honesty.
Totally agree.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Spot on mate, could not of put it better myself. To see Sir Alex cave in to a player like this is a big worry for me...... It opens the doors for others to essentially hold the club to ransom and undermines Fergie's authority too in a way.
Ferguson has come out of this very well IMO. Far from looking like a man who caved in.

Red Norse

Dear lord, moral preachings from a fan of an oligarch club. With snide remarks about SAF's failing powers and crumbling dynasty implied. Wake me up when you've got something original to say.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

I agree with most of what you've written here. However there are one or two points I feel differently about.

It does appear that Rooney has publicly disrespected MU and SAF and got away with it doesn't it......maybe that's because he's needed at the moment. The day that we don't need him quite as much might come sooner than a lot of people think though. Might come sooner than he thinks too.

I agree with how United have dealt with this, I mean by getting him to sign a contract extension. I wouldn't have it any other way, we deserve the maximum we can get for him when we sell him. And sell him I've no doubt we will. To me it's not if but when.

I do feel though that it's much more preferable to sell him when we're ready, rather when he's ready. United come first and I've ceased to have his interests at heart after this. From now on I'll support him when he's on the pitch playing for United but that's all.

Dyslexic Untied

Your point was about going public, directly or leaking to the media. Dunno where you picked up that Rooney didn't look at the offer from the club.
Ferguson said that Rooney had told Gill in August that he wouldn't sign the contract. He then went on to say that Gill said "there was an offer there" but they never got into the financials because Rooney said he wanted to leave.

Godfather

Very good post

wr8_utd

:'(

Blame it all on CHelsea.

Blame it all on Chelsea.

Blame it all on Chelsea.

Blame it all on CHelsea.

Blame it all on Chelsea.

You might be right(not that I agree with everything you've said) but you don't have anything positive to say about United do you? ;)

redwhiteblack

I'm really glad Rooney's signed for another 5 years (not a short contract at his age) and I think a lot of people are assuming many things that they know nothing at all about.

Whether accidental or orchestrated, I feel his comments about being concerned about the quality of the squad he plays in will actually end up helping this Manchester United team which has grown complacent and does need investment.

I hope he stays for the whole 5 years, and I can't wait to see him hit form again.

His private life is of utterly no concern to me, and I know nothing about it. The only person's private life that matters to me is my own.

I hope his desperation to be successful is never curbed because it's refreshing and inspiring at times.

Lets try to chill out with the abusive, emotional diatribes and remember just how much passion Wayne has shown EVERY TIME he puts on that red shirt.

He's a United player, and I hope he remains one for a long time yet.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

Sorry mate, but where do I deny it was Rooney's fault? He should never have leaked it to the press. Ironicaly, he probably did it because he didn't want to leave United. Bad move obviously. So now he not only has most United fans against him, he also has the whole God damn world against him. If anyone is feeling embarressed it is probably Rooney. Fergie on the other hand comes out with the issue resolved and his reputation more enhanced than ever before. I wonder who's smiling tonight eh?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Maybe because we have accepted that he'll leave in the summer and for the club he wants to go to.

But by signing a new contract and playing his current one out till then, it was what we needed from him to accept it.

I'm not sure how anyone can have any faith that he's been completely turned around in a few days and is now committed long term.
shut up you knob head. The last thing we need is someone coming out with nonsense.

Red Norse

That guy is fecked in the head. A victory for football? Pffffffffffffffftttttt.
The headline is a bit daft but he also speaks some sense if you're bothered to continue reading.

But it has to be a victory for Ferguson as his No 10 must now prove his worth, reminding the paying public and watching world of the talents that made him Footballer of the Year. It is time for Rooney to focus on silverware, not gold, on destroying opposing defences not his own popularity. He has a lot of work to do.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Im amazed that people are claiming it a victory for Rooney actually. The Master must be enjoying his claret tonight.

Dyslexic Untied

Dyslexic Untied

Sorry mate, but where do I deny it was Rooney's fault? He should never have leaked it to the press. Ironicaly, he probably did it because he didn't want to leave United. Bad move obviously. So now he not only has most United fans against him, he also has the whole God damn world against him. If anyone is feeling embarressed it is probably Rooney. Fergie on the other hand comes out with the issue resolved and his reputation more enhanced than ever before. I wonder who's smiling tonight eh?
Im amazed that people are claiming it a victory for Rooney actually. The Master must be enjoying his claret tonight.
Obviously this is good for Ferguson, because he has the clubs needs on his mind. But if you think he is happy about all this then think again. He has had to do his dirty laundry out in public, and has found out just how greedy and ungrateful a player he has. A player he has nurtured and protected for years. Ferguson is probably not happy about all this, although the result is good for United in the short run.

Rooney on the other hand, well he got everything he wanted. Got a new contract, probably a hefty raise, perhaps he got some sort of say in transfers. Who knows. But we can assume that he is paid nicely for this. And again, he probably doesn't care about his reputation as a person.