MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I am on this forum, because Football is more than just a passing interest to me. I have had tears in my eyes seeing some of the wonderous goals that Rooney, Best and Ronaldo have scored.

I am guilty of making a lot more about a 'bag of wind' being kicked around I'm afraid.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nothing wrong with a professional in any trade earning what he can. CEOs and owners do the same. It is about what the market can bear.
Once again, there is a difference between being offered it, and pushing for it. Between bargening for what you deserve relative to what you bring in whilst being respectful, and holding your employer to randsom or threatening to weaken your company or jump ship to a rival. A difference between Giggs and Scholes being paid what they and the club think they're worth and what everyone is happy with, and Rooney and Cashley pimping their loyalties based on what they can get or actually feeling aggrieved at thier privillaged situation..

Just because this kind of greed is prevalent in other aspects of employment doesn't legitimise it. If I met someone who said they were annoyed their employer wasn't offering them 60k a week and only 55, I'd think they were a massive cnut with little perspective and avoid talking to them...So I'm well within my rights to think footballers are becoming rather disgusting human beings..But hey, it happens, bangerang!. Gordon Geko was a legend...etc etc etc, or whatever excusive point you lot seem to be trying to make.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
so im guessing fergie has the better cow then, the other cows must be crap

Neo_Mufc

Question, do you think the current Utd squad is good enough? Does it not need investment? Are Scholes and Giggs going to be carrying on forever? Is Ferguson carrying on forever? Are you not worried we are 720 million pounds in debt?

Now also ask yourself if you where a 25 year old footballer who doesn't support the football club (not doesn't care) would you not be worried by those things in signing a contract taking you through your peak years? Its quite simple Rooney questioned what Utd fans have been questioning for a while now.

Ronaldo fans :wenger:
Is a squad ever good enough because how long can you keep an excellent squad together? I'm pretty sure Ferguson knows he won't be there forever and nor will Giggs and co so obviously we are planning for the future or already have. I'm not supporting the debt but I presume there is a plan involved underwise we would have been in Liverpools position so we are not in a dangerous state atm.

Wayne Rooney who was willing not to sign his new contract because he cares about whether the club will be able to compete for trophies? For some reason I can't believe for one minute that Rooney relates to that concern. At the end of the day who is Rooney to question Ferguson's decisions

Jinn

Question, do you think the current Utd squad is good enough? Does it not need investment? Are Scholes and Giggs going to be carrying on forever? Is Ferguson carrying on forever? Are you not worried we are 720 million pounds in debt?

Now also ask yourself if you where a 25 year old footballer who doesn't support the football club (not doesn't care) would you not be worried by those things in signing a contract taking you through your peak years? Its quite simple Rooney questioned what Utd fans have been questioning for a while now.

I think that if Rooney wanted to know anything about the future of the club or seek assurances over anything he could have just called up a meeting with Fergie and discussed it.
Going around and and being a cnut, questioning the integrity of the club and smearing the name of Manchester Utd in the way he has done is just unforgivable.
His a money hungry cnut and that's just that!

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
I think that if Rooney wanted to know anything about the future of the club or seek assurances over anything he could have just called up a meeting with Fergie and discussed it.
Going around and and being a cnut, questioning the integrity of the club and smearing the name of Manchester Utd in the way he has done is just unforgivable.
His a money hungry cnut and that's just that!
Indeed, how deluded must people be to believe otherwise

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Exactly. The last two pages have been arguments all based on the fact that he's earning 250k a week which only 1 or 2 rubbish sites have mentioned.

No way would we pay anyone 250k p/w and anyway the more "reputed" papers have all mentioned 140-170k
I've often wondered if there is a secret internet site somewhere that only football agents gain access to whenever they need to re-negogiate a players contract? I know most footballers are thick but would it really be common knowledge? I've read business magazines lists of footballers contracts which I tend to believe have some basis on facts but almost everything in the press and the internet seems to be complete guess work.

But, playing the game - If Rooney was on 90K and Rio on 120K I can see no way the club would go £160K+. Hell a 50% rise would be £135K+ which seems to be in the Chelsea range. Don't forget that the win bonuses and cup wins mount up to a very tidy amount on top of his 'basic'.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
According to many newspapers, he was offered a 260k per week deal at City. Seriously, I don't understand why Rooney's agents leaked the news to the media that Rooney won't be signing a new contract, surely it would have been better for them to keep it quiet, until everything was announced.

Once Fergie did his press-conference, it was inevitable that nearly everyone will be against Rooney, seriously it was a very dumb move on the part on Rooney's PR team to leak the news to the media.

Red Dreams

Once again, there is a difference between being offered it, and pushing for it. Between bargening for what you deserve relative to what you bring in, and holding your employer to randsom or threatening to weaken your company or jump ship to a rival. A difference between Giggs and Scholes being paid what they and the club think they're worth and what everyone is happy with, and Rooney and Cashley pimping their loyalties based on what they can get.

Just because this kind of greed is prevalent in other aspects of employment doesn't legitimise it. If I met someone who said they were annoyed their employer wasn't offering them 60k a week and only 55, I'd think they were a massive cnut with little perspective and avoid talking to them...So I'm well within my rights to think footballers are becoming rather disgusting human beings..But hey, it happens, bangerang!. Gordon Geko was a legend...etc etc etc, or whatever excusive point you lot seem to be trying to make.
of course it is all not money Mocks. Giggs, Scholes...and Keane could have made tons more. To many many people, money is not all that matters...and thank God for that.

But a footballer's playing life is pretty short. Can you blame them for trying to get as much as they can? Rooney could have a carrier threatening injury and he would be done.

But as for football,l I have long ago accepted the reality that the game that I love has become so commercialized. The working class man's game has been totally taken over by the 'Gordon Gekos'. But in spite of that they cannot take over the soul of the club. Be it Manchester United or any other club. That is the supporters like us.

So I will continue to have my heart lifted when Rooney scores another goal and feel like life is about to end when United lose.

On this whole episode, there is one thing I have faith in. That is I believe Sir Alex loves this club and he would not have done what he did if it was not good for Manchester United. In a way, he is the custodian of all our hopes and dreams as far as United is concerned.

excuse my rambling mate :)

wr8_utd

:'(
I've often wondered if there is a secret internet site somewhere that only football agents gain access to whenever they need to re-negogiate a players contract? I know most footballers are thick but would it really be common knowledge? I've read business magazines lists of footballers contracts which I tend to believe have some basis on facts but almost everything in the press and the internet seems to be complete guess work.

But, playing the game - If Rooney was on 90K and Rio on 120K I can see no way the club would go £160K+. Hell a 50% rise would be £135K+ which seems to be in the Chelsea range. Don't forget that the win bonuses and cup wins mount up to a very tidy amount on top of his 'basic'.
Yeah I can't believe we're paying him 250k a week. That's just ridiculous. There can't be a gap of 140k between our top and 2nd highest earners!

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
According to many newspapers, he was offered a 260k per week deal at City. Seriously, I don't understand why Rooney's agents leaked the news to the media that Rooney won't be signing a new contract, surely it would have been better for them to keep it quiet, until everything was announced.

Once Fergie did his press-conference, it was inevitable that nearly everyone will be against Rooney, seriously it was a very dumb move on the part on Rooney's PR team to leak the news to the media.
we will only know in the future.

Jinn

No, I think everyone realises it's mainly about cash. That said, he could've got a lot more at City.
The only issue i have, and this is hypothetical, is that a deal was struck between Rooney and Utd for him to sign the contract and then come the summer or even a year after that he would be sold to *insert club hear*

We have got to bear in mind that if Rooney did not sign this contract, Utd would HAVE had to have sold him to the highest bidder come January. Bearing in mind all the clubs vying for him would not break the bank knowing that Utd need to sell. This would have been unacceptable for a club like Utd.

And if Rooney had struck a deal with a club with regards to salary and signing on fees, he could have just as easily run down his contract or bought it outright.

Taking all this into account, Utd had to give into the demands of their most valuable player(money wise). If this is the case, i don't think SAF would be very happy about the whole situation.

Watch this space.:nervous:

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
[/B]
well he should be, because it's obscene!
Accepting 250k is fine, nobody would say 'no' to that, let's be honest.

But squeezing the club for 250k (which is more than even players like Ronaldo or Messi earn) is just greedy and money grabbing. It's very bemusing that we have let a little scouser destroy our reasonable wage structure.

We simply can't compete with ManCity and we shouldn't try because in the long run we can't afford wages like that. What's next? Should we double Berbatov's wages, too? It won't do the dressing room any favours. I understand why Fergie and Gill did everything to keep him, but from my perspective it's a major f*ck up because in the long run we won't profit from this decision.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
of course it is all not money Mocks. Giggs, Scholes...and Keane could have made tons more. To many many people, money is not all that matters...and thank God for that.

But a footballer's playing life is pretty short. Can you blame them for trying to get as much as they can? Rooney could have a carrier threatening injury and he would be done.

But as for football,l I have long ago accepted the reality that the game that I love has become so commercialized. The working class man's game has been totally taken over by the 'Gordon Gekos'. But in spite of that they cannot take over the soul of the club. Be it Manchester United or any other club. That is the supporters like us.

So I will continue to have my heart lifted when Rooney scores another goal and feel like life is about to end when United lose.

On this whole episode, there is one thing I have faith in. That is I believe Sir Alex loves this club and he would not have done what he did if it was not good for Manchester United. In a way, he is the custodian of all our hopes and dreams as far as United is concerned.

excuse my rambling mate :)
I don't think you can include Keano in that money doesn't matter point.

Footballers have insurance.

Would argue the Gekos have actually taken over the soul of a few clubs such as Chelsea & Citeh. Can't see many of their 'current' fans protesting much either.

Totally agree with your other points though ;)

Cina

Hang on, last time I checked the rumors were 160k? Now they're 250k?

Is there any viable source for this? I'd be more shocked than anything that's happened before if it was that much.

Red Dreams

I don't think you can include Keano in that money doesn't matter point.

Footballers have insurance.

Would argue the Gekos have actually taken over the soul of a few clubs such as Chelsea & Citeh. Can't see many of their 'current' fans protesting much either.

Totally agree with your other points though ;)
Keano would have got a lot more in Italy. Yes. He did want more and it was fair they gave him that. Sure they have insurance. But it would be related to what they were earning.

Spoony

The People's President
Accepting 250k is fine, nobody would say 'no' to that, let's be honest.

But squeezing the club for 250k (which is more than even players like Ronaldo or Messi earn) is just greedy and money grabbing. It's very bemusing that we have let a little scouser destroy our reasonable wage structure.

We simply can't compete with ManCity and we shouldn't try because in the long run we can't afford wages like that. What's next? Should we double Berbatov's wages, too? It won't do the dressing room any favours. I understand why Fergie and Gill did everything to keep him, but from my perspective it's a major f*ck up because in the long run we won't profit from this decision.
He's not earning £250k a week.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
It's not 250k.

Although the likes of Lailani will no doubt spit out this figure until they're blue in the face.
Squeezing the club for 190k would still be greedy. I don't know what your point is or why you are singling me out.

You are probably my favourite hypocrite on the caf, as long as media reports fit into your agenda you are happy to quote or mention them. As soon as they don't fit into your agenda it's all 'stupid Lailiani relying on even more stupid reports'.

Godfather

What I think about it?
Yes, I think it's good enough. A club could always need investments, that goes for every club, in every position.
We have many youngsters that look very exciting.
And about the debts I'm not going to answer as I'm just not informed enough to make an objective point.

If I had worries about a club's ambition that has won the league 3 times in the last 4 years and were only short of 1 point to win it the 4th time?
No, simple as.
So you have actually questioned United's ambitions? Well that tells me a lot.

:lol: What that has got to do with anything...:lol:

And generally, I'm of the opinion, that a player really shouldnt make signing a new contract dependent on future investments of the club, especially not a man that has claimed, he wanted a life-long contract just few months before.
That is so pathetic... No player, really no player is bigger than the club and when he is unhappy here, then leave for feck's sake.
But to try and put the club under pressure with such statements is just so out of character for Rooney and really dissapointing.

Whether the whole story was just to get bigger wages or really to try and force the club to future investments, this thing is generally just so wrong imo.

When you think differently about it fine, but don't come and make so stupid comments like "Ronaldo fans", that makes you look dumb, believe me.
For me the whole Ronaldo saga was, although there were many parts that angered me, not as lowbrow as this, and that has nothing to do with me beeing a "Ronaldo fanboi". I probably was when he was here, but since he left I haven't seen a single Real Madrid game and couldnt give two shits about him anymore.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Squeezing the club for 190k would still be greedy. I don't know what your point is or why you are singling me out.

You are probably my favourite hypocrite on the caf, as long as media reports fit into your agenda you are happy to quote or mention them. As soon as they don't fit into your agenda it's all 'stupid Lailiani relying on even more stupid reports'.
Bit harsh on yourself but you're not far wrong.

Have a read of the reports from the more reputable papers. The 250k fee comes from including image rights into the overall sum. Which is not usually considered part of the salaries quoted for footballers.

Oh and his salary was going up regardless. That's the way these things work. A key player at one of the biggest clubs in the world was always going to end up one of the best paid. No matter how much you dislike him, personally.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Bit harsh on yourself but you're not far wrong.
Well, stupid people can learn. Arrogant hypocrites can't because they lack any reasonable deeper insight.

Have a read of the reports from the more reputable papers. The 250k fee comes from including image rights into the overall sum. Which is not usually considered part of the salaries quoted for footballers.
It seems to have escaped your attention that the issue I have is not to do with a certain sum. I mentioned the 250k because that's the sum that was the sum in the papers, that, as unreliable they are, are probably still more reliable than Pogue Mahone from Redcafe.

My problem with Wayne Rooney: According to Fergie, he was offered a huge contract which would have made him one of the best paid players in the UK and he was still not happy with it. THAT is greedy. And I'm not even mentioning the fact how he spoke about his teammates and the club.

He's clearly overestimating himself, but then again this is probably the reason why you find it easy to relate to him, after all most people like human beings who are similar to them.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
The contract is supposedly worth 160K, with the image rights believed to be worth an additional 90K a week (dividing the total worth by 52).

Club insiders say that there was NO significant additions to the contract given in August, supposedly a 5K addition to the weekly salary. (Which would probably make Ashley Cole swerve off the road in his car though)

I have no links to substantiate this, just news from the grapevine.

Alex

I think it would awesome if the new contract was at decrease pau

Godfather

That's the bottom line.

I note the 250k/week rumour is gaining traction on here. I hope everyone realises that's not the actual salary mentioned? The salary is 160k/week, the rest is image rights (which isn't usually included when salaries are discussed)

Obviously, 160k/week is an obscene amount of money but let's at least get the figures right.
Where do you get that from? Aren't those figures from the daily mail?
I dont believe any salary figures, till there is a reliable source officially revealing them.

B Cantona

Desperate
Don't you start falling for that Pogue, I expect it from some of the others, but you're sensible enough to realise I'm not someone clouded by bias, if I think MUST have done wrong, I'll say so. As I have several times on here for instance. My connects with MUST are actually very loose. In the Cider incident I just happen to think they acted fairly, and the real chump in the situation gets away with it

Red_Jamie

Well, stupid people can learn. Arrogant hypocrites can't because they lack any reasonable deeper insight.

It seems to have escaped your attention that the issue I have is not to do with a certain sum. I mentioned the 250k because that's the sum that was the sum in the papers, that, as unreliable they are, are probably still more reliable than Pogue Mahone from Redcafe.

My problem with Wayne Rooney: According to Fergie, he was offered a huge contract which would have made him one of the best paid players in the UK and he was still not happy with it. THAT is greedy. And I'm not even mentioning the fact how he spoke about his teammates and the club.

He's clearly overestimating himself, but then again this is probably the reason why you find it easy to relate to him, after all most people like human beings who are similar to them.
Has it occurred to you though (as has been mentioned countless times in this thread and lost in the masses of assumptions) that Rooney might not have cared how much money he was being offered? Has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, the reasons he gave for wanting to leave in the statement ( i,e the lack of ambition, an inability to bring the worlds best talent the the club) could have been genuine?

People are presuming his decision was based on money with nothing but an ever-growing rumour mill of made up stories as 'proof' that it was.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Where do you get that from? Aren't those figures from the daily mail?
I dont believe any salary figures, till there is a reliable source officially revealing them.
Yeah, I've no idea how genuine any of them are.

I was just explaining where the 250k comes from. Where I saw it mentioned there was an explanation that it came from a salary of 160k and image rights of 90k.

Godfather

Yeah, I've no idea how genuine any of them are.

I was just explaining where the 250k comes from. Where I saw it mentioned there was an explanation that it came from a salary of 160k and image rights of 90k.
OH right.
Yeah the 250k are most likely bollox (there was a source, differently to yours, that claimed, the wages alone were 250k).

CantonaVeron

Wayne Rooney who was willing not to sign his new contract because he cares about whether the club will be able to compete for trophies? For some reason I can't believe for one minute that Rooney relates to that concern. At the end of the day who is Rooney to question Ferguson's decisions
He cares about whether the club is going to be successfull because it impacts on him, he left Everton because of this reason we all know this so god knows why people are vilifying him for it and calling him greedy when basically 99% of football players are the same. Its also hypocritical because alot of Utd fans are also questioning our squad and a net transfer investment since the Glazers took charge, especially in the face of selling Ronaldo and to a lesser extend not signing Tevez.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Lailani's a very good poster on most stuff. Loses the run of herself when Rooney or Ronaldo are being discussed though.

A bit like you and MUST.
Whereas you will just completely change your opinion at the drop of a hat...Yep, definitely classy Bradders

This need quoting. In large text.

Rooney's treading new ground here. Loads of examples of players who fancied a move, whether for a better chance of a trophy, or a fatter contract (Torres and Fabregas spring to mind) but this is the first time any footballer has ever tried to bully the club/manager into giving him what he wants with such a public display of dissent. Fergie can't ever pick him again after this. He's been astonishingly disrespectful to his manager and his team-mates. There's no way he can start another game.

I couldn't give a feck about whether there's any truth to his alleged reasons for wanting to leave (and there might well be) but the way he's going about it is setting a new low.

And he's doing all this immediately after spending the summer letting down his country and disgracing his family?

Absolutely despicable human being. Scum of the earth. I hope he's shown the door tomorrow. Don't give a feck whether we get any money for him or not. Not fit to wear the shirt.