MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I have no loyalty to MUST though, its weird you lot keep preaching it! If they went in a direction I didn't agree with, I'd make that known and certainly cease to be a member

As you say, its their goals I admire, and as the group doing the most to achieve that, I'm happy with what they're doing

I guess because they've had so much publicity in recent times, they're there to be knocked and shot at. Sadly despite their aims quite a lot of United supporters on here are very quick, very vicious and sometimes quite personal in doing so
No worse than they have been towards their own players and manager. In those terms, MUST are nobody, so not surprising they get stick on an internet forum. What is a suprise is the constant 'surprise' that someone could get stick.

B Cantona

Desperate
Posters having a vicious or personal pop at our own players / manager are rightly mocked and derided. Sack Fergie sell Giggs and all that

Not a stunningly robust defence of the quality of poster we have on here at time Moses! :)

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Posters having a vicious or personal pop at our own players / manager are rightly mocked and derided. Sack Fergie sell Giggs and all that

Not a stunningly robust defence of the quality of poster we have on here at time Moses! :)
Yep, but they do have a crack at the core of the club is all I'm saying, so if they do that, they'll do anything.

And nobody would care if the MUST critics were mocked/derired, I don't think that's what caused the issue.

As for the quality - eveyone knows the depths of any internet forum is going to contain some rare specimens! But people can ignore the clowns and bask in your wisdom!

I'm off in case I get into a conversation, I'm still reflecting on this week and it's effects. I'm thinking of turning to drugs. I'm sure that's the answer.

Brophs

The One and Only

Brad, are you bring deliberately obtuse? It's perfectly fine to criticise players on here provided you back up what you're saying and are constructive. Obviously this being a discussion forum people will disagree. As they do on the MUST issue. They aren't beyond crtiticism nor should they be. Ultimately I'd like to think constructive criticism will help them represent the supporters better.

Like every issue we discuss on here, some people will hold a view regardless of the arguments put forward whereas others will judge each issue on its merits. MUST and their conduct is no different.

TheMancRedDevil

And he did it in a public statement why?
Well, it was all out in the open by that stage. Fergie had delivered his version of events publically the day before and so Rooney gave his the day after.

All he said was that prior to signing the contract, he sought assurances about future spending but wasn't given those assurances.

It's actually nothing different to what we have all been thinking for the last year or two. We all know Scholes, Giggs, Neville and VDS are on their way out, they can't go on forever. That isn't being disrespectful, that's a fact.

Rooney clearly wanted assurances that when these kind of players retire, there are funds available to replace them. I don't see what the problem is.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm off in case I get into a conversation, I'm still reflecting on this week and it's effects. I'm thinking of turning to drugs. I'm sure that's the answer.
Drugs is always the answer*

*this is a personal opinion only and is not necessarily healthy, safe or suggested.

B Cantona

Desperate
Brad, are you bring deliberately obtuse? It's perfectly fine to criticise players on here provided you back up what you're saying and are constructive. Obviously this being a discussion forum people will disagree. As they do on the MUST issue. They aren't beyond crtiticism nor should they be. Ultimately I'd like to think constructive criticism will help them represent the supporters better.

Like every issue we discuss on here, some people will hold a view regardless of the arguments put forward whereas others will judge each issue on its merits. MUST and their conduct is no different.
Having never said MUST are beyond criticism, I don't think I'm being obtuse no

Perhaps we have differing opinions of what 'constructive' is?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Are you agreeing that you've been a cnut when it comes to posting about Berbatov Brad?

B Cantona

Desperate
Hehe most probably Fishfingers

I think my criticisms of Berbatov were fair. The debates always reached their most intense when people claimed he was playing well when he wasn't

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Heard so, depending on bonuses

Brophs

The One and Only
Having never said MUST are beyond criticism, I don't think I'm being obtuse no

Perhaps we have differing opinions of what 'constructive' is?
Nah, but it looks to me from having read your posts over the last few months like you're trying to imply that most of the stick they get on here is vicious/personal (apologies if I've picked you up wrong) which should be 'rightly mocked and derided'. Which it quite plainly isn't.

Perhaps we do. I would say that if MUST are committed to improving then some of what is levelled at them on here is what they should be working on. And then obviously there's the abuse which can be freely discounted.

Personally I'm interested in what they're doing but I don't know enough (through not being informed by them) about the Red Knights to decide that putting them in control would be a good thing.

wr8_utd

:'(
Denis Law, the King of the Stretford End, has revealed how he put himself in a similar situation to Wayne Rooney over a contract. Whilst Rooney has now put pen to paper on a deal worth £160k-a-week, Law reveals how it has amused him to watch the fuss and compare it to the row he had with Sir Matt Busby over a £10-a-week pay rise.

“I couldn’t help smile as I thought back to the time when I also said I would leave the club if they refused my pay demand,” said Law. “I have no idea about the details of Rooney’s contract or the kind of sums involved, but I suspect there was a slight difference in what we were looking for. Back in 1966, I asked Matt Busby for a rise of £10 a week! His response was to bring it all out in the open. He announced that he wouldn’t be held to ransom and had put me on the transfer list. I don’t know about Wayne, but I never really wanted to leave United. I was just trying it on. And in fact there was never any animosity. Matt sorted it with me very cleverly. He gave me a prepared statement of apology to sign and he presented it to the press. He had proved again what a strong manager he was and I was back on board. What Matt didn’t reveal was that he had secretly given me the tenner. That was his way of handling things.”

Law also reflected on the modern state of the game, where players move around so freely and football has become totally money related.

“Every player wants to do the best for himself and his family and I understand that,” he continued. “But nowadays it seems to be much more of a business. What happened to the real love of football? Why don’t we read more about players’ ability and wonderful skills? Let’s hope that now this chapter has closed we’ll hear more about Wayne Rooney the footballer and Manchester United the great club.”

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Ok this is my only post on this whole Rooney debacle/saga.

Speculate if you will but it is only speculation.

Nobody knows the real story.

From here he looks like a huge cnut. And he probably is.

But Rooney plays the way I would play if I was a footballer. Thats why I (we) love him.

Money and fame makes us do stupid shit. Rooney and top footballers are so out of touch with reality its ridiculous. If people go up to you and tell you you are the shit since your around 12 or whatever will warp your mind no matter what. There is no sense judging football stars these days because they are backed by people who are trying to make money off them.

Lets just get behiind the best English player out there. He plays for us. He has helped us win great things. The manager obviously rates him extremely high.

I have never seen a footballer loft a cross field pass so effortlessly and perfectly besides Scholes. Rooney is special. He decided to stay. He wanted more money. Same with all of you people and me. I want more money and if i could I would do anything to increase my paycheque. This is how the world is run. I don't like it, you don't like it. Rooney and football now is a refelction of the real world. These are the times we live in. I am trying to look past all the dollars and hype and bullshit and just enjoy watching some amazing athletes play for a team I love.

Peace.

Devil may care

Ruud Gullit is surprised Wayne Rooney has stayed at Manchester United after his dig at his team-mates - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Ruud Gullit knows all about using player power to force a transfer.

After all, he did it himself to quit PSV Eindhoven to join the AC Milan in a world record transfer that made him a multi-millionaire.

That was back in 1987 when he cost Milan £6million. He joined a Milan bandwagon that was set to conquer Europe.

PSV remain the club owned and sponsored by Philips, the electrical giants.

At the time, and with the transfer battle raging at PSV, he described himself as “the whore of Philips and Eindhoven.”

He even claimed he was “nothing different to the club’s owners than a Philips iron!”

Of course, Gullit got his way. He moved to Italy.

So Gullit knows better than anyone what went through Wayne Rooney’s mind this week and has revealed his fears about Rooney’s current status in the United dressing room.

Gullit said: “All the pressure was on Rooney from the minute he said that his team-mates were *not good enough for him. Because that was his message.

“You don’t want, and can’t keep, a player who says such things about the club and the team.

“What happened next? He got injured in training and is out for a number of weeks.”

United initially said Rooney would be out for two to three weeks. It now appears the ankle injury sustained in training last Tuesday will keep him out until December.

Rooney did issue an apology to his colleagues after deciding to sign his new five year contract with United.

But the perspective of seeing an alternative club as bigger than United perplexes the former Chelsea and Newcastle manager.

Gullit explained: “Normally you change club if you want to find a better club for yourself as a top player.

“There is not only the finances to think about, but also the sporting ambitions and perspective.

“But how can you find a better and bigger club if you already play for the best and biggest club in the world?

“When you look at the list of clubs who can afford Wayne Rooney, then there are only three. Real Madrid, *Manchester City and *Chelsea.

“I think Wayne realised this at the last minute and decided to choose the safe haven of Old Trafford.”

Turning to the way United boss Ferguson handled the Rooney contract row, Gullit added: “I bet Alex Ferguson has had enough of agents by now.

“I don’t get the impression that *Rooney’s agent Paul Stretford has *impressed Ferguson with his *actions.

“Given the benefit of *hindsight, I’d say the fact that that Rooney made up with *United and stayed was a major surprise.

“In fact, that’s putting it mildly!

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Ruud Gullit is surprised Wayne Rooney has stayed at Manchester United after his dig at his team-mates - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Ruud Gullit knows all about using player power to force a transfer.

After all, he did it himself to quit PSV Eindhoven to join the AC Milan in a world record transfer that made him a multi-millionaire.

That was back in 1987 when he cost Milan £6million. He joined a Milan bandwagon that was set to conquer Europe.

PSV remain the club owned and sponsored by Philips, the electrical giants.

At the time, and with the transfer battle raging at PSV, he described himself as “the whore of Philips and Eindhoven.”

He even claimed he was “nothing different to the club’s owners than a Philips iron!”

Of course, Gullit got his way. He moved to Italy.

So Gullit knows better than anyone what went through Wayne Rooney’s mind this week and has revealed his fears about Rooney’s current status in the United dressing room.

Gullit said: “All the pressure was on Rooney from the minute he said that his team-mates were *not good enough for him. Because that was his message.

“You don’t want, and can’t keep, a player who says such things about the club and the team.

“What happened next? He got injured in training and is out for a number of weeks.”

United initially said Rooney would be out for two to three weeks. It now appears the ankle injury sustained in training last Tuesday will keep him out until December.

Rooney did issue an apology to his colleagues after deciding to sign his new five year contract with United.

But the perspective of seeing an alternative club as bigger than United perplexes the former Chelsea and Newcastle manager.

Gullit explained: “Normally you change club if you want to find a better club for yourself as a top player.

“There is not only the finances to think about, but also the sporting ambitions and perspective.

“But how can you find a better and bigger club if you already play for the best and biggest club in the world?

“When you look at the list of clubs who can afford Wayne Rooney, then there are only three. Real Madrid, *Manchester City and *Chelsea.

“I think Wayne realised this at the last minute and decided to choose the safe haven of Old Trafford.”

Turning to the way United boss Ferguson handled the Rooney contract row, Gullit added: “I bet Alex Ferguson has had enough of agents by now.

“I don’t get the impression that *Rooney’s agent Paul Stretford has *impressed Ferguson with his *actions.

“Given the benefit of *hindsight, I’d say the fact that that Rooney made up with *United and stayed was a major surprise.

“In fact, that’s putting it mildly!

What? when did this happen?

Sw33t

But Rooney plays the way I would play if I was a footballer. Thats why I (we) love him.
I can't speak for everyone, but I know I wont be able to love him again. No matter what. I may change my opinion of him being a massive feck to liking him in a few years if he's still here, but I wont show anywhere near as much affection to him as I did last season. He's ruined that for me now

TheMancRedDevil

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I wont be able to love him again. No matter what. I may change my opinion of him being a massive feck to liking him in a few years if he's still here, but I wont show anywhere near as much affection to him as I did last season. He's ruined that for me now
That's sad to hear. He sought assurances. They weren't given to him. He couldn't commit his future on that basis. Come on. He could walk into any team in the world so why would he stay with a club that couldn't offer him assurances that they could continue to compete?

He got the Glazers on the blower, they told him some stuff, assurances were given and so he signed.

The worst thing about all this shit is why it had to become public before the assurances were given.

Sw33t

He didn't have to go about it the way he did. Disrespected the club, the current squad and the fans. And those "assurances" were quite obviously a bit more green in his pocket each week. More than a bit, in fact, a feck load more. Saying his football is all about winning trophies and he wanted to move to achieve that (or similar words) was implying he thinks we're not capable, or he thought that before his nice little pay bump. How public it all got probably didn't help, with his statement and how stressed SAF looks and all, but he's still a bender

In other news:

"Manchester United are adamant Wayne Rooney will see out his new five-year deal and have dismissed the conspiracy theory that the club agreed to an expensive long contract extension to protect their own interests by raising his future transfer fee"

Manchester United reject conspiracy theory over Wayne Rooney | Football | The Observer

Ekeke

He didn't have to go about it the way he did. Disrespected the club, the current squad and the fans. And those "assurances" were quite obviously a bit more green in his pocket each week. More than a bit, in fact, a feck load more. Saying his football is all about winning trophies and he wanted to move to achieve that (or similar words) was implying he thinks we're not capable, or he thought that before his nice little pay bump. How public it all got probably didn't help, with his statement and how stressed SAF looks and all, but he's still a bender

In other news:

"Manchester United are adamant Wayne Rooney will see out his new five-year deal and have dismissed the conspiracy theory that the club agreed to an expensive long contract extension to protect their own interests by raising his future transfer fee"

Manchester United reject conspiracy theory over Wayne Rooney | Football | The Observer
Are we adamant like Rooney was adamant he wanted to leave? Because if so, we'll change our minds in 2 days.

TheMancRedDevil

We don't actually know what contract Rooney was offered yet do we?

Personally, I believe Rooney on this one. There's no doubt in my mind that he could have received more by signing for City and make no mistake about it, City would have LOVED to get one over on us by whisking our star player away from us. It would have been a double-whammy. Improve their squad and feck ours up in one fell swoop.

I genuinely believe that Rooney had concerns about the rumours that we were skint and couldn't afford to buy players.

I have said on this forum (before all this shit with Rooney) that there would be at least £50-60m to be spent on players next summer and I got laughed at.

That says to me that few people believed we had money to spend but we had a string of players about to retire. It has been a major concern for everybody. Why not Rooney, too?

Have we been disrespectful to the club for doubting that we have the money (or the ambition) to compete with the likes of Chelsea, Real, Barca and City, too?

AlwaysRedwood

That's sad to hear. He sought assurances. They weren't given to him. He couldn't commit his future on that basis. Come on. He could walk into any team in the world so why would he stay with a club that couldn't offer him assurances that they could continue to compete?

He got the Glazers on the blower, they told him some stuff, assurances were given and so he signed.

The worst thing about all this shit is why it had to become public before the assurances were given.
First of all, your taking his word for it that he was not given assurances. Sound like a load of complete horseshit to me. You think Gill just sat there and said, "no, we'll probably slip out of a CL spot. Maybe become a mid table team." Ridiculous thing to believe.

Second, it became public because Rooney's people made it public.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Comments from Paddy C

" It’s amazing the people who have contacted me pre & prior to the Wayne Rooney saga and it just emphasizes to me the magnitude of Manchester United and what it means to the most important people, you the supporters.

Ted Beckham contacted my son Danny to express his happiness and confusion of the last week and this from a man, whose son is alongside Tiger Woods, probably the most famous sportsman on the planet. Yet his father a fanatical supporter wants to know about his club keeping the best players. This was followed by Rod Stewart’s right hand man; Luka, who contacted me from L.A. (really showbiz) about the signing of Wayne and he just wanted me to know that “How good it was to get up and hear such great news over the other side of the pond and now Manchester United can get back and focus on what they do best”. It never ceases to amaze me the romance, passion and fanaticism a football club from the North of England can emanate in peoples souls from all over the world."

I think with the events of this week and the highs and lows for all concerned at Manchester United, I believe this will work to the managers advantage in his pre match team talk. As a consequence I think we can secure our first away win of the season and start our push for an unequalled 19th Title.

I thought I would share with you some of the details about genuine items I showed the Manager at Carrington today. They were of poignant interest especially after what has evolved in the press and it also demonstrates the changes in Football.

The items I showed the manager were the playing contracts of former Manchester United Legends, namely Tommy Taylor, Dennis Viollet and “The King” Denis Law. The contracts detailed the salaries of these great players;Tommy Taylor 1954/55 season £15 a week and reduced to £12 if he did not play, whereas Denis Viollet in the 1957/58 season £17 per week and reduced to £14 when he did not play. As for the Lawman; when he signed for City in 1973/74 season, he was paid the princely sum of £100 per week with a £250 signing on fee and if he played 25 games that season he would earn a further £4500.Changed days and I wonder what wages and benefits these greats would secure today in the modern game. Anyway let’s hope the reds come back to winning ways tomorrow.Cheers"

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
From a supporter's point of view, why does it matter to be 150k or 200k or 125k?
1. Because the supporters eventually pay for the wage hike. Do you think it comes out of the Glazer's pocket personally?
2. With the club in debt, there will be some restrictions surrounding the budget and Gill wouldn't have a blank check on the wage bill of the squad. Paying Rooney far more than he is worth means less for the rest of the squad. It may mean a Carrick being sold or JOS being transferred. They are not as important as Rooney but the squad wins trophies, not one player. Weakening the squad to pay more to one player doesn't improve us a team.
3. The squad would improve if we paid say Sneijder and Higuain 180k a week combined rather than pay that to one player in Rooney. He is no where near as good to command twice as much as a top class player.

kundalini

1. Because the supporters eventually pay for the wage hike. Do you think it comes out of the Glazer's pocket personally?
2. With the club in debt, there will be some restrictions surrounding the budget and Gill wouldn't have a blank check on the wage bill of the squad. Paying Rooney far more than he is worth means less for the rest of the squad. It may mean a Carrick being sold or JOS being transferred. They are not as important as Rooney but the squad wins trophies, not one player. Weakening the squad to pay more to one player doesn't improve us a team.
3. The squad would improve if we paid say Sneijder and Higuain 180k a week combined rather than pay that to one player in Rooney. He is no where near as good to command twice as much as a top class player.
Excellent post. I can't believe how many people seemed to have missed this fundamental point.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
This is a tactic to get Rooney to sign a contract, nothing more.
Its SAF trying to get him to sign a contract by dialing up the fan pressure.
Was I the only person who thought Rooney would change his mind after SAFs masterful performance and the eventual public outrage over Rooney's actions?

Perhaps me and SAF