MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
This simply cant be true...didn't Newcastle better our offer when we originally signed him. I am certain its not about the money and even if it were, we would still offer him the contract to become the highest paid player in the world.

Its SAF trying to get him to sign a contract by dialing up the fan pressure.
Newcastle were going nowhere when they bid. Rooney was always going to United. City have money and are going somewhere.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The only rational reason for giving an exclusive to this story and it not being for cash would be to latch an insane amount of conditions to how you're portrayed and what goes into the piece.

Those are the sort of conditions most papers wouldn't accept.

Also he's fighting a losing PR battle. He had the first shot here, with his reps calling up journos on Sunday night and allegedly throwing Fergie under the bus for not being "supportive" of him, etc.

His best plan would be something that is available to everyone, not an exclusive.

It makes no sense except money.

When a story like this breaks you don't go into "negotiations with" a paper for an exclusive, you tell your story or you lose the PR war.
If he starts giving interviews personally to the press rather than doing so through his agent he has in effect gone rogue, i wonder if there are clauses in a player's contract about interaction with the media.

Maroon Lucifer

* The club stand to lose millions over a player they could have tied to a long term deal a few months ago.
Negotiations couldn't begin until February, because Rooney's agent Paul Stretford, was banned from acting as anybody's agent for 18 months. You can wiki or google it.
As I understand it, a contract offer was on the table in March, but Gill called Fergie in mid August, and told him that Rooney had no intention signing an extension. It even seems from what has been said today, that the offer hasn't even been considered or looked at.
To add fuel to the fire, Redknapp and Merson both said today that they had no doubt whatsoever, that a deal is already in order, because no player wouldn't even consider an extension, if they didn't already have a deal in order elsewhere. It makes sense.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If he starts giving interviews personally to the press rather than doing so through his agent he has in effect gone rogue, i wonder if there are clauses in a player's contract about interaction with the media.
If a player becomes a detriment to the club/team, most leagues allow a player to be placed on a suspension list or deactivated. They still receive their weekly pay. It's common in the US leagues.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
If a player becomes a detriment to the club/team, most leagues allow a player to be placed on a suspension list or deactivated. They still receive their weekly pay. It's common in the US leagues.
True but
1) The Premiership doesnt have the same rules
2) Even if it did, suspension/deactivation isnt necessarily a gag order preventing the player from talking to the press

jazza13

Well you could argue forever what his true valuation should be, what many Man United fans would consider to be unfair because of his contract situation many not connected with the club would say is due to being out of form for the best part of a year after only one year at a peak level.

A player the level of Rooney does not become openly available on the market at all often - Man City build big for anyone that has ever been for a trial in the premier league, Chelsea will obviously be thinking about how to replace Drogba long term, Madrid are always making bids for 'marquee' players whilst no doubt Barcelona would be interested as well. Do you not believe they will not all force each other to keep the valuation of any bid very high?
I don't think SAF would let him go to City or Chelsea.. And even though they would outbid each other, United would in all likelihood sell him off to Madrid/Barca/Inter. Barca, I don't think would be after another big signing (aren't they in pretty big debt at the mo?) Madrid, well likely, but do they need him? Besides Mouinho is there and he does make some pretty shrewd transfers and will know that they are the team SAF would be most likely to sell to. As for Inter, Rooney and Rafa? That'll be a sight.

Alek M

Da manic one
Not really. Look at the Pandev situation at Lazio. He entered in the final year of the contract and did not want to renew. Lazio did not want to sell, so they left him out from training and playing. Pandev went to court who canceled the contract and in January he joined Inter.

Bearded but no genius

I don't think SAF would let him go to City or Chelsea.. And even though they would outbid each other, United would in all likelihood sell him off to Madrid/Barca/Inter. Barca, I don't think would be after another big signing (aren't they in pretty big debt at the mo?) Madrid, well likely, but do they need him? Besides Mouinho is there and he does make some pretty shrewd transfers and will know that they are the team SAF would be most likely to sell to. As for Inter, Rooney and Rafa? That'll be a sight.
Can you imagine the fry-ups if Rooney and Rafa were at the same club?

They'd have to expand all the doorways.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
"If" Rooney starts our games, am pretty sure the news from Fergie is not completely true.

If it were true, would Fergie bench Berba (in the best form of his life) and Chicarito (starting to find some form) to play someone who is letting the club down ?

If he wants away, should Rooney start for us ?

RedCanuck

I don't know about you lot but I'm a United supporter for life, far longer than any player (even Giggs :angel:) will play for the club. Rooney deciding to leave (while it hurts at the moment) won't see me getting riled about the state of affairs at the club.

Quite frankly I can understand why he would leave, its about cash. If United have offered a 'fair' value to Rooney, lets say £150,000 a week for arguments sake (£7.8 million a year), and 'someone' has let it be known they would pay him £250,000 a week (£13 million a year), well who can blame him for taking a massive pay-raise, not me.

Clearly he is worth much more to someone else than he is to United, it's up to 'them' to justify the cost.

jazza13

Can anyone explain the fact that Rooney wanted out since the 14 Aug, where his scandal was after that ? The fact he wanted to move should not be due to marriage reasons from my understanding....
I think the marriage angle is complete bollocks, personally I find it hard to believe that the Mrs. had no idea about Rooney's "extra-curricular activities" before it came out in the press. That being said, even though the scandal did come out after he handed in his transfer request, I'd bet the family already knew about the scandal and so if Colleen wanted to pressure him on a move, she would've already done that.

Neutral

BTV
Not really. Look at the Pandev situation at Lazio. He entered in the final year of the contract and did not want to renew. Lazio did not want to sell, so they left him out from training and playing. Pandev went to court who canceled the contract and in January he joined Inter.
We play him in the reserves. No court is going to cite restriction of trade or whatever, if we are playing him at some level at United, and claim that he is simply there based on form.

We don't say he is a divisive cancer, or make derogatory statements in the media...surely he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

*I realize this is all hypothetical, and there is no chance things will go down this route, but he has no chance in hell in a court case.

TheReligion

Abusive
Negotiations couldn't begin until February, because Rooney's agent Paul Stretford, was banned from acting as anybody's agent for 18 months. You can wiki or google it.
As I understand it, a contract offer was on the table in March, but Gill called Fergie in mid August, and told him that Rooney had no intention signing an extension. It even seems from what has been said today, that the offer hasn't even been considered or looked at.
To add fuel to the fire, Redknapp and Merson both said today that they had no doubt whatsoever, that a deal is already in order, because no player wouldn't even consider an extension, if they didn't already have a deal in order elsewhere. It makes sense.
Yeah that did worry me. For Rooney to not even consider an offer from United, whom have stated they are prepared to move the earth to keep him, is beyond odd.

This is what makes me think it isn't down to money. Rooney has known about his dirty washing being hung out for sometime, and I would imagine Coleen has too. It makes much more sense, at this moment in time, for a move abroad away from the media and ghosts he has saddled himself with.

Perhaps I am giving him too much credit, but he may not want to leave as much as is being stated. Would go some way to explaining his baffling change of heart from describing United as the club he wants to be at forever and wanting to play more than 800 games for the club..

TheReligion

Abusive
Can anyone explain the fact that Rooney wanted out since the 14 Aug, where his scandal was after that ? The fact he wanted to move should not be due to marriage reasons from my understanding....
There were various injunctions prior to this if you think back.

I would look at Rooney's form towards the end of last season to get a true indication as to when the shit really hit the fan.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
It was likely that he was made aware the revelations would be coming out. I fancy myself as a budding sports journo and recently did a week internship working in the boxing department at Sky. It was just my luck it happened to be the week following Ricky Hatton being revealed as a coke head.

A presenter there explained to us in the canteen at a Frank Warren PPV that the Sunday Mirror made him aware that the story would becoming out. At the time he was told this he was with his missus in London. Upon hearing the news he broke away from her and went on a massive bender, with a friend of his having to travel to London to pick him up.

As an extra kick it is said there is a WHOLE lot more to the Hatton story but the following week he did an exclusive interview with the NOTW to keep them quiet.

AlwaysRedwood

The only rational reason for giving an exclusive to this story and it not being for cash would be to latch an insane amount of conditions to how you're portrayed and what goes into the piece.

Those are the sort of conditions most papers wouldn't accept.

Also he's fighting a losing PR battle. He had the first shot here, with his reps calling up journos on Sunday night and allegedly throwing Fergie under the bus for not being "supportive" of him, etc.

His best plan would be something that is available to everyone, not an exclusive.

It makes no sense except money.

When a story like this breaks you don't go into "negotiations with" a paper for an exclusive, you tell your story or you lose the PR war.
This all reminds me of when Mike Tyson left his long time manager and went with Don King. Bad advice, bad decisions followed. This agent seems to be quite the cnut and even Man City fans won't think much of Rooney if he goes there.

giggsyflying

Football is not life. It is more than life.
of course i am disappointed but dont be too harsh to roon. otherwise, he wont join us in the first place and dont expect any other players contracted to their club should join us. if he wishes to go, let him go. some say we should not sell him to chelski or shitty. i think if the money is required to beef up the club, why not? esp we do need the money.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Firstly I hope this doesn’t bore people, but this whole Rooney situation reminds me of something that's just happened to one of our AFL teams currently. And it all just goes to show money really is destroying loyalty in today’s sporting environments.

Geelong Football Club have been at the top of the tree for the last three seasons (and will go down as arguably one of the greatest sides ever), having made the Grand Final three consecutive years in a row – to win it the Premiership twice, and losing it in-between the two wins.

During this reign we saw the emergence of the next great of our game – one Gary Ablett Jrn. Gary followed a similar path to that of Ronaldo in terms of development, in that he was an extremely talented junior but couldn’t put it all together. Then one day he did (though unlike Ronaldo his team mates had to have an airing of some home truths – ie, they told Gary they thought he needed to work much harder on the training track, and he did). The next season he absolutely exploded, and became the best player over the past four years (by far), racking up ridiculous stats in this time. He won the medal for best player in the league, and was robbed two of the three other seasons since his rise (polled top five in all four seasons).

Anyway, there’s more behind the Ablett name... Much more. Gary Ablett Snr, his father, was Geelong’s greatest ever player, and one of the top three players to have ever played the game. He was an absolute freak, and I’d liken him to George Best (just so you can draw comparative parallels)… A freak with many off field issues. That last part is irrelevant though. But what isn’t, is the sheer joy Geelong supporters got when they saw Ablett, the legendary name, absolutely dominate the game (again) like few have seen before…

You can obviously see where this is going though… Ablett, set to become an absolute legend of the game. Ablett, already achieved more than his father ever did in his career to date (winning a Premiership and a Brownlow Medal)… Ablett, a name to be forever remembered in Geelong Football Clubs’ history, there was nothing surer. He’s the kind of player/name Parents and Grandparents will be telling their children about for generations to come. Ablett….. Who turned his back on all this and just signed for the new Football franchise that’s just about to enter the AFL for BIG $$$$$$$$.

His relationship with his Coach had become strained throughout the course of the season too, much like what's rumoured to have happened with Rooney and Sir Alex too. Ablett wouldn't commit to a contract early, and there were whispers of the new side (Gold Coast Suns) sniffing around... He kept postponing talks throughout the season and the whispers became media-speculation, and then the circus began. In the end Geelong's coach ended up playing Ablett, the best midfielder in the competition, out of position in order to give other players (who were definitely going to be there in the future) a go. Though to Ablett's credit he still seemed to rack up the same numbers, but also added FAR more goals to his game - he was amazing wherever he played.

The sheer scope of this betrayal surpasses Rooney’s situation in the sense that he was destined to become an all time great of the game, there is no doubt. Becoming a top five player in the league’s 100+ year history was beckoning… But he’s chosen the money, and will now have to play for a new, thoroughly inexperienced side and will arguably not reach the same heights again (for several reasons: the scrutiny and pressure of being the ‘franchise’ player, as opposed to having so much support from the rest of his players at Geelong, who were all big seasoned players who could protect him and helped him get the best out of himself… etc).

Though the only excusable thing in all this is that the moneys involved in our game is a pittance compared to those thrown around in the EPL. A contract of $9 million over four years (not including marketing rights), compared to about $800k a year, was too good to turn down, as he’s obviously thinking about the rest of his life.

Still, Ablett had much more than a close tie to the club. He has family ties, the Ablett name will forever be etched into Geelong’s History (and it’s one of THE few oldest sporting clubs in the world). But money got in the way…

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Because he's the cnut United needs, but not the one it deserves right now...and so we'll boo him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a stupid wanker, an unfaithful husband...a complete twat.

Apparently.

It's not actually too clear that it's a parody on The Dark Knight comment someone made about Rafa last week...ah well.

Uncle Junior

Why is this making people "feel like crying"? Rooney doesn't owe anyone anything. If he has half a brain, he'd look after himself and his family first, and that means money. I'd do the same; I'd leave a company two times over if another one offers me a substantially better offer. And so will all of you, including the Hardcore Reds. Unless you're naive and believe in loyalty. This is a business, people come and go all the time. He'll leave, someone else will come along, so hang tight. And if his reasons for leaving are other than money, then they are probably related to keeping his family together, and in that case I'd still do what he's doing. Stop being so selfish.

Flying Fox

Firstly I hope this doesn’t bore people, but this whole Rooney situation reminds me of something that's just happened to one of our AFL teams currently. And it all just goes to show money really is destroying loyalty in today’s sporting environments.

Geelong Football Club have been at the top of the tree for the last three seasons (and will go down as arguably one of the greatest sides ever), having made the Grand Final three consecutive years in a row – to win it the Premiership twice, and losing it in-between the two wins.

During this reign we saw the emergence of the next great of our game – one Gary Ablett Jrn. Gary followed a similar path to that of Ronaldo in terms of development, in that he was an extremely talented junior but couldn’t put it all together. Then one day he did (though unlike Ronaldo his team mates had to have an airing of some home truths – ie, they told Gary they thought he needed to work much harder on the training track, and he did). The next season he absolutely exploded, and became the best player over the past four years (by far), racking up ridiculous stats in this time. He won the medal for best player in the league, and was robbed two of the three other seasons since his rise (polled top five in all four seasons).

Anyway, there’s more behind the Ablett name... Much more. Gary Ablett Snr, his father, was Geelong’s greatest ever player, and one of the top three players to have ever played the game. He was an absolute freak, and I’d liken him to George Best (just so you can draw comparative parallels)… A freak with many off field issues. That last part is irrelevant though. But what isn’t, is the sheer joy Geelong supporters got when they saw Ablett, the legendary name, absolutely dominate the game (again) like few have seen before…

You can obviously see where this is going though… Ablett, set to become an absolute legend of the game. Ablett, already achieved more than his father ever did in his career to date (winning a Premiership and a Brownlow Medal)… Ablett, a name to be forever remembered in Geelong Football Clubs’ history, there was nothing surer. He’s the kind of player/name Parents and Grandparents will be telling their children about for generations to come. Ablett….. Who turned his back on all this and just signed for the new Football franchise that’s just about to enter the AFL for BIG $$$$$$$$.

His relationship with his Coach had become strained throughout the course of the season too, much like what's rumoured to have happened with Rooney and Sir Alex too. Ablett wouldn't commit to a contract early, and there were whispers of the new side (Gold Coast Suns) sniffing around... He kept postponing talks throughout the season and the whispers became media-speculation, and then the circus began. In the end Geelong's coach ended up playing Ablett, the best midfielder in the competition, out of position in order to give other players (who were definitely going to be there in the future) a go. Though to Ablett's credit he still seemed to rack up the same numbers, but also added FAR more goals to his game - he was amazing wherever he played.

The sheer scope of this betrayal surpasses Rooney’s situation in the sense that he was destined to become an all time great of the game, there is no doubt. Becoming a top five player in the league’s 100+ year history was beckoning… But he’s chosen the money, and will now have to play for a new, thoroughly inexperienced side and will arguably not reach the same heights again (for several reasons: the scrutiny and pressure of being the ‘franchise’ player, as opposed to having so much support from the rest of his players at Geelong, who were all big seasoned players who could protect him and helped him get the best out of himself… etc).

Though the only excusable thing in all this is that the moneys involved in our game is a pittance compared to those thrown around in the EPL. A contract of $9 million over four years (not including marketing rights), compared to about $800k a year, was too good to turn down, as he’s obviously thinking about the rest of his life.

Still, Ablett had much more than a close tie to the club. He has family ties, the Ablett name will forever be etched into Geelong’s History (and it’s one of THE few oldest sporting clubs in the world). But money got in the way…
Aha...trust you to bring that one up cesc.

But it does bear some interesting parallels.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Where's a former legend when you need one ?

"Players and managers fall out all the time. It's part of life. If I was to offer advice to Wayne, who is a good lad, I would tell him to make sure he looks after number one. Players are pieces of meat; that's how I look at it. When your time's up, your time's up. Luckily for Wayne he's at a good age and he's fit." - Roy Keane

Fitzjames

Why is this making people "feel like crying"? Rooney doesn't owe anyone anything. If he has half a brain, he'd look after himself and his family first, and that means money. I'd do the same; I'd leave a company two times over if another one offers me a substantially better offer. And so will all of you, including the Hardcore Reds. Unless you're naive and believe in loyalty. This is a business, people come and go all the time. He'll leave, someone else will come along, so hang tight. And if his reasons for leaving are other than money, then they are probably related to keeping his family together, and in that case I'd still do what he's doing. Stop being so selfish.
Well he DOES have half a brain.

Neutral

BTV
Him leaving is not making me cry, Scholesy retiring might, I won't lie. But people need to stop with the "If a rival company offered me..." Your job situation has NOTHING in common with this situation.

You don't have 76,000 every other week cheering your name, idolizing you, buying the teams kit, with your name on the back. You don't have thousands spending thousands following you and your department all over the country and Europe for years and years.

You don't have fathers and sons bonding on a saturday afternoon watching you do whatever it is you do, and going home in sheer delight or utter dejection, with only the hope of you and your colleagues winning next week to make it all go away.

The player can of course do as he wishes, and indeed look at United as merely that, a place of work. But I don't think it is outrageous that fans are hurt and feel betrayed.

EricaNo7

of course i am disappointed but dont be too harsh to roon. otherwise, he wont join us in the first place and dont expect any other players contracted to their club should join us. if he wishes to go, let him go. some say we should not sell him to chelski or shitty. i think if the money is required to beef up the club, why not? esp we do need the money.
don't be too harsh? DON'T BE TOO HARSH?
the little shit deserves everything he's going to get,

if it's all about money ( as I suspect it is ) I can't understand him. Doesn't he have enough already?

kleberson_

"He probably wants to leave for some reasons, but I believe he belongs to Man Utd, he belongs to Man Utd fans, he belongs to Old Trafford.

"I believe he is going to stay

"But if at the end of day Man Utd decides that he is to leave, give me a call."

Asked if he would be interesting in taking Rooney to the Spanish capital, a laughing Mourinho said: "Everybody would be interested, but again I don't think so.

"I think and I wish because I like him, I like Sir Alex, I like Man Utd I believe the best thing for him is to stay there for life.

Asked if he was excited at the prospect of teaming Rooney up with Cristiano Ronaldo again, Mourinho remarked: "Yes, but he will stay at Old Trafford for sure."

Nice words from a extraordinary manager I would say. And I completely agree with him, United IS and will ALWAYS be the perfect match for Rooney.

United87

I love Wayne Rooney, he's only a kid. 6 years he gave to us , 6 years of blood sweat and tears, 100% commitment, has everyone forgotten that? One savvy press conference and he's a cnut for life.

prateik

25 yr old isnt a kid
he's a cnut
he was our cnut , now he's just a fecking cnut

The_Red_Hope

I'm tired of all the Rooney fanboys saying not to be harsh on him. If he had any intention of staying he would have -
1) come out and said it so far or atleast made his intentions for leaving known. The fans and the manager deserve that much. The silence is deafening.
2) he would have had a decent look at the contract we were offering him. He hasn't which could only mean that he's already settled on something with another club and listening to the responses from Mourinho, Pep, Ancelloti - its not them.

He has disrespected this club, its history, his manager, and most importantly his fans - who have supported him through thick and thick for the last 6 years. Woe be unto him, he can feck off and erase his legacy at the greatest club in the World.

EricaNo7

I'm tired of all the Rooney fanboys saying not to be harsh on him. If he had any intention of staying he would have -
1) come out and said it so far or atleast made his intentions for leaving known. The fans and the manager deserve that much. The silence is deafening.
2) he would have had a decent look at the contract we were offering him. He hasn't which could only mean that he's already settled on something with another club and listening to the responses from Mourinho, Pep, Ancelloti - its not them.

He has disrespected this club, its history, his manager, and most importantly his fans - who have supported him through thick and thick for the last 6 years. Woe be unto him, he can feck off and erase his legacy at the greatest club in the World.
couldn't agree more.

actually i hate him even more for the sight of Fergie looking so disconsolate yesterday