MERGED - The 2010/2011 ASHES tour thread...all Ashes related chat here please!

Northstand

No, this is ours for the taking, they know winning the series is even more important than just retaining the urn.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, and part of me thinks this to be honest. It's just my glass-half-full mentality coming to the fore!

Northstand

Aussies win the toss and bat.

As an aside, I heard the other day only 15% of Australians polled approve of Michael Clarke being captain. What has he done (or perhaps failed to do) to warrant such a low popularity rating?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Probably Clarke's failure with the bat recently is why he is an unpopular choice. I personally think Haddin would be a better captain and is a someone in form right now, but it's impossible not to have the vice-captain take on the captaincy role with Ponting out.

As for the game, Aussies bring in 2 debutants (Khawaja & Beer) and England are unchanged. I feel a bit bad for Finn, leading wicket-taker before the MCG test but they stick with Bresnan (who did well at the MCG). I hoped they would've started with Morgan ahead of Collingwood, but I guess it's one-last chance for Colly to save his Test career.

B Cantona

Desperate
Aussies win the toss and bat.

As an aside, I heard the other day only 15% of Australians polled approve of Michael Clarke being captain. What has he done (or perhaps failed to do) to warrant such a low popularity rating?
Batting issues, but I think also he went out with a famous celeb and it all turned to shit, airing dirty laundry in public is never a recipe for success

Hussey is their best player, I'd have thought he'd be a shout, lead by example?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Batting issues, but I think also he went out with a famous celeb and it all turned to shit, airing dirty laundry in public is never a recipe for success

Hussey is their best player, I'd have thought he'd be a shout, lead by example?
Lara Bingle...was trying to find a decent pic & this was the best I could come up with.

She ain't all that...

ha_rooney

fecking hell, Tremlett gets Hughes right on the stroke of lunch.

ha_rooney

Poor batting that, should've left it and let it go to the WK. Lunch and Aussies 55-1. Well, that was a much better performance by the openers, took them 8 innings before they realised how to play a test match innings but overall it was good, patient cricket and then Hughes played at a shot he could've left and England got their breakthrough.

Tremlett's bowled well, deserved that wicket.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Khawaja reminds me of Mathew Hayden, just shorter. That pull shot for four early on was :drool:

Australia has to stick with him though. Our good batsmen have a history of starting with a bang and then dropping off slightly. Phil Jaques and Brad Hodge, Hussey and Michael Clarke in recent years just to name a couple.

Mick1991

I've actually been watching a bits and pieces, that Clarke chap always strikes me as some-one who should be in Home and Away.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'll let you in on a lil secret Khawaja is one of my three names. I think he's done very well, just looks very much at home at Test Level... his defence/tenacity reminds me of Hussey though technically he looks more refined and plays straighter. One things for sure in my opinion, he has that vibe where you just like watching him bat even when he's defending.

mariachi-19

I'll let you in on a lil secret Khawaja is one of my three names. I think he's done very well, just looks very much at home at Test Level... his defence/tenacity reminds me of Hussey though technically he looks more refined and plays straighter. One things for sure in my opinion, he has that vibe where you just like watching him bat even when he's defending.
I think he's something special. He just had that aura about him when he came out this morning and then he made that pull shot.. You don't see many debutants come out and smack a bowler like that when they're only on two.

mariachi-19

I think you'd have to say this is fairly satisfactory after them being 1 down with over 100 on the board:

BBC SPORT | Cricket Scorecard

What are the weather prospects for the rest of the Test?
I wouldn't. I'd be annoyed if Australia weren't 5 or 6 down for England. They had the perfect bowling conditions today, overcast with several stops and starts and only just took 4 wickets. They were 1 ball away from going to bed at only 3 for.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I wouldn't. I'd be annoyed if Australia weren't 5 or 6 down for England. They had the perfect bowling conditions today, overcast with several stops and starts and only just took 4 wickets. They were 1 ball away from going to bed at only 3 for.
:wenger:

We bowled well today - 134-4 when a side has won the toss and put themselves in, is a very good return, and England will be very content.

It's a long tail, and an early wicket tonight could spell trouble for 'em.

mariachi-19

:wenger:

We bowled well today - 134-4 when a side has won the toss and put themselves in, is a very good return, and England will be very content.

It's a long tail, and an early wicket tonight could spell trouble for 'em.
Australia put themselves in on the basis that the weather would remain favorable. Instead it got worse until we had two rain delays. England bowled well but they will be annoyed that they didn't take 6. Just to let you know, thats 4 stoppages throughout the day, 4 times the batsmen needed to settle back in. Khawaja had to settle 3 times 'on debut' before a poor shot rather then good bowling got him out. 50 overs in those conditions and only 4 wickets was not a fantastic return. Batting conditions were better in Melbourne and they took 10 for in the same amount of overs. 250-300 will be a par score on this wicket

I'm just not sure it was a bat first pitch, I understand their decision, I'm guessing they really didn't want to be batting last on it, but they're batting was already under pressure following the previous test.

And they must have thought the bad weather was a possibility.