Messi in Miami

AndySmith1990

Becks getting emotional :rolleyes:

It's a bunch of stupidly wealthy people just playing games(which is fine) but let's not pretend any of it has any depth or significance.
Can't the same be said about any PL and CL match? Just a bunch of millionaires kicking a bit of leather about innit?

Eriku

You aware we are on a Man Utd forum. A place for supporters of the most commercial club in the world. If we wanted to see players literally playing so they can put food on the table we'd probably have to follow some league in Africa.

Becks getting emotional. His own goat just scoring a winning fk in extra time for the club he owns. No matter how rich you are i dont see why that should make you apathetic.
Same.

I see no reason to doubt that Becks cares about broadening the appeal of football in the US. He did it as a player and is now doing it as an owner. The amount of hours, effort, and money he’s put into this, why on earth would be not be moved by a last minute free kick concluding a fairytale win for a team that’s been struggling?

I was grinning from ear to ear and getting chills, and I am no-where near as invested. Just happy to see the GOAT strutting his stuff.

Ted Lasso

I find it quite different. This now is purely a money making tour for Messi and all the other players who are filling their boots at the end. I still wouldn't be surprised if Messi ends up at Saudi at some point.

Same goes for Becks and the businessmen behind him.

I'm not begrudging them earning more but when you think of what they could be doing with their wealth amd status, this is all a bit hollow for me. The emotion from Becks is just odd.

I think you've got it the wrong way around. Money is the only reason its all taking place. It's not a coincidental happening.

Which is like I say fine.

I just struggle to understand Becks getting emotional etc. It all seems really hollow, shallow to me.

Extremely rich people getting even richer. It couldn't be any colder from my point of view.
Weird place to post this and also really off the mark. Firstly, Becks actually does a lot more community work and philanthropy than you seem to be aware of.

Secondly, his net worth combined with Victoria is something like $450million. While that's certainly a lot, the bigger global issue is an even more elite and powerful group of billionaires whose hoarding of wealth and resources will likely lend to the demise of humanity in many ways. The disdain you feel ought to be directed there first before you go after what's really a second or even third tier of wealth.

Ladron de redcafe

Becks appreciates a quality fk when he sees one.

What a finish to his debut match there :lol: With a plethora or celebrities ranging from Lebron James to Tom Brady watching, you score a match winning free kick in stoppage time on your debut.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
You aware we are on a Man Utd forum. A place for supporters of the most commercial club in the world. If we wanted to see players literally playing so they can put food on the table we'd probably have to follow some league in Africa.

Becks getting emotional. His own goat just scoring a winning fk in extra time for the club he owns. No matter how rich you are i dont see why that should make you apathetic.
If anything it shows how much Becks has been rewarded for his vision back in the day when signing for Galaxy.

To have your own club which has Messi playing for and him scoring winner like this, it has to feel little bit surreal even for Beckham.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Messi could have joined any team but he joined the team Beckham owns. Beckham probably sees his signing and now this last minute winner as one of the big milestones for his team. It’s a big moment.

Dolf

Not to take anything away from this freekick but… that keeper is 1,83m and jumps like he’s an amateur

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not to take anything away from this freekick but… that keeper is 1,83m and jumps like he’s an amateur
Im 1.73 m. I can barely reach the toilet when i piss what a way to make me feel about myself.

mav_9me

Gotta say the Americans do a much better of marketing their sports/teams than others. So many easy to view highlights from all the different sports on YouTube/Twitter etc.

Tennis/cricket could learn a lot from them I feel.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Going by this, he's far too good for the MLS. It's nice that he picked it over the Saudi League and seems to be universally loved by its fans but without wanting to belittle US football, it really is a shame that we don't get to see a few more years of him in European football at the highest level. He probably would still be good enough for the MLS in 2 - 3 years.

Gehrman

Going by this, he's far too good for the MLS. It's nice that he picked it over the Saudi League and seems to be universally loved by its fans but without wanting to belittle US football, it really is a shame that we don't get to see a few more years of him in European football at the highest level. He probably would still be good enough for the MLS in 2 - 3 years.
Apart from his through pass and that freekick the highlights werent really out of this world.

mav_9me

I think he is still good enough for the most part for any of the top 5 leagues, just the amount of minutes he can play is the issue imo

Joel Miller

Apart from his through pass and that freekick the highlights werent really out of this world.
He was only on the pitch for 30 minutes, hasn’t played for a good while and isn’t even meant to be fit. Yet instantly looked levels above the rest.

Gehrman

I think he is still good enough for the most part for any of the top 5 leagues, just the amount of minutes he can play is the issue imo
But i think that's the issue he's too big to be a squad option and his legacy is done and dusted. Now he can kick back and enjoy himself.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Maybe Messi will open the door for more high rankings players to come on over. This could be the change MLS needed. If Messi can play there they can too.

Hoof the ball

Didn't know that
With respect to Messi, every time he got the ball he did something that either created a chance or got them into a position to create one.

The bad news is that the only time Messi could get the ball was if Busquets somehow got the ball and found him. Miami were atrocious. That would be selling it short. They couldn't make two passes in a row.

Messi is lucky he got the ball even a few times. :lol:

They'll need some serious recruitment if they want to avoid Messi having to single handedly win games moving forward.

Gehrman

Maybe Messi will open the door for more high rankings players to come on over. This could be the change MLS needed. If Messi can play there they can too.
I think Messi being there will definitely increase Americans interest in "soccer". Since they excell in other sports its surprising they are still so shit. Im still reminded when i spent 3 weeks in Florida at 13 years old with family friends the guy my age asked me "what's your favourite football team" and i answered "Manchester United" and he said "I didnt know Manchester had a football team".

JB7

The FK was perfect. See it form other angles.
Give over, it was chipped over the wall with no power on it whatsoever. See the video from behind the goal. Keepers embarrassing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
They'd have to scrap the salary cap and the 3 exemption rule for that to work, can't see it happening because there's not enough money in the US game to pay for it yet

Hoof the ball

Give over, it was chipped over the wall with no power on it whatsoever. See the video from behind the goal. Keepers embarrassing.
Give over. He's been hitting that same freekick in La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Champions League.

If that's embarrassing then he's in good company with a bunch of elite keepers who were beaten similarly.

JBD-dane

Just call me an old man.. but I really find it sad to see all these people holding their iphone to film this free-kick.
The celebration from the crowd was so embarrassing limitied when you consider it was an injury time goal.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He played like it was a testimonial honestly, a cut above everyone but that was the case in europe too.

JB7

Give over. He's been hitting that same freekick in La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Champions League.

If that's embarrassing then he's in good company with a bunch of elite keepers who were beaten similarly.
Yeah, with a lot more pace and accuracy. No elite keeper is being beaten by that last night.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure if it's been discussed yet as I haven't read through the thread from the start - I imagine that another potential reason for Messi to choose the MLS is that it is a bit close to Argentina.