g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Messi in Miami

mshnsh

Completely wrong. At the NBA, yes you have fast breaks much like you get counter attacks in football, but it is incredibly simple to say “it’s just running and dunking and everyone is 7 feet tall”.
Basketball runs FAR more plays than football. Inarguably. The top teams have many many plays, more than football does per match.

I don’t disagree that football can require more skill, but basketball definitely requires a higher iq at the highest level. Hence why you can get jammy results all the time and have a team made up of dentists beat the English national team. That would never ever happen in basketball.
Totally disagree. I'll leave it here.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Listen, let’s just stop the arguing and agree that baseball players are the best athletes.

Also, hitting major league pitching is the most difficult thing to in sports and it’s not even close.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Listen, let’s just stop the arguing and agree that baseball players are the best athletes.

Also, hitting major league pitching is the most difficult thing to in sports and it’s not even close.
Only likely?

the_cliff

Tbf Ohtani is an alien...

GinobiliTheGOAT

Jesus Christ, basketball players are most walking, jogging or standing still. The explosive moments are the athletic marker and they’re truly impressive.

Marking something as cerebral when it’s played mostly at jogging speed, on a court the size of a penalty box is a bit mad.

Basketball is a great sport. I love it. But the players are only athletic at Basketball. Get a basketball player and a footballer to compete in say the top 20-50 Olympic sports and the football is winning most, if not all of them.
and get them to compete in the high jump, and a basketball player wins all day. Basketball has a lot more running. The speed of game is incredibly quick. There is no parking the bus, or time wasting to get a result. There’s a reason they allow for unlimited subs and timeouts. It literally would not be able to be played 40 minutes without a stoppage unlike football.

I do agree football requires more endurance, but I could def see lebron having a better football career just with headers alone, than Ronaldo at basketball.

I wouldn’t call them good athletes, a surprising number in the MLB are out of shape. But the hand eye coordination required to hit a fast ball is harder than anything in football or basketball.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
and get them to compete in the high jump, and a basketball player wins all day. Basketball has a lot more running. The speed of game is incredibly quick. There is no parking the bus, or time wasting to get a result. There’s a reason they allow for unlimited subs and timeouts. It literally would not be able to be played 40 minutes without a stoppage unlike football.

I do agree football requires more endurance, but I could def see lebron having a better football career just with headers alone, than Ronaldo at basketball.
They allow for subs and time outs and play on a tiny court as it’s a massively impactful on bodies. Lots of explosive movements; driving, jumping etc. But it’s all over 3 metres or less.

But it’s a truly slow sport. Walking, jogging and then explosive sprints. Time outs. Walking the ball to half court. Slow, slow, then insanely fast and powerful.

Basketball is such a specific discipline. The players are exceptional at what they do. I love the sport. But they’re not athletic in the way that footballers are.

I reckon I could get off the couch and beat Le Bron across any track distance past 800m. They train to be the best at their sport. It’s not really transferable to other athletic disciplines.

Joel Miller

Messi is unreal, let’s be honest.

His team are so bad I can’t see them holding this lead though.

bakalhau

Just another ordinary goal for this man :lol: For others, goals like this are career highlights, for Messi, it's just another long range tap in.

Hoof the ball

Messi is unreal, let’s be honest.

His team are so bad I can’t see them holding this lead though.
I was having this conversation the other day too.

Inter Miami with almost 60% possession, which is about what they've had since Messi joined, but it's deceptive because the only reason they have that much is due to the constant sideways and back-passing between the keeper, the four defenders and either Arroyo and Busquets the DM's. Rotate, rotate, rotate and barely ever do they make it successfully out of their own half before Taylor loses it on the wing. There's this idea that they've been dominant; they haven't. This is still the same squad that is comfortably the worst team in the MLS, only with the additions of Messi, Alba, Busquets, but even now you can see it's almost impossible for Messi to even get the ball unless he's right at the half-way line or deeper.

This is what makes what Messi is doing fantastic. He's getting so few touches a game and he's still banging them away. His xG overperformance must be insane given most of his goals have been outside of the box. :lol:

Joel Miller

That was a very impressive goal.
I was half expecting someone to talk about how terrible the defending was or how bad the keeper was and that it must be rigged or scripted.

I was having this conversation the other day too.

Inter Miami with almost 60% possession, which is about what they've had since Messi joined, but it's deceptive because the only reason they have that much is due to the constant sideways and back-passing between the keeper, the four defenders and either Arroyo and Busquets the DM's. Rotate, rotate, rotate and barely ever do they make it successfully out of their own half before Taylor loses it on the wing. There's this idea that they've been dominant; they haven't. This is still the same squad that is comfortably the worst team in the MLS, only with the additions of Messi, Alba, Busquets, but even now you can see it's almost impossible for Messi to even get the ball unless he's right at the half-way line or deeper.

This is what makes what Messi is doing fantastic. He's getting so few touches a game and he's still banging them away. His xG overperformance must be insane given most of his goals have been outside of the box. :lol:
Yeah they’re garbage, really. When they’re put under pressure most of their team have no idea what to do with the ball. The right back is comically bad in terms of how bad he is using the ball and how easily he loses his man. It makes sense that they keep looking for Busquets, but it doesn’t change the fact that most of that team are terrible and being carried by two players, one player in particular.

Hoof the ball

I was half expecting someone to talk about how terrible the defending was or how bad the keeper was and that it must be rigged or scripted.

Yeah they’re garbage, really. When they’re put under pressure most of their team have no idea what to do with the ball. The right back is comically bad in terms of how bad he is using the ball and how easily he loses his man. It makes sense that they keep looking for Busquets, but it doesn’t change the fact that most of that team are terrible and being carried by two players, one player in particular.
That right back is Yedlin. Hard to believe he had something of a PL career at one point. Probably explains why he doesn't now. I think the only player I genuinely like is that Cremaschi kid. For someone sometimes so awkward looking he surprisingly never loses the ball at all. Well impressed with him. I'll be looking for Farias and Aviles to come on; those Argie kids must be much cleaner technically than what's on show.

Still think Miami could bottle this in defence and lose, despite any Messi heroics.

vangagal

Beckham struck gold with Messi, imagine if Suarez's deal gone through, every match would be much more goal galore for and against them. Their defence is that atrociuos.

Joel Miller

1-1, poor defending at a corner that was given away because one of their players couldn’t make a 10 yard pass :lol:

I'd say Messi is being paid barrowloads of cash to stat pad in Major League Soccer Aid but I reckon Clarence Seedorf walks into either of these two teams even at 47.
The bitterness is oozing out of this!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Atrocious football in general. Field looks like farmland ffs. I think I say this every game but the commentators do an impressive job hyping the living feck out of absolutely everything. I think the commentator just said “OH MY GOOOOD” about five times in a row :lol:

Edit: hilarious comical finishing.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Atrocious football in general. Field looks like farmland ffs. I think I say this every game but the commentators do an impressive job hyping the living feck out of absolutely everything.

Edit: hilarious comical finishing.
He tried to chip and did it so poorly it actually looked like a savvy little pass to himself. Hilarious.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
He tried to chip and did it so poorly it actually looked like a savvy little pass to himself. Hilarious.
And even then, he could’ve just controlled it, pulled it back and rolled it in. But he did this desperate dive and hit the post. He had so much time :lol:

Hoof the ball

Messi found his Higuain, then. :lol:

As predicted, Miami a shambles and the general shiteness of the team has caught up with them. It's hilarious watching Nashville being able to transition up the field at will, whereas, the Miami back four look like they're about to poo themselves at the thought of a forward pass.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Messi found his Higuain, then. :lol:

As predicted, Miami a shambles and the general shiteness of the team has caught up with them. It's hilarious watching Nashville being able to transition up the field at will, whereas, the Miami back four look like they're about to poo themselves at the thought of a forward pass.
Their entire back line is really old. Only Miller, the Canadian, is 26. The rest all over 30. So it’s not like they are going to improve. Miller is actually the worst of them all. He’s constantly at panic stations.

They did sign some just 19 year old CB from Argentina. Tomas Aviles. Maybe he’ll start to play once league play resumes. And maybe his default isn’t code brown every time the ball comes within 30 yards of him :lol:

Edit: Miami looking like they’ve blown it!

I always find penalties so tense, even when I don’t care.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is it really going to come down to the GK’s? :lol:
Edit: holy shit by Calender

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Down to the goalies :lol:

Scores!

Miami wins! Nashville goalie misses poor chap!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Shades of Kevin Pressman from the Miami keeper :drool:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Suck on that Ronaldo. Leagues Cup champion 2023. You’ll never match it, you know you won’t.

Took the worst team in MLS to a trophy in his first run of games. Miami’s first ever trophy.

And in glorious MLS fashion they give the MOTM to the Miami player that scored the own goal. Love it.

GinobiliTheGOAT

I reckon I could get off the couch and beat Le Bron across any track distance past 800m. They train to be the best at their sport. It’s not really transferable to other athletic disciplines.
No, you couldn’t. :lol:

To downplay the athletic level of NBA players is beyond insane. Lebron does the 40 yard sprint in 4.6 seconds. He would absolutely outrun anyone on this forum over 800 meters.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I'd say Messi is being paid barrowloads of cash to stat pad in Major League Soccer Aid but I reckon Clarence Seedorf walks into either of these two teams even at 47.
The guy shows up and plays for one of the worst teams in the MLS and wins a cup and scores at will. TBH his old teamates look old playing next to him so Seedorf would be just as bad. Messi is an Men In Black alien that is someone neither you or I will ever see the likes of again. Meanwhile the mercenaries in the desert have zero interest. Just enjoy and don’t be so cynical.

Hoof the ball

The guy shows up and plays for one of the worst teams in the MLS and wins a cup and scores at will. TBH his old teamates look old playing next to him so Seedorf would be just as bad. Messi is an Men In Black alien that is someone neither you or I will ever see the likes of again. Meanwhile the mercenaries in the desert have zero interest. Just enjoy and don’t be so cynical.
Watching Messi and seeing him finally retire from the game will be a bit like watching Sopranos and The Wire, finishing them, and then trying to enjoy CW's The Flash afterwards. :lol:

Hoof the ball

Inter Miami before Messi this season :-

22 games, 5 wins, 3 draws, 14 losses, 22 goals scored. Currently ranked 29th out of 29th in the MLS.

Inter Miami after Messi :-

7 games, 5 wins, 2 draws (both won on pens), 0 losses, 22 goals scored. First trophy in club history.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
No, you couldn’t. :lol:

To downplay the athletic level of NBA players is beyond insane. Lebron does the 40 yard sprint in 4.6 seconds. He would absolutely outrun anyone on this forum over 800 meters.
Oh he’d trash me up to 400m. 800m would be questionable.

But Zero chance that he beats me over 3km. I think that the mile or 1500m is the point that I’d start beating him out of sight.

The fella is 6 and a half feet and built like a house. They’re not built for endurance. At all.

bosskeano

just got back from the game.....fantastic atmosphere inside Geodis

brilliant goal by messi but nashville deserved to win that match

Ted Lasso

That's some goal for a final, whatever league you're in. Whether north america or desert, goats be goatin. Quite awesome for fans to see the twilight be so enjoyable.