Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Lol, they have different roles, if Messi’s job was only to score like Ronaldo then he’d score a lot more, i get that you haven’t watched these players in a regular basis, watch messi in the knockout games in the cl, you’ll see him been man marked in every single game, it doesn’t happen for Ronaldo, not taking anything away from Ronaldo, he’s a great player but come on, you are just simply not educated about these two
This is perhaps one of the most biased opinion I’ve came across lately. You really think no team would be bother to mark Ronaldo at all, who is the top scorer every season in CL? :wenger:

Charles Miller

That's why Bas Dost does his job while 50 thousand with far superior first touch, passing, dribbling, close control, vision and skills chant his name in the stands.

Football isn't a set of atributes like on football manager and if it was it would be a much longer list is than that.
I dont play videogames since the 90s. This football manager "argument" its very common in the Caf, always a very poor attempt of straw man.

I dont think Bas Dost is slightly relevant to be mentioned on a thread about Messi and CR7.

Cristiano will be in the history as one of the best goal scorers. But comparing with Messi is beyond surreal. I suspect that economic interests in the football industry are feeding this completely artificial rivalry. Messi is not only better than Cristiano Ronaldo, he is probably the best player in the history.

Suhail

This is perhaps one of the most biased opinion I’ve came across lately. You really think no team would be bother to mark Ronaldo at all, who is the top scorer every season in CL? :wenger:
When you are not expected to play a part in the build up, yes
Ronaldo is an scoring machine but Messi is more than that, he’s the one who makes the team tick, so you take him out of the game and you nullify Barca. I understand the premise thatBarca have and always had great players but when you have a player as good as Messi, everything tends to go through him, that’s the way this team has been set up

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I dont play videogames since the 90s. This football manager "argument" its very common in the Caf, always a very poor attempt of straw man.

I dont think Bas Dost is slightly relevant to be mentioned on a thread about Messi and CR7.

Cristiano will be in the history as one of the best goal scorers. But comparing with Messi is beyond surreal. I suspect that economic interests in the football industry are feeding this completely artificial rivalry. Messi is not only better than Cristiano Ronaldo, he is probably the best player in the history.
:lol:

I officially give up on this thread.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Whether you like it or not, he and Messi are contemporaries. They have both won 5 world player of the year awards, 4 champions leagues, knocked in hundreds and hundreds of goals over their careers, and have played on arguably the two greatest sides in history. So they are obviously contemporaries who merit the endless comparisons they receive.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
In the end I voted for Cristiano. Since there are not usually this kind of polls, I took into account several factors to vote.
Messi is the best player of both. I never had doubts about it. If I were a coach, or a professional footballer maybe I would choose Messi, but being a fan I think Cristiano provokes many more emotions.
He has an overwhelming personality, he is a brave player, who had to endure a lot of shit and always ended up surpassing the expectations.
If I were an 18-year-old football player about to explode, Cristiano would be without a doubt my reference. I do not think that everything can be reduced to a fight of stats, in which surely some mythical player would be reviled. That is to say, I base my choice on sporting merits, overcoming, competitiveness, charisma and that component of legend, which for example makes you keep a special place for Cantona.
Cristiano triumphed in England, he left everything and came to Spain to a team that was being humiliated, it took years to win over the fans, he received criticism from all sides, he won everyone, he won three champions, he matched Messi in individual trophies and won a tournament with his country(a small country that never had won anything). It's a biography for a movie.
Then there is my daily experience, my son starts to be interested in football and I try to update him on who is who.
We watch videos of both.He is amazed with what Messi does, but in the end he is always talking about Cristiano.
With the rest of the children it happens the same. You can see how they try to imitate his old bicycle dribbing,his moves from the left to the center to shoot, the celebrations or even his performances before shooting a free kick. It's a much more striking influence
My culé friends love Messi, Messi is god, but they dedicate him 5 minutes, then they are always with Cristiano in the mouth.
I find Messi extremely boring, without any charisma. Even his own countrymen were very tough on him for years. It seems that they only react when he is compared to someone else.
I have not met a single Argentine who prefers Messi over Maradona and they don´t need to analyze statistics or balon d´ors.
Messi generates me three doubts. He has not managed to be remembered for something magnificent in a world cup, I have not seen him out of his bubble at Barcelona and I have doubts about his ability to raise Barcelona alone, without Xavi / Iniesta / Busquets near him.

prath92

Messi is definitely the better of the 2. Where I differ is the so called assertion that Messi is way better than Ronaldo. Which isn’t.

Out of 100, I’d give Messi 95 and Ronaldo 94

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When you are not expected to play a part in the build up, yes
Ronaldo is an scoring machine but Messi is more than that, he’s the one who makes the team tick, so you take him out of the game and you nullify Barca. I understand the premise thatBarca have and always had great players but when you have a player as good as Messi, everything tends to go through him, that’s the way this team has been set up
Messi is a great playmaker but come on, Barca never had a problem when Messi is missing some games, and Spain had won everything with mostly Barca players and without Messi too.

I know people had their favorites, which is fine. But it’s better not to twist the reality too much when you are trying to support your own claim.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Messi is a great playmaker but come on, Barca never had a problem when Messi is missing some games
I remember a CL game v PSG where he was injured from the first leg and started on the bench but had to come on because they needed a goal and you could see he was clearly unfit and could barely run. He set up the crucial goal and turned the game on it's head.

Barca will of course be okay here and there without him but that's much the same with MU and DDG. He could miss a few games here and there and you'd still win. It wouldn't mean he isn't by far your best and most important player.

promisedlanchiao

I think Ronaldo is the better player but I would rather have Messi at United, in a way similar to my views about Giggs and Beckham (Giggs being better but me preferring to have Becks over Giggs for current United team).

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think if you were to take them both out the last decade, then Real Madrid would have absolutely trounced Barcelona in the league. Messi is significantly more important to the way Barcelona play than the way Ronaldo is to real.
Barcelona probably would have won the CL without Messi, especially under Pep; Real would not have come close without Ronaldo.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Depend on how you rate both of them really. Going by achievements it's pretty close and it can go both ways. When it comes to peak level and consistency Messi edges it for me in both.

Especially peak level. To me Cristiano is behind both Messi and Fenomeno when it comes to peak, from what I saw in the last 20-30 years, but trumps everybody else when it comes to consistency and resume.

All things considered Messi is right up there with Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Di Stefano. Still feel Cristiano falls a bit short either of those on the list, but could enter if we keep doing what he's doing and especially in the coming WC.
:lol: There we go again, I can just about accept some people think Messi is better, but fat Ronaldo? :lol: His best just about measures up to Cristiano's worst season in the past decade.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How has it taken this long to add a poll to this insightful topic.

Or have there been polls before?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Source?

Also, since when did Cristiano Jr become the ultimate opinion in the football world?
Must be one of those troll accounts, that his source just like how he used heat map from troll accounts to make his point here.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Must be one of those troll accounts, that his source just like how he used heat map from troll accounts to make his point here.
The only quote I can find online seems to be Ronaldo saying to Messi (whilst introducing Cris Jr)

He watches a video on the internet of all of us and he talks about you.
Somehow that equals "worships"? :lol:

Moonred

As one sided as you would expect. Nothing against Ronaldo and he is a sensation with mind boggling achievements. But majority will simply prefer Messi.

Enigma_87

You know who
:lol: There we go again, I can just about accept some people think Messi is better, but fat Ronaldo? :lol: His best just about measures up to Cristiano's worst season in the past decade.
Again? Not sure if I mentioned it in the thread apart from this post :confused:

It's not just about numbers mate, watching them both day in and day out. Cristiano is a great player, but wasn't dominant in games at his peak the same way Messi or Fenomeno were/are. Peak he's only behind those two since Maradona. When it comes to consistency and overall career it's a tossup, but probably would go with Messi, due to more success domestically.

Enigma_87

You know who
That same year that Messi basically won feck all?
He did score what 91 goals that year? 12 for Argentina as well, not to mention ton of assist and adds much more to the team. Ronaldo had seasons to rival it but to me not better it(individually).

Could've done any better on every stage he set his foot in really.

Enigma_87

You know who
That's why Bas Dost does his job while 50 thousand with far superior first touch, passing, dribbling, close control, vision and skills chant his name in the stands.

Football isn't a set of atributes like on football manager and if it was it would be a much longer list is than that.
There's the mental side of the game where I see Cristiano trumping Messi. In terms of pure ability, apart from heading Messi is better and not even disputable IMO. But when it comes to making most of the situation and keeping cool under pressure Cristiano might as well edge it.

Not many times this side of the game has been mentioned, but Cristiano is an ultimate clutch player, something he got a lot of flack in his younger years - what he developed and especially in his latter years excels at.

Last edited:

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Lol, they have different roles, if Messi’s job was only to score like Ronaldo then he’d score a lot more, i get that you haven’t watched these players in a regular basis, watch messi in the knockout games in the cl, you’ll see him been man marked in every single game, it doesn’t happen for Ronaldo, not taking anything away from Ronaldo, he’s a great player but come on, you are just simply not educated about these two
In fact, I think I'm one of the few people here that watches every single game in the season of Real Madrid, and most of Barcelona games. You can't say Ronaldo's only role is to score goals when he is the player with most assists ever in the UCL. Since he got to Madrid in 2009 he has 28 assists in the competition and Messi 20. He also helps going back a lot to help defend, and with the pressure to the defenders of the other team. Messi never defends, and a fact you can check on is that in almost all the Barcelona games, the player that covers less distance in the game is always Messi (and obviously the goalkeeper), that is a real fact bro.

Yes, Messi gets a lot of times man marked, because they can. They don't make the same with Ronaldo because it is impossible, he is sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes as a striker, all in the same game.

What surprises me is that a lot of people here tend to forget how Ronaldo played almost all of his carrer in United and Real Madrid till 1/2 years ago and say that he is o ly a striker that is waiting a pass to score goals. He usually is involved in every goal of the team, neither he scores it, assists it, or launches the attack, you should know it if you see his games.

But to say that Messi performs worse in the UCL because he is man marked, with all the respect it looks to me like a cheap excuse for a player that some people want to name as the GOAT of the game. If you are not performing enough in the important games, change your role in the field and make your team advance. That is what Ronaldo made since he is getting older, he can't dribble or run as fast as he used to, so know he dribbles less and got better in his off the ball movement, and plays much more near the box. And it has worked marvels for him, 3 UCL in 4 years an 4 Ballons D'Or in 5 years. All because he keeps performing almost always in the important games in knockout phases. Messi disappeared vs Juventus last season, they went out. He disappeared in both games vs PSG (amazing when your team scores 7 goals in a game and you are involved in only one, and it was a wrong called penalty). A year before he disappeared vs Atletico. 2 years before disappeared vs Bayern, they lost 7-0 between both legs.

In all that games Barca went out, making them advance from the quarterfinals only once in the last 4 seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suhail

In fact, I think I'm one of the few people here that watches every single game in the season of Real Madrid, and most of Barcelona games. You can't say Ronaldo's only role is to score goals when he is the player with most assists ever in the UCL. Since he got to Madrid in 2009 he has 28 assists in the competition and Messi 20. He also helps going back a lot to help defend, and with the pressure to the defenders of the other team. Messi never defends, and a fact you can check on is that in almost all the Barcelona games, the player that covers less distance in the game is always Messi (and obviously the goalkeeper), that is a real fact bro.

Yes, Messi gets a lot of times man marked, because they can. They don't make the same with Ronaldo because it is impossible, he is sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes as a striker, all in the same game.

What surprises me is that a lot of people here tend to forget how Ronaldo played almost all of his carrer in United and Real Madrid till 1/2 years ago and say that he is o ly a striker that is waiting a pass to score goals. He usually is involved in every goal of the team, neither he scores it, assists it, or launches the attack, you should know it if you see his games.

But to say that Messi performs worse in the UCL because he is man marked, with all the respect it looks to me like a cheap excuse for a player that some people want to name as the GOAT of the game. If you are not performing enough in the important games, change your role in the field and make your team advance. That is what Ronaldo made since he is getting older, he can't dribble or run as fast as he used to, so know he dribbles less and got better in his off the ball movement, and plays much more near the box. And it has worked marvels for him, 3 UCL in 4 years an 4 Ballons D'Or in 5 years. All because he keeps performing almost always in the important games in knockout phases. Messi disappeared vs Juventus last season, they went out. He disappeared in both games vs PSG (amazing when your team scores 7 goals in a game and you are involved in only one, and it was a wrong called penalty). A year before he disappeared vs Atletico. 2 years before disappeared vs Bayern, they lost 7-0 between both legs.

In all that games Barca went out, making them advance from the quarterfinals only once in the last 4 seasons.
I was merely suggesting his goal return, he still was immense in all those games playing a deeper role

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
From a goalscoring point of view. There's more to football than scoring though which is something Ronaldo fans don't seem to grasp.

Charles Miller

Whether you like it or not, he and Messi are contemporaries. They have both won 5 world player of the year awards, 4 champions leagues, knocked in hundreds and hundreds of goals over their careers, and have played on arguably the two greatest sides in history. So they are obviously contemporaries who merit the endless comparisons they receive.
The only comparable aspect is the number of goals they can score every season. But, of course Messi is not playing as winger or wide striker.

Rajma

The biggest compliment to Messi I can give is I used to hate him with passion (probably to do with Barca humiliating us both times and him being the main culprit) and obviously preferred Ronaldo...However, there came the point were I could no longer hide behind the delusion and as my hate for Barca gradually vanished it become impossible to deny the man is simply so much better than everyone else at football, Ronaldo may be rivalling him on goals scored or even edging it but as someone who fell in love with football for its entertainment value and "wow" moments there's no comparison really.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
As much as I think Messi is better than Cristiano, I have to agree with you here. Cristiano is better then Ronaldo De Lima was, especially if you compare their careers and not just their peak.

Ronaldo De Lima is viewed more about “what if” and how good he could have been without his injuries.

Cristiano is in the top 5 of all time, just look at his achievements. Ronaldo De Lima is not even top 10.

Enigma_87

You know who
As much as I think Messi is better than Cristiano, I have to agree with you here. Cristiano is better then Ronaldo De Lima was, especially if you compare their careers and not just their peak.

Ronaldo De Lima is viewed more about “what if” and how good he could have been without his injuries.

Cristiano is in the top 5 of all time, just look at his achievements. Ronaldo De Lima is not even top 10.
If we're talking about overall careers of course only Pele and Di Stefano can measure up to Cristiano and Messi.

If it is about peak level and completeness in the game, I don't feel the same about Cristiano as Messi and the past greats. I mean he's one of the best in history of what he does and the consistency level he does, but if we're talking about absolute peak very few in history strike such genuine fear for not only the marker but the whole defensive line as Messi. Pele was such a player, then Maradona, then Ronaldo and now him.

Cristiano is not as "complete" as those guys for me yet.

There is no "what if" for R9. We saw his peak and was brilliant, more so than probably any other player in the game at that point. Before even hitting 22 he was head and shoulders above any of his peers, ripping apart four leagues with Cruzeiro, PSV, Barcelona and Inter and leaving some of the greatest defenders in the game with no answer. The "what if" question would be how even greater he could become, but then we wouldn't have this GOAT question anymore, considering he scored over 200 goals just entering his peak. Injuries didn't "prevent" him reach his peak, but rather took away from us more years that we could enjoy it.

With Cristiano at his peak you still think you could stop him, either by cutting the service to him or limiting his game. Not often that is case or saying it's "easy" to do so - it's damn hard and not many have achieved to do so. It's not the same with those "one man attack" past greats mentioned above. Both Messi and Cristiano play in very dominant sides - hard to compile such talent in a single team compared to decades before and you can claim part of their dominance is due to the service they get and talent around them. Between CR and Messi, however the latter is the one who is closer to that individual brilliance that even without the service, of top players around him, you'd count on him to turn the game on its head and create something out of nothing.

LuenerLinguist

Im just curious to know if there is at least one fan of Real or one Portuguese that did not vote for Ronaldo.

Last edited by a moderator:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
If we're talking about overall careers of course only Pele and Di Stefano can measure up to Cristiano and Messi.

If it is about peak level and completeness in the game, I don't feel the same about Cristiano as Messi and the past greats. I mean he's one of the best in history of what he does and the consistency level he does, but if we're talking about absolute peak very few in history strike such genuine fear for not only the marker but the whole defensive line as Messi. Pele was such a player, then Maradona, then Ronaldo and now him.

There is no "what if" for R9. We saw his peak and was brilliant, more so than probably any other player in the game at that point. Before even hitting 22 he was head and shoulders above any of his peers, ripping apart four leagues with Cruzeiro, PSV, Barcelona and Inter and leaving some of the greatest defenders in the game with no answer. The "what if" question would be how even greater he could become, but then we wouldn't have this GOAT question anymore, considering he scored over 200 goals just entering his peak. Injuries didn't "prevent" him reach his peak, but rather took away from us more years that we could enjoy it.

With Cristiano at his peak you still think you could stop him, either by cutting the service to him or limiting his game. Not often that is case or saying it's "easy" to do so - it's damn hard and not many have achieved to do so. It's not the same with those "one man attack" past greats mentioned above. Both Messi and Cristiano play in very dominant sides - hard to compile such talent in a single team compared to decades before and you can claim part of their dominance is due to the service they get and talent around them. Between CR and Messi, however the latter is the one who is closer to that individual brilliance that even without the service, of top players around him, you'd count on him to turn the game on its head and create something out of nothing.
Great post and I agree with most of it.

The what if part about Ronaldo De Lima i was talking about how great his career could have been.

Cristiano at his peak was better in my opinion, it isn’t all about being able to stop them. Cristiano scored over 50 goals in 5 consecutive seasons, his peak was easily better than Ronaldo, who never even scored 50 in any season.

I know it isn’t all about goals but it is mainly about goals when the position played is a striker.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Source?

Also, since when did Cristiano Jr become the ultimate opinion in the football world?
http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2017/10/24/59ef2485ca4741bf068b45f6.html

It’s fairly common knowledge that his son is a massive Messi fan, he even had an Instagram post calling Messi his idol although it ended up getting deleted.

How do the biggest ronaldo fans not know this?

And just because his son is a massive Messi fan doesn’t mean who is the better footballer, it’s just endearing is all

RedDington9

From a goalscoring point of view. There's more to football than scoring though which is something Ronaldo fans don't seem to grasp.
The actual ONLY thing to football is scoring goals. Literally every aspect of the game is directed toward a goal being scored. Wanna know why? Because football is a game. And games are played to be WON. And Ronaldo knows that better than anyone. And many, including yourself, seem to have evidently forgotten that.

Here's reality, if people were to compare Cristiano Ronaldo's achievements to Messi's, and both were viewed as anonymous Player A & B, respectively, Player A would win. Every. Single. Time. Because Player A leads the most difficult competition in the sport's history (UCL/EC) in BOTH GOALS & ASSISTS. Want to know something even more interesting? In the most difficult stages of the most difficult club competition (Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, and Finals) Ronaldo's INFLUENCE (note, his GOALS) dwarfs Messi's INFLUENCE (note, again, GOALS) in a way that makes any person that thinks that Messi easily wins this debate need to re-evaluate their entire life immediately.

He'll win this debate by the time both hang up their boots. Because Ronaldo is a winner in a way that transcends his profession. He is a UNIVERSAL symbol for how people should approach life. And he'll be rewarded for that when all is said and done.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The actual ONLY thing to football is scoring goals. Literally every aspect of the game is directed toward a goal being scored. Wanna know why? Because football is a game. And games are played to be WON. And Ronaldo knows that better than anyone. And many, including yourself, seem to have evidently forgotten that.

Here's reality, if people were to compare Cristiano Ronaldo's achievements to Messi's, and both were viewed as anonymous Player A & B, respectively, Player A would win. Every. Single. Time. Because Player A leads the most difficult competition in the sport's history (UCL/EC) in BOTH GOALS & ASSISTS. Want to know something even more interesting? In the most difficult stages of the most difficult club competition (Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, and Finals) Ronaldo's INFLUENCE (note, his GOALS) dwarfs Messi's INFLUENCE (note, again, GOALS) in a way that makes any person that thinks that Messi easily wins this debate need to re-evaluate their entire life immediately.

He'll win this debate by the time both hang up their boots. Because Ronaldo is a winner in a way that transcends his profession. He is a UNIVERSAL symbol for how people should approach life. And he'll be rewarded for that when all is said and done.
What a load of nonsense. Messi has more goals since Ronaldo moved to Madrid. More goals in a calendar year, more goals in a season. Better goals to game ratio. Better at creating goals. Etc etc

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Nicely put.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

That's some Cal? 2.0 stuff right there.

You have a way with words sir, even if I don't exactly agree with your assessment.

The end product of an attack is obviously a goal. Apart from the fact that this means that half the players on the pitch are actually trying to prevent a goal, thus having a different goal than scoring a goal (that's a lot of goal in one sentence). The lead up to a goal is vital to the actual production of one. If the ONLY thing to football is scoring goals, why would you ever put a defender or holding midfielder in on your team sheet? Why would you ever tell anyone to cross the ball instead of shooting. Scoring is always the objective, but a goal is more than the final kick that pushes the leather into the actual net. What makes football so great is that it's more than statistics. It's that elastico Ronaldinho does to beat his man. It's Ronaldo letting ball bounce on his back to pass the baffled defender and it's the way Messi can pick up a ball in midfield, set up an attack and also finish it. Football is more than an excell spread sheet.

Now about the stats, I'm not a huge fan, but according to the Messi vs Ronaldo website (is that thing legit?) Messi averages 0.81 goals per game and Ronaldo average 0.77 goals per game. Assists wise it's Messi 0.22 per game and Ronaldo 0.25 per game. Now it might just be me, but those numbers sound extremely similar. so every.single.time seems a bit of a stretch.

Now I won't urge you to reconsider, because that's not the point of this thread, but the football = goals thing intrigued me enough to respond.

I will now re-evaluate my life as per your instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.