Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

I didn’t mean he isn’t vital, just that they have a very very good team al over the pitch. Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Kroos are the best in the world in their positions in my opinion. Bale, Benzema, Isco, James are all great.

They have really missed Pepe this season. Then James and Morata offered great depth to the squad which they haven’t had this season.

Ronaldo being poor before Christmas was a factor, but losing some great players has also been an issue.
Varane is just as good as the current Pepe if not better. Isco and Asensio would play ahead of James anyhow. Bale I agree with. I also agree he has a great team, but Messi has also had an amazing team.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Argentina are shit. Literally.

He does show up for them, though, that's another lie. Does he play to the same level he does at Barca? No, but I already said earlier (and you agreed) that Messi and Ronaldo need other top players to bring out their greatness. There's no player at Argentina who's as good as guys like Suarez, Busquets, Alba.
Now imagine Portugal if thats what you think.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Haters gonna hate. Of course some people criticized Ronaldo for it although he scored for fun. But it wasn't rational and you know that. But now you behave in the same way? Doesn't that make you a simple Messi hater just like those who were too criticical with Ronaldo were?
I appreciate Messi. I’m moreso picking the brains of those Messi fans by dishing out the same logic they used to give out and seeing how they react. Will they accept it or make excuses. Safe to say I’ve seen which one it is. Goes to show the accountability Ronaldo is held to but Messi gets a free pass for similar scenarios. Quite funny how that works ;)

Ban

No, because I argued in another post that Ronaldo is better in the CL and slightly ahead for their national teams. His record for United is just further proof that Ronaldo can hack it in the toughest leagues better than Messi.
But it's a strange argument since one has played in one league the whole career. So we'll never now if he'd succeed in England.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
LMAO how about Messi win something for his country first bud.
Yes, then he would probably be up there with Maradona and Pele.

But I think it depends on how he earns this title. He would need to have a great tournament. You know, if he steals away the trophy although he didn't really deserve it and his overall performance wasn't that great either, I don't think that he should get much hype for it. However, it seems highly unlikely to me that Messi could have a bad tournament since he usually always offers something for his team, even if he doesn't score. After all, his WC 2014 was immense although he didn't really score that much.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Ronaldo in Argentina

...Ronaldo would have won the WC by now,
Are you typing this with a straight face?

Go back and watch the 2010 World Cup v Germany and see how pathetic they were. Maradona was the manager FFS.

2014 World Cup Ronaldo was put out of his group by the fecking USA.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Was it you or another user who said the league is consistent success whereas the CL is luck?

Either way, funny how people can flip back and forth with things such as this as long as it fits their narrative.
No one said that. I've made the argument that you would need more luck to win the CL than the league, as one single mistake in the CL or one penalty shootout can knock you out even if you are the best team up until that point. Consistency is more important in the league.

SportingCP96

Supports
Yes, then he would probably be up there with Maradona and Pele.

But I think it depends on how he earns this title. He would need to have a great tournament. You know, if he steals away the trophy although he didn't really deserve it and his overall performance wasn't that great either, I don't think that he should get much hype for it. However, it seems highly unlikely to me that Messi could have a bad tournament since he usually always offers something for his team, even if he doesn't score. After all, his WC 2014 was immense although he didn't really score that much.
His World Cup was OK at best considering he only scored in the group stage. And do you see what I mean about the double standard? You just said if he won something for his country he would be up their with Pele and Maradona. YET Ronaldo has WON a major honor for Portugal and the same is not said.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The thing is I actually speak Facts unlike you Messi fanboys.
No. You just type fact in capital letters after your opinions. FACT.

You literally said it's a "FACT" that Ronaldo would have won the WC with Argentina.

That isn't a fact. It's an opinion. And a stupid one at that.

Rossa

But there's literally no evidence to suggest that because Messi has never played in any other league.

If they'd both played in the league and Ronaldo had done better in it then yeah, but that isn't the case.

It's akin to saying Messi has done better in the South American qualifiers than Ronaldo ever has.
I didn’t say that. I said that Ronaldo is better in the CL and for their national teams. Thus, he is better outside of La Liga. There is more evidence that points to Ronaldo being better outside la liga than Messi. There isn’t evidence that Messi would be POTY in the PL, as you suggested. That is speculation based on his success in la liga, but still speculation. Outside Spain, Ronaldo is better. Do you disagree? In Spain, Messi probably edged it.

Ban

I appreciate Messi. I’m moreso picking the brains of those Messi fans by dishing out the same logic they used to give out and seeing how they react. Will they accept it or make excuses. Safe to say I’ve seen which one it is. Goes to show the accountability Ronaldo is held to but Messi gets a free pass for similar scenarios. Quite funny how that works ;)
It goes both ways. Suddenly I'm reading about Madrid side being a lot worse than Barca's side and Ronaldo doing everything by himself while Messi has been spoon-fed in all those brilliant Barca's side.

SportingCP96

Supports
No need to be so feisty Ronaldo fanboy.

Messi in Madrid and Ronaldo in Barcelona scenarios are not Facts with capital F.
They are bud Ronaldo is the Greatest of his generation and after tonight its not even a debate anymore. Watch some football and get back to me.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Go back and watch the 2010 World Cup v Germany and see how pathetic they were. Maradona was the manager FFS.

2014 World Cup Ronaldo was put out of his group by the fecking USA.
Messi’s no goals in the knockout stage of the WC was Maradona’s fault. Gotcha. I’m sure Ronaldo would have had the same result.

...like now for Messi, Portugal poor team not Ronaldo’s fault. Built in excuse.

EDIT - just so you know, US were ranked higher than Portugal in 2014 and that’s a fact, not an excuse. Good try though.

Rossa

But it's a strange argument since one has played in one league the whole career. So we'll never now if he'd succeed in England.
It wasn’t my argument. The CL and their national teams were. United is just further proof that Ronaldo can be the best in another top league. True, Messi hasn’t played in another league. But outside Spain, Ronaldo is better. That was my argument.

SportingCP96

Supports
No. You just type fact in capital letters after your opinions. FACT.

You literally said it's a "FACT" that Ronaldo would have won the WC with Argentina.

That isn't a fact. It's an opinion. And a stupid one at that.
I never said that once you should learn how to read before posting.

Ban

It wasn’t my argument. The CL and their national teams were. United is just further proof that Ronaldo can be the best in another top league. True, Messi hasn’t played in another league. But outside Spain, Ronaldo is better. That was my argument.
Fair enough.

Apocalypse

Supports
Chelsea
Barcelona lost the midfield battle tonight, when that happened to Madrid earlier this season Ronaldo was starved of service and his pitiful goal return showed. Now Modric and Kroos are dominating again they look the same force as last season. No coincidence Ronaldos hit a rich vein of scoring form is it?

Tonight it happened to Messi, Valverde got it wrong yet again when the warning signs were there last week and they paid a heavy price, a sackable offence IMO. Messi was under par but they were awful all over the pitch. Iniesta in particular was bullied in the middle of the pitch.

I find it very strange that people seem to forget Madrid have a far superior midfield with the two best full backs in the world, it's not Ronaldo FC at all.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Messi’s no goals in the knockout stage of the WC was Maradona’s fault. Gotcha. I’m sure Ronaldo would have had the same result.

...like now for Messi, Portugal poor team not Ronaldo’s fault. Built in excuse.
I didn't say it was his fault. I'm saying he was a god awful manager who had no clue and it was evident when you watched his side play. Ronaldo for Argentina would've suffered the same fate.

You say that Argentina would've won the World Cup if they had Ronaldo in their team yet Ronaldo couldn't even get out of a group with USA and Ghana. How does that work?

Eddy_JukeZ

No matter where you stand on Messi vs Ronaldo, I don't see how anyone can argue that Barcelona aren't inferior to Real.

What player from Barcelona would get in Real's team(besides Messi)?

No one except maybe Ter Stegen(but him and Navas are close either way) and probably Busquets.

Real have players like Kovacic, Bale, Asensio and Vasquez as non-guaranteed starters and they'd all be starters in Barcelona.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Ronaldo was poor for 4 months before the turn of the year, then has an amazing 2018. Messi has been amazing for almost 8 months and he has one game where he doesn’t become the clutch winner and he is inferior to Ronaldo? Ridiculous.

Ronaldo has saved his best for the end when they are miles out for the league title. And only has only showed up when they are already out of the running for the league, whilst only having one trophy to play for. Which is only 6 games or so in the knockout rounds. Where was he to win the league, which requires more consistency by the way.

SportingCP96

Supports
Of course it’s still a debate. Don’t be daft. We’re talking about two of the best of all time. People are still debating Maradona vs Pele.
It is a debate I take back that statement . This argument is simply frustrating is all.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
His World Cup was OK at best considering he only scored in the group stage. And do you see what I mean about the double standard? You just said if he won something for his country he would be up their with Pele and Maradona. YET Ronaldo has WON a major honor for Portugal and the same is not said.
Well, you can have a great world cup without scoring, you know? Just like you can have a bad one despite having some goals. I mean, it is not like people like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Maradona or others scored that many goals but they are still considered greater than many prolific goal scorers of their time. By the way, it is even possible to have a bad tournament although you win the thing. Funnily enough, both incididents occured in the last four years :)

Ban

Lmao ok buddy lets compare Otamendi to Fonte Argentina midfield compared to Portugal and lets not even talk about forwards. Watch Football for once and try to understand it before you say something so stupid.
Lets compare Pepe to Otamendi bud. Oh and do compare Argentina midfield with Portugal one bud.

SportingCP96

Supports
I didn't say it was his fault. I'm saying he was a god awful manager who had no clue and it was evident when you watched his side play. Ronaldo for Argentina would've suffered the same fate.

You say that Argentina would've won the World Cup if they had Ronaldo in their team yet Ronaldo couldn't even get out of a group with USA and Ghana. How does that work?
Because compare the quality of Portugal team to Argentina ?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Germany & USA in the same group. Both who were ranked higher than shitty Portugal in 2014.

Next.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Ronaldo was poor for 4 months before the turn of the year, then has an amazing 2018. Messi has been amazing for almost 8 months and he has one game where he doesn’t become the clutch winner and he is inferior to Ronaldo? Ridiculous.

Ronaldo has saved his best for the end when they are miles out for the league title. And only has only showed up when they are already out of the running for the league, whilst only having one trophy to play for. Which is only 6 games or so in the knockout rounds. Where was he to win the league, which requires more consistency by the way.
The problem here is you're applying logic. Stop it.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Just came across this. Ronaldo has started to show up more recently when he has realised that to get acknowledged alongside Messi he has to save himself for the CL and the end of the season.

He has only been argued properly vs Messi in the last 2/3 years, whilst people just easily dismiss and forget everything Messi did because the present is where we are at and it is easy to argue when in the moment.

Them stats there are ridiculous. Every season they are quite equal but Messi pissed all over him there.

It is no coincidence that Ronaldo has been getting rested more the last couple years then has a blinder in the CL at the end of the season. Because he is being saved to use all his energy in the latter stages of the season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he asks for it so that he can inflate his ego and stats because people only seem to notice Messi vs Ronaldo for their CL performances.

Not surprising because not everyone follows other countries leagues. But everyone follows the CL.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
No matter where you stand on Messi vs Ronaldo, I don't see how anyone can argue that Barcelona aren't inferior to Real.

What player from Barcelona would get in Real's team(besides Messi)?

No one except maybe Ter Stegen(but him and Navas are close either way) and probably Busquets.

Real have players like Kovacic, Bale, Asensio and Vasquez as non-guaranteed starters and they'd all be starters in Barcelona.
Don't talk sense in here people don't like it

SportingCP96

Supports
Lets compare Pepe to Otamendi bud. Oh and do compare Argentina midfield with Portugal one bud.
Ok so defense Argentina is clearly better Pepe vs Otamendi is debatable. Midfield well besides 2016 and now where Portugal have an ok midfield before that Raul Meireles Veloso were starters compared to Mascherano Biglia pastors among others. As for offense lets not even start Aguero Higuaín Lavezzi at one point Di Maria. Are we really comparing squads? you will lose that debate rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.