Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Old Testament thinking is never good.

Mocking and arrogant behaviour regarding a completely specious debate (do these kind of posters take as much effort discussing socio/economic issues and real injustices?) seems to be the sport du jour for many on the internet; psychiatrists would tell you it’s the product of a classic insecure/overblown ego complex. I’ve found this to be very close to the truth in many, many cases I’ve encountered where people’s own self-esteem is far too closely tied to how a complete stranger performs in sport. A very strange psychosis, indeed.

The lack of respect, understanding and reading things in context with those that may disagree with your assertions is, sadly, something which I’ve seen increase substantially in society over the last 30 years. Human beings aren’t genetically becoming dimmer (as tempting as it can be to think this); we are organising ourselves in a manner that is causing it to happen. It’s interesting to view but bloody frightening.

I blame Ayn Rand and then Alan **** Greenspan, but that’s another story...

I’m sure I’m boring you all now, so I’ll flee this insanity. I’ve tried to derail the nonsense here before but know I’m fighting a much higher power (the only known cure for some of the immense ego on these boards is a 100 mic. dose of the dreaded Lysergic, but that’s a little harsh!).

Enjoy football for the meaningless pursuit it is and please play nice, kids!
PARKLIFE

padr81

Supports
Man City
As I said a while ago if in a rating of1-10 10 being the highest score. For me Ronaldo would be a 10 BUT Messi would be a 9.9 it is that close in my eyes but its intangibles and X factors that push Ronaldo ahead for me.
I guess thats where we disagree I have that 0.1 swinging the other way.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I'm not entirely sure what you are arguing here. Messi and Ronaldo have practically identical winning records. With both players being as key in all of those 8 CL runs, though the CL leans Ronaldos way.....Messi is always key in the league as is Ronaldo and Messi clearly has the edge there and in the Domestic Cup finals but well you can give Ronaldo the edge internationally I guess even if he didn't do anything in the final.

They've both come through "when it matters"....and both haven't at times.

At this point, who you see as the better is down to probably what you prefer - Ronaldo's relentlessness or Messi's beauty I guess. I don't know. This thread is fun because it's actually insane.
Yep haha

AngliaRed

Goals win games and trophies

Not dribbles or cutting through balls!

We should be lucky we’re alive to have Ronaldo & Messi making and breaking records each week!

Ronaldo can go 89 minutes and do nothing all game then score a match winner, which leads to a trophy time and time again. Messi can take on players for fun all game and score in a 2-2 draw, who’s performance is remembered? Ronaldos of course. When looking back on these 2 players careers all what matters is trophies, Pretty obvious to me that Ronaldo at his current rate and with Madrid and Portugal and his trophies from United will end with more trophies than Messi when they both retire. If madrid win the UCL again this season and Portugal have a good WC Ronaldo could have another Ballon dor to his collection.

That being said they’re both fantastic players and a privilege to watch.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

We should be lucky we’re alive to have Ronaldo & Messi making and breaking records each week!

Ronaldo can go 89 minutes and do nothing all game then score a match winner, which leads to a trophy time and time again. Messi can take on players for fun all game and score in a 2-2 draw, who’s performance is remembered? Ronaldos of course. When looking back on these 2 players careers all what matters is trophies, Pretty obvious to me that Ronaldo at his current rate and with Madrid and Portugal and his trophies from United will end with more trophies than Messi when they both retire. If madrid win the UCL again this season and Portugal have a good WC Ronaldo could have another Ballon dor to his collection.

The debate is who is the better footballer, not the most prolific goalscorer. Messi’s ability is just incredible, what he can do with the ball and his football brain is out of the world.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

This is what I’ve always said as well.

Cristiano is much more efficient with his energy.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They won it because of the impact they had on their team. Not due to how that impact precisely happened. Ronaldo didn't win it because of his goalscoring records and Messi didn't win it because of his dribbling.

Judging players by how consistently good they are at their different attributes throughout the season without taking into account their impact on their team and on their team's results would be a stupid way to judge it. 2017 showed why and I don't think anyone argues Ronaldo didn't deserve to win it.
Don't think so. Again, there were usually players during their time that scored far more than them and if it would be only about this impact then they would have been named in the same sentence. If you judge Ronaldo's impact higher than Messi's you would have to rate exemplarily Gerd Müller's impact on his team higher than that of Beckenbauer as long as you apply the same criteria. And no, I don't want to compare Ronaldo to Müller but this is the case where the difference is the most apparent. You could also name Eto'o and Ronaldinho or Laudrup and Stoichkov or Zidane and Raul/Henry.

See, my point is that obviously, the criteria are changed somehow. You are generally right that it is about the impact but in recent times, this impact tends to be reduced to goals while the overall contribution gets overlooked. And to come back to the initial point, dribbling is still one of the best ways to create chances, especially individually, and Messi is a master in it just like the majority of the greatest footballers to date.
What initially brought Cristiano into the Ballon D'Or discussions (and rightfully so) was his play style back then, not the amounts of goals he scored.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
There’s a difference between the 2.

I agree Messi is the most talented player ever. That doesn’t meant he’s the BEST player as Ronaldo is that imo with him coming through when it matters most.

Some would prefer the most talented player which is perfectly fine. I prefer the one you know you can rely on, the best big game player ever.
The debate is who is the better footballer, not the most prolific goalscorer. Messi’s ability is just incredible, what he can do with the ball and his football brain is out of the world.
Ability/talent/skill ≠ best footballer.

Yes Messi is the most skilled player ever. Doesn’t mean he was the best player. That’s like saying a street player with immense skill is better than Ronaldo because he has more ability. There’s a lot more to it than just that.

Zen

Again, not quite true. Look at the people who remember and love Matt Le Tiss, no trophies, no galore, but what a player. People don't just "forget" Messi non-winning achievements or magic, I'm not sure why you think that.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

But how does any of that point to Ronaldo being "better"?

More effective, perhaps, but then we also know that isn't the case.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Don't think so. Again, there were usually players during their time that scored far more than them and if it would be only about this impact then they would have been named in the same sentence. If you judge Ronaldo's impact higher than Messi's you would have to rate exemplarily Gerd Müller's impact on his team higher than that of Beckenbauer as long as you apply the same criteria.
No, I don't. I rate Ronaldo's impact higher because I think throughout their careers he's done better internationally and in the CL. You just look at the attributes that you think matter most, watch how consistently good they are at them without taking into account the importance of those matches and then choose.

See, my point is that obviously, the criteria are changed somehow. You are generally right that it is about the impact but in recent times, this impact tends to be reduced to goals while the overall contribution gets overlooked.
No, it absolutely doesn't. Literally noone rates them on how many goals they scored for the season, it might be one of the factors but there's a lot more to it.

And to come back to the initial point, dribbling is still one of the best ways to create chances, especially individually, and Messi is a master in it just like the majority of the greatest footballers to date.
Dribbling is one of the best way to create chances, there are other ways too. Creating chances matters, how they create chances doesn't.

What initially brought Cristiano into the Ballon D'Or discussions (and rightfully so) was his play style back then, not the amounts of goals he scored.
No, it was by being a great player, not by his style of play. There's been players in the top 10 of the Ballon D'Or with every style of play imaginable.

Apocalypse

Supports
Chelsea
Seriously, the vote swing based on two games in the space of the last week is absolutely pathetic.

The Classico is just around the corner, this thread is going to explode with genuine lunacy if it doesn't end in a draw.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Ability/talent/skill ≠ best footballer.

Yes Messi is the most skilled player ever. Doesn’t mean he was the best player. That’s like saying a street player with immense skill is better than Ronaldo because he has more ability. There’s a lot more to it than just that.
I mean, it just blows my mind how you and other Ronaldo stans admit this much but still think he's better than Messi. You admit Messi has more ability yet think Ronaldo is better? Because his goals win matches? What does Messi's goals do? I don't get it. It isn't like Ronaldo's trophy haul is any bigger than Messi's. So what puts Ronaldo over the edge?

It seems like you lot prefer Ronaldo because he's less involved than Messi but then pops up with a game winning goal. I don't get it, sorry.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

And how are these goals created? Through dribbles and cutting through balls most often.
The thing is, if you take a look at the players that are remembered as the greats, it is not about goals but how they played. Maradona is widely considered as the best player ever and he wasn't that good of a goal scorer. His goal of the century is the most prolific world cup moment to date because of the way he scored it and his legacy is based on it for large parts.

And its not about the total amount of titles they won. Pele winning three world cups doesn't automatically position him above everyone else. People compare him with Maradona and then there are the one's who argue the latter was greater because of his incredible abilities although he was nowhere near him in terms of trophies.

I imagine future generations watching video footage of Cristiano and Messi in their prime in the same way we watch past greats nowadays and honestly, I cannot possibly think of a way a neutral spectator would rate Ronaldo higher. What Messi does is simply more impressive.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Seriously, the vote swing based on two games in the space of the last week is absolutely pathetic.

The Classico is just around the corner, this thread is going to explode with genuine lunacy if it doesn't end in a draw.
The league doesn’t matter compared to CL. What’s more important, homework or the exam?

You’re delusional if you say you prefer being the “best” in your country when another club from your country is the best in the world.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I mean, it just blows my mind how you and other Ronaldo stans admit this much but still think he's better than Messi. You admit Messi has more ability yet think Ronaldo is better? Because his goals win matches? What does Messi's goals do? I don't get it. It isn't like Ronaldo's trophy haul is any bigger than Messi's. So what puts Ronaldo over the edge?

It seems like you lot prefer Ronaldo because he's less involved than Messi but then pops up with a game winning goal. I don't get it, sorry.
If you think talent on the ball makes a player better than another then you do not understand how the sport works.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
And how are these goals created? Through dribbles and cutting through balls most often.
False. Through crosses, through great movement and runs, through good positioning, etc.

How many of Madrid's goals come after dribbles or through balls?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

You may never get it.

It’s like basketball, there’s MJ/Kobe and then there’s Lebron. Sure Lebron is more talented than them but he’s not better than them. Because end of the day, any follower of basketball with half a brain if they had to choose to win a game would pick MJ/Kobe over Lebron any day of the week.

At the end of the day, it’s the guy you can trust and rely on to show up when it matters most in crunch time. Ronaldo clearly has that edge over Messi and the lesser disappearing acts.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
If you think talent on the ball makes a player better than another then you do not understand how the sport works.
Exactly lol how ridiculous is that.

In that case, why don’t clubs just sign all the street ball players in the world? Surely they’re all better than Ronaldo :rolleyes:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
False. Through crosses, through movement, through positioning, etc.

How many of Madrid's goals come after dribbles or through balls?
If you look at the last two or maybe even three ball actions, few. If you look at the whole "chain of plays", the majority. That is the reason Kroos, Modric, Isco and Marcelo are so important. They constantly create the momentum, transitions and the dominance you need to get around the box.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
If you look at the last two or maybe even three ball actions, few. If you look at the whole "chain of plays", the majority. That is the reason Kroos, Modric, Isco and Marcelo are so important. They constantly create the momentum, transitions and the dominance you need to get around the box.
That's not creating chances though

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Alone? No. Otherwise Ronaldinho is absolutely the greatest footballer of all time and there's no discussion.

That level of talent on the ball combined with:

• 618 career goals and 247 assists in 753 games
  • 91 goals in a calendar year
  • 9x La Liga
  • 4x Champions League
  • 5x Ballon d'Or
  • Barcelona all time top scorer
  • Argentina all time top scorer
All by age 30.

Granted, Ronaldo has 20 more CL goals in 25 more CL apps than him which negates the above.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Alone? No. Otherwise Ronaldinho is absolutely the greatest footballer of all time and there's no discussion.

That level of talent on the ball combined with:

• 618 career goals and 247 assists in 753 games
  • 91 goals in a calendar year
  • 9x La Liga
  • 4x Champions League
  • 5x Ballon d'Or
  • Barcelona all time top scorer
  • Argentina all time top scorer
All by age 30.

Granted, Ronaldo has 20 more CL goals in 25 more CL apps than him which negates the above.
Ah yes, the classic I'm going to make up your argument, make it sound stupid and then argue against it. You need a break.

Talent on the ball isn't everything because there are a hundred more things that matter inside of a football pitch.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You may never get it.

It’s like basketball, there’s MJ/Kobe and then there’s Lebron. Sure Lebron is more talented than them but he’s not better than them. Because end of the day, any follower of basketball with half a brain if they had to choose to win a game would pick MJ/Kobe over Lebron any day of the week.
Mate, it's 2018, only Kobe Bryant and Laker stans are still putting Kobe above LeBron ffs :lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Ah yes, the classic I'm going to make up your argument, make it sound stupid and then argue against it. You need a break.

Talent on the ball isn't everything because there are a hundred more things that matter inside of a football pitch.
Hence why I agreed with you and gave more reasons :confused:

But evidently you don't have a comeback this time.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Mate, it's 2018, only Kobe Bryant and Laker stans are still putting Kobe above LeBron ffs :lol:
Lebron dreams of having the killer instinct MJ and Kobe had, he’s a choker.

Likewise, Messi dreams of being the big game player Ronaldo is. And there’s no way around it.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You think the captains of Tuvalu, Bermuda or Chad are experts in international football?.

Anyway, that's beyond the point, someone told you that this debate, at general level, has a lot of people pushing for Ronaldo because they're Real Madrid and United fans, 2 of the 3 most followed teams in the world, it wasn't only about votes in any gala, just how certain people were predisposed to root for one or the other due to their club allegiances.
Although you have gone out of your way to find some irrelevant teams I am willing to bet that captains of those teams regardless of their level know more about football than both you and I combined.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's not creating chances though
Why isn't it? These chances would not even come to exist if it wasn't for these plays. Dominating the midfield is what wins you titles respectively gives you the greatest chance of doing so. Every tactical development in the past ten years had the goal of creating midfield dominance. The two strikers up front, traditional wingers and arguably even the four man backfield defense died out because coaches wanted more players in the center. The greatest teams were those who controlled the midfield. Spain, Germany and Bayern won big international titles without having a super top class goal scorer because they were dominant sides. And they do this through superior passing and - yes - dribbling. You are talking about the impact on the game, how isn't this the biggest impact a player can have?

Since Spain won Euro 2008, literally every international title won was either by a dominant team or a lucky shot (Chelsea, Inter, Portugal). Spain had Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Alonso, Germany Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Özil, Barcelona Busquqets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi, Madrid Casemiro, Isco, Modric and Kroos and Bayern Kroos, Schweinsteiger and Martinez. And people always felt that. This is why playmakers are so prestigous positions.

Also, you are talking of positioning, runs, spatial awareness and stuff like that. I don't want to take away the importance of these attributes but this brings me back to my point of you applying different criteria to Ronaldo than to past greats. Because Gerd Müller is probably the player that was the most prolific in these areas after Cristiano. And you will struggle to find a great that can keep up with him in that regard. These are important abilities, without a doubt, but not those that make you the best player.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Hence why I agreed with you and gave more reasons :confused:

But evidently you don't have a comeback this time.
I said talent on the ball isn't everything on the freaking pitch and then you mention goals and their trophies?

What the hell does that have to do with anything? There is more to how good a player is at football than how good he is on the ball, that's my point since you blatantly had said you didn't understand it. The runs he makes, how good he is in the air, his athleticism, his pace, positioning, decision making, etc. I'm not saying Ronaldo's better or worse at those things before you miss my point another time. I'm saying those things matter.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Goals in quarters, semis and final of the Champions League

Ronaldo: 40

Messi: 16

Messi doesn't disappoint often and he is not a choker like a few people are claiming here but he's certainly disappointed on the big stage more often than Ronaldo. Not because of those numbers either, you'll say he might not have scored but he creates more but the problem is that has failed him too in the biggest stages.

So yes, how consistently good they are at different things doesn't matter at all if you don't put it into context.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I said talent on the ball isn't everything on the freaking pitch and then you mention goals and their trophies?

What the hell does that have to do with anything?
There is more to how good a player is at football than how good he is on the ball, that's my point since you blatantly had said you didn't understand it. The runs he makes, how good he is in the air, his athleticism, his pace, positioning, decision making, etc. I'm not saying Ronaldo's better or worse at those things before you miss my point another freaking time. I'm saying those things matter.
Because accolades and achievements aren't the same thing as talent on the ball... :confused:

You say talent isn't everything. I agree and give other reasons as to why I feel the way I do.

What don't you get here?

Ronaldo is better in the air, he is more athletic and he's faster. I'd agree with that wholeheartedly. My whole thing is I just don't see how it can trump talent on the ball. I'm aware that there's more to the game than technique but ultimately when it comes down to it, how can anyone prefer brute strength and athleticism over elegance and technique. Which you obviously do given you think Ronaldo's better than Messi despite admitting that Messi has more ability.

Trophy Room

This debate will rage on until the end of time ala Pele/Maradona no doubt. Lately however, BY MESSI's STANDARDS, he is not having as much of an impact as Ronaldo is. You have to admire Ronaldo's longevity. I thought he was done.

Cue Messi hatrick in the El Clasico. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.