g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kidbob

Your mistaking being more talented with being the better footballer mate.
No I'm bloody not mate. Quaresma is more talented than Ronaldo but not the better player. However we are comparing 2 guys whose stats are basically the same but one has shown abilities overall that the other hasn't. Bloody hell when Messi was winning everything all the Ronaldo fans cried Xavi and Iniesta. Now that Ronaldo is winning everything they decry the team he plays in. Fact of the matter is that Messi depended less on his support acts that Ronaldo has overall. Both are all time incredible players but one is a better footballer than the other. Which is what this thread is about, not who has won the most trophies.

Easier question for our posters so, Rooney v Gazza, who was the better player? One won a hell of a lot more but in my mind one was clearly better at the playing the game (and check my post history, I'm a Rooney fanboy completely).

fck

Supports
Bayern
Messi fanbois can trying comparing numbers all they want to make them feel better.

End of the day, their legacies are on the line. You either pull through or choke, that’s what it comes down to and all history will remember - thus why history will remember Messi as NOT a big game player who quit.
I have seen Ronaldo "choke" or being ineffective plenty of times tbh.

Sing you a song

I don't know whether to see this thread as annoying or hilarious one side obviously will never convince the other .
For me it is easy
Messi has been a phenomenal player for Barcelona

Ronny has been a phenomenal player for Madrid AND for united in the toughest league in the world and has won a major trophy with his second rate national team ( in comparison to Argentina ) he continues to almost single handedly drag Portugal forward .

Messi is nowhere near him so Messi fanboys get over it

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
It’s almost as if Messi is easy to mark on headers making his inefficient in the box

Good try though :lol:
As if Messi could trust Andre Gomes to put a perfect pass into Dembele, just so he can cross to Suarez to win a penalty.

You're talking apples and oranges.

SirAF

Ageist
It’s the key moment that define a career. Cruel, but true. Rondo rose to the challenge again tonight, fair play to him.

I will say with regards to this thread though. The Ronaldo fans on this thread make rooting for him so very difficult. Really guys, you are the very definition of obnoxious.
You weren't around when the other guy won 3 or 4 Ballon d'Ors on the bounce..

mancan92

This game shows it completely again. The thread is not about the more successful player but the better player. Ronaldo does nothing all game, his team deserve to go out but they get through. Great penalty all the same.

You guys are always completely missing the point of this thread by bringing up trophies. It's not about who has won more, it's about who the better footballer is. Hands down it's Messi. His best performances not only better Ronaldos but they shit all over them. Again (and it won't be believed unfortunately) I'm a Ronaldo fan, he's payed for my team while Messi has played for a team I dislike because they ruined our Champions League hopes twice. However on pure abilities asa player (which is what this thread is actually about, not achievements) Messi is superior by quite a margin. Ronaldo is in the tier above all others except Messi.

It simply doesn't matter if Ronaldo scores the winning goal for Madrid in a Champions League final against Barca while doing feck all if Messi has dominated the game from start to finish. The player that is the best on the pitch is the better footballer but maybe not the winner of the game. I mean is O'Shea superior to Gerrard for that last minute goal, or to Henry for the same (silly question obviously O'Shea is a better player than both).

I'll again refer to Park v Le Tissier, both top players but one won lots of trophies and one was the better footballer, who was it?

The best GAA footballer I've ever seen never won the ultimate prize at all but to bloody hell with you if you think he wasn't better than all those that actually did, but as in the case with Ronaldo I'm not saying the others were bad players, there was simply someone better at playing the game than them.
Theres a difference between the best footballer and the best player.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It’s crazy that after so much debate yesterday about Real being miiiiles better than Barcelona with and without Ronaldo who’d never bottle a 3 goal lead. Exactly that happened tonight and no one has brought that up.

So much better without Ronaldo yet still had to rely on him to create their best chance in dying minutes (which Vazquez messed up anyway). Ronaldo takes the only chance in the game to put his team in the Semis with a perfect penalty and now the talk is why didn’t he step up earlier?

Why not bring that up in regards to Messi yesterday? He could’ve settled it himself after 3-0 and before that he could’ve stepped up himself (that’s what people are bringing up tonight in regards to Ronaldo’s performance). Why such double standards I wonder?
I think the most noticeable difference has to be Ronaldo not becoming absent in this game. People might, rightly, not like his antics and going down so easily but he was showing a lot of desire and always trying to generate something for his team. Compare that to what Suárez or Messi offered yesterday and there's a noticeable difference in terms of attitude in moments of pressure.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
It’s the key moment that define a career. Cruel, but true. Rondo rose to the challenge again tonight, fair play to him.

I will say with regards to this thread though. The Ronaldo fans on this thread make rooting for him so very difficult. Really guys, you are the very definition of obnoxious.
@ the latter, all I’ll say is: what’s the problem? Is there a double standard or something? Just dishing out the same logic Messi/Barca fans used to serve years past when Messi was on top. It’s almost as if the Ronaldo fans had to live with that reality and realized it whereas the Messi ones can’t even accept it.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
No I'm bloody not mate. Quaresma is more talented than Ronaldo but not the better player. However we are comparing 2 guys whose stats are basically the same but one has shown abilities overall that the other hasn't. Bloody hell when Messi was winning everything all the Ronaldo fans cried Xavi and Iniesta. Now that Ronaldo is winning everything they decry the team he plays in. Fact of the matter is that Messi depended less on his support acts that Ronaldo has overall. Both are all time incredible players but one is a better footballer than the other. Which is what this thread is about, not who has won the most trophies.

Easier question for our posters so, Rooney v Gazza, who was the better player? One won a hell of a lot more but in my mind one was clearly better at the playing the game (and check my post history, I'm a Rooney fanboy completely).
Messi depended less is an absolute lie. In fact many can argue and make a case that Messi is a system player and has thrived for that . Hence for his lack of success in Argentina. Let me put it this way a man who knows A LOT more about football then you or me Sir Alex Ferguson said it best. Put Ronaldo in fecking Accrington Stanley and he will still be the same Ronaldo putting up the same numbers. Put Messi in that same team and you wouldn't be so sure.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Goals conceded by Barca (ucl +la liga):
7 + 16 = 23

Goals conceded by Real (ucl +la liga):
9 + 31 = 40

...Messi is being carried by his team.

...Ronaldo carries Real Madrid.
Messi depended less is an absolute lie. In fact many can argue and make a case that Messi is a system player and has thrived for that . Hence for his lack of success in Argentina. Let me put it this way a man who knows A LOT more about football then you or me Sir Alex Ferguson said it best. Put Ronaldo in fecking Accrington Stanley and he will still be the same Ronaldo putting up the same numbers. Put Messi in that same team and you wouldn't be so sure.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@ the latter, all I’ll say is: what’s the problem? Is there a double standard or something? Just dishing out the same logic Messi/Barca fans used to serve years past when Messi was on top. It’s almost as if the Ronaldo fans had to live with that reality and realized it whereas the Messi ones can’t even accept it.
Be the change you want to see in the world :)

If you like being a dick about it that’s fine. Just stop pretending only the other side does it.

kidbob

No no no and no!!

The greatest players step up in the biggest games and that's why trophies are important. Do you think Maradona gets mentioned at all if he was out injured in the summer of 1986 and didn't go?

Football is ultimately about scoring goals, not about looking pleasing on the eye.
The thread is literally about who the better overall player is. Was Rio Ferdinand worse than Heskey then in your mind? Messi's best performances on a football field outdo Ronaldo's best performances win or lose for either in individual games. George Best shits all over any England 66 player but played for Northern Ireland. It's the same bloody thing. For God's sake it doesn't matter who ends up with more trophies, Messi is a better player than Ronaldo. This thread is about comparing them as footballers not as trophy winners. Start another thread for the latter and in all honesty Ronaldo will win.

Answer my question so, was Rooney better than Gazza? By the way I have Rooney well over Shearer, Cole, Kane etc because he was a better 'footballer' than any of them. If scoring goals is all that matters is Rooney the best United player of all time (he has to be in your opinion going off your post).

Again I'll say it, Ronaldo is top 4 of all time but Messi is the best I've ever seen.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Be the change you want to see in the world :)

If you like being a dick about it that’s fine. Just stop pretending only the other side does it.
True, but I make exceptions every now and then ;)

See the other side did it as dicks years back. I’m just doing it so they get a taste of how it was and it’s funny them not being able to accept it.

SportingCP96

Supports
True, but I make exceptions every now and then ;)

See the other side did it as dicks years back. I’m just doing it so they get a taste of how it was and it’s funny them not being able to accept it.
I even remember the times I used to hear " Messi is better because he is more humble." that one used to irk me aha

padr81

Supports
Man City
Then Sir Alex was obviously going senile and needed to be put out to pasture. Messi wouldn't score as many goal in League 2 as he does in La Liga? FFS.. some of these arguments are just stupid (as is Sir Alex's here)

kidbob

Theres a difference between the best footballer and the best player.
No there's not. This thread is about who the superior player is. If you want a thread on who the more successful player is then make it. Messi's best performances beat Ronaldo's one. Again before I'm attacked I'm not shitting on Ronaldo, he's amazing. As a United fan I want him to be the one who kicks Liverpool out of the CL because of his connections to this club. If Roma can't win the whole thing I want him to win it.

This thread is about who the superior footballer is full stop. It's Messi.

Cal?

CR7 fan

If that's the case, why has Messi gone out of the CL before the SF 4 times in 5 seasons? Basically since the demise of Xaviesta, Messi has struggled in the CL.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
This guy Roncero would destroy the Messi brigade in this thread, its just embarassing the amount of excuses always for Guardiola and Messi compared with Cristiano or Mourinho, I am not a huge fan of both but I like to see the Pepistas and Messistas double standards. Football won today.
I just realized I had 9 and not a zero...damn fingers

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
No there's not. This thread is about who the superior player is. If you want a thread on who the more successful player is then make it. Messi's best performances beat Ronaldo's one. Again before I'm attacked I'm not shitting on Ronaldo, he's amazing. As a United fan I want him to be the one who kicks Liverpool out of the CL because of his connections to this club. If Roma can't win the whole thing I want him to win it.

Who is the better footballer: Antonio Valencia or Shaqiri from stoke?

SportingCP96

Supports
Then Sir Alex was obviously going senile and needed to be put out to pasture. Messi wouldn't score as many goal in League 2 as he does in La Liga? FFS.. some of these arguments are just stupid (as is Sir Alex's here)
I Dont think you understand what he was trying to say. He was basically saying Messi is a product of the system he is in. Meaning we would not see the same Messi if he was playing for say Chelsea. Still would be head and shoulders above the rest but not the same one as of Barcelona teams of years gone by.

SportingCP96

Supports

Clearly that is not true and has not been for a few years now.

Zen

If that's the case, why has Messi gone out of the CL before the SF 4 times in 5 seasons? Basically since the demise of Xaviesta, Messi has struggled in the CL.
You'll just get countered with the last 16 streak of RM before they sorted out support themselves.....QF's look better on paper than last 16 surely?

SportingCP96

Supports
You'll just get countered with the last 16 streak of RM before they sorted out support themselves.....QF's look better on paper than last 16 surely?
Accept Ronaldo was not in that team during that streak bar 1 year where he was injured 3 months. Maybe the stat that shows 8 straight semi final appearances would be more fitting.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The thread is literally about who the better overall player is. Was Rio Ferdinand worse than Heskey then in your mind? Messi's best performances on a football field outdo Ronaldo's best performances win or lose for either in individual games. George Best shits all over any England 66 player but played for Northern Ireland. It's the same bloody thing. For God's sake it doesn't matter who ends up with more trophies, Messi is a better player than Ronaldo. This thread is about comparing them as footballers not as trophy winners. Start another thread for the latter and in all honesty Ronaldo will win.

Answer my question so, was Rooney better than Gazza? By the way I have Rooney well over Shearer, Cole, Kane etc because he was a better 'footballer' than any of them. If scoring goals is all that matters is Rooney the best United player of all time (he has to be in your opinion going off your post).

Again I'll say it, Ronaldo is top 4 of all time but Messi is the best I've ever seen.
You make it sound like all football games are equal and it doesn't matter when you perform.

The fact of the matter is, Ronaldo has a MUCH better record in the CL knockout stage, he's the one who shows up in the big games, and that's why I think he's the greatest footballer ever.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah, I'm putting this thread on ignore. There are about 1000 issues more which I still have to sort in my life, but you have to start somewhere.

kidbob

Morientes v Scholes, the better player? You bring up goals, as usual as Ronaldo fanboys do, when forgetting their overall play in turning the tide of a game. I can remember many a time United have come from behind with their strikers getting the plaudits when it was the midfield who overall turned the tide.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I Dont think you understand what he was trying to say. He was basically saying Messi is a product of the system he is in. Meaning we would not see the same Messi if he was playing for say Chelsea. Still would be head and shoulders above the rest but not the same one as of Barcelona teams of years gone by.
But he's played with and single handedly carried not one but three different Barcelona teams... Pretty sure if he signed for Chelsea this summer, they'd be huge faves and probably win the league comfortably next season, same as if Chelsea signed Ronaldo. I just think its pretty dumb wording by Sir Alex.

Cal?

CR7 fan
But Ronaldo wasn't part of that last 16 streak except for this first season in Spain where he was injured quite often.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
It's strange, they know they're annoying but think they have a right to be like that cause Messi fans were annoying. :)
Again, the hypocrisy.

Not think, we know. Hate to burst your bubble but 2way road it is :)

Cal?

CR7 fan
Morientes v Scholes, the better player? You bring up goals, as usual as Ronaldo fanboys do, when forgetting their overall play in turning the tide of a game. I can remember many a time United have come from behind with their strikers getting the plaudits when it was the midfield who overall turned the tide.
Did Morientes and Scholes play in basically the same position?

Why not compare Maldini with Heskey? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.