Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Dribbling is one of the skills you can use to keep the ball away from your rivals, and if you wrap dribbling with a good first touch, passing and vision, you become a better player to help your team keep posession or to attack looking for a goal.

Dribbling in itself is not the game changer, there's a lot of players that could dribble defenders for days and do nothing with it, when you get a player like Iniesta or Leo, and put dribbling as one of their best skills, that's the game changer.

You get someone like Messi and his threatening vision, passing+dribbling and that's the difference between Argentina facing a team with two DM + a support midfielder, or a single DM and two wingers. You think Mascherano could be a starter CB in any other top team in the world if it wasn't for guys like Iniesta and Messi having the skills to bring the ball up the field so much that Masche's theorical position was more of a tackling DM than a CB?.
Finally, the point I was making!!! :D

MalcolmTucker

More playground insults. :rolleyes:

If you have nothing to add, why don't you just go wank over your Messi poster?
My apologies, here's something I'm curious to know your thoughts on which you never addressed Cal...

The aim is to score more than the opposition, you just have a very simple understanding on how that occurs.

Ronaldo in his first three years before his breakout season was scoring and assisting once every 2.74 games. He didn't have great end product but he could carry the ball up the pitch, he could take players on and he could put dangerous balls into the box. Even though this directly lead to goals only once every three games, SAF opted to stick with Ronaldo and play him, why? Because even if Ronaldo dribbled up the pitch only to get fouled, took on his man only to get a corner or put in a dangerous ball only for the striker to miss it; it alleviated pressure, gained an advantage and gave the crowd and united some momentum. Are you saying he was useless back then? His best and only real asset back then was dribbling but I bet that was when he became your favourite player.

I doubt you've ever actually played football, momentum/confidence counts for so much and the tiniest thing can cause it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The aim is to score more than the opposition, you just have a very simple understanding on how that occurs.

Ronaldo in his first three years before his breakout season was scoring and assisting once every 2.74 games. He didn't have great end product but he could carry the ball up the pitch, he could take players on and he could put dangerous balls into the box. Even though this directly lead to goals only once every three games, SAF opted to stick with Ronaldo and play him, why? Because even if Ronaldo dribbled up the pitch only to get fouled, took on his man only to get a corner or put in a dangerous ball only for the striker to miss it; it alleviated pressure, gained an advantage and gave the crowd and united some momentum. Are you saying he was useless back then? His best and only real asset back then was dribbling but I bet that was when he became your favourite player.

I doubt you've ever actually played football, momentum/confidence counts for so much and the tiniest thing can cause it.
Sir Alex opted to stick with him because he's the best manager ever and could see Ronaldo's potential to become the greatest ever.

Would you want someone who played like this old old gif in your team all the time?

MalcolmTucker

Sir Alex opted to stick with him because he's the best manager ever and could see Ronaldo's potential to become the greatest ever.

Would you want someone who played like this old old gif in your team all the time?

Well at least your views on dribbling are consistent

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What? Denilson rings a bell? or Pirlo and the likes on the other extreme?
See, this is why nobody takes you serious in here. You searched my post for a point you could deliberately misunderstand and made an argument that is so superficial that even though it is super easy to disprove debating with you gets extremely tiresome. I didn't say that every dribbler is a good passer or vice versa and you know that very well. I just said that in many cases you need to beat a defender in order to break the formation of the defense and find a lane for a great pass. Not that hard to understand.

Honestly, you have such a limited understanding of football that I think you should really just listen and learn instead of arguing. I believe you never played the sport yourself because if you did you would understand these basic mechanics. You prefering Ronaldo is actually the best argument one can make for Messi.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

pointless step overs =/= effective dribbling.

This is like saying shooting sucks because X manager told X player to stop shooting the ball out of the stadium. Dribbling at the wrong moments (which Ronaldo was prone to in his early days) is bad for several reasons. It can be dangerous when losing possession in a risky area. It's dumb to dribble when a team mate is open. This has nothing to do with the usefulness of dribbling as a whole. I can't imagine you don't understand the point I'm trying to make. I know I should give up, but I just can't help myself.

Dribbling can be used effectively for other things besides than scoring a goal, why can't you admit this simple thing. No one is saying dribbling is the optimal tactic for seeing out a game nor is that at all the point of my example, simply that there are instances in football where dribbling for something other than scoring is effective. There is nothing subjective about this and it has nothing to do with Messi or Ronaldo, it's simply a fact.

That gif is awesome btw :)

This one is also rather appropriate to this debate:

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Football is a simple game, the aim is to score more than the opposition. Everything done on the pitch is ONLY useful if it helps achieve that aim.
That is the aim yes, and being able to keep possession for example is a key factor to achieve that. Being a WC dribbler and passer to find a way out of most situations, even if they don't lead to a goal, is a extraordinary quality to have and arguing against that is baffeling even for this thread.

That's exactly the LVG school of possession for the sake of possession.
No, it isn't. How can you say that after reading my post? I don't know if you're being intentionally ignorant but I literally gave you two examples of why keeping possession is extremely important even if they don't lead to your team scoring, but I guess I have to try again. Dembele and Rafinha failed to dribble and pass respectively so they both lost the ball and the opposition scored because of it. Would them being able to keep possession in those situations be "LVG possession for the sake of possession" or would it literally prevent the opposition from getting the chance to score? Hint: it's not the LVG answer..

Passing and dribbling can often help in the creation of goals, but is only useful when that happens. Denilson wasn't considered a great footballer despite his brilliant dribbling because it leads nowhere most of the time.
So the answer to my question that you bolded is.. no, you don't get it. It's also the 984th time you use Denilson as an example when the dribbling topic comes up but you still don't realise that it's a completely irrelevant argument and it misses the mark by a country mile. One reason is that Messi uses his dribbling to actually create chances and score, and even if he did dribble past 4 players and the following attack led to Suarez hitting row Z it wouldn't be a dribble that led to nowhere if you're looking at Messi's contribution to his team.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It's not like Messi is dribbling past players for fun either these days but the difference is that if Messi dribbles and ends up not being that effective he'll still get praise. When Ronaldo makes great runs like he did yesterday but the ball doesn't get there then he's invisible.

Not denying he should have done more with what he got because he should have and overall it was a poor game from him but he was playing in a very difficult role and Madrid's inability to find his runs or break on the counter was shocking throughout the match.

By the way, the Denilson comparisons are as stupid as the Inzaghi ones.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That is the aim yes, and being able to keep possession for example is a key factor to achieve that. Being a WC dribbler and passer to find a way out of most situations, even if they don't lead to a goal, is a extraordinary quality to have and arguing against that is baffeling even for this thread.
Van Gaal school of philosophy :drool:

Pocho

So if goalscoring is the only thing that matters in football, why is it that Ronaldo fans get so upset when we compare him with Gerd Müller?

Freddie'sRedHair

Supports
Arsenal
So if goalscoring is the only thing that matters in football, why is it that Ronaldo fans get so upset when we compare him with Gerd Müller?
And if goal scoring is the only thing that matters in football, why not field 11 forwards. Just cut out the middleman as the saying goes.

Apocalypse

Supports
Chelsea
It seriously is flid central here.

Surely one of you must realise by posting all these twitter stats you're just solidifying the notion that with Ronaldo it comes down to the sheer number of statistics you can pull out your arse to try and back an argument in favour of him Vs Messi?

Do you know why no one ever quotes them with Maradona? Because he could never be defined by them. He was a rare football genius that comes around once a lifetime. I'm sure there were comparisons with him and Platini at the time, 30 years on you'll get laughed at for saying Platini was a better player. Messi is in that category with Maradona, Ronaldo isn't.

Whether you think Ronaldo is a greater player than Messi is a different matter and is a debate for 10 years time when they're both done and dusted in the footballing world. What isn't up for debate though is whether he's a better footballer than Messi. He isn't and never has been.

Messi and Barca blew a 3 goal aggregate lead ffs :lol:
So did Ronaldo and Real Madrid, at home too. Took a last minute questionable penalty to save them from the biggest upset in CL history.

DonFerguson

@VancouverUtdFan, stick to ice hockey, man.
Pretty much what everyone thinks.

:lol: Another typical Messi cult follower, nothing to say, out with the playground insults. :lol:
Calling you the laughing stock of the forum is not an insult. I'm just stating a fact.

I own 3 United shirts with Ronaldo's name on them and am anything but a cult follower of Messi. I recognize that he's a better player than Ronaldo, though.

That's the difference between a fan and a fanboy. You're the latter and that's why everyone in the forum treats you like a joke.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Lmao you homers are so delusional. If that makes you sleep better at night go for it. Won’t change it happened. That’s like if Messi dribbled through defenders and played the ball off to an open teammate for a goal I would ignore his contribution to the goal for moving defenders away. Ronaldo in the goal without even having to touch the ball drew all the defenders attention to him by faking he’d strike the ball/control it and letting it roll. That’s how concerned the Bayern players were of him and how much attention he had.

> ball is crossed
> Ronaldo makes move towards the ball as if he were to hit it/get it
> every Bayern player in frame is looking at Ronaldo’s anticipation to the ball

> ball is about to drop
> Ronaldo puts a leg up as if he were to get it but decides to lay off it
> all Bayern players still looking at Ronaldo as they’re flat footed

> ball drops on 18 yard line right beside Bayern players foot
> defender realizes after the fact the ball touches down that Ronaldo didn’t get it
> Bayern players frozen staring at Ronaldo but realizing the ball has rolled

> ball hops across
> Bayern defenders in same position as the first frame showing how tunneled in they were
> staring at ball hopelessly at this point

> ball gets struck
> too late for any of the defenders to readjust into position as they are in still positions not moving
> just staring at the ball as they were in first frame

...I’m confused, did that not happen? it’s all I’m saying and have said. The fanboys can turn a blind eye to it and attempt to not acknowledge it, won’t change the fact it is indeed what took place all within the span of 3 seconds. First frame to last, Bayern players are virtually in the same spots. I wonder why that was, could it be some sort of simultaneous coincidence :confused:

Either way this will be my last mention of it. Those who know, know - those who know but don’t want to believe or downplay it will keep doing so. Can’t believe I’m even having to explain it step by step like to some baby who doesn’t quite understand things :lol:

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
The above looks to be some very detailed analysis but it just looks like Ronaldo realised he couldn't reach it and pulled out :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo can do nothing and still win matches, Messi doesn't have the luxury of his team feeding him balls all game and also can not get away with having a bad game as most likely his team doesn't win

Ronaldo needs Real Madrid much more than Messi needs Barca
Poor guy, playing for a relegation team.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
The above looks to be some very detailed analysis but it just looks like Ronaldo realised he couldn't reach it and pulled out :lol:
:p

He’s standing on the 18 yard line. The ball dropped on the 18 yard line. Easy bring down for him which he does regularly for those that don’t watch him enough.

But for your sake, let’s say he couldn’t reach it for whatever reason. Still doesn’t change the fact that his movement/ball anticipation fooled the Bayern players and left them wondering ;)

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan

Calling you the laughing stock of the forum is not an insult. I'm just stating a fact

I own 3 United shirts with Ronaldo's name on them and am anything but a cult follower of Messi. I recognize that he's a better player than Ronaldo, though.

That's the difference between a fan and a fanboy. You're the latter and that's why everyone in the forum treats you like a joke.
Messi may have been a better player than Ronaldo a long long time ago (at least you could make a better case). To think so nowadays is pretty much delusional.

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi may have been a better player than Ronaldo a long long time ago (at least you could make a better case). To think so nowadays is pretty much delusional.
3 years is a long long time ago now?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Bwahaha ronaldo is only good at one thing - scoring. Messi is good at just about everything.

DonFerguson

@VancouverUtdFan I'm really not sure whether to shake my head or laugh. If you think Ronaldo played any significant role whatsoever in yesterday's goal, then I'm convinced your a Ronaldo-hating troll who wants to see him ravaged in this forum.

He played a worse match than anything Messi has ever given in the Champions league since he broke out into a stop star in 2008. Desperately attempting to convince us that he was anything but anonymous and Godawful is only going to lead to more people laughing at you.

He was a much better player a long time ago, a much better player a short time ago, And a much better player today.

If you believe that the Balon D'OR actually goes to the best player in in world, and hasn't descended into a marketing campaign - that's fine. Carry on doing that.

You use the word delusional a lot. And you're posts are are exactly why everyone in this board thinks you are just that.

VP

Lmao you homers are so delusional. If that makes you sleep better at night go for it. Won’t change it happened. That’s like if Messi dribbled through defenders and played the ball off to an open teammate for a goal I would ignore his contribution to the goal for moving defenders away. Ronaldo in the goal without even having to touch the ball drew all the defenders attention to him by faking he’d strike the ball/control it and letting it roll. That’s how concerned the Bayern players were of him and how much attention he had.

...I’m confused, did that not happen? it’s all I’m saying and have said. The fanboys can turn a blind eye to it and attempt to not acknowledge it, won’t change the fact it is indeed what took place all within the span of 3 seconds. First frame to last, Bayern players are virtually in the same spots. I wonder why that was, could it be some sort of simultaneous coincidence :confused:

Either way this will be my last mention of it. Those who know, know - those who know but don’t want to believe or downplay it will keep doing so. Can’t believe I’m even having to explain it step by step like to some baby who doesn’t quite understand things :lol:
This is, frankly, an amazing post. The audacity to equate dribbling past players to misjudging the flight of a ball combined with the multiple screenshots and accompanying analysis - I can only admire the depths you're willing to plunge to win an argument. I think you're outshining every Ronaldo fanboi on the internet. @Cal? , how does this make you feel?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Oh, my cue again.

I won't interfere in any Ronaldo discussions, but Gerd Müller isn't a very good example for a player whose game was only about scoring. He contributed a lot more than just goals. It's a bit of a pity this is all that's remembered of his playing days.

MrEleson

He played a worse match than anything Messi has ever given in the Champions league since he broke out into a stop star in 2008.
Worse than Messi in the 2014 CL quarters where he covered less distance than the GK? Worse than Messi in the 2013 CL semis when Ribery made him sit on his ass?

Ronaldo wasn’t good by any means yesterday (partly due to tactics) but Messi has had plenty of those kind of anonymous performances in the CL in recent seasons (even just one round ago).

MalcolmTucker

Worse than Messi in the 2014 CL quarters where he covered less distance than the GK? Worse than Messi in the 2013 CL semis when Ribery made him sit on his ass?

Ronaldo wasn’t good by any means yesterday (partly due to tactics) but Messi has had plenty of those kind of anonymous performances in the CL in recent seasons (even just one round ago).
I only watched the last 15 minutes of the Roma game but Messi did more than Ronaldo did against Bayern in those 15 mins. Only game I can remember Messi playing as bad was vs. PSG in the first leg last season.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Ronaldo doesn't score for 1 game and suddenly he's an overrated Inzaghi.

In any case how is it possible that after 10 years of both Messi and Ronaldo stellar performances people are still waiting for a bad game to attack them? They are among the best players in history IMHO, and best is always subjective. It won't be a random game in the end of their careers that will "decide" anything.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
It’s so pathetic hahaha

Hope they enjoy the “Ronaldo didn’t score” trophy because it’s all they really have to cling on to at this point :lol:

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
This is, frankly, an amazing post. The audacity to equate dribbling past players to misjudging the flight of a ball combined with the multiple screenshots and accompanying analysis - I can only admire the depths you're willing to plunge to win an argument. I think you're outshining every Ronaldo fanboi on the internet. @Cal? , how does this make you feel?
I guess Ronaldo ‘misjudging’ (if u want to call it that and makes u feel any better) the ball led to the Bayern players ‘misjudging’ him which led to them ‘misjudging’ the ball and the entire sequence as a whole.

Amazing how that works isn’t it.

;)

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
@VancouverUtdFan I'm really not sure whether to shake my head or laugh. If you think Ronaldo played any significant role whatsoever in yesterday's goal, then I'm convinced your a Ronaldo-hating troll who wants to see him ravaged in this forum.

He played a worse match than anything Messi has ever given in the Champions league since he broke out into a stop star in 2008. Desperately attempting to convince us that he was anything but anonymous and Godawful is only going to lead to more people laughing at you.
> he drew the entire defences attention so you’ll just have to learn to live with that - key word being learn.

> only ones that are laughing are at you for failing at comprehension and trying to put words in my mouth which I never said. This entire time all I’ve said was his bit prior to Marcelo’s goal and nothing about Ronaldo having a great game or whatever it is you’re trying to spin.

DonFerguson

> he drew the entire defences attention so you’ll just have to learn to live with that - key word being learn.

> only ones that are laughing are at you for failing at comprehension and trying to put words in my mouth which I never said. This entire time all I’ve said was his bit prior to Marcelo’s goal and nothing about Ronaldo having a great game or whatever it is you’re trying to spin.
If you can convince yourself of that rubbish, that's well and good. You can just read through the thread and see people laughing at your posts. Cristiano Ronaldo fanboys are really something.

"Drew the entire defender's attention" . Are you on a windup or do you believe the tripe you post? He played absolutely no role in the goal. He attempted to control the ball, saw himself struggling, And left it. Marcelo hit an amazing shot. Seeing you squirm as you attempt to give him credit is funny.

And you're right. He didn't have a great game. He had a worse game than anything Messi had in the last 10 years.

DonFerguson

I only watched the last 15 minutes of the Roma game but Messi did more than Ronaldo did against Bayern in those 15 mins. Only game I can remember Messi playing as bad was vs. PSG in the first leg last season.
As Malcolm pointed out, Messi probably did more in the last 10 minutes of the match against Roma than Ronaldo did in 90 against Bayern.

And Messi certainly never had anywhere near this type of anonymous performance. Not at any point in the last ten years.

Using distance covered to describe the impact of a player like Messi is puzzling. He's never needed to cover long distances to be effective. He's efficient in his moment and creates space for his teammates by being a threat, even when he's not making long runs, because of his passing ability.
He was player of the tournament in 2014 and using a match from there as you attempt to engage in false equivocation between Ronaldo and Messi seems a little odd.

At no point since Messi emerged as a top star 10 years ago did have anything close to as bad a match as Ronaldo did last night.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Ronaldo is a better footballer for those who prefer watching the highlights of a game on youtube.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all

> ball is crossed
> Ronaldo makes move towards the ball as if he were to hit it/get it
> every Bayern player in frame is looking at Ronaldo’s anticipation to the ball

> ball is about to drop
> Ronaldo puts a leg up as if he were to get it but decides to lay off it
> all Bayern players still looking at Ronaldo as they’re flat footed

> ball drops on 18 yard line right beside Bayern players foot
> defender realizes after the fact the ball touches down that Ronaldo didn’t get it
> Bayern players frozen staring at Ronaldo but realizing the ball has rolled

> ball hops across
> Bayern defenders in same position as the first frame showing how tunneled in they were
> staring at ball hopelessly at this point

> ball gets struck
> too late for any of the defenders to readjust into position as they are in still positions not moving
> just staring at the ball as they were in first frame

This is even worse than Gary Neville's 'silent domination' analysis of Rooney.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

In any case how is it possible that after 10 years of both Messi and Ronaldo stellar performances people are still waiting for a bad game to attack them? They are among the best players in history IMHO, and best is always subjective. It won't be a random game in the end of their careers that will "decide" anything.
That’s how people behave here these days, they need that one bad game badly to unleash all their fury/unjust suffered (on the internet) over past several months :lol:

(That applies to both side)

Status
Not open for further replies.