Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The two biggest things that go uncredited is Ronaldo’s pure talent and magical ability along with Messi’s hard work. People tend to forget these two things because of how their other qualities outshine them

predator

Youth NITK
The way I've always had this argument in my head is that these two are basically Goku and Vegeta.

Messi is Goku because everything is just absolutely natural to him. Watching him on his day can be magical at times and in a few decades time some of us will be lucky enough to tell the future generation that we witnessed these two incredible players take the skill that is required in football to a new plateau. On a pure footballing sense I think Messi is the better player. The way he plays is something that is inherited and is honed through experience and mastering of the craft.

Ronaldo is Vegeta because of his obsession of being the best. He is a physical Specimen who just seems to get better and better with age. How many interviews have we heard with former team mates of his talking about how dedicated he is in training. What he does off the pitch and on the pitch to ensure and conserve his place in the upper echelon of footballing history is nothing short of awe-inspiring. He is the biggest winner I have ever seen in Football and maybe even in sport. Say what you want about him but through sheer determination and grit he has managed to carve out the closest embodiment of footballing perfection I have ever seen.

TL;DR - They are both an unstoppable force and depending on what your subjective sense of what a footballer should be, that is what you should go with.
Very good analysis haha. I used to adore DBZ so I can relate with you completely.

I love it when we can all just admit they are the best in different ways. Determining who is the 'goat' is like saying which person is/was the most beautiful in the world. I mean some people believe Maradonna or Pele were the goat and they deserve their opinion. I wont bother arguing with someone who is adamant that x player is the goat because they clearly lack open mindedness on the subject. It's a shame but all I can do is be impartial because I respect all sides equally.

Being on a United forum and being a United fan, It's great to see a guy who we signed at 18 and sold at 24 become a candidate for goat.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Patricio is better than Caballero
Guerrero is better than all their fbs Pepe is better than otamendi

Carvahlo is better than all their mfs

Silva had a better season than Di maria and Lanzini (who got injured)

Cedric is better than thier rb.

Portugal have a better gk and defence indivdually, better mf overall and maybe worse attack.

On paper Portugal have a more functional team and the best player in the world
Well I'm not going to disagree with any of your assessments of all those players as you're clearly an expert on Portugal's and Argentina's squads.

The main point of my post (in response to someone who said the respective squads of Messi and Ronaldo are the same) was meant to be about how Messi has attacking teammates that can make it easier/better for him... easier to get assists, easier to get movement to help him score, easier to get assisted.

They're playing Aguero who suits Messis style and have Higuain and Dybala on the bench. Portugal/Ronaldo have nothing close to that and Ronaldo has to do more himself (as tonight showed) which I think makes his stats all the better.

imo

gibers

Well I'm not going to disagree with any of your assessments of all those players as you're clearly an expert on Portugal's and Argentina's squads.

The main point of my post (in response to someone who said the respective squads of Messi and Ronaldo are the same) was meant to be about how Messi has attacking teammates that can make it easier/better for him... easier to get assists, easier to get movement to help him score, easier to get assisted.

They're playing Aguero who suits Messis style and have Higuain and Dybala on the bench. Portugal/Ronaldo have nothing close to that and Ronaldo has to do more himself (as tonight showed) which I think makes his stats all the better.

imo

TBH we are comparing different players. @totaalvoetbal made a good point about Messi on the last page. Messi needs to be involved in all aspects which I think limits his team whereas Ronaldo just needs a moment.

RetroStu

The difference for me is that i could see Ronaldo going to almost any level of club, and still be super dominant and be smashing goals in, i can't say the same wth Messi.
I could be wrong of course but we will never know.

Renegade

The difference for me is that i could see Ronaldo going to almost any level of club, and still be super dominant and be smashing goals in, i can't say the same wth Messi.
I could be wrong of course but we will never know.
Really? You think Messi would struggle to score for another team? Why do you think that?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ronaldo has surely put this to bed over the last few years

RetroStu

Really? You think Messi would struggle to score for another team? On what basis?
No i was talking more about a Stoke, or some shite lack Accrington Stanley lol, i could see Ronaldo still getting ridiculous numbers of goals. I can't say the same with Messi, who has played in one of the best club sides ever for most of his career.

Culero

No i was talking more about a Stoke, or some shite lack Accrington Stanley lol, i could see Ronaldo still getting ridiculous numbers of goals. I can't say the same with Messi, who has played in one of the best club sides ever for most of his career.
Always found it very odd statement. Baseless if anything because his scoring record for Argentina is good.

Renegade

Fair enough if that’s your opinion, just find it strange when people say that. We’re talking about one of the greatest players of all time. If peter crouch and Shaquiri can score goals for stoke I think Messi wouldn’t have a problem.
Do you people have the same opinion on Ronaldo9, Ronaldinho etc scoring goals for teams like Stoke because it’s rarely said against those players.

It’s fair enough to think Ronaldo is the better player. Its very close in my opinion but I feel people try to discredit the other player a bit too hard to prove their point.

Culero

Argentina are not a great side?
Sorry I misread, either way for all intents and purposes just the sheer thought a player of Messi's caliber would not improve a bad side is disrespectful IMO. Why does he only get painted with that brush when looking at one club men?

RetroStu

Fair enough if that’s your opinion, just find it strange when people say that. We’re talking about one of the greatest players of all time. If peter crouch and Shaquiri can score goals for stoke I think Messi wouldn’t have a problem.
Do you people have the same opinion on Ronaldo9, Ronaldinho etc scoring goals for teams like Stoke because it’s rarely said against those players.

It’s fair enough to think Ronaldo is the better player. Its very close in my opinion but I feel people try to discredit the other player a bit too hard to prove their point.
Alright i'll put it another way. If Ronaldo signed for say Stoke, i could see him still getting his 40+ goals over a whole season, i couldn't see Messi getting his usual 40+ goals for Stoke.
Thats just MY opinion.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Ronaldo is more adaptable than Messi which makes it easier to build a team around him in a coherent system that gets the best out of everyone.

RetroStu

Sorry I misread, either way for all intents and purposes just the sheer thought a player of Messi's caliber would not improve a bad side is disrespectful IMO. Why does he only get painted with that brush when looking at one club men?
David Bellion would score 30 goals a season in some of the Barca sides Messi has played in.

Boycott

Maybe not "great" but Messi has some excellent options up front with him. When you can drop Higuain, you know you've got decent attacking options?

Ronaldo/Portugal have nothing like that to call on .... and similar lesser quality all around the pitch really.
Messi probably wishes Higuain gets dropped.

Boycott

David Bellion would score 30 goals a season in some of the Barca sides Messi has played in.
Do you mean to say Messi is so good he elevates a mediocre player like Bellion or Barcelona are so good a mediocre player can play in Messi's place and score 30 goals?

Mainoldo

Alright i'll put it another way. If Ronaldo signed for say Stoke, i could see him still getting his 40+ goals over a whole season, i couldn't see Messi getting his usual 40+ goals for Stoke.
Thats just MY opinion.
I understand but is that just not a height and physique discrimination. He’s always saving Argentina. Did you not witness how they qualified? He makes players like Augero irrelevant. I’m sure he could brush past Championship defenders playing for Stoke.

Renegade

Thats just MY opinion.
Fair enough. I always felt Messi was the one who could create more goals for himself out the two players. It’s a tough one, would be a good experiment to watch though.

MalcolmTucker

I think i could of scored 30 goals in the Barca side of the mid 0's.:p
Ealrly 10's i mean, i get so confused with this new century, 0's and 10's lol, it doesn't sound right.
Are you drunk?

Great performance from Ronaldo, the best I've seen him play for years. Not just his goals, but his link up play too - looked quicker than anyone else on the pitch at 33. Hope Messi puts in a good performance tomorrow.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This Ronaldo fecker’s pretty good honestly. Ball’s definitely in Messi’s court.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I thought Messi was going to be a winner in this discussion but Ronaldo doesn't stop being a freak. It really is wide open, and i think the discussion will actually live on forever and never die

Revan

Assumptionman
Aguero is better than all three but sub for two of the three finals
Aguero is not better than Icardi. He was, but not anymore.

Icardi actually might be the second best Argentinian player, but he doesn't get called, cause Messi doesn't like him. But yeah, Portugal with their majestic players have a better team than poor little Messi who has only Aguero, Dybala, Higuain and Di Maria to help him.

Miscemayl

Messi might be technically better but I have no doubt who is the better player overall - Ronaldo easily.

More CL, titles in multiple leagues, major international wins.

Messi for Barcelona is out of this world but Messi for Argentina is no where close. So how much of his superlative success is thanks to the system? Still no doubt he's a great great player but there is a drop.

For Ronaldo, he's done it in multiple teams, in different leagues, and his performances don't drop when he's playing for Portugal. Today he almost singled handedly dragged the team through. It is much clearer to me that Ronaldo's success is less reliant on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.