g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Even that is too much to ask, and by doing so, he essentially gives his best part of his game, aka scoring a shitload of goals.

I think that Riquelme had a better understanding of the pitch, his passing was even better, he had more tactical discipline and at least he tried to defend (Messi doesn't). Messi of course is a way better dribbler, and that counts a lot for an attacking midfielder. Anyway, Messi can become a lite/worse version of Riquelme and sacrifice his almost unparalleled goalscoring abilities, but there is no point on doing so. He is at best as a 9.5, terrorizing defenses by scoring 40-50 goals per season (I don't think that he is able anymore to score 50+ goals per season, but no active player is), while also making 20+ assists per season and creating some good chances by dropping deep.
Firmly disagree. Messi is (one of) the best passer(s) the game has ever seen, superior to Xavi and Iniesta for me.

Revan

Assumptionman
Firmly disagree. Messi is (one of) the best passer(s) the game has ever seen, superior to Xavi and Iniesta for me.
So is Riquelme. I might be biased cause I really liked him, but his passing (in the final third of the pitch) is the best I've ever seen.

Xavi was fantastic too (as was Iniesta) though their primary passing abilities were on short passes in the middle, essentially monopolizing the ball instead of creating clear cut chances (although Xavi had 30+ assist seasons).

Revan

Assumptionman
Still runs more than Berbatov ever did
Nah, Berbatov actually run. The only player comparable with Messi as actually not giving a shit for defense and not running at all is Zlatan when he played for Barca.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
This debate ends today if Messi don't deliver for Argentina.

justboy68

Just doesn't seem to have the same drive to drag this team along with him that Ronaldo has in this tournament. But he can still turn it around.

Adebesi

Its not about this half or even this tournament, but it has forced the issue onto my radar. I dont watch enough of them week in week out to have a really credible opinion on it either way, anyone who watches Spanish football every week who wants to pull rank in terms of their superior knowledge, Im not going to argue the toss. But it looks pretty clear cut to me at this point.

It feels like both were born with extraordinary talent, and Messi's was perhaps the greater, but Ronaldo has an edge in terms of mentality. And that mental toughness has kept him at the top for longer and means he delivers on the international stage.

Maybe the live debate is which of them was the better player at their peak. That's the question history will be most concerned with. But who is the better player now? Doesnt really seem debatable anymore.

RedDevil@84

Just doesn't seem to have the same drive to drag this team along with him that Ronaldo has in this tournament. But he can still turn it around.
Exactly. He hardly seems interested. Maybe looking forward to going back to Barca soon

FujiVice

Wonder how much Messi is charging for that space Ronaldo is renting in his head?

DeGea

Well...now we will see what Messi is made of and whether he can drag Argentina across the line.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Hard to do much if you don't have the ball
Isn't there a running theme in this thread that Messi is a goalscorer, advanced playmaker, centre midfielder and deep lying playmaker all in one?

It's a bit of a conundrum. Messi apparently does everything for Argentina, yet when he plays like shit it's his teammates fault.

This is what happens with fan-boyism, it creates a false image that Messi can't live up to. He's a forward with a bit of playmaking in him. He's not a super soldier that can play in any position.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I’d love to read Messi’s walking stats after every game since about 2013. No footballer at the top-level walks around as much as him, I’d wager.
Someone posted a stat yesterday of him running less than Lloris in Matchday 1, I said after watching him in last game. He is so static, doesn't move enough off the ball.

I don't watch much of Barcelona aside CL knockouts but I can't remember him being this lazy. It's pretty obvious pressure on his shoulder is enormous, he called it quits for Argentina too after Copa America failure and is under enormous pressure again to deliver this WC.

luke511

After watching this game, the last bit from Fergie makes more sense than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.