Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

He has moved very deep to try and get more of the ball because his midfield are incapable of transitioning the ball forward.
Messi is a huge part of this problem too though.
He's walking around too much without pulling them the other way and its hurting the teams shape.
He's simply not making space for himself or his teammates.

Kearnkoff69

The MOAT striking again....

Most Overated of All Time
If I'm being pedantic, the acronym you're looking for is MOOAT. Jokes aside, you can't be serious calling him the most overrated of all time. Even if he isn't the greatest in your eyes, if you can't see his obvious quality, then you're truly blind.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
he’s just not on Ronaldo’s level simple as.

Even the most die hard Messi fan has to admit that or they are in complete denial.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Even the most die hard Messi fan has to admit that or they are in complete denial.
Opinions based on, what, half a year of football at most. Mental. It's like everything up to this season, or even this world cup, doesn't matter to you folk.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Brave to go all in on giving Messi a kicking about his performances at this World Cup with 10 mins left.

That said, I do think Ronaldo has comfortably been the best in the world for the last few years, whereas I used to always be happy to concede that Messi was the better player. I think Ronaldo has developed into a real leader and driving force on the field. He’s getting far more out of Madrid and Portugal than you’d otherwise expect and his teammates are so clearly driven by him. I think Ferguson was right with his comments on Ronaldo being able to be the man in any side, in any team.

altodevil

Brave to go all in on giving Messi a kicking about his performances at this World Cup with 10 mins left.

That said, I do think Ronaldo has comfortably been the best in the world for the last few years, whereas I used to always be happy to concede that Messi was the better player. I think Ronaldo has developed into a real leader and driving force on the field. He’s getting far more out of Madrid and Portugal than you’d otherwise expect and his teammates are so clearly driven by him. I think Ferguson was right with his comments on Ronaldo being able to be the man in any side, in any team.
Rational post. Don't disagree with anything here. It's more when the Cristiano die-hards forget about the 'level' Messi played at between 2008-2013.

Shark

@NotShark
As SAF once said, you put Ronaldo in a championship team and he’d still bang them in and destroy top opposition. Messi needs a specific system and specific players surrounding him to perform at his best. That’s not a GOAT for me.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
If I'm being pedantic, the acronym you're looking for is MOOAT. Jokes aside, you can't be serious calling him the most overrated of all time. Even if he isn't the greatest in your eyes, if you can't see his obvious quality, then you're truly blind.
Acronyms dont have to include every word, especially words like of!

I'm obviously fishing for Messi fan boys.

Messi is a great player, phenomenal player, but he isn't the Avengers rolled into one!

My point is Messi fan boys are so blinded to how great he is that they can't see his faults. Its like blindly following a religion.

Its not even that they think Messi is the best, but that they don't even credit Ronaldo at all.

So I revel in situations like this where the untouchable is very much in the spot light for not being all that.

Kearnkoff69

This debate is tedious and nobody is coming in here ready to change their minds, and yet I still clicked through anyway. That said, this is a blatantly false statement. When the recency bias of Ronaldo's early goal flurry this WC has worn off, statements like this will look even more far-fetched. Both are great players, both have very different skill sets, and like someone said earlier, which player you prefer comes down to what you prioritize or enjoy most out of football. Ronaldo may be playing better than Messi through the first 2 games of this cup, but saying that somehow these first two games have decided the debate is just far too knee-jerky.

Kearnkoff69

Acronyms dont have to include every word, especially words like of!

I'm obviously fishing for Messi fan boys.

Messi is a great player, phenomenal player, but he isn't the Avengers rolled into one!

My point is Messi fan boys are so blinded to how great he is that they can't see his faults. Its like blindly following a religion.

Its not even that they think Messi is the best, but that they don't even credit Ronaldo at all.

So I revel in situations like this where the untouchable is very much in the spot light for not being all that.
Haha fair play to that. Just funny considering GOAT includes "of" while your MOAT didn't. My only response to the bolded would be that the same is true for Ronaldo fan boys - everything is a zero-sum game in this debate with absolutely no grey area. That's why I generally try to stay out of these threads, but I got sucked in this time.

RedDington9

This debate is tedious and nobody is coming in here ready to change their minds, and yet I still clicked through anyway. That said, this is a blatantly false statement. When the recency bias of Ronaldo's early goal flurry this WC has worn off, statements like this will look even more far-fetched. Both are great players, both have very different skill sets, and like someone said earlier, which player you prefer comes down to what you prioritize or enjoy most out of football. Ronaldo may be playing better than Messi through the first 2 games of this cup, but saying that somehow these first two games have decided the debate is just far too knee-jerky.
Recency bias lol Try the fact that Cristiano Ronaldo will forever be the King of the Champions League, destroying Messi in the process, and will soon be taking him over in Ballon D'Ors.
6-5 after being 4-1 down.

If you think these conclusions being made are due to recency bias, you're not understanding the argument being made.

Smithy_123

I guess I can tell you who's not going to win the next Ballon d'Or.

Ronaldo having more than Messi just seems a bit wrong.

altodevil

I guess I can tell you who's not going to win the next Ballon d'Or.

Ronaldo having more than Messi just seems a bit wrong.
It's a narrative based award so not totally surprising. Ronaldo has deserved it the last few years anyway.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Back in 2015 I had Messi as the clearly better player. If I were to quantify it, I would put it 75/25 in Messi's favour. However, as time has gone on Messi seems to have lost his hunger while Ronaldo seems to have gotten more hungry. He's fine with going through the motions beating cannon fodder in La Liga but he's been so so in key moments.

I've considered Messi the better player for ages, but Ronaldo has been slowly creeping up on him. At the moment I still slightly prefer Messi, but if Ronaldo keeps on going like this and wins the World Cup, I'll have to edge it to Ronaldo.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It's that Iranian bloke pulling on the Argentina shirt. I'm sure of it.

altodevil

Back in 2015 I had Messi as the clearly better player. If I were to quantify it, I would put it 75/25 in Messi's favour. However, as time has gone on Messi seems to have lost his hunger while Ronaldo seems to have gotten more hungry. He's fine with going through the motions beating cannon fodder in La Liga but he's been so so in key moments.

I've considered Messi the better player for ages, but Ronaldo has been slowly creeping up on him. At the moment I still slightly prefer Messi, but if Ronaldo keeps on going like this and wins the World Cup, I'll have to edge it to Ronaldo.
I don't understand how you can change your mind like that. It's not like Ronaldo has suddenly become a lot better. He was awful for a lot of this past season. Has Messi declined? Yes, but hardly dramatically. You think Ronaldo now is better than Messi from a few years back?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Messi has done nothing in this international tournament. I for one am shocked. Shocked!

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Gets no merit when he puts this band in 3 consecutive international finals, gets bashed when the same band do nothing in the WC.

Gotta love this thread :lol:

El Jefe

I've lost track in this debate. Is the debate over who is better right now or throughout their careers.

I can't imagine two games in the world cup is enough to sway the debate regarding their overall careers.

Fenomeno9

Gets no merit when he puts this band in 3 consecutive international finals, gets bashed when the same band do nothing in the WC.

Gotta love this thread :lol:
I had a feeling the narrative was gonna change based on this tournament.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I wonder who gets the blame this time, 2014 was Higuain, 2010 was Maradona, 2006 was also the manager (I forgot who it was).

What about 2018? The referee?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Worst thing for me is that Messi is still seen as an angel and Ronaldo is a pantomime villain.

I've said for years that Messi is a stroppy little bitch but because Barça are so dominant you don't see it often. When things aren't going his way he gets petulant, he mouths off at opposition players, he mouths off and surrounds the ref and he kicks out and does niggly little snide things. Someone should lamp him one of these days and put him in his place.

When Rakitić fouled him in the second half he kicked out and threw a wobbly and the commentators were just like 'aw, well he's gonna be frustrated isn't he? Poor thing'.

If Ronaldo reacted like that he'd be castigated and destroyed over and over again by commentators and pundits alike.

As for who's better. They're both in decline from their best but Ronaldo's drive is astonishing. Messi just can't be arsed. Night and day mentality, maybe it always was but it definitely is now.

cyberman

Its Ronaldo for me.
This is Messi prime years yet he's had what? 1 standout season In the CL in 5 years while he helped Argentina get to a WC final, his contribution was overstated because its Messi.
His Super human performances seem to be consigned to within the Spanish borders these days.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Its not about this half or even this tournament, but it has forced the issue onto my radar. I dont watch enough of them week in week out to have a really credible opinion on it either way, anyone who watches Spanish football every week who wants to pull rank in terms of their superior knowledge, Im not going to argue the toss. But it looks pretty clear cut to me at this point.

It feels like both were born with extraordinary talent, and Messi's was perhaps the greater, but Ronaldo has an edge in terms of mentality. And that mental toughness has kept him at the top for longer and means he delivers on the international stage.

Maybe the live debate is which of them was the better player at their peak. That's the question history will be most concerned with. But who is the better player now? Doesnt really seem debatable anymore.
It's about mentality but it's not only that, Ronaldo is the much more adaptable player and he could play at any team in the world without them really having to change anything. For Messi it's harder to do that and he needs a more comfortable environment around him.

Ronaldo is great on all kinds of set pieces, he's great on the counter, he can rely on crosses... it's a much simpler game with Ronaldo on the pitch. Messi needs players to combine, players with the passing ability to thread the needle and break the defensive lines which is a lot more complex and harder to implement.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I've lost track in this debate. Is the debate over who is better right now or throughout their careers.

I can't imagine two games in the world cup is enough to sway the debate regarding their overall careers.
Well that's true but just focusing on adaptability part.
Ronaldo did it with Utd, Real and Portugal. Messi? Only Barcelona with a once in a generation midfield behind him. Credit to Messi for whatever he has achieved but for me he only does well for Barca for the reasons unknown to me at the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.