• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I've never cared for the Ronaldo/Messi stuff

But at this stage of their careers it's a big statement that Ronaldo is returning to the toughest league in the world and Messi is playing in France.
I agree - but that's in relation to legacy. Doesn't change who was the better player when they were at their respective bests.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I've never cared for the Ronaldo/Messi stuff

But at this stage of their careers it's a big statement that Ronaldo is returning to the toughest league in the world and Messi is playing in France.
Messi was on the verge of going to city last year, and now city got grealish.

Ronaldo would have absolutely gone to psg if Messi hadn’t. This bizarre storyline that he’s woken up one day and said “I want a challenge!” When really united fell into his lap when Ronaldo had city not even sure if he was worth spending money on with a low transfer fee and Ronaldo had no problems nearly signing with City and ruining his united legacy until Fergie stepped in.

I definitely wish Messi went to another league that wasn’t the French league which is boring as hell. But everyone and their mother know winning the French league won’t mean anything it’s CL or bust. It was the same thing when Ronaldo went to Juventus who won 8 straight serie A’s but had a brutal CL showing since Ronaldo joined.

I think it’s a good ending for Ronaldo to come back to United, but the mental gymnastic of it being this great honourable thing instead of the fluke that requires Ferguson preventing Ronaldo from disowned by Manchester united was what it came down to.

TheReligion

Abusive

TheReligion

Abusive
Messi was on the verge of going to city last year, and now city got grealish.

Ronaldo would have absolutely gone to psg if Messi hadn’t. This bizarre storyline that he’s woken up one day and said “I want a challenge!” When really united fell into his lap when Ronaldo had city not even sure if he was worth spending money on with a low transfer fee and Ronaldo had no problems nearly signing with City and ruining his united legacy until Fergie stepped in.

I definitely wish Messi went to another league that wasn’t the French league which is boring as hell. But everyone and their mother know winning the French league won’t mean anything it’s CL or bust. It was the same thing when Ronaldo went to Juventus who won 8 straight serie A’s but had a brutal CL showing since Ronaldo joined.

I think it’s a good ending for Ronaldo to come back to United, but the mental gymnastic of it being this great honourable thing instead of the fluke that requires Ferguson preventing Ronaldo from disowned by Manchester united was what it came down to.
Do you have some insight on the transfer that everyone else doesn't or are you just making things up?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Do you have some insight on the transfer that everyone else doesn't or are you just making things up?
show me where I was wrong, seriously

been following every single bit of transfer news when Messi was leaving as well as last season when he wanted to leave and it looked like city was a done deal

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That's what was consistently reported pretty much everywhere. Might have taken Rio stepping in on top of Ferguson. He really didn't have any problem joining City.

mu4c_20le

been following every single bit of transfer news when Messi was leaving as well as last season when he wanted to leave and it looked like city was a done deal
Messi is always on the verge of leaving barca every other year mate

fck

Supports
Bayern
This thread is going to be even more unbearable now.
Over at Juventuz the number of people thinking Ronaldo is better is allready dropping and here it will suddenly increase. :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive

That's what was consistently reported pretty much everywhere. Might have taken Rio stepping in on top of Ferguson. He really didn't have any problem joining City.
You're taking some media reports as fact. Don't you see how silly that is?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You're taking some media reports as fact. Don't you see how silly that is?
When the same sources who announced Ronaldo was leaving Juventus before it was public claim he was in talks with City, yeah, it seems pretty credible to me. Especially when we had different sources in France who also announced Mendes was offering Ronaldo all over europe.

If you want another proof, just take Rio describing the calls he had with Ronaldo :

“I rang him (Ronaldo) straight away: ‘What's going on? Tell me you're lying.’ Every type of no, no, no in the conversation.
“I'm like all the fans, I'm exactly the same and we are all the same like that: ‘Please tell me you're not going?’

"Yesterday I think I probably spoke to Cristiano more than I've spoken to him since he left #mufc, on text, on phone calls through the evening into the night. My missus just rolled over and said 'i'm going to bed, I can't deal with this".

"Sir Alex Ferguson would've been the exact same. He would've hated to see Cristiano in a Man City shirt, just like any other person that's been connected for a long period of time at this football club. "

I mean come on, why do you think Rio would spend the night talking to Ronaldo if he wasn't trying to talk him out of joining City.

Looks pretty compelling to me.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
When the same sources who announced Ronaldo was leaving Juventus before it was public claim he was in talks with City, yeah, it seems pretty credible to me. Especially when we had different sources in France who also announced Mendes was offering Ronaldo all over europe.

If you want another proof, just take Rio describing the calls he had with Ronaldo :

“I rang him (Ronaldo) straight away: ‘What's going on? Tell me you're lying.’ Every type of no, no, no in the conversation.
“I'm like all the fans, I'm exactly the same and we are all the same like that: ‘Please tell me you're not going?’

"Yesterday I think I probably spoke to Cristiano more than I've spoken to him since he left #mufc, on text, on phone calls through the evening into the night. My missus just rolled over and said 'i'm going to bed, I can't deal with this".

"Sir Alex Ferguson would've been the exact same. He would've hated to see Cristiano in a Man City shirt, just like any other person that's been connected for a long period of time at this football club. "

I mean come on, why do you think Rio would spend the night talking to Ronaldo if he wasn't trying to talk him out of joining City.

preach

TheReligion

Abusive

What's your point here?

That Ronaldo picked United but had considered going to City?

He'sRaldo

Coulda woulda shoulda. In the end what actually happened is all that matters.

And what happened is Messi followed oil money to the 6th best league (behind Portugal btw), while CR7 came back to the biggest club in the top league in the world, at 36 years of age.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
What's your point here?

That Ronaldo picked United but had considered going to City?
My point is that Ronaldo would wear a Citizens shirt right now if it was not for City taking too much time to accept Juventus' offer and Rio/SAF calling Ronaldo to tell him he could not go there.
I'm pretty confused, do you think it's normal that Rio had to spend the night on the phone with Ronaldo to explain why he couldn't join City?

TheReligion

Abusive
My point is that Ronaldo would wear a Citizens shirt right now if it was not for City taking too much time to accept Juventus' offer and Rio/SAF calling Ronaldo to tell him he could not go there.
I'm pretty confused, do you think it's normal that Rio had to spend the night on the phone with Ronaldo to explain why he couldn't join City?
I'm not surprised you're confused as you're talking nonsense.

He's wearing a United shirt as he wanted to come to United. It's not that difficult to understand

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

And what happened is Messi followed oil money to the 6th best league (behind Portugal btw), while CR7 came back to the biggest club in the top league in the world, at 36 years of age.
Oh ok so now we're not even waiting for him to actually perform in any fashion for the victory lap? This is getting ridiculous.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I'm not surprised you're confused as you're talking nonsense.

He's wearing a United shirt as he wanted to come to United. It's not that difficult to understand
Yeah right. So you do think it's normal that Rio had to spend a night explaining him why it was not OK to join City, as if he wasn't supposed to know. I'll leave you to your fantasy world where Ronaldo came back to United because of the glory of this magnificent non oil club. On my end, i'll try to convince myself Messi came to PSG because he always dreamed of playing in Paris, we'll see how it goes.I'm done here.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah right. So you do think it's normal that Rio had to spend a night explaining him why it was not OK to join City, as if he wasn't supposed to know. I'll leave you to your fantasy world where Ronaldo came back to United because of the glory of this magnificent non oil club. On my end, i'll try to convince myself Messi came to PSG because he always dreamed of playing in Paris, we'll see how it goes.I'm done here.
Again he's going to United as that's where he wants to go.

It's not difficult to understand.

You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that Messi has any emotional attachment to PSG unfortunately. I hear that they pay well though.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Ronaldo already had a deal done with oil money in man city get off your high horse

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Again he's going to United as that's where he wants to go.

It's not difficult to understand.

You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that Messi has any emotional attachment to PSG unfortunately. I hear that they pay well though.
And how was Ronaldo’s emotional attachment to Juventus?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
What does that have to do with him coming back to United?
any less than saying Ronaldo joined united again from the goodness of his heart. He was having a hard time getting offers until he spoke to city which forced united to step in

TheReligion

Abusive
any less than saying Ronaldo joined united again from the goodness of his heart. He was having a hard time getting offers until he spoke to city which forced united to step in
Who said he joined United from the goodness of his heart?

At this point you're just posting nonsense.

He joined United because he wanted to play for them and turned down the offer from city so they were forced to officially withdraw their interest.

No one knows the exact reasons why he picked United but I think it's reasonable to say he's got an emotional attachment to the club given he spent 6 years there from the age of 18.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Who said he joined United from the goodness of his heart?

At this point you're just posting nonsense.

He joined United because he wanted to play for them and turned down the offer from city so they were forced to officially withdraw their interest.

No one knows the exact reasons why he picked United but I think it's reasonable to say he's got an emotional attachment to the club given he spent 6 years there from the age of 18.
Of course there is an attachment there but it wasn’t like he had 9 different offers. He could have tried going to United after he left Madrid but chose not to. What happened to the emotional attachment then? It took several phone calls from former united players and managers to convince him not to destroy his United legacy. He is also going to be one of the highest paid players in PL history. It’s as big of a factor as only an emotional attachment, of course which there is one.

TheReligion

Abusive
Of course there is an attachment there but it wasn’t like he had 9 different offers. He could have tried going to United after he left Madrid but chose not to. What happened to the emotional attachment then? It took several phone calls from former united players and managers to convince him not to destroy his United legacy. He is also going to be one of the highest paid players in PL history. It’s as big of a factor as only an emotional attachment, of course which there is one.
Did United bid for him when he left Madrid? I don't recall that happening?

Again I'm not sure of your point

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
United were shit after Fergie left. Why would he join when its clear we were not going anywhere and had managerial merry go round? before Ole the club seemed like it had no structure, even during transfer window. This guy is the best alongside with Messi, If he makes a decision it has to be a good one. He is not Hazard nor Lucas Moura.

Regarding his former teammates and manager getting involved in his decision by actively calling him, we dont know for sure. Evra knew Ronaldo was joining us all along, showed a screenshot of their convo on Whatsapp where Ronaldo talked about joining United at the time when all the media were going crazy about him very close to joining City. But this man is obviously concerned about his self image as we have seen with the CocaCola incident. Always had a feeling if he was going to leave Juve it would be to anyone but City.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Regarding his former teammates and manager getting involved in his decision by actively calling him, we dont know for sure. Evra knew Ronaldo was joining us all along, showed a screenshot of their convo on Whatsapp where Ronaldo talked about joining United at the time when all the media were going crazy about him very close to joining City. But this man is obviously concerned about his self image as we have seen with the CocaCola incident. Always had a feeling if he was going to leave Juve it would be to anyone but City.
The Evra conversation was friday morning (yesterday), after Rio and SAF called Ronaldo. Evra knew nothing "all along".

And we do know for sure, Rio said himself he spent the night talking to him. The man litteraly says he called Ronaldo because he didn't want him to join City and talked to him for hours into the night. It's not gossips, it's not reports from the newspapers, it's the words of a United legend. His words " Sir Alex Ferguson would've been the exact same. He would've hated to see Cristiano in a Man City shirt ", He had to tell Ronaldo " Every type of no, no, no in the conversation ". I mean come on guys, he was going to City and had to be reminded that you can't do that when you're a United icon, at one point you'll have to face the hard truth.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The Evra conversation was friday morning (yesterday), after Rio and SAF called Ronaldo. Evra knew nothing "all along".

And we do know for sure, Rio said himself he spent the night talking to him. The man litteraly says he called Ronaldo because he didn't want him to join City and talked to him for hours into the night. It's not gossips, it's not reports from the newspapers, it's the words of a United legend. His words " Sir Alex Ferguson would've been the exact same. He would've hated to see Cristiano in a Man City shirt ", He had to tell Ronaldo " Every type of no, no, no in the conversation ". I mean come on guys, he was going to City and had to be reminded that you can't do that when you're a United icon, at one point you'll have to face the hard truth.
This sums it up

caid

I've suddenly decided i care about this argument for no particular reason and that Ronaldo is categorically, provably, obviously the better player. Voted

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Yes but then Rio also said Ronaldo to city were never on the cards :rolleyes: . He also said to people on his stream to give this stream 10k likes so he would call Ronaldo, then when 10k was reached it he said he needed 20k, when 20k was reached he said subscribe to the channel so when he called Ronaldo he will post the video there. So what Im saying is theres an inconsistency in what Rio said. But it was fun so theres that. The media hoping for him to join City and shit on United is their wishful thinking to create a drama out of it.

Also your good friends calling you to join their club SHOCKER. That means Ronaldo is shite and doesnt have devotion!!! Ultimately what really matters is the reality not the rumors or fans theory crafting. We have limited information and they sometimes contradict each other. It's the same way when he joined Madrid. There were sources that put their disbelief on it, including the fans. But they didn't matter, theory craft all you like but he ended spending his peak tearing the world of football apart as a Madrid player. I have lived with that reality so I'm grateful he decides to spend probably his last years on a high level football with us. What's people have been chirping about, me not give a feck, me see Ronaldo signing for United, me grateful, you understand or no?

Last edited:

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Yes but then Rio also said Ronaldo to city were never on the cards :rolleyes: . He also said to people on his stream to give this stream 10k likes so he would call Ronaldo, then when 10k was reached it he said he needed 20k, when 20k was reached he said subscribe to the channel so when he called Ronaldo he will post the video there. So what Im saying is theres an inconsistency in what Rio said. But it was fun so theres that. The media hoping for him to join City and shit on United is their wishful thinking to create a drama out of it.

Also your good friends calling you to join their club SHOCKER. That means Ronaldo is shite and doesnt have devotion!!! Ultimately what really matters is the reality not the rumors.
I like Rio but there’s something about him that does rub me the wrong way, think his ego might be too big he does seem to chat a lot of bs that doesn’t get called up on.

But i can’t lie I think he does actually speak to potential signings so there’s that. Just a bit of a bullshitter in general haha

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Ronaldo at 36 decided to go the toughest, most competitive league in the world at a team where he's not guaranteed to win anything.

Messi at 34 went to the 6th best league in Europe where hes guaranteed silverware

If Ronaldo wins United a league title that's the debate done IMO.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Ronaldo at 36 decided to go the toughest, most competitive league in the world at a team where he's not guaranteed to win anything.

Messi at 34 went to the 6th best league in Europe where hes guaranteed silverware

What if he doesn't win anything, and don't even score as many goals as people expect or Man Utd don't even reach semifinals? The teammates
he had at Real Madrid were better than what he has now at Man Utd, and they crashed too UCL sometimes and lost the league too, and he was younger
He is 36 now....

BerryBerryShrew

Call me old fashioned, but I'm going to judge the better player on who actually plays better. I hope for our sake that it will (somehow) be Ronaldo. But this notion of winning a trophy = better player needs to die. I'll continue to consider Harry Kane a world class player for as long as he is performing like a world class player regardless of how few trophies he wins.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What if he doesn't win anything, and don't even score as many goals as people expect or Man Utd don't even reach semifinals? The teammates
he had at Real Madrid were better than what he has now at Man Utd, and they crashed too UCL sometimes and lost the league too, and he was younger
He is 36 now....
Then there's still a debate. If he does all that, there's no debate, simples.
Call me old fashioned, but I'm going to judge the better player on who actually plays better. I hope for our sake that it will (somehow) be Ronaldo. But this notion of winning a trophy = better player needs to die. I'll continue to consider Harry Kane a world class player for as long as he is performing like a world class player regardless of how few trophies he wins.
I actually agree with this sentiment, but Ronaldo winning a euros with that Portugal squad, and winning a league title back with United would end the debate for me.

For me, one of the key reasons I consider him the goat is that in any game, big match or final, if you're 2-0 down, I'd want Ronaldo in my team ahead of Messi.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I like Rio but there’s something about him that does rub me the wrong way, think his ego might be too big he does seem to chat a lot of bs that doesn’t get called up on.

But i can’t lie I think he does actually speak to potential signings so there’s that. Just a bit of a bullshitter in general haha
He has a lot of direct contacts with players for sure! but yeah he was baiting people into subscribing to his channel as well. But still the information he put out was really good and for free! cant ask for more that that.

Status
Not open for further replies.