• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
There is a difference in how you get knocked out. It's one thing to lose by a slim margin. It's football, it happens. And there's another thing where you constantly get knocked out from a winning position. Shows a problem with mentality. If one thing separates GOATs from really good players, it's their ability to get shit done or to close the deal so to speak.
Ronaldo failed many many times in the clasicos to Messi’s barca

It’s another thing to constantly lose to far inferior teams who can’t even make the CL final.

having said that, Ronaldo is probably the greatest cl player ever

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Now do it again and include the number of games played :D

Puskas’s 84 goals in 85 games is by far the most impressive statistic on that list. Pele’s 77 in 92 is not bad either. 111 goals in 180 games? Gotta give credit for the longevity but the ratio is not exceptional.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Puskas’s 85 goals in 84 games is by far the most impressive statistic on that list. Pele’s 77 in 92 is not bad either. 111 goals in 180 games? Gotta give credit for the longevity but the ratio is not exceptional.
In his formative years, he didn’t score that many goals but he has exploded since then.

kc7

Yeah since 2016 he's scored 56 goals in 57 games for Portugal.
About half of them to Lithuania, Andorra, Faroe, Luxembourg, Latvia, Estonia, New Zealand.. He has 27 goals against those in 14 games since 2016 (on average two goals per game against those)..

Rojow

He will score a hattrick for us and our fans will come here calling him the best ever. It's obvious.

Red Stone

Yeah since 2016 he's scored 56 goals in 57 games for Portugal.
74 in 80 since 2013. If Pelé is impressive, then so is 28-36 year old Ronaldo. NasirTimothy has a history of inventing anti-Ronaldo goal posts, though, so I'm sure he'll find a new, equally ridiculous way to discredit Ronaldo's achievements.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Stuff like today.

Only player who shows up this way repeatedly on a consistent basis. He has that folklore about his legend.

His mentality truly sets him above every player to have ever played the game.

kc7

Puskas’s 84 goals in 85 games is by far the most impressive statistic on that list. Pele’s 77 in 92 is not bad either. 111 goals in 180 games? Gotta give credit for the longevity but the ratio is not exceptional.
Gerd Muller looks even more impressive, he scored 68 goals in 62 games & 14 goals in 13 World Cup games..

Inter Yer Nan

@Inter Yer Nan notice how all the replies to your post are all Messi fans affirming their man? Just like that, my point is proven...
Yeah, Messi fanboys are definitely more aggressive and emotional in their stance. It’s like anytime Ronaldo does something they’ve got to defend his honor for some reason. It’s really weird. Never knew players to have this level of fanboyism a decade or so ago. They have been the worst in football by far. I think they get so over-defensive because Ronaldo has legitimately had a more impressive career despite what they perceive their difference in skill sets is.

They are both great and the overall package as to who is better is a legitimate either way type discussion to a degree but to Messi fanboys the thought that a player who’s almost certainly a fellow top 4 or 5 player ever could conceivably be fit enough to be compared to them is inconceivable and causes them to shed tears and make stupid comments denigrating Ronaldo or saying he’s only ever scored penalties, can’t do anything but score etc;

kc7

It's this which annoys me, and the vast majority of people who say it are the Messi stans in my experience. The framing of a subjective opinion as an objective fact. For example, this:

It's probably the result of the sanctimonious "purist" element that the Dutch school generally tends to engender unfortunately. Kinda like Wenger's Arsenal in their heyday (before they discovered the delights of Stoke) on steroids.
compares a pure poacher with a Maradona type of talent (dribbling, creativity, playmaking etc.) with the goal scoring numbers of Muller/Ronaldo/Lewandowski, and calls Messi fans stans)

Ballon D'Or committee members, La Liga best player award committee members, WC best player award committee members, COPA committee members also all seem to be overly obsessed with Messi. Also, some of Ronaldo's own teammates, most managers, active players etc., there must be an ongoing conspiracy against Ronaldo..

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Yeah, Messi fanboys are definitely more aggressive and emotional in their stance. It’s like anytime Ronaldo does something they’ve got to defend his honor for some reason. It’s really weird. Never knew players to have this level of fanboyism a decade or so ago. They have been the worst in football by far. I think they get so over-defensive because Ronaldo has legitimately had a more impressive career despite what they perceive their difference in skill sets is.

They are both great and the overall package as to who is better is a legitimate either way type discussion to a degree but to Messi fanboys the thought that a player who’s almost certainly a fellow top 4 or 5 player ever could conceivably be fit enough to be compared to them is inconceivable and causes them to shed tears and make stupid comments denigrating Ronaldo or saying he’s only ever scored penalties, can’t do anything but score etc;
Agreed. I'm not even a massive Ronaldo fan considering what he's been alleged to have done.

However, for people to almost hold the idea that it's an insult for Messi to be compared to him is ridiculous. He is literally the one player whose track record of team and individual accomplishments compares favourably with Messi's. Is it really such a crime that the debate is there?

What I will say though, is that if Ronaldo somehow wins the CL with us in this second stint then his legendary status will be on another level to Messi's. He'll have a legit claim to have been the greatest ever player of not one, but two of the greatest clubs in the world. I don't think that has ever been done before. My personal theory is that the two sole reasons why he's rejoined us are:

1. To break Rooney's record (which will mean he's here for 4, potentially 5 seasons); &

2. To equal or surpass Messi's Ballon d'Or record.

For literally any other player I'd say this is fanciful, but for Ronaldo? He has a proven track record of defying convention.

Red Stone

"Pure poacher" is a massive disrespect to both Müller and Ronaldo. They both are so much more than that, and betrays the fact that the posters calling them that can't have seen either of them play much, or, more likely, are inventing put-downs to make Messi seem comparatively better.

Inzaghi and Chicharito are pure poachers. If you can't tell the difference between those guys and genuine God tier forwards like Müller and Ronaldo after watching them for even just a few minutes then you're beyond help.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

You need to have a bit of context when you do the comparison. Ronaldo was a winger during his younger formative years. And for majority of his career, he is a wing forward. He only moved to more CF position/role for Portugal when he is approaching his 30s. Those other all time greats strikers with amazing scoring rate were all CF throughout their career, in era of attacking football with little emphasis on defense, unlike the kind football we are playing these days.

Here’s the approx breakdown:

Ronaldo as winger (03-05)(formative years)
9 goals in 29 games (0.31)

Ronaldo as wing forward (06-15)
46 goals in 94 games (0.49)

Ronaldo as CF (since 16)
56 goals in 57 games (0.982)

Pukas as CF:
84 goals in 85 games (0.988)

Pele as CF:
77 goals in 92 games (0.83)

Messi as “wing forward”
76 goals in 151 games (0.50)

As you see, Ronaldo as WF (0.49) has similar rate as Messi as WF (0.50). Ronaldo as CF (0.982) has similar rate as Puskas as CF (0.988) where Puskas was in all out attack era.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

His story would be even more incredible if he brought a league title back to OT while playing a pivotal part and winning the PFA POTY at 37. It'd be gargantuan in terms of legacy.

MrEleson

You need to have a bit of context when you do the comparison. Ronaldo was a winger during his younger formative years. And for majority of his career, he is a wing forward. He only moved to more CF position/role for Portugal when he is approaching his 30s. Those other all time greats strikers with amazing scoring rate were all CF throughout their career, in era of attacking football with little emphasis on defense, unlike the kind football we are playing these days.

Ronaldo as CF (since 16)

Pukas as CF:

Pele as CF:

Messi as “wing forward”

As you see, Ronaldo as WF (0.49) has similar rate as Messi as WF (0.50). Ronaldo as CF (0.982) has similar rate as Puskas as CF (0.988) where Puskas was in all out attack era.
Not to mention the respective teams they played for. Pele played amongst some of the greatest players of all-time for Brazil. In fact, that 1970 Brazil side is widely regarded as the most star-studded international team in history. He even won a WC in ‘62 with himself barely featuring.

The very best Portugal side Ronaldo played with is leagues beneath any Brazil team Pele played with. Same thing could be argued for Puskas who played for Hungary during their one and only golden spell.

kc7

"Pure poacher" is a massive disrespect to both Müller and Ronaldo. They both are so much more than that, and betrays the fact that the posters calling them that can't have seen either of them play much, or, more likely, are inventing put-downs to make Messi seem comparatively better.

Inzaghi and Chicharito are pure poachers. If you can't tell the difference between those guys and genuine God tier forwards like Müller and Ronaldo after watching them for even just a few minutes then you're beyond help.
see below..

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...-the-builder-of-bayern_sto8491951/story.shtml

I recommend you go & watch Juve games & Ronaldo's goals, also go check his goals in this EC, by the way you can also go & watch Real games, the guy's contribution is very limited when he does not score. Do you know how many MOTM did Ronaldo get when he does not score? This should be a homework for you.. Even on Ronaldo thread in the main forum, people say until his goals, he was invisible today.. By the way, unlike you, I do not see any problems with players known for their poaching skills..

We do not need to make Messi seem better.. He is already better.. It is you trying to portray Ronaldo a greater player than he actually is.. Messi is a Maradona type of talent in terms of creativity, dribbling, playmaking scoring the same amount of goals as Ronaldo, Muller, Lewandowski.. Ronaldo cannot be compared to Messi as he lacks those technical skills, he is not even in the same league as Xavi, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Cruyff let alone Messi or Maradona in terms of technical abilities which is what made these guys among the greatest ever.. Ronaldo is more comparable to Lewandowski, Muller than Messi or Maradona though Messi has a similar or better goal per game ratio...

This is important. The only metric in the parallel universe of Ronaldo fans is the "total number of goals" not even goal per game ratio for obvious reasons..

To me, Ronaldo fans seem to be the ones disrespecting Gerd Muller's legacy acting as if they are not comparable when people start comparing him with Ronaldo .. Ronaldo is way more similar to Muller than he is to Messi.. If Muller was playing now, with the same trophies and goal records, you would call him GOAT as well (he is basically Lewandowski + international trophies + ultimate finals. big games player) as your only metric is goals which is laughable.. Yet, though Cruyff though scored less and won less, he was considered the best attacking player of the 1970s meaning football is more than goals, something Ronaldo fans seem to have hard time comprehending.. I call this the social media effect.

In the article I posted above, Beckenbauer was clearly considered the best player at Bayern, did you see that? . If we send Ronaldo fans back to 1970s, with the mindset they have now, they would probably riot against Cruyff or Beckenbauer calling Muller the real GOAT of the 70s though as their only metric in football is the total number of goals (not even the goal per game ratios, by the way, because there are better goal scorers when ratios are used)), and forget about playmaking, creativity, dribbling etc..

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
see below..

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...-the-builder-of-bayern_sto8491951/story.shtml

I recommend you go & watch Juve games & Ronaldo's goals, also go check his goals in this EC, by the way you can also go & watch Real games, the guy's contribution is very limited when he does not score. Do you know how many MOTM did Ronaldo get when he does not score? This should be a homework for you.. Even on Ronaldo thread in the main forum, people say until his goals, he was invisible today.. By the way, unlike you, I do not see any problems with players known for their poaching skills..

We do not need to make Messi seem better.. He is already better.. It is you trying to portray Ronaldo a greater player than he actually is.. Messi is a Maradona type of talent in terms of creativity, dribbling, playmaking scoring the same amount of goals as Ronaldo, Muller, Lewandowski.. Ronaldo cannot be compared to Messi as he lacks those technical skills, he is not even in the same league as Xavi, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Cruyff let alone Messi or Maradona in terms of technical abilities which is what made these guys among the greatest ever.. Ronaldo is more comparable to Lewandowski, Muller than Messi or Maradona though Messi has a similar or better goal per game ratio...

This is important. The only metric in the parallel universe of Ronaldo fans is the "total number of goals" not even goal per game ratio for obvious reasons..

To me, Ronaldo fans seem to be the ones disrespecting Gerd Muller's legacy acting as if they are not comparable when people start comparing him with Ronaldo .. Ronaldo is way more similar to Muller than he is to Messi.. If Muller was playing now, with the same trophies and goal records, you would call him GOAT as well (he is basically Lewandowski + international trophies + ultimate finals. big games player) as your only metric is goals which is laughable.. Yet, though Cruyff though scored less and won less, he was considered the best attacking player of the 1970s meaning football is more than goals, something Ronaldo fans seem to have hard time comprehending.. I call this the social media effect.

In the article I posted above, Beckenbauer was clearly considered the best player at Bayern, did you see that? . If we send Ronaldo fans back to 1970s, with the mindset they have now, they would probably riot against Cruyff or Beckenbauer calling Muller the real GOAT of the 70s though as their only metric in football is the total number of goals (not even the goal per game ratios, by the way, because there are better goal scorers when ratios are used)), and forget about playmaking, creativity, dribbling etc..
Yeh his contribution is very limited when he does not score, he only has 225 career assists (more than Zidane, Iniesta or Ronaldinho etc), and only does that this year at Juv at age 36, apart from goals:

What a poor contribution.

Last edited:

Red Stone

A poacher is a player that scores goals with his first touch through exceptional movement off the ball. Ronaldo does this to the point where he'd be the best poacher ever even without any of his other abilities, but over the course of his career he's proven that he can do so much more. His first seasons with Madrid were loaded with goals where he ran at defenders, dribbled and created opportunities for himself, or thundering long range strikes. During his time at United he was the heartbeat of our attack, both as a creator and a finisher.

He's 36 now, and will be the outfield player with the most official appearances ever before the end of the season. No footballer has ever squeezed as much out of themselves as he has, and yet there are people out there that still expect him to perform as if he was 26. It's obvious that he has to adapt his game and play to his strengths more now given his quite frankly insane mileage, which means he's gradually and constantly shifting towards being more of a poacher than the complete tour de force he used to be. The fact that he's still at the top of the game is as remarkable as it is ridiculous to categorise him as a poacher given the career he's had.

littleman

i voted for Messi and won’t change the vote

but we have the next best player after Messi now, this is huge, the discussion doesn’t matter because it’s no longer

do u tink Jennifer Aniston or Courtney Cox is hotter

abstract conversation.. it’s literally we HAVE Ronaldo again, it’s here, the GOAT convo is not as important as this season ahead

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agreed. I'm not even a massive Ronaldo fan considering what he's been alleged to have done.

However, for people to almost hold the idea that it's an insult for Messi to be compared to him is ridiculous. He is literally the one player whose track record of team and individual accomplishments compares favourably with Messi's. Is it really such a crime that the debate is there?

What I will say though, is that if Ronaldo somehow wins the CL with us in this second stint then his legendary status will be on another level to Messi's. He'll have a legit claim to have been the greatest ever player of not one, but two of the greatest clubs in the world. I don't think that has ever been done before. My personal theory is that the two sole reasons why he's rejoined us are:

1. To break Rooney's record (which will mean he's here for 4, potentially 5 seasons); &

2. To equal or surpass Messi's Ballon d'Or record.

For literally any other player I'd say this is fanciful, but for Ronaldo? He has a proven track record of defying convention.
I think they are equal as of current standing, but if Ronaldo does something crazy for us, for me he will be ahead.

Ronaldo vs Messi:

Ballon D’or: Messi 6 (7 if win this year) > Ronaldo 5
CL: Ronaldo 5 > Messi 3 (4 if include sub role)
International major trophies: Ronaldo 1 = Messi 1
Overall trophies count: Messi 36 > Ronaldo 32
Career goals: Ronaldo 785 > Messi 748
Career assists: Messi 315 > Ronaldo 225
International goals: Ronaldo 111 > Messi 74
Footballing: Messi > Ronaldo
Legacy: Ronaldo > Messi

Ronaldo 5 Messi 5

hkjack

Supports
Man City
Yeh his contribution is very limited when he does not score, he only has 225 career assists (more than Zidane, Iniesta or Ronaldinho etc), and only does that this year at Juv at age 36, apart from goals:

What a poor contribution.
Not really impessive when you compare it with other technical player...

kc7

I think they are equal as of current standing, but if Ronaldo does something crazy for us, for me he will be ahead.

Ronaldo vs Messi:

Ballon D’or: Messi 6 (7 if win this year) > Ronaldo 5
CL: Ronaldo 5 > Messi 3 (4 if include sub role)
International major trophies: Ronaldo 1 = Messi 1
Overall trophies count: Messi 36 > Ronaldo 32
Career goals: Ronaldo 785 > Messi 748
Career assists: Messi 315 > Ronaldo 225
International goals: Ronaldo 111 > Messi 74
Footballing: Messi > Ronaldo
Legacy: Ronaldo > Messi

Ronaldo 5 Messi 5
completed the rest for you)

Best player awards in international tournaments: Messi 3 (1 WC & 2 Copa) vs Ronaldo "0"
Best player award in La Liga: Messi 6 vs Ronaldo 1
Golden Boot: Messi 6 vs Ronaldo 4
Pichichi: Messi 8 - Ronaldo 3
Goals per game: Messi 0.8 vs Ronaldo 0.72
MOTM: Messi 290 vs Ronaldo 160
La Liga titles: Messi 6 vs Ronaldo 2
Copa Del Rey: Messi 7 vs Ronaldo 2
Creativity - Playmaking - Dribbling - Vision: Messi>>>>>>Ronaldo

Red Stone

Premier League titles: Ronaldo 3 vs Messi 0
Serie A titles: Ronaldo 2 vs Messi 0
Spending his golden years in a farmer's league: Ronaldo 0 vs Messi 1

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
completed the rest for you)

Best player awards in international tournaments: Messi 3 (1 WC & 2 Copa) vs Ronaldo "0"
Best player award in La Liga: Messi 6 vs Ronaldo 1
Golden Boot: Messi 6 vs Ronaldo 4
Pichichi: Messi 8 - Ronaldo 3
Goals per game: Messi 0.8 vs Ronaldo 0.72
MOTM: Messi 290 vs Ronaldo 160
La Liga titles: Messi 6 vs Ronaldo 2
Copa Del Rey: Messi 7 vs Ronaldo 2
Creativity - Playmaking - Dribbling - Vision: Messi>>>>>>Ronaldo
It’s meaningless to break it down that way, really, so small time and needless. Next do you want me to include attributes like heading, speed, movement, tricks, crossing, mentality, athleticism, determination too? Or you also want to include CL goals, CL assists, goals per game in La Liga, PL titles, Serie A titles, all time goals in major tournaments, total amount of records etc? It’s really meaningless and needless way to put it.

Individual honours - Messi
Goals - Ronaldo
Assists - Messi
Major trophies - Ronaldo
Total trophies count - Messi
International - Ronaldo
Footballing - Messi
Legacy - Ronaldo
Etc

Already pretty much cover up everything. Of course each area can be further break down into 10+ smaller pieces to back it up, but they are just the same thing.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Trying to "prove" either of these two players is bad via numbers is such a hopeless and embarrassing endeavor.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It really is possible to appreciate both of them. Edging towards one more than the other is absolutely fine as long it doesn't make you hate irrationnaly the other.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Ronaldo as CF (since 16)

Pukas as CF:

Pele as CF:

Messi as “wing forward”

You’re totally wrong. Pele and Puskas were never centre forwards. Pele was an attacking midfielder/second striker and Puskas was an inside left. Throughout their careers. So their scoring numbers are still more impressive than CR’s, even if you factor in his time on the wing, because they never ever became penalty box players like CR converted himself into.

This is what people don’t get about Pele and why he’s remarkable. He wasn’t a centre forward. Far from it. Most of the time during a game he’d be collecting the ball from the centre circle (or even deeper) and driving forward. Yet he still scored a thousand goals of every description.

In many ways Pele was like a combination of Messi and Ronaldo, because he had the footballing ability and IQ of the former and the two-footedness and athleticism of the latter.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You’re totally wrong. Pele and Puskas were never centre forwards. Pele was an attacking midfielder/second striker and Puskas was an inside left. Throughout their careers. So their scoring numbers are still more impressive than CR’s, even if you factor in his time on the wing, because they never ever became penalty box players like CR converted himself into.

This is what people don’t get about Pele and why he’s remarkable. He wasn’t a centre forward. Far from it. Most of the time during a game he’d be collecting the ball from the centre circle (or even deeper) and driving forward. Yet he still scored a thousand goals of every description.

In many ways Pele was like a combination of Messi and Ronaldo, because he had the footballing ability and IQ of the former and the two-footedness and athleticism of the latter.
Pelé " In his early career, he played in a variety of attacking positions. Although he usually operated inside the penalty area as a main striker or centre forward, his wide range of skills also allowed him to play in a more withdrawn role, as an inside forward or second striker, or out wide.[83][97][100] In his later career, he took on more of a deeper playmaking role behind the strikers, often functioning as an attacking midfielder"

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Premier League titles: Ronaldo 3 vs Messi 0
Serie A titles: Ronaldo 2 vs Messi 0
Spending his golden years in a farmer's league: Ronaldo 0 vs Messi 1
Stupid comparison. How about La Liga when they were both there?

Status
Not open for further replies.