• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
Although I am inclined towards Messi, this is a massively opportune/bias time to re-open the pole.
If there's anyone stupid enough to vote based on 1 match, then Im sure those same people will change their vote next time Ronaldo has another good one...

hkjack

Supports
Man City
And that’s the point. “Doing it in 3 leagues” is completely overblown
Agree ,liga is the top league in last decade by a large margin. Why messi need to prove himself in other league?
Serie a is not as good as its past.
premier league? Only one ballon d’or player played in PL in history and he wanted to leave.

RedCurry

The poll should never have been close to begin with. Messi was nearly 70-30 at one point
I do agree with that. But this isn’t the right time to re-open the poll though. Ronaldo just got eliminated from CL first time in 3 seasons and Messi just scored two against United’s biggest rivals. Of course the votes are going to be massively biased.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Hard to go against the stats, if what’s on t’internet is 100%

Messi 665 career goals. 30 trophies. 812 appearances.

Ronaldo 685 career goals. 24 trophies. 957 appearances.

Messi for me.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I do agree with that. But this isn’t the right time to re-open the poll though. Ronaldo just got eliminated from CL first time in 3 seasons and Messi just scored two against United’s biggest rivals. Of course the votes are going to be massively biased.
They were biased last year as well

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ive been saying this. Wont repeat my opinions on it again. You took all the words out my mouth.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Same. It's a genuinely weird opinion to have.

Ronnie is a stunning footballer but you need to really love him to even entertain the idea that he's as good as Messi.
I completely agree with you. You’d need an almost myopic, obsessive affection for Cristiano to believe he is as good as Messi. It doesn’t seem even remotely comprehensible that anyone impartial could ever hold that opinion. Ronaldo is, as you say, a stunning footballer whose career is a testament to what happens when incredible natural ability, prodigious physical gifts, almost sociopathic mental strength, and relentless hard work are married together over a consistent, extended period.

Messi on the other hand is virtually all of the above - minus the prodigious physical gifts - but with a breadth of skill and ability that makes him more than a ruthless machine, and instead a truly transcendent footballer that could be aptly described as a artist. A player that can truly do it all, and more than any other player in history - even Maradona - can truly do it by himself. Not a quality Ronaldo has ever had. Messi is one game away from being unequivocally regarded as the GOAT, which shows you how daft these answers can often be..... If Argentina win that game against Germany, one game - as fine as Higuaín not fluffing his chance - he’s matched the only thing people could ever use to argue against his status as GOAT.

kambinks

Weird time to reopen the polls. Ronaldo would've passed the 50% mark easily before the votes was locked.

Tostao_80

Oh Jesus This is why this thread is cancer. "he really hasn't" I can make a list for you. "comfortably" oh jeez.

"Typical Ronaldo/ American attitude" are you 5?
Dont worry about that Tucker fella. He's as dense as they come, and that says something on here. Just ignore his nonsense.

Withnail

600 in 803 aged 34 vs 611 in 703 aged 31

Aside from all the other guff and mental gymnastics going on, I can't see anything other than Messi making this argument completely redundant over the next few years, as Ronaldo's output decreases.

RochaRoja

In 10 years people will laugh that this was ever a comparison.

Messi will retire with more goals, more assists, more titles and more individual awards. What debate will there be then?

pacifictheme

Ronnie is amazing.

But I cant accept basing everything on a few games.

His club form pre xmas has been poor over the last few seasons. It cost Real domestically. For some reason this doesnt seem to be taken into consideration any more. It should be since the league is the bulk of a players football
I hear ya but in the last 4 seasons at real he had a better goals to games ratio than messi in the league. I'd also argue that fot real the focus is cl over league, which is a harder comptetition than la liga anyway, especially the knockouts.

The argument is futile though. Some seasons ronaldo has clearly been better, some seasons messi has.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I think that article is a bit harsh, as although people are saying stupid things, it was 2005, and Rooney was an established world-class player at that time, whereas Messi was a player with potential. In fact, I must say that I didn't even see him play, as far as I recall, until the 2007 Copa America final, and I didn't particularly notice him because Brazil won 3-0, and he was still a teenager. I didn't really watch Messi play regularly until the 2007-08 season, when he was playing up front with Henry and Eto'o, and that was the time when he really began to look like he would develop into a great player.

Silly and arrogant statements about the Premier League somehow being special, though, yet I still see them repeated today, even after it's been proven to be nonsense over and over again. I witnessed numerous pundits predicting that Liverpool would blow Barcelona away, and of course Spurs will beat Ajax, and it'll definitely be an all-English final. Not looking that way after the first-leg!

Tostao_80

Not that it matters in most people's eyes, because most people in general have Leo down as greater but if the following were to happen, what would Cristiano fans have left. If Leo wins the CL, he would be on 5 wins like Cristiano, if he wins the Copa he will have the same amount of international wins (his 4 other finals would then have him ahead), if he wins the Balon Dor, he would be up 6 to 5. He already has more league titles, already has many more titles overall, is rapidly catching him up in total goals (chances are he will overtake and eventually score more official goals than anyone in HISTORY).
What stats based argument will actually be left for Cristiano fans then? The CL goals record (Leo could even catch him there, he's only 12 to 14 goals behind).
I see Cal is still persisting with the more Balon Dor votes argument but that is of course futile.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Poll re-opened, just after Messi has a worldie against our biggest rivals. Kinda fecks the balance of the poll, innit.

CaptainAvengers

I'd say this poll is pretty conclusive, don't you? it isn't 52% 48% split like Brexit where the losing side can muster an argument

If Messi is winning by that much (60% currently) on a Manchester United forum (pro Ronaldo his core base) then can you imagine how much Messi is romping away on these polls on other serious football forums? must be like 80-90% surely!

The only reason it got to a 50/50 split in the first place is because people pitied Ronaldo losing so badly to Messi so gave him a sympathy vote to even things up.. nobody has ever doubted who the better player is, and if this poll was kept open it would probably be 70%/80% in Messi's favour by now over the course of the last year he's balling and completely dominating Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is on the decline, his goal output is nowhere near what it is was in Madrid.. so once he can't match Messi's goal output, the rest of his weaknesses in his game are exposed as inferior to Messi. He only was able to get close to Messi because of his scoring rate.. so to casual football watchers that made him equal but in the eyes of serious intelligent football folk, he was nowhere near.

Like we all said, take away both of their goals and judge on the naked eye their performances on who the better player is, there's no argument.

Like Donald Trump would say, game over! Messi is about to dominate for years folks where Ronaldo will go through a very painful, public decline as he struggles to accept he can no longer compete with The Greatest. Enjoy, folks! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

neilv93

Genuinely surprised the voting is so close. Messi all day, week, month, year, decade, century, history.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Totti / Giggs / Gerrard = True legends of their club! All time heroes! Deserving of a statue

Messi = Fecking coward never dared to move away from Barcelona

Logic = ?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Totti / Giggs / Gerrard = True legends of their club! All time heroes! Deserving of a statue

Messi = Fecking coward never dared to move away from Barcelona

Logic = ?
Don't think anyone considers Totti, Giggs etc all time great players.

Ofocurse Messi is a Barcelona legend just like the others are legends for their respective clubs.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not that it matters in most people's eyes, because most people in general have Leo down as greater but if the following were to happen, what would Cristiano fans have left. If Leo wins the CL, he would be on 5 wins like Cristiano, if he wins the Copa he will have the same amount of international wins (his 4 other finals would then have him ahead), if he wins the Balon Dor, he would be up 6 to 5. He already has more league titles, already has many more titles overall, is rapidly catching him up in total goals (chances are he will overtake and eventually score more official goals than anyone in HISTORY).
What stats based argument will actually be left for Cristiano fans then? The CL goals record (Leo could even catch him there, he's only 12 to 14 goals behind).
I see Cal is still persisting with the more Balon Dor votes argument but that is of course futile.
No we'll judge them by Onze d'or votes instead.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
I doubt the mods give a monkeys about Messi v Ronaldo to be honest and if they did and were closing and opening the poll to suit their narrative who in their right mind would get wound up over an online poll about two footballers.

messivronaldo.net has over 750k votes and has it 64%/36% and to my knowledge the poll is always open.

Both great players and will not be around for many more years so just enjoy them both while you can.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
For me Messi is the best player I've seen play.

It's also strange that Messi, Pelé and Maradona are all the same height which must help them with dribbling.

I really can't distinguish between the three for who is the greatest of all time because of different generations, but when Messi hangs up bit boots in terms of titles won and goals/assists you'd probably put him towards the top of the scale.

Ronaldo for me is in the same bracket as players like Cruyff, Beckenbauer absolute legends of the game, but it just feels like he's missing something, and watching him play he has adapted his game frequently, reinvented himself but with Messi I feel he has gotten better with age, Ronaldo I feel its the other way, he's traded a lot of his skills for just goals in recent years.

Both great players but different tiers completely.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Because people view football in different ways, you don’t have to understand why someone thinks something, or belittle them for it. I don’t have a problem with people preferring Messi, that’s their right. But some people prefer Ronaldo, I simply don’t understand why people can’t just accept that. Many people have differing opinions on the GOAT, is it Best, Pele, Maradona, Eusebio? Why does the Ronaldo/ Messi debate rattle so many people.

For me from what I have seen and heard, probably more for romantic reasons is that Best could be argued for the GOAT... does that mean he is, of course not, it’s simply my opinion.
Because they are extremists they will never accept someone having a different opinion.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't think anyone considers Totti, Giggs etc all time great players.

Ofocurse Messi is a Barcelona legend just like the others are legends for their respective clubs.
Not all time greats, but if anything, staying at only 1 club for their entire career increased their stock rather than diminished it. Whereas with Messi, it's somehow used as an argument against him.

Whether Messi would be a success at another club or not is completely irrelevant to this debate as he will simply never try and we will never know. It's the same as saying, well I bet Ronaldo wouldn't be able to fit in at Barcelona.

Also, what is this Onze d'or I keep reading about here. Obviously, I've googled it. Honestly, excluding the overwhelming French players bias, it doesn't seem all that inaccurate..

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not all time greats, but if anything, staying at only 1 club for their entire career increased their stock rather than diminished it. Whereas with Messi, it's somehow used as an argument against him.

Whether Messi would be a success at another club or not is completely irrelevant to this debate as he will simply never try and we will never know. It's the same as saying, well I bet Ronaldo wouldn't be able to fit in at Barcelona.

Also, what is this Onze d'or I keep reading about here.
Maybe so, but the fact he never actually did, we will never be able to verify it. The main criticism I've seen of Messi is that he suffers if he plays outside certain conditions, this argument imo has weight.

In an all time debate playing in different leagues and testing yourself in different conditions is a fair barometer.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Im in the messi camp myself, but I don't see the problem in seeing them as more or less equally great players with different styles of play. Messi is certainly greater with the ball and his playmaking abilities as well as goal scoring makes him incredible, but Ronaldo also has great ability, is a monster goal scorer and is a Atheltiic beast who is pacy, strong and monster header of the ball. It depends on what kind of team you are playing. Messi key-tailored for Barcelona while Ronaldo is perfect for counter attacking teams and provide a huge aerial threat on top of the rest of his game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe so, but the fact he never actually did, we will never be able to verify it. The main criticism I've seen of Messi is that he suffers if he plays outside certain conditions, this argument imo has weight.

In an all time debate playing in different leagues and testing yourself in different conditions is a fair barometer.
It's not completely irrelevant, but I think the arguments in favor of him probably tearing up other leagues as well outweigh the arguments against that quite dramatically. Still, it's speculative at best.

As for their international careers, neither has been that special for their national teams honestly. Judged solely on that, neither would even be a top 10 player in the world. Messi winning the player of the tournament in 2014 stunk and Portugal were fecking shite in 2016. Neither can't hold a candle to what Robben has done for us ;)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I don't know. He hasn't hit the heights with Argentina as he has with Barca, but he's still their alltime top goalscorer and has taken them to a lot of finals.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don't know. He hasn't hit the heights with Argentina as he has with Barca, but he's still their alltime top goalscorer and has taken them to a lot of finals.
The difference is with Argentina at the major levels is you need other players to score goals, and at the major level you have Di Maria and Higuain who routinely make the wrong decisions. There's no leader left in that team now Mascherano is gone too.

in Euro 2016 I'd have to say that Portugal was one of the worst teams in the tournament from watching them but they scraped through, and it was Eder with just a hopeful strike that won them the competition, it wasn't like Maradona levels dragging them through the tournament.

It's unfair on both Ronaldo and Messi to say about international titles.

Ronaldo relies completely on service and there's no real creative outlets in the Portugal team.
Messi drops deeper to play the creative role for Argentina but the players around him routinely squander chances in big moments, if Messi was in the generation with someone like Crespo they most likely would have won a world cup by now.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not just Argentina, after 15 he wasn't doing what he was normally doing either, he disappeared in some massive games.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's not completely irrelevant, but I think the arguments in favor of him probably tearing up other leagues as well outweigh the arguments against that quite dramatically. Still, it's speculative at best.

As for their international careers, neither has been that special for their national teams honestly. Judged solely on that, neither would even be a top 10 player in the world. Messi winning the player of the tournament in 2014 stunk and Portugal were fecking shite in 2016. Neither can't hold a candle to what Robben has done for us ;)
Messi was rubbish in the last world cup and 2014 I actually thought Robben or Schweinsteiger deserved the player of the tournament. He was ok but wasn't the best player.

While we always look at tournament wins etc, while I acknowledge in terms of overall footballing skills Messi is better, in terms of mentality, leadership, pressure resistance and standing up when you need someone Ronaldo wins (unlike Messi extremists I'm happy for you to disagree, everyone values different attributes differently) , and for me this is the most valuable thing in football. It can make the difference at the highest level.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Messi was rubbish in the last world cup and 2014 I actually thought Robben or Schweinsteiger deserved the player of the tournament. He was ok but wasn't the best player.

While we always look at tournament wins etc, while I acknowledge in terms of overall footballing skills Messi is better, in terms of mentality, leadership, pressure resistance and standing up when you need someone Ronaldo wins (unlike Messi extremists I'm happy for you to disagree, everyone values different attributes differently) , and for me this is the most valuable thing in football. It can make the difference at the highest level.
In these aspects, Ronaldo is in a completely different league than Messi. That's also the reason why I think this is a valid debate. It's, as you say, the metrics you value. It's fine to say that even in Ronaldo's CL treble years, you think Messi is still more gifted, and therefore, a better player. But it's also perfectly valid to say, who gives a feck about talent if the other guy won three CL's.
For me there is no question that Ronaldo has a more impressive career than Messi. Not only because he's done it at a lot of different clubs, but also because he's done it mostly on character (and obviously still a shiteload of talent).

So yes, we agree. Now I'm sure the universe will implode, being unable to cope with agreement in this thread.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So you're just going to argue in terms of hypothetical? :lol:

We'll see what he gets up to in the Copa, based on history he'll end up crying and quitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.