Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Zico Vs Pele is nowhere the level as Messi Vs Ronaldo though.

Statistics tell you Messi is more effective than Ronaldo, the debate Pro-Ronaldo for so long has been he's better in the air and he's done it in another country. Now it's that Eder has won the European cup for Portugal.

When you have to give credit to Ronaldo for something Eder did there's something wrong but that's football. Ronaldo would have had to have pulled some memorable performances to put his name up there in the Euros vs big opposition, almost a Maradona vs England performance but he didn't.

I've not seen something that Ronaldo has done that makes me go "Oh my god" in maybe 6 years now.

I don't feel the same excitement with Ronaldo and looking at numbers, performances and statistics too, Ronaldo isn't doing anything that Messi isn't.

The only number Ronaldo is ahead on is goals, but when you compare the areas the players occupy, their touch maps in a game it's obvious Messi is a playmaker more these days not a finisher but because with Xavi leaving its now Messi who has to do this role.

Filling Xavis role is never easy, but Messi is doing it to a very high standard, probably a better long passer than he was. but Ronaldo with age is now a more central striker who doesn't dribble and is there for goals, could Messi do what Ronaldo is doing? Yes, and he could do it better because he's a much better dribbler than Ronaldo is.
Then you simply haven't seen enough of Ronaldo. This is besides the point of who is better.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
sorry meant I haven't*. "Turning games around" goes to Ronaldo.
In what context sorry? can you give me examples besides Hungary because that's the most recent one that I think you're going to use as your prime example.

Then you simply haven't seen enough of Ronaldo. This is besides the point of who is better.
I've watched every performance of Ronaldo since he was a united player.

I pretty much exclusively watch United, Real Madrid and Barcelona (I watch every few Atletico games too).

shamans

In what context sorry? can you give me examples besides Hungary because that's the most recent one that I think you're going to use as your prime example.
Can't think of any specific one's right now. I'm at work. I can definitely dig some up. Many Madrid games, portugal games and even games for Man united.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
He's better than Ronaldo with the ball, of that there is no doubt. But then again Zico was better with the ball than Pele, was he a better player? football like all sports is all about being effective, not who's the most talented. If not, then we all have to bow down at Best's feet and admit he's the greatest to have ever done it.
He wasn't, lol.

Look, I've lost counts of how many times I was cheering against Madrid the last 3 years in big games, and I was glad when Ronaldo had the ball, but nervous when Modric, Bale, Marcelo etc had the ball

The dude simply didn't perform in almost any big game in the last years. Messi is better than him just by watching them play, everyone sees this btw. I don't care if Ronaldo scores more against Osasuña and Shalke

Zoo

They really are pathetic over there. On both sides.

RooneyLegend

He wasn't, lol.

Look, I've lost counts of how many times I was cheering against Madrid the last 3 years in big games, and I was glad when Ronaldo had the ball, but nervous when Modric, Bale, Marcelo etc had the ball

The dude simply didn't perform in almost any big game in the last years. Messi is better than him just by watching them play, everyone sees this btw. I don't care if Ronaldo scores more against Osasuña and Shalke
He really was. Zico was incredible with the ball at his feet. Capable of pieces of skill you wouldn't see too much of from Pele. Pele was better cause of how effective he was, a genius of the final third. A player that makes the right decision all the time and a devastating passer and shooter.

Yet in most big games, he's the one they rely on to make the difference. He's their premier mach winner and that's been the case ever since he joined Madrid as he was here too. The guy doesn't have the ability to make something out of nothing, but that's not the only way to win your team the match. With his variety of ways to score that he has added to his finishing, he's almost the complete scorer. Lest we forget, scoring is an extremely important part of football.

Doesn't he have the most goals in CL semi final history? Isn't he one of the highest scorers in classico history? How come he doesn't do much in big games but he still puts it in the back of the net?

The guy gets it done. He's a premier match winner, one of the greatest to do that. There's a shocking stat where messi hasn't affected the score line in every tie that barca has been knocked out in...this despite playing in the most souped up club side probably ever. So he himself, doesn't always pitch in the big games.

Messi is better than Ronaldo in some peoples eyes, and the same for the other side. No one IMO wins the international football argument. Both of them have been disappointing on that stage. I'd go as far as saying that, had they not been disappointing on that stage, there wouldn't be too many arguments against them being the greatest to have ever done it. Portugal winning doesn't change that but modern day football lovers equate team titles to individuals as though this is some one man organization.

mancan92

He wasn't, lol.

Or scores the winner against you.......

shamans

He wasn't, lol.

Maybe you should change that sentiment then given how he he's been toying with Barca as of late.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Maybe you should change that sentiment then given how he he's been toying with Barca as of late.
Have you got those examples now of what games Ronaldo has changed completely? and you mean one Barca game in about 8 right?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He really was. Zico was incredible with the ball at his feet. Capable of pieces of skill you wouldn't see too much of from Pele. Pele was better cause of how effective he was, a genius of the final third. A player that makes the right decision all the time and a devastating passer and shooter.
Pele was also incredible with his ball at his feet and was a truly two-footed sublime dribbler, with a stunning repertoire of tricks at his disposal. He brought much more to the table, than just his sheer productivity alone in the final third. Also whilst I do agree that Zico had the creative edge on the ball, there really isn't much of a difference when we are talking about their dribbling or their skill-level, technique etc.

Think all the credit should go to Zagallo rather than Pele. Pele was just tasked with playing in his best position with the some of the best players around in their own positions and it turned into one of the finest expressions of the game. Its like crediting Messi instead of Pep for how Barca work with their stars being spread around the pitch in great positions.
I wouldn't quite put it was like that and there is a reason why that side is referred to as the "team of the five #10s". There were quite distinct positional and role overlaps with some of the players (Pelé, Gérson, Tostão and Rivelino in particular) and it was their tactical malleability, fairly selfless nature, willingness to adopt sacrificial/foil roles - esp the latter two in this regard - and crucially Pelé all-round game which allowed that attack to function fluidly without any major complications or hiccups.

Inverting The Pyramid said:
In fact, Zagallo was faced with only two significant selection decisions. By the time he arrived (a year prior to the tournament after Saldanha was sacked), Pelé said, 'the team was more or less chosen but there were a few changes to be made'. Zagallo brought in Roberto Rivelino from Corinthians and confirmed the importance of Cruzerio's Tostão. When critics suggested they were too similar to Gérson and Pelé, Zagallo replied, 'What this team needs is great players, players who are intelligent. Let's go with that and see where it takes us.'

But what then? Could Pelé and Tostão play together? Tostão was not a typical centre-forward,' said historian Ivan Soter. 'He was a ponta da lanca like Pelé. So he would drop off and Pelé would become the centre-forward. It was very fluid'.

That still left two major issues: who to play on the left, and where to fit Rivellino. He was another who favoured the ponta da lanca role, and there were question marks over his fitness. Two problems became one solution, as Rivellino was stationed vaguely on the left, although he often drifted infield, asked to provide some sort of balancing counterweight to Jairzinho's surges and encouraged to unleash his left foot whenever possible. Was it 4-4-2, was it 4-3-3, was it 4-2-4, was it even 4-5-1? It was all of them and none of them: it was just players on a pitch who complemented each other perfectly
So whilst Zagallo deserves a lot of credit for having the audacity to field all those stars in a single side, he shouldn't really get the lion's share of the plaudits for making it work tactically - it was more due to the players' tactical malleability and understanding, as opposed to managerial genius ala Guardiola/Michels etc.

And Pelé definitely played a prime role in all that as a 'facilitating glue' of sorts in that top-heavy Brazilian side. He wasn't exactly the prime playmaking influence (Gérson, Rivellino and C.Alberto were more influential in this regard) but his all-round game was right at the fore, with ability to drop deep and aid his side with his link-up play, lay-offs, one-twos etc, and of course his renowned game inside the box as a focal point - not just goalscoring wise but creatively too, with his incisive passing and also his fellow forwards constantly feeding off him. You don't have to look much farther than his display in the WC final - his phenomenal headed goal over the tough catenaccio defense of Italy, his finely-weighted header for an onrushing Jairzinho for the third goal and of course his legendary and intuitive lay-off for the famed Carlos Alberto's goal, illustrate the multi-faceted tactical role that Pelé executed in that Brazil side. It shouldn't come as a surprise that he managed to finish with 4 goals but also with 5 assists in that tournament, with many of em arising from instinctive lay-offs and shrewd positional inter-changing play etc.

Last edited:

sammyvine

Mourinho thinks top 3 players of all time are Messk, Pele and Maradonna
Left out Ronaldo

This just proves managers have agenda's and you should take their opinion with a pinch of salt.....such as when Cal? and others use Fergie's opinion as a reason to justify Ronaldo being better.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Mourinho thinks top 3 players of all time are Messk, Pele and Maradonna
Left out Ronaldo

This just proves managers have agenda's and you should take their opinion with a pinch of salt.....such as when Cal? and others use Fergie's opinion as a reason to justify Ronaldo being better.
Didn't he also have a dig t Ronaldo a few years back by referring to the Brazilian Ronaldo as the 'real' one?

If people actually believe SAf, Pep and Mourinho can be impartial in this debate needs their heads checked, they are going to be biased.

sammyvine

Didn't he also have a dig t Ronaldo a few years back by referring to the Brazilian Ronaldo as the 'real' one?

If people actually believe SAf, Pep and Mourinho can be impartial in this debate needs their heads checked, they are going to be biased.
At one point he said Messi wasn't in Ronaldo's league.
He seems to have flip flopped...probably because they have fallen out

Culero

Ferguson said something really embarrasing about Ronaldo being able to score a hattrick against some average English team but Messi effectively can't because he has only experienced Barcelona's football.

Mourinho still means what he said to be honest, we all know Ronaldo needs his ego massaged and Jose was never gonna say Messi is better than him when he was his manager. In fact Mourinho claimed European football as a whole will change in dynamics as soon as Messi retires or leaves Barcelona, such is his influence.

IFC 1905

These stats talk is stupid. You use it when your talking about players who are nearly identical in skill, like : Maradona vs Messi, etc

You just look at Messi with the ball and he's just simply better than Ronaldo, its not a matter of stats. 99% of the world agrees with this, lets just move on.

You can't argue Maradona vs Messi with stats too LOL

It's just clear as day that Ronaldo is a superb player, an incredible player and a legend. ButMessi is a genius, maybe the best player of all time and way more coplete.

Cristiano has to be thankful asF to Higuain, otherwise we all would be talking about something else.

Deleted member 101472

Cristiano is unlucky to be playing in the same era as Messi. Ronaldo is a very good player, but Messi is even better.

Henrik Larsson

being one of only two players to have played with both of these players at club level , I'm putting his opinion as one that matters most .

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Leo has to pull a rabbit out of the hat tomorrow or else the Ballon d'Or stays in Madrid.

Jaybomb

Ronaldo is better. He is a more complete player when it comes to scoring goals.

Nero

Leo has to pull a rabbit out of the hat tomorrow or else the Ballon d'Or stays in Madrid.
Shows how ridiculous the award is. Madrid win CL means Ronaldo wins Balon d'Or, despite the fact he hasn't been close to being the world's best player this season.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Shows how ridiculous the award is. Madrid win CL means Ronaldo wins Balon d'Or, despite the fact he hasn't been close to being the world's best player this season.
Neither has Messi, every time I've seen him he's been sulking and moody and done nothing in matches.

Ronaldo is better than Messi still.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Indeed. He's a long way from what he once was as a player.

WhoDaGOAT

Neither has Messi, every time I've seen him he's been sulking and moody and done nothing in matches.

Ronaldo is better than Messi still.
Nah mate, that's just wrong.

Messi has scored 45 goals this season. Ronaldo is on 31 goals as of tonight. 5 goals against Bayern doesn't change that.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ronaldo is better. He is a more complete player when it comes to scoring goals.
When it comes to goals, yes.

When it comes to overall play, Messi is clearly more complete.

Ronaldo's the better goalscorer. Messi is the better player.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This thread... :nervous:

Are there still people out there who deny what's becoming increasingly obvious now?

Ronaldo is the better player

Cal?

CR7 fan

Messi has scored 45 goals this season. Ronaldo is on 31 goals as of tonight. 5 goals against Bayern doesn't change that.
Funny how the Messi fans were all in denial about the goal scoring in the last 3 seasons when Ronaldo scored more.

Suddenly this one season it's the goals that matter. :smirk:

padr81

Supports
Man City
This thread... :nervous:

Are there still people out there who deny what's becoming increasingly obvious now?

Ronaldo is the better player
Lethal from 6 yards offside he is.

Eddy_JukeZ

Funny how the Messi fans were all in denial about the goal scoring in the last 3 seasons when Ronaldo scored more.

It's never been about goals to me.

I watch them play and I come to the conclusion that Messi is simply a better footballer.

There's nothing Ronaldo could do to change my mind.

Rossa

When Ronaldo scores more than Messi, his contributions are downplayed as mere stats whereas Messi influences matches more. Ronaldo now scored 5 goals against Bayern, basically winning them the leg and contributed greatly to his team. Messi was partly at fault for that embarrassing first leg against PSG where he played so bad one would not think he was a professional footballer - great second leg though. Both players have had to adapt lately, but it will be interesting to see who does it best.

Ronaldo had a bit of a draught earlier this season. He's not scoring quite as many as he used to, but he is adapting to a new position, so having 31 goals is pretty remarkable considering.

WhoDaGOAT

Well, is Ronaldo playing well in general play?

If all he has is goals in him now, and Messi is still outscoring him (despite not being the focal point of his attack), then how is there even a debate right now?

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's never been about goals to me.

I watch them play and I come to the conclusion that Messi is simply a better footballer.

There's nothing Ronaldo could do to change my mind.
You're entitled to your opinion, and I can respect (even though I strongly disagree) with that.

Go back a few pages and you can find the annoying Messi fans thinking their opinion are FACHTS.

Rossa

Lethal from 6 yards offside he is.
Brilliant post - absolutely brilliant. I suppose no other great player has ever scored an offside goal? Sure, it was an obvious one when you freeze the image, but Alaba came running in behind him in a split second, so it must have been difficult to see for the linesman. Great finishing and chest control.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He plays on the left, he plays on the righ ahah

That boy Ronaldo, makes Messi look shite!

Status
Not open for further replies.