MGMT

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Are they any good?

Are they big Yet?

In your opinion - What style of music do they play ?

I like their stuff, Kids and Electric Feel. But Know feck all about them and rather then read online wanted the pulse of Redcafe to educate me.

Cheers -

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
They make a more girly, soft electro-style of tune, which is rather catchy it has to be said.

Though it's not something I could hear too often because it's a bit arsty-fartsy for my liking and would inevitably make me want to hurt someone.

It's oficially called 'Electropop/Synth Pop' by the way.

busbysaces

Going to see them in leeds in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know if they're any good live.

bazalini

Would not say their music is Girly......

I had a DJ in last night and played two of their songs and its the first time in ages I have seen a cool vibe run throughout my club.... Whether he got his set right or MGMT just have a pulse on the vibe at present - who knows...

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
If you guys like MGMT, I suggest you give PNAU a listen.

They make the same types of tunes but are simply better.

etc

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
It is, though they're more electro which, I'm assuming, is the sticking point here.

bazalini

in my opinion they are like a modern psychedelic version of the cure -

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm a big fan of theirs, seen them at oxegen and I'm going back to see them in Dublin next month.

Pieces of What, Kids, Time to Pretend and Electric Feel are all pretty decent songs.

Don't think they're popular at all though.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I'm going to see them live at the carling academy in Birmingham next month. Looking forward to it; Kids, Time to Pretend, Weekend Wars and Electric Feels are pretty good to listen to. And I listen to more of their tracks than all the other new bands coming out now.

bazalini

Kids Class song - Released oon the 13th of October and has done little. No video as yet, but this guy put this together using 2 of the actors in Electric Feel. - An excellent Video... Would be excellent if this was the official Video

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I'm going to see them live at the carling academy in Birmingham next month. Looking forward to it; Kids, Time to Pretend, Weekend Wars and Electric Feels are pretty good to listen to. And I listen to more of their tracks than all the other new bands coming out now.
They were really good live except when they were faffing about with solos. The Youth is also a pretty decent song as well

busbysaces

Went to see these last week. Very very boring for large proportions of the gig. Scruffy feckers as well. No crowd interaction. Their encore plus 'electric feel' were the only highlights.

Wouldnt recommend them as a live act. I still love the album though.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Good shout cesc.
Cheers,

I absolutely dig that first tune there ('Embrace'). Also, check out 'Empire of the Sun' if you were into the PNAU tunes, it's the same dude but he's collaborating with a singer from another band (who's name slips me). It's a bit more MGMT style.

The thing with their sets too is that they put on magnificent light shows.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
These are one of those bands that have aged really well imo in terms of the quality of music they still make.

Anyone listened to their new album Loss Of Life?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Two of the best thread repliers. I am honoured.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I listened to it as I enjoyed Nothing To Declare, wasn't all that impressed unfortunately.

However, it did lead me down an MGMT live performance rabbit hole and there are some bangers:

The last two minutes...non-stop chills.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I haven’t heard any of their new stuff since 2008/9 I saw them at Oxygen back then. The last of the really great lineups. They weren't a great live band but they had the tunes to pull it off. This tune was always my favourite off their big album.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The first album is so nostalgic for me. Great period in my life and saw them at festivals around that time. In fact I’m in the BBC video for their John Peel stage performance completely off my tits.

I found subsequent albums a little boring if I’m honest. This new one sounds like a Tame Impala tribute band

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The first album is so nostalgic for me. Great period in my life and saw them at festivals around that time. In fact I’m in the BBC video for their John Peel stage performance completely off my tits.

I found subsequent albums a little boring if I’m honest. This new one sounds like a Tame Impala tribute band
Yeah I think they take a few listens even if you like it but it won't be for some. They've definitely pivoted to more of an 80s Pet Shop Boys/Talking Heads/Depeche Mode/synth pop vibe which I kind of dig.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
They had a decent song featured in skins. Haven't heard any of their stuff since and I just presumed they suck. Does anyone know is this @Solius bloke has decent music taste?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They had a decent song featured in skins. Haven't heard any of their stuff since and I just presumed they suck. Does anyone know is this @Solius bloke has decent music taste?
That kind of stuff is way different really. It's electric pop that suited the time but hasn't aged amazingly. They have more of a low key 80s vibe now.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Yep. I feel the same way about Vampire Weekend too, which is another thread that got bumped recently. MGMT will sort of forever be tarnished with a Skins vibe. Just that era.

Edit: I didn't know they had a song featured in Skins as @P-Ro just mentioned :lol: