Micah Richards - The Pundit

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'd describe Micah Richards as a cherry. On Sky Sports where you have entertaining pundits like Neville, Carragher, Sourness and Keane he makes the show even better by providing some quite humourous interjections. He's the cherry on the top of the cake there.

Contrast this with his MOTD appearances where he's paired with the boring Shearer or the even duller Jenas with an alright (but arrogant) host Lineker he's just a cherry sitting on top of a pot noodle. Doesn't make it better, doesn't make it worse. He needs a stellar cast to really shine and feed off. When he doesn't have one he's average at best. Kind of like Jorginho but that's probably not for this thread.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Even by the very low bar pundits are judged, he's tragic at analysis. I'm amazed that more isn't made of it, he's basically incompetent at the core aspects of his job but is appreciated cos he has chemistry with the others and has "an infectious laugh" (I find his laugh incredibly annoying). It's weird that I dislike him so much, I've really tried to listen to him over and over, and tried to "get it", but I just don't. As I've said before, just feels like it's this trend of glorifying mediocrity.

Of former City "legends", Nedum Onuoha is so much better. He doesn't laugh every 15 seconds or as soon as he's meant to contribute in a meaningful way, but he's super articulate and interesting. I feel he deserves more exposure (or maybe he has big exposure, and I don't realise it?)
I think the best way to explain it, is whenever I’ve seen him on non sky things he’s been fine. His punditry I agree is shocking. (Called the CWC Mickey Mouse which no pundit should do) His segments on CBS and other little things are fun watches.

There was a time where I similarly couldn’t stand him. I guess a lot of it depends on how seriously you take things. For me as I’ve gotten older I’ve become more selective about the things I watch, I’ll do my best to avoid pre match stuff and I’ll only watch post match if I know it’ll be interesting. I’ve learned that cutting things out that bother you is a skill in itself.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
The point about Onuha is good. Micah is good fun if you ignore his city biases when doing their stuff. But he’s never had an insightful bit of analysis ever. Man has laughed his way to the top.

Chairman Steve

Isn’t he basically doing what Ian Wright did in the 2000s and being the laughy, jokey pundit?

I feel like British TV companies always have the token serious Scot/Northerner, the esteemed recently retired ex player and then the court jester as their standard lineup.

flameinthesun

I think he's great at what he does which is provide good entertainment. Regarding his analytical skills I think its clear he's not there for that. 99% of the pundits on these shows just give their perspective from a footballers view, to expect them to give deep tactical analysis when most of them have been told what to do and how to do it for most of their career is unrealistic. Also Sky isnt really looking for deep analysis despite how much we the fans may want it. I do like how he sticks up for footballers like Pogba etc which is nice and he is more in touch with what the younger players are dealing with (social media etc) which I think is important as the likes of sounesss etc are out of touch with that generation. As an example you'd probably see contrasting views about pogbas dancing etc from souness and micah

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Keane of the last few months has been comedy gold, just non stop taking the piss. Basically everything he says these days he does it with a wry little smile or gives little looks to Neville when mocking Souness. His dry sense of humour is brilliant and perfectly Irish.

People who talk shit about what he says clearly don’t understand dry wit.
Agree. Also, honestly it was really goofy from Richards to brag about himself when Neville and Keane were sitting right next to him. I don't know what Richards thinks he's won but he was never good enough to be even compared to Keane level

Last edited:

arnie_ni

Agree. Also, honestly it was really goofy from James to brag about himself when Neville and Keane were sitting right next to him. I don't know what James thinks he's won but he was never good enough to be even compared to Keane level
Whos James?

mctrials23

The point about Onuha is good. Micah is good fun if you ignore his city biases when doing their stuff. But he’s never had an insightful bit of analysis ever. Man has laughed his way to the top.
He 100% has but lets be fair, most of the other pundits aren't really that much better. The football world makes little sense after players careers are over. For some reason we think that just because someone was a good footballer that they will be a good pundit or a good manager etc. Very different skills required for both careers.

Micah at least lightens the mood.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd describe Micah Richards as a cherry. On Sky Sports where you have entertaining pundits like Neville, Carragher, Sourness and Keane he makes the show even better by providing some quite humourous interjections. He's the cherry on the top of the cake there.

Contrast this with his MOTD appearances where he's paired with the boring Shearer or the even duller Jenas with an alright (but arrogant) host Lineker he's just a cherry sitting on top of a pot noodle. Doesn't make it better, doesn't make it worse. He needs a stellar cast to really shine and feed off. When he doesn't have one he's average at best. Kind of like Jorginho but that's probably not for this thread.
Isn’t he basically doing what Ian Wright did in the 2000s and being the laughy, jokey pundit?

I feel like British TV companies always have the token serious Scot/Northerner, the esteemed recently retired ex player and then the court jester as their standard lineup.
Those familiar with Hip-Hop terminology will understand this - he’s a ‘Hype Man’…

He’s Flavor Flav to Neville / Carras Chuck D.

For those less rap savvy, think of it as this - he’s Bez to Keane’s Shaun Ryder.

Gawge

To be honest, given a large percentage of pundits seem to have zero analysis (other than saying 'passion/drive/get to the ball first') and appear bored/miserable, having someone who is at least enjoying themselves is good.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
To be honest, given a large percentage of pundits seem to have zero analysis (other than saying 'passion/drive/get to the ball first') and appear bored/miserable, having someone who is at least enjoying themselves is good.
Fair point

Billy Bullcrap

Supports
Wrexham
I like Micah, most pundits seem to have gigantic egos but Micah seems a good down to earth person.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
surprised keane didn't punch him. There's a time for humour and that wasn't it.

Bocca9978

Keane should go after him.
Zero point on him being a pundit. Adds nothing.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I think he's great at what he does which is provide good entertainment. Regarding his analytical skills I think its clear he's not there for that. 99% of the pundits on these shows just give their perspective from a footballers view, to expect them to give deep tactical analysis when most of them have been told what to do and how to do it for most of their career is unrealistic. Also Sky isnt really looking for deep analysis despite how much we the fans may want it. I do like how he sticks up for footballers like Pogba etc which is nice and he is more in touch with what the younger players are dealing with (social media etc) which I think is important as the likes of sounesss etc are out of touch with that generation. As an example you'd probably see contrasting views about pogbas dancing etc from souness and micah
That by itself makes him better than 90% of the clowns on Sky

Ludens the Red

What’s he going on about here? Ranting about hiring an interim manager.

As if an interim manager is this new unheard of thing.

Muppet.

Red00012

Looking back up at the embarassing comments saying he’s a good pundit feck me . Keane gives a damning verdict on Utd and he bursts out laughing . What an absolute clown of a pundit . Offers feck all insight only a stupid fecking laugh to cover his lack of intelligence. Bellend

arnie_ni

What’s he going on about here? Ranting about hiring an interim manager.

As if an interim manager is this new unheard of thing.

Muppet.
He got lost but he had a point. I think he was trying to say If RR and united shite the bed and don't make top 4 how will he have any credibility during his 2 year consultancy period?

It was a fair enough question which I'd actually have liked to have heard nevilles thoughts on but then he just lost it and went on a rant

Woodzy

He got lost but he had a point. I think he was trying to say If RR and united shite the bed and don't make top 4 how will he have any credibility during his 2 year consultancy period?

It was a fair enough question which I'd actually have liked to have heard nevilles thoughts on but then he just lost it and went on a rant
Gary summed it up nicely in that Ranick is not here to be judged on his coaching ability. He’s literally here to find out about this squad and the club as a man on the inside and the use that to plan for the longer term.

Bringing in someone like Conte does nothing for us long term, just like with Mourinho.

Jacko21

Micah has had an axe to grind ever since Rangnick arrived. Every time I've heard him discuss Rangnick on TV or Radio he has used the opportunity to undermine the appointment.

Some pundits took immediate exception to Rangnick arriving in England because of the whole 'football professor' sentiment.

He's never been a good pundit, but the bar isn't that high. He rarely articulates himself very well - particularly when he's asked a question that he hasn't prepared for.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Came across with a real inferiority complex. Which punditry wise probably isn’t far from the truth.

miked99

He's just a bit thick, isn't he? You can't act like he did on live TV as a pundit, having a massive meltdown because someone doesn't agree with your oh-so important opinion. It's embarrassing. You could see the look on the hosts face. Not the first time he's acted like this either.

And laughing at Keane when he's making serious, passionate points. Just like a schoolchild.

Josh 76

Just seen the post match chat.
All I can say is..
What a prick!

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
He’s inarticulate and not remotely insightful. He’s mildly amusing, but that’s it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I like him but I think he just got annoyed that the entire post match analysis was Man Utd and what Keane and Neville had to input. He just threw his toys out the pram.