Micah Richards - The Pundit

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
How did this guy even become a pundit? It's like they took out a semi stoned college boy out of his dorm and put him in the studio. His constant fake laughing outbursts remind you of those frat parties where some stoner laughs at his own fart joke and when it comes to serious debate he brings nothing to the table.
Ex-Footballer

Dante

Average bang
Sky Sports are in the entertainment business, and Micah Richards is box office entertainment. Love seeing him on TV.

Not every pundit needs to be insightful. It's okay if they just state the obvious in order to encourage further debate.

Dominos

Gary summed it up nicely in that Ranick is not here to be judged on his coaching ability. He’s literally here to find out about this squad and the club as a man on the inside and the use that to plan for the longer term.

Bringing in someone like Conte does nothing for us long term, just like with Mourinho.
If you offered United board an interim manager who would guarantee us top 4, or Rangnick who would miss out on top 4 but would "find out about the squad", then I'm pretty sure they'd have taken the former. Missing out on CL football sets us back years.

The issue was simply the United board didn't know who was most likely to get us top 4 out of the potential interims they interviewed, no one garauntees success on the pitch. Rangnick most likely came across best out of those they spoke to, and he had the added bonus that he could help the club off the pitch beyond this season.

But make no mistake, the interim manager was brought in primarily to rescue the season and meet the bare minimum targets (CL qualification). The narrative that the United board weren't arsed about this season and were happy to finish mid-table under Ralf because it would help us long-term strikes me as nonsense. They wanted the best of both worlds, Ralf to rescue the season and provide off the pitch expertise on top of that. Unfortunately it's not worked out in terms of results.

Now, I'm not even criticising the club, the decision on who to appoint was spinning the roulette wheel and hoping for the best. There was at least some logic to appointing Ralf, it's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight we should have gone with someone else. Maybe on paper Valverde could have been the most logical choice, but it was reported that he only wanted the job permanently.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If you offered United board an interim manager who would guarantee us top 4, or Rangnick who would miss out on top 4 but would "find out about the squad", then I'm pretty sure they'd have taken the former. Missing out on CL football sets us back years.

The issue was simply the United board didn't know who was most likely to get us top 4 out of the potential interims they interviewed, no one garauntees success on the pitch. Rangnick most likely came across best out of those they spoke to, and he had the added bonus that he could help the club off the pitch beyond this season.

But make no mistake, the interim manager was brought in primarily to rescue the season and meet the bare minimum targets (CL qualification). The narrative that the United board weren't arsed about this season and were happy to finish mid-table under Ralf because it would help us long-term strikes me as nonsense. They wanted the best of both worlds, Ralf to rescue the season and provide off the pitch expertise on top of that. Unfortunately it's not worked out in terms of results.

Now, I'm not even criticising the club, the decision on who to appoint was spinning the roulette wheel and hoping for the best. There was at least some logic to appointing Ralf, it's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight we should have gone with someone else. Maybe on paper Valverde could have been the most logical choice, but it was reported that he only wanted the job permanently.
It doesnt.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s basically been cast in the Eddie Murphy role, and a lot of black people celebrate it as representation and great for diversity. There are plenty of black footballers who have played the game to a high level that can probably offer more insight than Richards. I’m not even sure the rest of the panel care much about his views.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Guffawing idiot who's presence is merely a box ticking exercise.
Garbage comment. You can dislike his punditry without this nonsense insinuation?

He’s basically been cast in the Eddie Murphy role, and a lot of black people celebrate it as representation and great for diversity. There are plenty of black footballers who have played the game to a high level that can probably offer more insight than Richards. I’m not even sure the rest of the panel care much about his views.
There have been other black Sky pundits so this too is a pretty shit take. Most likely he's entertaining and has a net positive effect on ratings. Not every pundit needs to be analytical. Bunch of weirdos bringing his race into this.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Garbage comment. You can dislike his punditry without this nonsense insinuation?

There have been other black Sky pundits so this too is a pretty shit take. Most likely he's entertaining and has a net positive effect on ratings. Not every pundit needs to be analytical. Bunch of weirdos bringing his race into this.
Nobody said there hasn’t been other black pundits. I’m saying he has been cast as a court jester, it’s a bit of a cliché role similar to the black guys they used to put in Hollywood films in the 80s and 90s to add token ‘oh hell naw’s’ and ‘Got damn! soundbites.

In relation to race, I speak because a lot of black people identify with Micah Richards due to him being black, and he is regularly referenced as a positive appointment. Which is sort of true, but if he’s just been put there to provide ‘oh hell naw’s’ then personally, I don’t see it as something to be celebrated in the same way others do. He’s not there for his footy views.

I get similar annoyance regarding John Barnes. The man is one of the greatest footballers this country has ever produced, and I’m sure knows a thing or two about football, yet every time a camera is on him, all they seem to want is for him to ‘do your rap’. And he fecking gives in to it every time and it irritates me. I do wish he’d just say ‘nah I don’t feel like rapping thank you, but we can talk about football’ just once.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Without going into the race thing (I have no interest nor opinion on the matter), I find this to be very surprising - he is asked to provide analysis, he is not there as some sort of buffoon to amuse the panel or the crowd. It's actually a key component of his job, for which he's paid, and where he intervenes across a variety of shows.

What you're basically saying is that it's ok for him to be shit at his job, because he... laughs loud?

I mean I've said right since the start that he was terrible (I checked my 1st post in here which was in December 2020), and nothing until now has made me change my mind, but there's ways of being good at that job which don't require to be a Jonathan Wilson type geek. As others have said, he's just fortunate to be a former City player in an era where City are dominant, and where they don't happen to have any British former players of any kind of interest. Had he spent his career at a club like Villa or Burnley, he'd never get the kind of exposure he has now.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why did he burst out laughing after Keane’s scathing but accurate rant about United giving up, not putting in the effort, etc? What was so funny about it? Is Micah happy to just be the Show Clown? Perhaps he should take a peek at Keano’s trophy cabinet and compare it to his, the smug tosser.

Acole9

Outstanding
The lack of understanding not just from Richards but generally over Rangnick's role is just bizarre. The clue is in the title "Interim manager". He's not going to be the permanent manager, he's there purely as a stop gap because most managers don't want to take over during the season. Chelsea have done it a couple of times as well previously, it's nothing new.

Billy Bullcrap

Supports
Wrexham
Micah is a good pundit in the same way that Robbie Savage is. You wouldn’t trust either to organise a 5 a side game but they create talking points.

Gawge

The lack of understanding not just from Richards but generally over Rangnick's role is just bizarre. The clue is in the title "Interim manager". He's not going to be the permanent manager, he's there purely as a stop gap because most managers don't want to take over during the season. Chelsea have done it a couple of times as well previously, it's nothing new.
Yeah, that was frustrating, felt very 'TalkSport' just picking a 'proper football' position and not budging.

I said earlier, at least Richards broadly seems to be having a good time, whilst many other pundits are both completely lacking analysis and are miserable whilst doing so.

Quite frankly I think former player 'insight' is over-rated. People like Redknapp, Keane and certainly Souness basically played a different game at this point, I don't think their experience is inherently valuable to analysing a game any more (not saying they don't have something to offer, I just don't think it should be the only factor in choosing pundits). I would personally rather at least someone who deeply understood (and is able to articulate) what current coaches are trying to do, regardless of whether they played at an elite level, or at all.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Why did he burst out laughing after Keane’s scathing but accurate rant about United giving up, not putting in the effort, etc? What was so funny about it? Is Micah happy to just be the Show Clown? Perhaps he should take a peek at Keano’s trophy cabinet and compare it to his, the smug tosser.
I understand it. For him, as an ex-City player, I'm sure he found it hysterical. If you're an ex-City player and you see Keane suffering, having watched our boys toss it off, I get why you'd be reveling in it.

This I didn't understand. Also, he was going on about Conte like Spurs have been spectacular since Conte went in there. As if this dressing room would respond to Conte's methods. We saw, from how the players sacked it off at 3-1, that this team wouldn't be dying for each other like Conte demands. Why even bring him up?

crossy1686

career ending
To be fair to him, he tried to say he completely agreed with Keane but his go to response when things are tense is to laugh like a fecking clown. Him and Keane are great to watch when it's neutral but you can't put them together when City and United play each other.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Is this a serious post? :lol:

Hammondo

I was getting to annoyed at him ranting at Gary. Was just spouting out nonsense but because he was louder he thought he was making good points.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The kind of guy you wouldn't be able to get far enough away from if you ended up chatting in a pub

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I understand it. For him, as an ex-City player, I'm sure he found it hysterical. If you're an ex-City player and you see Keane suffering, having watched our boys toss it off, I get why you'd be reveling in it.
I mean... He's not down the pub with his mates. He's tragically unprofessional, this just highlighted it even more. I'd feel the same if one of our ex players acted in that manner on live TV after battering Liverpool or City (though I'm not taking much risks here, that's as unlikely as Micah developping brain cells).

FrantikChicken

I was getting to annoyed at him ranting at Gary. Was just spouting out nonsense but because he was louder he thought he was making good points.
This is what annoyed me the most. People that just yell during a conversation are trying to dominate with their volume rather than their actual argument. It's a really immature way of communicating.

Chairman Steve

Of course he’s a diversity pick.

…Because there aren’t that many ex-Man City players around to represent them in the media, in a sea of ex-Utd and ex-Liverpool pundits.

Duh :)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Of course he’s a diversity pick.

…Because there aren’t that many ex-Man City players around to represent them in the media, in a sea of ex-Utd and ex-Liverpool pundits.

Duh :)
Funnily, one of the other channels had Yaya Toure on analysis yesterday, with Scholes and Mowen.

I guess Sky know what they're doing - and it's largely for the bantz.

yipthatman

He’s a rubbish pundit who has stumbled upon a formula that works for TV.

Incredibly lucky that he came onto the scene during City’s dominance so he basically just gets to sit there and laugh every game because it usually goes exactly how he wants it. Never had to do any in depth analysis and just sits there looking all smug before and after games as if he’s part of it.
I thought he burst on to the scene Solius.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Because he's a fecking idiot.

tomaldinho1

That is literally Sky Sports to a tee these days. ‘Heated’ debates and ‘Shocking’ revelations, there’s really not that much to talk about in football (United have been poor for a while, City are a great team, it kind of went as expected yesterday in all honesty) so they have to fill the airtime with ‘entertainment’. Genuinely how many times has Keane done that exact same ‘rant’ since he joined or Gary been ‘worried’ about things.

Brophs

The One and Only
But this has been borne out: it’s what people (albeit not me) want. The #bantermatez thing has largely replaced punditry and analysis. It seems madness to me that you’d ever have an employee of a club -other than an ex player - doing analysis of one of their games. It can only lead to this sort of one-eyed, guffawing gobshite routine. But I suppose that’s from my perception of seeing an interesting conversation as being more important than seeing two middle aged men banter each other off.

And with all of that said, Roy Keane can’t have any complaints. He’s right at the heart of it.

Hammondo

That is literally Sky Sports to a tee these days. ‘Heated’ debates and ‘Shocking’ revelations, there’s really not that much to talk about in football (United have been poor for a while, City are a great team, it kind of went as expected yesterday in all honesty) so they have to fill the airtime with ‘entertainment’. Genuinely how many times has Keane done that exact same ‘rant’ since he joined or Gary been ‘worried’ about things.
I was very happy with how Gary reacted to it, kept calm, didn't raise his voice, and highlighted the stupid shouting.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White

As much as I hate to admit it, he does tick a lot of boxes. Black, Ex footballer and probably Man City's only homegrown in media. He's not particularly knowledgeable or analytical but he rarely has any polarizing takes, is somewhat jovial, in shape so looks good in a suit, hence palatable to the masses. Think if you remove black box that he ticks, he still gets on TV

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
At least he's authentic, the same goes for Keane's cliché tough guy boomer act.

Whereas Neville is just an unbearable pseudo-(football)intellectual, who talks out of his rear end as much as anyone on these panels, but tries to pass it as if he's some analytical voice of reason, to the point of trying to put down Richards in quite a condescending fashion.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The type of guy you'd block from your WhatsApp group for posting 200 emojis and never saying anything worth listening to.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At least he's authentic, the same goes for Keane's cliché tough guy boomer act.

Whereas Neville is just an unbearable pseudo-(football)intellectual, who talks out of his rear end as much as anyone on these panels, but tries to pass it as if he's some analytical voice of reason, to the point of trying to put down Richards in quite a condescending fashion.
You didn’t even need the ‘football’ in brackets as you were right the first time, it isn’t even limited to football. Left to Gary Neville, he would be running the entire country and his pseudo-intelligence spans multiple topics. And I agree that he often talks a lot of crap. Something is always making him ‘uncomfortable’ or ‘worried’ too, and he’s extremely hyperbolic and sensational, while packaging it as the most reasoned view ever.

Carragher is the best on that team I think.