Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
This England squad has nothing to do with form, clearly. Smalling's in it, and he is coming off the back of a total clownshoe performance. He's not really done anything this season anyway. Tyler Blackett is probably more worthy of a place, if he has to pick a United defender.

Has Ricky Lambert even scored a goal this season? Has Lallana done anything?

Andros Townsend is garbage. I was starting to forget that Theo Walcott even existed.

England squads are pretty grim these days.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why Carrick still plays for England? Has been treated like shit from a few managers but he still continues answering their calls. He might be their best player during the qualification stage, but then on Euro 2016 Woy will return from retirement Gerrard/Lampard and play him instead of Carrick.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why Carrick still plays for England? Has been treated like shit from a few managers but he still continues answering their calls. He might be their best player during the qualification stage, but then on Euro 2016 Woy will return from retirement Gerrard/Lampard and play him instead of Carrick.
Gerrard will still manage to get on the plane even if he has only one leg.

SirAF

Ageist
I wouldn't mind seeing Carrick at CB at this stage. What we need is consistency and experience.

Kag

If Hodgson is going to play with the diamond in an effort to play all of Rooney, Sturridge and Sterling in their best positions then he needs a player that can play in front of the defence and distribute the ball.

Carrick is still the best in the country at doing this and I think Roy realises this. Not taking Carrick to Rio was a mistake, irrespective of his poor form last season. The country has nothing like him and it's a shame.

ZDwyr

Was shocked to see him (and Walcott) get back into the squad so quickly. I guess any minutes Carrick plays now is good for us to get his sharpness up.

Sylar

Carrick picked. Walcott picked. Three left backs picked. Chambers will continue to play RB over Clyne.

Joke.

Anyway, Carrick did well as CB next to McNair I thought. Very calm, good forward passes, good reading of the game. Can see it working.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I dont think he should play CB tomorrow. I'd rather give the rookies a go. He's coming back from a long term injury and I dont think its fair to ask that of him.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Who of our CBs is fit? Is McNair up and running again? If not we hardly have any other option than playing Carrick as a CB, do we?
Our fit and available CB's are McNair, Blackett and Thorpe.

10 league appearances between them. A sad state of affairs...

starman

Didn't he retire after missing out on 2010 WC or 2012 Euros? only to come back and miss out on 2014 WC. Why would he want to play for England again??

To think how under used Carrick and Scholes have been, two players who would be celebrated if they played for technically astute countries, yet are shunned by England.

Bwuk

Doubt Carrick will even play. Don't know why Hodgson called him up.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Only reason I can imagine is because they feel bad for leaving him out and he needs some rhythm. LvG made him play with the reservers which was new form him, he might think it´s better to train with an England squad than with Ando, Pereira and McNair at Carrington.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Doubt Carrick will even play. Don't know why Hodgson called him up.
He doesn't have many disciplined midfielders at his disposal. Can't think of a calm head who could play for England in the centre.

That doesn't mean I think Carrick will play, but it's obvious why he's straight in the squad now he's fit.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
He doesn't have many disciplined midfielders at his disposal. Can't think of a calm head who could play for England in the centre.

That doesn't mean I think Carrick will play, but it's obvious why he's straight in the squad now he's fit.
I think he'll play......very late but i think Hodgson has realised that he needs Carrick for his diamond system

Man Utd 1:0 Crystal Palace

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I've missed him. Easily our best player in the first half, altough that's not saying much, but still, he was off for almost half a year.

binary bot
van Persie must be delighted he's back, we've lacked that pass into him and Carrick seems to find him at every opportunity.

Reassuring performance from Carrick.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Good performance considering this was his first full game in a long time. Looking forward to the game where he partners Blind in the midfield.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was typical Carrick performance today. Calm, composed, and controlled the game from deep. We've got no one else in our team who plays those penetrative passes through the middle of the park that takes out like 4/5 of the opposition player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Class today, we've really missed him this season. His added height, muscle and composure in midfield, not to mention his brilliant and incisive passing. Think an energetic midfielder like herrera would be great next to him too.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Half a page after a very good performance in his first league game since last May? Wow.

He's an excellent passer and will get better. Just in time for the xmas season fixtures.

SoCross

Glad he's back! Will be a key figure for us for the remainder of the season and did very well on his return. Love those first time passes to feet.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He and Shaw were far and away our best players (with a passing nod to McNair) - the fact that we dropped off so dramatically in midfield as soon as he had to go back to centre-back was quite telling I thought.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He and Shaw were far and away our best players (with a passing nod to McNair) - the fact that we dropped off so dramatically in midfield as soon as he had to go back to centre-back was quite telling I thought.
Agree, if he plays it has to be in midfield he's wasted in defence, which means Blind will have to be dropped or accommodated elsewhere .

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Agree, if he plays it has to be in midfield he's wasted in defence, which means Blind will have to be dropped or accommodated elsewhere .
Why exactly? Blind is the better player. Controlling a game is all well and good but it isnt exactly impressive when the opposition have no intention whatsoever of getting out of their own half. He's a good backup to Daley or a player to bring on to kill a tight game off.

Roboc7

Glad to see him back, he did well when he came against City and put in good performance on Saturday second only to Shaw who was the best player on the pitch. Think he will keep his place against Arsenal so be interesting to see how we line up in midfield if by some miracle we actually have some centre halves available at that time.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Why exactly? Blind is the better player. Controlling a game is all well and good but it isnt exactly impressive when the opposition have no intention whatsoever of getting out of their own half. He's a good backup to Daley or a player to bring on to kill a tight game off.
Carrick is a better CM than Blind, Blind keeps it nice and tidy and i do rate him but imo Carrick offers more in that position. With his passing he could be our Pirlo (obviously not as good as him).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I like Blind a lot - he's been very good for us so far, and could well be my favourite of the signings we've made... but he's done nothing so far to show he's as good as Carrick was 2 seasons ago... so if Carrick can get back to that level (and I don't see why he can't) then he should be our starting option.

Also, your description for controlling a game is exactly what Blind is good at. He's nowhere near as incisive as an on-form Carrick is.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I like Blind a lot - he's been very good for us so far, and could well be my favourite of the signings we've made... but he's done nothing so far to show he's as good as Carrick was 2 seasons ago... so if Carrick can get back to that level (and I don't see why he can't) then he should be our starting option.

Also, your description for controlling a game is exactly what Blind is good at. He's nowhere near as incisive as an on-form Carrick is.
Sorry should have clarified a bit better. I was talking specifically about Saturdays game. I'm saying whoever played in that position would have had an easy ride controlling the game, I don't think we can take anything away from that performance in terms of the deeplying midfielder to be honest, for me the praise is a little over the top.

RedStarUnited

Something happened in the summer of 2012, ever since the beginning of that season he started playing really incisive passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.