6.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NessunDorma

I've seen him play much worse at centre back in 11 Vs 11s. Creditable performance given the circumstances.

caid

I think LVG might just make him our main CB considering that he needs CBs who are good on the ball and can pass from the back. He was great and our main CBs should be watching and learning.

Class act.
Thats the thing, we can make use of him on the ball, it'd be great to have on the pitch.
Im not entirely convinced by him as a cb defensively (its a cliche but im not convinced hes up to the physical side, his positioning is pretty good)
but none of our cb's are good enough defensively to make much of an argument to play them ahead of him really.
Not in their current form.
Anyway, they're injured or suspended regardless so it'll be interesting to see how it goes (if he plays cb).

He could make part of a good defence if you had the right players around him imo.
A Vidic like cb who's a bit more imposing and ... well tall for a start.

Deleted member 78215

Got a new formation:

McNair - Carrick - Rojo
Rafael - Shaw
Blind
Di Maria - Herrera
Rooney
Falcao
Like Bayern's formation at the moment. Carrick is kinda a half-CB, half-CDM like Alonso, dictating play. Rafael and Shaw provide width and Blind sits in when they do so, allowing a back line of Blind - McNair - Carrick - Rojo, if needs be.

Note: this is not a 5-3-2.

Ace of Spades

Thats the thing, we can make use of him on the ball, it'd be great to have on the pitch.
Im not entirely convinced by him as a cb defensively (its a cliche but im not convinced hes up to the physical side, his positioning is pretty good)
but none of our cb's are good enough defensively to make much of an argument to play them ahead of him really.
Not in their current form.
Anyway, they're injured or suspended regardless so it'll be interesting to see how it goes (if he plays cb).

He could make part of a good defence if you had the right players around him imo.
A Vidic like cb who's a bit more imposing and ... well tall for a start.
I think a ball playing CB is a must the way we are trying to play. We are looking to build play from the back, but our other CBs usually just pass to the player besides them and don't take the responsibility to bring the ball forward, or panic the moment some pressure is applied and punt it up the field.

I think we will improve a lot in our overall play, even if the trade off for that is that Carrick is not as good defensively as the others. Besides we are already bad defensively overall as it is, so might as well improve our build up play from the back.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looked great when he came on. Passing and calmness on the ball was something we've really been missing. Will be a huge boost to have him back again.

thejtrain

Shame he had to come back under such circumstances. Glad to have him back though, he could still do a job.

Rossa

Brilliant player, he really is. Not even sure that he's lacking that much physically either. He seemed to have Jovetic in his pocket on a run, and Jovetic is hardly sluggish. Also, he's pretty tall and good in the air.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Said it many times in the past year & got my arse torn for saying it, but Carrick could be a top-class CB for us - if we sort out our mid-field & bring him into that position. I already rate him higher than anyone at the club at CB & he's rarely injured!

Its a no-brainer for me - Carrick at CB for the rest of his career at United..

Hed Zitin

I don't think he'll bring anything much that Blind hasn't. Even when he had carried our CM on his back I have always felt we could do better than him.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He can definitely be an option at CB, especially as he ages. Probably not against top opposition, but in most games he's good enough defensively with the added ability to bring the ball out and distribute from the back.

That said I'd also like to see us with a base of Blind and Carrick in CM - it would give us such a strong foundation and control over the game, and allow for the front four to do what they do.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He can definitely be an option at CB, especially as he ages. Probably not against top opposition, but in most games he's good enough defensively with the added ability to bring the ball out and distribute from the back.

That said I'd also like to see us with a base of Blind and Carrick in CM - it would give us such a strong foundation and control over the game, and allow for the front four to do what they do.
Top opposition like City, for example?

I've been waiting for Van Gaal to make one of thise positional swaps he's famous for. Not the most exciting idea but Carrick the CB makes a lot of sense for our new 'philosophy '. Can see him getting a run of games now. Quite nice to not be massively dependent on him in midfield. When did that last happen?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Top opposition like City, for example?

I've been waiting for Van Gaal to make one of thise positional swaps he's famous for. Not the most exciting idea but Carrick the CB makes a lot of sense for our new 'philosophy '. Can see him getting a run of games now. Quite nice to not be massively dependent on him in midfield. When did that last happen?
Yeah you've got me there, but I'd still feel a bit uncomfortable going into a game with him up against a really physical or quick striker in a top side. Is he going to hold his own competing in the air from set pieces against Chelsea's giants? Is he quick enough to recover if we play with a high line and has to chase down a lightning fast striker facing his own goal?

I might just be nit-picking but it does concern me. Certainly for most games though I think he has the ability not just to fill in at CB but to potentially make himself first choice in the position. It would be a great move from LVG - I also liked that he had the balls to put Rooney into a deeper position when required after Moyes last season had Rooney and Van Persie so high up the pitch regardless of opposition.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah you've got me there, but I'd still feel a bit uncomfortable going into a game with him up against a really physical or quick striker in a top side. Is he going to hold his own competing in the air from set pieces against Chelsea's giants? Is he quick enough to recover if we play with a high line and has to chase down a lightning fast striker facing his own goal?

I might just be nit-picking but it does concern me. Certainly for most games though I think he has the ability not just to fill in at CB but to potentially make himself first choice in the position. It would be a great move from LVG - I also liked that he had the balls to put Rooney into a deeper position when required after Moyes last season had Rooney and Van Persie so high up the pitch regardless of opposition.
I know what you mean. It makes me a wee bit uneasy thinking of him up against really powerful, athletic strikers. Mind you all our other CBs make me uneasy for various reasons so that's no reason not to give it a go!

At the end of the day, he's got an extremely intelligent approach to defending. Which can go a long way.

Blue always red

That ball he played out the back when 2 players were hounding was absolutely sublime. Glad to have Carrick back and I hope he returns to his 12/13 form.

Dante

Average bang
Carrick is as hench as anyone in the squad so I don't see his strength, or lack thereof, as a concern. He also reads the game better than anyone else at the club. I think he'd be the perfect foil for an athletic defensive partner like Smalling, Jones or Rojo. He could be the Rio to their Vidic. Watching Rojo try to be the last man today was painful.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Carrick is as hench as anyone in the squad so I don't see his strength, or lack thereof, as a concern. He also reads the game better than anyone else at the club. I think he'd be the perfect foil for an athletic defensive partner like Smalling, Jones or Rojo. He could be the Rio to their Vidic. Watching Rojo try to be the last man today was painful.
I think it's more aggression he lacks. You don't see him going in for a crunching tackle, or brave head first defending. He is the modern defender in terms of reading and intercepting very well. In England I think you need both.

Dante

Average bang
I think it's more aggression he lacks. You don't see him going in for a crunching tackle, or brave head first defending. He is the modern defender in terms of reading and intercepting very well. In England I think you need both.
I'd agree. We've lacked a commanding reader of the game back there for a while. Playing a combination of any of our other CBs is the reason there have been so many gaps in the defence and failed offside traps, imo. They're just too rash.

caid

I think you need a bit of both everywhere to be fair and i dont think its a lack of muscle or height or whatever that would have me worried about the physical side of his game.
Its more a mentality thing imo.
I've heard him and others like alonso say in interviews if you need to make a tackle then you screwed up or words to that effect
and i largely agree but i think he has the balance off a bit really.
Hes just TOO reluctant to make a tackle and sometimes when he just needs to put the boot in and stop an attack he'll back off and continue covering passing angles the attacker has no real intention of using (hes going to go through carrick instead).

Alonso can and will stick the boot in when needed, always felt that was carricks weakness and the thing that made him very good instead of great.

FromTheBench

Problem with him at Cb have been his instincts and getting bullied by physical and fast players who are rough. For example Fellaini demolished him a few times.

caid

Problem with him at Cb have been his instincts and getting bullied by physical and fast players who are rough. For example Fellaini demolished him a few times.
I think he has a lot to offer in the role - a calm head, very good on the ball, tidy. Think he could be very good at organising the defence too but ...
Your asking a hell of a lot of whoever you put next to him.
Like they need to able to deal with the drogba's, carrolls and costas as well as the likes of sanchez and sterling.

Rafael and Blind not being a particularly imposing physical presence around him wouldn't help either.

I'd still give it a go though.

ZDwyr

Where do people see him fitting in if LvG plans to play him in midfield? Does he displace Blind? On the bench? I find it hard to justify that Blind should be dropped but maybe that is what will happen.

Superpolfcb

I'm quite certain that he'll play a lot as a CB, even when our other CB's are fit for once.

That's not because he's the perfect CB, but just because he has the quality to bring the ball out of defence. Something our other central defenders struggle to do.
We've got phenomenal talent in attack, but even for world-class players, it's difficult to break down a side defending deep in their own half. One of our biggest problems is that teams can often counter and commit players forward, because they know if one of our CB's recovers the ball, they'll have enough time to get back into position. With Carrick at the back we'd lose some physicality but at least there'd be a composed player, with the quality to bring the ball out of the defensive area. Would bring a massive difference to our attacking game.

Just look at the Sturridge-Suarez partnership last year. They excelled not only because of their quality on the ball, but mainly because Liverpool's system and swift transition meant they often only had to deal with one or 2 defenders each, instead of a wall of 10, standing around their own box.
We don't have that pace in the team, but good passing can replace that.

In games against taller strikers the manager could even opt to have him alternate with Fellaini during the game, depending on the situation.

Adebesi

I cant see Blind being dropped, personally. So I would guess Carrick's main opportunities will come starting next to him - it will be interesting to see what that looks like hopefully in the near future - or in defence. His experience and composure could be invaluable there until we strengthen.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I would play Carrick and Blind.

We have missed Carrick I think.

Short term he might be needed at the back though...

Trizy

Blind has being excellent for me and deserves a starting spot but if Carrick can come in and do a better job I'm all for improving our squad no matter who's effected by it. Blind is young so if Carrick does displace him, he will eventually replace him either way.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So Carrick has been called into the England squad having playing about 45mins of football this season for United. I'm a little peeved at Whoy for this. He better not get injured!

saivet

So Carrick has been called into the England squad having playing about 45mins of football this season for United. I'm a little peeved at Whoy for this. He better not get injured!
He could do with some minutes and if Roy sticks with the diamond then he's ideal for the holding role. However it is quite something that him and Walcott make the England squad despite only just coming back from long term injuries.

Clas Sified

He's in the squad?? Bloody hell, where did Roy get this grand idea from?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So he's gone from not being good enough to get in the England squad, to being good enough to get in the England squad, by literally doing nothing for 5 months?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So he's gone from not being good enough to get in the England squad, to being good enough to get in the England squad, by literally doing nothing for 5 months?
Yeah its very odd, I really do not get it

EDIT: Gerrard has retired thats it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah its very odd, I really do not get it

EDIT: Gerrard has retired thats it.
Delph has come in since...although I think he might be injured as well...which presumably means he'll have been upgraded to captain by the time he's fit again.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
:lol:

I know it sounds ridiculous seeing as he's only just returned from 5 months out, but i could see where LvG is coming from if we're to move him there. Can't get consistency and composure from your current CBs? Convert your most reliable defensive midfielder. Good on the ball, experienced and an older head to partner McNair.

Will admit i was against this before the season started but it does make a lot of sense.

EDIT: Just seen the discussion about him moving to CB was an old one. Never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.