Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Out of interest, did Carrick play in the Arsenal game last year, when we lost 3-0 inside 20 minutes?
De Gea, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Young, Carrick, BFS, Mata, Rooney, Depay, Martial.

Witchking

I thought he had a very good game. But I fear if he starts against Arse they will run rings around him.
My fear exactly. He would need a lot of cover and frankly it's a waste to have him in the team where the opposition midfiled is pacey. The game will pass him by. Let's just play Pogba, Herrera and Morgan.

PepsiCola

Was exceptional against Swansea and has been great whenever he's been fielded this season.

However I'd worry if he started against Arsenal.

My fear exactly. He would need a lot of cover and frankly it's a waste to have him in the team where the opposition midfiled is pacey. The game will pass him by. Let's just play Pogba, Herrera and Morgan.
Not a chance.

Some strange opinions on Carrick.

Carrick
Herrera Pogba
Is our best midfield, no question, and most importantly this isn't just an "on paper" opinion as all three players have earned their starting spot.

Z_Wolf

Pogba, Carrick and Herrera should be our midfield against Arsenal. Morgan should never play again.

Witchking

Not a chance.

Some strange opinions on Carrick.

Carrick
Herrera Pogba
Is our best midfield, no question, and most importantly this isn't just an "on paper" opinion as all three players have earned their starting spot.
Pogba, Carrick and Herrera should be our midfield against Arsenal. Morgan should never play again.

I do not disagree that Carrick is a good player. But he is expected to provide cover to the defense and with his pace which has become slower due to his age, it will be an issue. I hope if he plays, he bosses the midfiled but no Arsenal player will be unhappy with Carrick starting. Let's hope i am wrong.

Rossa

I did say in another thread, that for Pogba,

Pirlo - Carrick - slower, intelligent player, pulling the strings without expending much energy
Vidal - Herrera - a terrier type player with lots of energy who can chase the ball.
Pogba - Pogba

This would be the most similar midfield to what Pogba was used to, at Juventus.
And whenever Carrick plays, we do seem to get a win. Is this a coincidence?
No coincidence - I think you are spot on!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Arsenal will be the perfect game for him, IMO. Özil is a master manipulator of space who keeps popping up in dangerous positions, but not that fast in short bursts as far as lateral movement is concerned, and Carrick can be used as the cerebral holder to screen him. Not mark him per se, but try to limit his influence by controlling the flow of the ball, thereby limiting his interaction with Sánchez - that coupling is probably their biggest offensive threat. Pogba and Ander ahead of him will provide the exuberance to match their central midfield pairing, and their quicker guys on the outside will seek to exploit our fullback/central defender zone, for the most part.

Schneiderlin is more athletic, but I don't trust him to: a) open up our offense and control the game in the way it needs to be controlled, or b) act as the experienced holder in front of the defense (which will be a weak spot by the look of things - necessitating a seasoned touch in terms of spatial awareness). Plus, managing the tempo of the game could be vital against Arsenal, and Carrick could help mount a 'controlled onslaught' from midfield. Who knows, though, we could even start with Fellaini in the Anfield setup. Wouldn't be a proactive choice, but as long as it helps us put more points on the board.

Ooh, also - Arsenal might start off quick from the get go, or atleast that's what I'd want my team to do against United. And without Carrick, going 1-2 goals down early on could trigger a meltdown that we likely won't recover from. His composure in tricky situations is not to be undermined.

I do not disagree that Carrick is a good player. But he is expected to provide cover to the defense and with his pace which has become slower due to his age, it will be an issue. I hope if he plays, he bosses the midfiled but no Arsenal player will be unhappy with Carrick starting. Let's hope i am wrong.
Completely disagree, he's so good at covering in front of the back 4 and stopping the passes Arsenal love to play. They will be delighted if we leave him out.

The pace thing is nonsense too, as proven by the player himself in a foot race with Aguero less than 2 weeks ago.

I did say in another thread, that for Pogba,

Pirlo - Carrick - slower, intelligent player, pulling the strings without expending much energy
Vidal - Herrera - a terrier type player with lots of energy who can chase the ball.
Pogba - Pogba

This would be the most similar midfield to what Pogba was used to, at Juventus.
And whenever Carrick plays, we do seem to get a win. Is this a coincidence?
Absolutely not.

Loublaze

ATLien
Carrick (who'd been playing for 85 mins) outpaced a fresh legs Aguero during a sprint for the ball in the City league cup game. Anyways, when will people learn that pace isn't everything? Carrick is already 5 yards ahead of most players in his head. His passing, positioning, anticipation and awareness are his best qualities. Schnierderlin is not starting against Arsenal. Hell he hasn't started a single PL game this season why would that change now? Im not against him starting mind you, but it seems Mourinho is not convinced by him. The only other realistic option to start bar Carrick in a three man midfield is Fellaini. So who would you rather start against Arsenal, Carrick or Fellaini? Its going to be one them and I think (hope not) that it will be the afroman

Witchking

Carrick (who'd been playing for 85 mins) outpaced a fresh legs Aguero during a sprint for the ball in the City league cup game. Anyways, when will people learn that pace isn't everything? Carrick is already 5 yards ahead of most players in his head. His passing, positioning, anticipation and awareness are his best qualities. Schnierderlin is not starting against Arsenal. Hell he hasn't started a single PL game this season why would that change now? Im not against him starting mind you, but it seems Mourinho is not convinced by him. The only other realistic option to start bar Carrick in a three man midfield is Fellaini. So who would you rather start against Arsenal, Carrick or Fellaini? Its going to be one them and I think (hope not) that it will be the afroman
Ok, i hope you are right and if Carrick starts he will put in a good shift and United win.

Janson

I don't believe it's correct that he is only usefull when we expect to dominate possesion, like some seem to think. He would also be effective against high pressing and also counterpressing sides, being able to stay calm under pressure and pick the right pass.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's so good! I wish he could play every game for us as he's still our most important midfielder even after I don't know how much we've spent and how many midfielders we've bought.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We would go far if we have

Carrick
Herrera Pogba
start most premier league games this season.

Man Utd 1:1 Arsenal

Devil may care

Like a warm blanket, he offers the two #8's and the 2 CB's a buffer of composure. Didn't get to use his passing as much today but his defensive positioning closed Arsenal off centrally.

Walters_19_MuFc

This thread doesn't get much attention, but Carrick should be playing all the EPL games he can. The midfield of Carrick, Herrera and Pogba, with Fellaini coming in at times is very well balanced.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Quiet thread.

He can play until 40.

Positioning wise he is t still one of the best around.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We would go far if we have

Carrick
Herrera Pogba
start most premier league games this season.
Is right. We control the midfield against Arsenal because of those 3 combo. If it's proven against Arsenal' midfield, they can go against any team in the league.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
I thought he was great at blocking out Arsenal when they tried to play through us. Can easily start every game.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
We need to find a similar player somewhere, his presence alone seems to have a calming effect on our midfielders and CBs.

edcunited1878

Just his presence alone has United ticking in midfield because it's balance. The first time I saw him play in person, he is the personification of a metronome. All about tempo, all about a consistent control that allows Pogba and Herrera do their thing. Such an underappreciated and underrated player.

Well we got ripped with Carrick and Bastien in the same midfield. The difference is we played Herrera next to him who must have run marathon numbers today.
The midfield wasn't the problem last season against Arsenal, it was the bizarre tactics of how he wanted Bastian to play and the entire team being off, we were fecking shite from player 1-11 and some like Darmien were beyond horrific.

edcunited1878

Well we got ripped with Carrick and Bastien in the same midfield. The difference is we played Herrera next to him who must have run marathon numbers today.
Conceding twice inside 8 minutes last year against Arsenal was a mare from kickoff and the tactics were exploited to say the least.

Icemav

The midfield wasn't the problem last season against Arsenal, it was the bizarre tactics of how he wanted Bastian to play and the entire team being off, we were fecking shite from player 1-11 and some like Darmien were beyond horrific.
Don't disagree. However I strongly think that Carrick is perfectly complemented by the work rate and tenacity of Herrera. Again its about balance and a young fighter (with a bit of skill) next to Carrick works really well considering his age.

Sylar

Him sitting with two in front of him also worked in our best form under LVG. Having him with two runners (especially the likes of Herrera) is what we should be doing. And yes, we should be starting our search now to find his long term replacement.

Man Utd 4:0 Feyenoord

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Four of our scouts should be assigned with the sole purpose of finding this guys successor. Spend whatever the feck we need to, names like Griezman is what gets our jizz on, but players like him means feck all if we doesn't have a carrick-like player in the engine room.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's the difference. Team cannot function without him.

Won 4-1 vs Fenerbache - With Carrick
Lost 1-2 vs Fernerbache - Without Carrick

Lost 2-1 vs Feyernoord - Without Carrick
Won 4-0 vs Feyernoord - With Carrick

Not a coincidence!

Mike09

I'm concerned with his fitness for weekend. Yes we won 4-0 but I feel that the league should more priority.

NinjaFletch

He's the difference. Team cannot function without him.

Won 4-1 vs Fenerbache - With Carrick HOME
Lost 1-2 vs Fernerbache - Without Carrick AWAY

Lost 2-1 vs Feyernoord - Without Carrick AWAY
Won 4-0 vs Feyernoord - With Carrick HOME

Not a coincidence!
Something else going on there too if you look closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.