6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

The team is just better with him in it, there's no argument, he makes the CB's more confident, covers the FB's and allows Pogba and the front 4 to do their thing with freedom. Replacing him in the summer is by far and away the most vital piece of business we need to do.

podurban2

I just don't get why he wasn't more involved in our games up until recently. We would be top-4 if that was the case. Well at least Jose has realized this, just as he did with Mata, and soon to come Micky.

dichinero

The team is just better with him in it, there's no argument, he makes the CB's more confident, covers the FB's and allows Pogba and the front 4 to do their thing with freedom. Replacing him in the summer is by far and away the most vital piece of business we need to do.
Just Benjamin Burton the dude

arnie_ni

If carrick was the age we bought him at and had his career now with no Scholes lamps or gerard, I think many outside of utd fans would actually realise the world class talents he has.

Criminally underrated

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Why not? I don't actually think his playing style is physically all that demanding. I also never felt like he started to look tired in the past, if anything his problem was that he had a tough time dealing with really aggressive and relentless midfielders who were able to dominate him physically.
I agree with you regarding playing style, it's just we have 4 games within the next 2 weeks. With Herrera rested, I'm assuming it'll be a straight swap with mostly the same personnel.

Mike09

Why not? I don't actually think his playing style is physically all that demanding. I also never felt like he started to look tired in the past, if anything his problem was that he had a tough time dealing with really aggressive and relentless midfielders who were able to dominate him physically.
I actually also concerned with his fitness on Sunday. 35 years old playing twice in a high level for 3 or 4 days. His fitness isn't Ibrahimovic but I believe he will play on Sunday but im not sure if he will display the usual performance. But again he hasn't played much this season anyway so may be he will be fine on Sunday.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
No one out there capable of replacing him, according to the resident germans Weigl isn't suited to the PL, and Verratti is ungettable. There is some Argentinian DM in the Serie A which is getting a lot of plaudits, but his name escapes me.

Edit: Leandro Paredes from AS Roma is the name. Never seen him play though.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Few people understand how fitness works. Carrick could play twice a week all season. There would be a point that he may start breaking down but the same is true of a 25 year old. If you asked him to play full back he'd reach that point sooner, ask him to play in goal and he could play twice a week for years at a time.

It's not a case of players just crapping out after a certain age. It's just a measure of energy expenditure/output at a rate that recovery is not possible before the next match. After months, accumulated fatigue is an issue for anyone.

Carrick may find himself absolutely toast after 90 minutes in one week against Watford, but feeling great after 180 minutes in a different week against Arsenal and Chelsea.

To my knowledge he's always been slim, fit, his weight has been constant. He has no history of niggling calf/hamstring overuse issues either. Sure, there will absolutely be periods that he doesn't have enough gas in the tank to start. Accumulated fatigue is a genuine issue. But it's not a bigger issue for a 35 year old than a 25 year old.

I trust the club to manage his condition.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
The fact that he still hasn't been replaced is a disgrace. What a player though.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
probably a very unpopular opinion but i still think he is the best midfielder in the club.

waza7111

It might not work but we should try Blind there for a few games this season. I definitely think he has the passing ability but the only question mark is mobility. It's worth a try because Carrick would need to be replaced next year anyway.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Alarming we don't have a similar player.
There aren't many Carricks out there, even Kroos isn't defensively as sound as Carrick and he's the nearest player I could pin point who could replace him (not that he's even gettable)

Gopher Brown

There aren't many Carricks out there, even Kroos isn't defensively as sound as Carrick and he's the nearest player I could pin point who could replace him (not that he's even gettable)
Carrick didn't become Carrick until he was 30/31-ish though.

DMs mature into their roles, so buying a young DM to replace him will be nigh-on impossible.

Red_toad

The fact that he still hasn't been replaced is a disgrace. What a player though.
So how exactly do you replace a player still on the books? To be replaced he'd have to leave. I'm happy he got a new contract, as he's still a quality player.
No idea how it's a disgrace, lad just keeps on keeping on.

Bwuk

probably a very unpopular opinion but i still think he is the best midfielder in the club.
I agree whole heartedly. None of the others can run a team like he does.

We always look better with Carrick.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Shame we used him tonight as he probably won't start in the league on Sunday now and we'll be worse for it.

Dobbs

I'm not sure his actual performances are particularly great. I mean he's doing OK but it's more that he's the only DM we've got. So when he's not there we have this gaping hole. I think that embellishes his performances a touch.

That said he has to be in the team for the bigger games.

Mike09

Carrick didn't become Carrick until he was 30/31-ish though.

DMs mature into their roles, so buying a young DM to replace him will be nigh-on impossible.
You might need to watch him again in 2006-2009 seasons.
I believe buy anyone who is young or old isn't the big issue. Even if we buy a replacement with age of 32 years old and guarantee at least 3 seasons top performance, it's better than buying the younger one but average.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I'm not sure his actual performances are particularly great. I mean he's doing OK but it's more that he's the only DM we've got. So when he's not there we have this gaping hole. I think that embellishes his performances a touch.

That said he has to be in the team for the bigger games.
Carrick makes the things he do look simple, but the fact is not many players can do what he does.

Jaybomb

Schneiderlin could easily be his replacement. He's got the legs too. But no manager of ours seems to fancy him.

OldTrevil

I like how he snuffs out danger with his blocks and interceptions, he played great with Pogba today, who was also excellent defensively. It's good to see our midfield finally stabilizing again. And guys on the edge of it like Schneiderlin, Blind and TFM will benefit from the stability as Mou can easily bring them in once we start to consistently kill off games early.

Sylar

Will be funny if we search for his replacement, but the man ends up being Blind.

Anyway, a game like this was probably must win for Jose so thats why he started him. but it wouldnt have been too taxing for him as we had majority of possession and were on the attack for the most part. He should play Sunday and then be rested in the cup match.
Hopefully.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Schneiderlin could easily be his replacement. He's got the legs too. But no manager of ours seems to fancy him.
Schneiderlin doesn't have 1/10 of the passing ability Carrick. Even Fellaini is a better passer than him simply for the fact Fellaini isn't a complete coward and makes himself available for the ball.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I like Schneiderlin and while it hasn't worked out for him, he could definitely still play a role at United.
Can't see it as a Carrick-esque player though, they're too different. Schneiderlin has mobility and stamina but his passing is fairly uninspiring, he could never dictate a game from the base of midfield in the way Carrick can.

Bruno8

SAF said its very difficult to get a quality United midfielder and he was right

Carrick is still by far our very best midfielder

Status
Not open for further replies.