g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Michael Carrick image 16

Michael Carrick England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The red panther

princess transfer emo

You put runners in front of this guy and he'll find them. Problem is we haven't really had that under Van Gaal but he was still huge for us in other ways. Put Pogba in for a great chance vs Palace just the other week.
Under LVG: Martial, Rashford, Young, Depay, Lingard, Di Maria, ...

Those are runners, in fact he had more of them in front of him than under Fergie

JohnnyLaw

Under LVG: Martial, Rashford, Young, Depay, Lingard, Di Maria, ...

Those are runners, in fact he had more of them in front of him than under Fergie
They are runners, but they didn't make half as many offensive runs under LvGs possession based football as they did under Fergie where we played alot more direct because there was no space to run into. Under Van Gaal we pushed teams to back down and block all open spaces while under Fergie we allowed teams up the field in order to open up those spaces for our forwards. It's one of the reasons why we were only successful against the big teams under Van Gaal who themselves were looking to attack and thus space was created for us, where as smaller teams would shut up shop and we lacked the attacking talent to open them up.

JohnnyLaw

Just curious. Which are the games we played without him this season?
EL

Feyenoord away (loss)
Zorya Luhansk home (win)
Fenerbache away (loss)
Zorya Luhansk away (win)

EPL

Bournemouth (win)
Southampton (win)
Hull (win)
City (loss)
Watford (loss)
Stoke (draw)
Liverpool (draw)
Chelsea (loss)
Burnley (draw)
West Ham (draw)

JohnnyLaw

Ideally, we need a ready made replacement, not someone who has potential to be him.
I genuinely believe that Blind could be pretty close to that but I can really on say that based on his performances at CB. We really should try him in that role soon, Carrick will need his rest so there will be opportunities.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well, we haven't had one apart from Blind but he wasn't ready for the position for other reasons and Carrick has been one of our best players for at least half a decade so there was no point.
essentially the point right ? We haven't had one who can stay infront on defense (Apart from carrick)

JohnnyLaw

essentially the point right ? We haven't had one who can stay infront on defense (Apart from carrick)
No but we've only used a role like that in spurts, I don't think we've had a manager who actually prioritised that kind of midfielder. But even so, I don't think that Carrick is particularly bad on the ball, it's very rarely been an issue anyways as it's been compensated by his awareness and intelligence, which is a lot harder to come by than ability on the ball.

Walters_19_MuFc

I genuinely believe that Blind could be pretty close to that but I can really on say that based on his performances at CB. We really should try him in that role soon, Carrick will need his rest so there will be opportunities.
Ye I would like to see this actually. Did a decent job of it under Van Gaal in the games he played there.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't we already have an excellent candidate in Blind? Seems to have the basic components of Carrick's game, given a couple of seasons in the same role, with the quality of Herrera and Pogba alongside, could really grow in to it. Better defensively that Carrick too imo.
Considering he hasn't played there in over 50 odd matches, I don't think so. Looks like he's a second choice LB (probably even third when Shaw gets back) and a utility CB.

Walters_19_MuFc

Considering he hasn't played there in over 50 odd matches, I don't think so. Looks like he's a second choice LB (probably even third when Shaw gets back) and a utility CB.
Thing is, who plays the holding role if/when Carrick injured?

If we want to go like for like, in terms of playing style, then Blind is the only player in our squad who could do something similar to what Carrick does. Otherwise Mourinho would be forced into either playing a 4231 or going with Herrera or Fellaini holding in a 433.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
the question is - who was the better no. 16. Keano or Carrick. Two different players but both fantastic. Also... i rember that summer when we signed only Carrick and Kuszczak. we were tipped to finish 6th :lol:
:lol: Youve got to be fecking kidding me right? Whats with this forum and Carrick?

ivaldo

How is that a funny?

Both different style of players, but both equally as important, in my opinion.
Comparing one of the best midfielders we ever had to Carrick is ridiculous. He's so overrated on this forum it's ridiculous. It's truly amazing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thing is, who plays the holding role if/when Carrick injured?

If we want to go like for like, in terms of playing style, then Blind is the only player in our squad who could do something similar to what Carrick does. Otherwise Mourinho would be forced into either playing a 4231 or going with Herrera or Fellaini holding in a 433.
Like for like, Blind or Basti are probably the most capable to take that role, that much is true. But I think Mourinho will probably just revert back to a 4231 if Carrick does get injured.

Walters_19_MuFc

Like for like, Blind or Basti are probably the most capable to take that role, that much is true. But I think Mourinho will probably just revert back to a 4231 if Carrick does get injured.
That's where he'll be making a big mistake, especially in the bigger games.

ivaldo

Carrick, to me, is also one of the best midfielders we've had. Definitely up there anyway.
Except if he's ever up against a team that will press him, then he wilts and disappears from the game. As good as he can be when he's given time and space, having such a deficiency means he doesn't get anywhere near Keane.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Comparing one of the best midfielders we ever had to Carrick is ridiculous. He's so overrated on this forum it's ridiculous. It's truly amazing.
I know DailyMail is far from the best source of information, but read the comments on the last Carrick article. People are comparing him with the likes of Pirlo, Xabi Alonso and Busquets. It's absurd, he's nowhere near that level.

Carrick was a good footballer, but nothing more. I feel like he's been underrated at certain points in his career, and now everyone is going in the complete opposite direction to "compensate" and overrating him beyond belief.

I'd put him on par with Tiago Mendes. A good footballer with great longevity, but by no means some kind of legend.

Mike09

I know DailyMail is far from the best source of information, but read the comments on the last Carrick article. People are comparing him with the likes of Pirlo, Xabi Alonso and Busquets. It's absurd, he's nowhere near that level.

Carrick was a good footballer, but nothing more. I feel like he's been underrated at certain points in his career, and now everyone is going in the complete opposite direction to "compensate" and overrating him beyond belief.

I'd put him on par with Tiago Mendes. A good footballer with great longevity, but by no means some kind of legend.
Xabi Alonso: "I've always seen myself in him"
Even Alonso is comparing himself with Carrick. I think you are still underrating Carrick. He has brought United midfield to another level by winning PL in 2010/2011 and 2012/2013 and his midfield companions were 38 years old Giggs, Anderson, Cleverley and Jones.

Last edited:

Zoo

He has been a lot better then Tiago Mendes. And Xabi Alonso is the overrated one.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No but we've only used a role like that in spurts, I don't think we've had a manager who actually prioritised that kind of midfielder. But even so, I don't think that Carrick is particularly bad on the ball, it's very rarely been an issue anyways as it's been compensated by his awareness and intelligence, which is a lot harder to come by than ability on the ball.
Oh No, make no mistake , I dont agree with him and I think Carrick is one of most underrated midfielders in the world football now . My point is different though - The stats above just highlights the need of having a proper DM who is good on the ball and for that reason, i think we will be fine after Carrick if we bring in a good DM.

ChaddyP

Carrick is one of the best midfielders we have had. He is not overrated on here, he also however will never be as great as Keano was for us. But thats not to say he hasnt been important and is as irriplacable as Keane and Scholes have proved to have been. But better than Keane he is not.

ivaldo

Carrick is one of the best midfielders we have had. He is not overrated on here, he also however will never be as great as Keano was for us. But thats not to say he hasnt been important and is as irriplacable as Keane and Scholes have proved to have been. But better than Keane he is not.
The fact he's being compared to Keane is an exaggeration is it not?

A bad word can't be said against him in here. If we control a match its because of Carrick, if we don't control a match its because the players werent supporting him. I find myself seeming overly harsh on the bloke because I'm constantly contesting some of the nonsense spouted about how good he is.

Mike09

If we are talking about who's better, they both have different style of play. But who was more influence in a team, it has to be Keane.
Imagine Scholes, Carrick, Keane in three midfields :drool:
I have to say probably better than Busquest Xavi Iniesta trio.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He has been a lot better then Tiago Mendes. And Xabi Alonso is the overrated one.
I doubt you watched Xabi Alonso during his time at Real Madrid, because otherwise you wouldn't be writing this.

Alonso was in the FIFPRO World XI in both 2011 and 2012 and was voted La Liga midfielder of the season in 2011/12, ahead of Xavi and Iniesta.

To compare Carrick to Xabi Alonso is laughable.

edcunited1878

Carrick is significantly difference from any other central midfield player United have ever had, thus he's in a category of his own and anyone trying to compare him to another United center mid isn't right. He's a pure deep lying playmaker with great positional/defensive understanding. He's never going to bully you, but he'll get the ball or retain possession and thread a ball that took out multiple players and multiple layers of a defensive setup.

A few other great center mids for United include Keane, Scholes, Robson, Butt, Ince. Pogba, Fletcher, Herrera and a few others who could be considered a mainstay in the center can be added. Fact is Carrick is one of the most talented and important center mids we've had in the club.

I think everybody is in agreement that United have had three untouchable center mids in Keane, Scholes and Robson. Everyone else is highly debatable, but Carrick is one of the midfielders in the discussion.

Zoo

I doubt you watched Xabi Alonso during his time at Real Madrid, because otherwise you wouldn't be writing this.

Alonso was in the FIFPRO World XI in both 2011 and 2012 and was voted La Liga midfielder of the season in 2011/12, ahead of Xavi and Iniesta.

Alonso was a defensive liability and I was never a big fan. Carrick was an important member of a team that frequently dominated in England and was a major force in Europe, reaching back to back CL finals. Comparing him to an average player like Tiago is what's laughable.

Mike09

But Alonso is comparing himself with Carrick and David Luiz was in the FIFPRO World XI once as well. These FIFPRO world XI is nothing but just bunch of journalists and people vote their friends. As a Barcelona fans you should have ever heard something similar like this from Cruyff.

Mike09

Alonso was a defensive liability and I was never a big fan. Carrick was an important member of a team that frequently dominated in England and was a major force in Europe, reaching back to back CL finals. Comparing him to an average player like Tiago is what's laughable.
This is correct. How can someone is comparing a midfielder who had a lot of success like Carrick with a player who only won a few like Tiago Mendes.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
But Alonso is comparing himself with Carrick and David Luiz was in the FIFPRO World XI once as well. These FIFPRO world XI is nothing but just bunch of journalists and people vote their friends. As a Barcelona fans you should have ever heard something similar like this from Cruyff.
Perhaps you should watch Xabi Alonso's 2011/12 season with Real Madrid (when Madrid broke the 100 points barrier) to understand why he made it in the FIFPRO XI and was voted La Liga midfielder of the year ahead of both Xavi and Iniesta. Then you will also understand why Carrick is not on his level.

Alonso was a defensive liability and I was never a big fan.
If Alonso was a liability in the sense that he occasionally made rash tackles, I agree. But unlike Carrick, Alonso was press resistant, less likely to lose the ball or misplace a pass. Alonso was also less likely to disappear or be marked out of a game. Alonso could shield the ball better than Carrick. Alonso was more technically gifted than Carrick. Alonso was a better passer than Carrick.

I have seen Alonso outsmart and outplay Xavi on more than one occasion.

I cannot even believe I'm having a serious discussion about whether Carrick or Xabi Alonso is better. This is precisely what I am talking about when I say that people are now trying to "compensate" for previously underrating Carrick, by now overrating him beyond belief.

Rossa

The carrick love in seems to be in full motion again. I however still think he slows down our game far too much and his passes never really create any good openings for the offence. He never was or will be on the level Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi, who are the only ones good enough on pure technical quality alone to still be vital for a top team at such an advanced age. But then again we aren't really a top team anymore these days so i guess he fits right in.
How? I hear this repeatedly, but I have yet to be presented with a remotely convincing argument. Carrick uses as few touches as he possibly can. Most of his play consists of one touch to receive the ball and one to pass it. Compare that to Herrera and especially Pogba who spends so much more time on the ball. The ball moves faster than any person, and so Carrick shifting the ball to other players moves the ball and the team.

Also, he plays so many attacking balls into the legs of Ibra for instance, or over the top of the defense in behind in the 18 yard box or out to the wings. That you miss this suggests a trip to your local Specsavers.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
How? I hear this repeatedly, but I have yet to be presented with a remotely convincing argument. Carrick uses as few touches as he possibly can. Most of his play consists of one touch to receive the ball and one to pass it. Compare that to Herrera and especially Pogba who spends so much more time on the ball. The ball moves faster than any person, and so Carrick shifting the ball to other players moves the ball and the team.

Also, he plays so many attacking balls into the legs of Ibra for instance, or over the top of the defense in behind in the 18 yard box or out to the wings. That you miss this suggests a trip to your local Specsavers.
I don't think Carrick plays alot of one touch plays, I'am sorry but I don't see that. He also spends a fair bit of time on the ball before he passes it. And when he passes it in one touch it is very often a backpass or sidepass that doesn't move the ball or team forward at all.

You are all describing the Carrick of 4 years ago. This Carrick that I have been seeing the last years, he spends a fair bit of time on the ball, he very often passes it safely backwards or sideways, which doesn't move us any closer to goal. When he plays a ball forward, it certainly isn't fast and one touch as he takes his sweet time to do it and they also aren't defence splitting because if they were he would have alot more assists on his name in the last years than he has. Again the man has 3 assists spread over 3 and a half years. If he would be playing anything like how people are describing him, that output should typically be 4 or 5 times higher over such a long period of time. No he does what he can and I credit him for being such a good servant to the club but his time has been long up and right now he just brings control to the game but a cost of lacking speed and penetration. Not that Carrick is the onlyone guilty of this, our defenders sucking at build up play is also a big reason for this.

Mike09

Perhaps you should watch Xabi Alonso's 2011/12 season with Real Madrid (when Madrid broke the 100 points barrier) to understand why he made it in the FIFPRO XI and was voted La Liga midfielder of the year ahead of both Xavi and Iniesta. Then you will also understand why Carrick is not on his level.
No!!! I don't have to watch Alonso played anymore because I have watched him even in that season. He's one of the best no6 in his generation. But you are the one who should watch Carrick. Go watch Carrick 2012/2013 season with United. In that season he was named in PFA team of the year, won United player of the season, made United won PL with Cleverley and Jones as his midfield partner and named as a midfielder with the most forward passes in Europe.
I can't believe you are disagree with the comparison of Carrick with Alonso and Busquest but you accept the comparison of Carrick with Tiago Mendes. Tiago Mendessss!!!!!?? What a joke!!

Manny

Grammar Police
I cannot even believe I'm having a serious discussion about whether Carrick or Xabi Alonso is better. This is precisely what I am talking about when I say that people are now trying to "compensate" for previously underrating Carrick, by now overrating him beyond belief.
A bit unfair. Alonso may well be better but I think you have to take in to consideration the difference in quality between the teams Carrick has had to play compared to the Real and Bayern teams Alonso has played.

When Alonso was firing balls at Ronaldo, Ozil, di Maria and Benzema, Carrick was working with Young, Valencia, Rooney, Javier Hernandez and Welbeck.

His midfield partners since 2011 have been Cleverly, Anderson, Jones and over the hill Giggs and Scholes. He finally got a midfield partner in 13-14 when Moyes brought in Fellaini(!)

A Barca fan more than most should know how good players can look even better when they are surrounded by the right talent.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
Carrick is awesome. Brilliant midfielder. Happy to see him finally get some recognition
He's got it before but we soon forget. Ive seen many posts like this for the last three seasons. Gonna miss the guy when he's gone

AN17

Don't care for the comparisons about who is better than whom. His presence and composure gives us a stability in midfield like no other.He isn't a pass master like Scholes or a tough tackler like Keane, but is as intelligent as either of them, his forte is in interceptions and ticking over things without a fuss. And once in a while, he finds a runner or puts in a perfect pass to bypass the defenses. Overrated, underrated blah blah blah... Happy to see him, sad to know it won't be for long. You don't see CM try and excel at doing the simple things any more. Everyone wants to be a specialist, an all action one or one who wants to score and assist. The beauty of Carrick's game is his simplicity and excellence at what he does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.