Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
I am a massive fan but...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I need to get me some of what you have been smoking/drinking.

He is wonderfully consistent in regards to his passing, but that does not make him the best. Not by a long shot.
Who's better among his contemporaries? Who was better before? IMO only Paul Scholes has a case

Loublaze

ATLien
The bloke who he played alongside for six and a half years.
Scholes? I edited my post to mention him. I can't think of anyone else who even comes close. Gerrard was a good passer but not as good and varied with his balls as Carrick is. Lampard is not even close. Barnes was a great passer later in his career when he lost his pace and dropped deeper

Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's still up there as one of the best midfielders in the league for me. I'm not looking forward to the day he hangs up his boots at all.

Devil may care

His positioning tonight was so good, the amount of times he saw the pass before the guy made it was instrumental in the periods where we built some pressure.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Love this man. We simply don't lose as long as he's on the pitch.

Walters_19_MuFc

If Ibra can play so many games, then why can't Carrick?

It's not like he's a box to box midfielder. His job is to sit in front of the back four and control the game, which is does magnificently. His ability to read the game so well also means he doesn't do as much running as others would do.

Sylar

Rolls royce. Should have been playing in a three man midfield longer than he is now imo. Then again, since 2009, he should have been given proper midfield players to play with instead of being asked to carry it himself.

That pass to Pogba was lovely too. He really does get the ball from DM position and pass it quickly forwards.

marlowe78

Did well again. Not the same player as a few years ago but priceless experience.

Also held up well under Benteke's fouling, the dirty cnut.

buckooo1978

I wonder what our league position would be had Mourinho did what most on here suggested

dropping Rooney early and playing Martial, Mhiki, Carrick and Hererra from the start of the season

waza7111

Forget about Griezmann or Sanchez. Finding a replacement for Carrick should be the main priority next summer. He makes such a difference to the team.

Roboc7

Shame it has taken so long to get good midfield players around him, Herrera and pogba will lengthen his career.

darioterios

Hilarious how much time WBA afforded him. When he's given that much space, he is just class.
I don't think it's the case that they gave him space, he was still being closely watched by at least one player. It was more that the two partners offered support to him, and they knew what to do with the ball and were not afraid to receive the ball in tight situation. Their movement also dragged the markers from place to place, also helping Carrick have more space to operate. The task of receiving the ball from the defence and playing the ball forward did not solely lie on Carrick any more with all three being capable, so they took turns to do this job. There's a reason we have been crying out for good midfielders alongside Carrick for years, when he absolutely had no one to share the job with him on a consistent basis

Sylar

The way he plays, he can go for another year or two. Hes only 35, theres no reason he cant play especially if we keep this 3 in midfield. That will also give us two seasons to actually find a true replacement for him.

Bruno8

Carrick replacement has been neglected for far too long. Hopefully Jose fixes it.

If Strootman had not been injured LvG was going to buy him and we probably could have found someone closer to Carrick then

Festive Sandvich

Carrick replacement has been neglected for far too long. Hopefully Jose fixes it.

If Strootman had not been injured LvG was going to buy him and we probably could have found someone closer to Carrick then
Don't we already have an excellent candidate in Blind? Seems to have the basic components of Carrick's game, given a couple of seasons in the same role, with the quality of Herrera and Pogba alongside, could really grow in to it. Better defensively that Carrick too imo.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
The carrick love in seems to be in full motion again. I however still think he slows down our game far too much and his passes never really create any good openings for the offence. He never was or will be on the level Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi, who are the only ones good enough on pure technical quality alone to still be vital for a top team at such an advanced age. But then again we aren't really a top team anymore these days so i guess he fits right in.

JohnnyLaw

The carrick love in seems to be in full motion again. I however still think he slows down our game far too much and his passes never really create any good openings for the offence. He never was or will be on the level Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi, who are the only ones good enough on pure technical quality alone to still be vital for a top team at such an advanced age. But then again we aren't really a top team anymore these days so i guess he fits right in.
I'd say while the majority of your post is dubious, this is just plain not true and I find it really weird that anyone could think this.

Mike09

I'd say while the majority of your post is dubious, this is just plain not true and I find it really weird that anyone could think this.
Just leave him alone. Some people still don't understand what Carrick can bring in the team. A team doesn't need to play high tempo for full 90 minutes. There is time when it's the best for the team to slow it down. Carrick does both slow it down and accelerate the tempo, and he knows when to do it. He's dictating it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think this way - although i dont agree with his post, there is something else we need to think about. We have never really tried anyone who is a DM and good on the ball in place of Carrick. Have tried herrera who is positionally undisciplined and fellaini who is pretty rash .

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I watch all United games, rarely seen any defence splitting passes from him. You can say it is plain not true but all you want but the stats are what they are, he has had a grand total of 2 assists in over 3 seasons. His days of being involved in game decisive moments are well and truely over. He fits the bill for controlling the game mostly by slowing it down and taking the tempo our of it with backward and sideways passing.

He was great in the 2013 season. People are still licking his boots for that season alltough he has brought little to nothing ever since.

JohnnyLaw

Think this way - although i dont agree with his post, there is something else we need to think about. We have never really tried anyone who is a DM and good on the ball in place of Carrick. Have tried herrera who is positionally undisciplined and fellaini who is pretty rash .
Well, we haven't had one apart from Blind but he wasn't ready for the position for other reasons and Carrick has been one of our best players for at least half a decade so there was no point.

JohnnyLaw

I watch all United games, rarely seen any defence splitting passes from him. You can say it is plain not true but all you want but the stats are what they are, he has had a grand total of 2 assists in over 3 seasons. His days of being involved in game decisive moments are well and truely over. He fits the bill for controlling the game mostly by slowing it down and taking the tempo our of it with backward and sideways passing.

He was great in the 2013 season. People are still licking his boots for that season alltough he has brought little to nothing ever since.

You put runners in front of this guy and he'll find them. Problem is we haven't really had that under Van Gaal but he was still huge for us in other ways. Put Pogba in for a great chance vs Palace just the other week.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He's just makes everything tick, mainly by giving the players around him the confidence to push forward or try that risky pass. Brilliant player.

Status
Not open for further replies.