Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
You only have to look back to the man Carrick "replaced" to remember that there are very few like for like replacements in football. If there was a 18-25 year old player who looked like he would be able to replace him directly, I dare say he would have been spotted and purchased by a big club by now. We'll just have to adjust in his absence.

Mike09

The thing about Carrick becomes an important player this season is because of his role as a no6 or Defensive midfield. In our current squad there is no one knows to play properly in this role except Carrick. Schneiderlin was never be a Defensive midfield, he was box to box. Fellaini was never be a Defensive midfield, he was either box to box or no 10. Herrera isn't a Defensive midfielder. Pogba isn't and not even Schweinsteiger. I noticed that Carrick's long range and forward passing this season aren't as good as they used to be before, the quality of his passing are reduced, Pogba is so much better in term of passing quality right now. But the importance of Carrick as a no6 role is to protect the back four, great positioning, knows how to organise the midfield, knows how to read the game very well, and not clueless. I think finding Carrick's replacement next season is about finding someone who can actually play in this role, not someone who is no8 or no10 and being forced to play as a no6 just because he has passing ability or a good tackler.

Cu'23

Carrick is our maestro of the midfield.

Ibra started scoring since Carrick returned to the side. (After that run where he scored one goal in 11 matches if I'm not mistaken).
In his fourteen appearances in all competitions we have won twelve and drawn two.

This guy is crucial for us at this point. We need his calming influence. We need to keep this winning streak. In order to get our identity back.

We need to smack the fear back into these mid table and bottom of the league sides..

Anyone know if he's available today?

Sylar

Gets away with murder, at times. He needs to get his foot on the ball, take control and speed up the game.
I do agree. He should have at least stepped up, got us more control of the game and at least told some players to keep width, like a captain. I dunno, it might seem harsh, our players are too scared to use their brains maybe?

Devil may care

Not his best game but he was unwell just 2 days ago, I actually felt he effected the game more when he was moved to CB.

Oneunited26

Anyone else think this could be a great time to get carrick on ice in time for the liverpool game, Hull and reading in the cup games, lets hope he gets our main 3 CM players rotated, and along with zlatan. I am hoping we see Jose use rashford in the cup games, so we are ready for liverpool fresh

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Anyone else think this could be a great time to get carrick on ice in time for the liverpool game, Hull and reading in the cup games,
There's what, 13 days between now & the Livershite game, so finding the right amount of rest with match-time sharpness is why Jose get the big bucks. But yes it's clear we need to give him some calculated down-time and I think he will certainly be rested for the Reading game and probably start the Hull game until we have control of it, say 60 minutes and we're up by at least two. That will give him 5 days to prep for a full 90 against the scouse bastards.:devil:

Who would you like to see him replaced with? Jose likes to stick Fellaini in to the mix which I think upsets our balance but he clearly likes the height the mop-head brings to the eleven.
I would rather see someone else, perhaps Blind to sit in front of the back four. He reads the game well and makes few mistakes. Picking our team for Reading will be a fun challenge :houllier:

cyberman

Undefeated with Michael in the side, only drawing two which is ridiculous.
I do think he gets a bit too much credit with Pogba's form though. It's the shape that helps Paul's game rather than having Carrick beside him

Grunge

Undefeated with Michael in the side, only drawing two which is ridiculous.
I do think he gets a bit too much credit with Pogba's form though. It's the shape that helps Paul's game rather than having Carrick beside him
That may be true.
However, when Carrick is not playing, Pogba's "form" hasn't been quite enough to make up for whoever tries to replace Carrick, at least not so far this season.
That has to change for us to win the title and more importantly dominate the EPL again (if that's even possible in this football era) but in the mean time, Carrick it is!

Oneunited26

There's what, 13 days between now & the Livershite game, so finding the right amount of rest with match-time sharpness is why Jose get the big bucks. But yes it's clear we need to give him some calculated down-time and I think he will certainly be rested for the Reading game and probably start the Hull game until we have control of it, say 60 minutes and we're up by at least two. That will give him 5 days to prep for a full 90 against the scouse bastards.:devil:

Who would you like to see him replaced with? Jose likes to stick Fellaini in to the mix which I think upsets our balance but he clearly likes the height the mop-head brings to the eleven.
I would rather see someone else, perhaps Blind to sit in front of the back four. He reads the game well and makes few mistakes. Picking our team for Reading will be a fun challenge :houllier:
Carrick, Herrera, Pogba, Mkhi and Zlatan for me need to be rotated, as they must be fit in ready for the liverpool game. So many games coming in, its crucial they ready. I do think if everyone is fit with that system we now using can beat anyone, apart from maybe chelsea I don't think there is another midfield has good as those 3 in the middle. If only this system was found out sooner at the start of the season we may have been 10 points better off

Sylar

Thought like a few others, was better second half. Also having him move into that CB position was a great move by Jose cos he was still occupying the same position but it meant an extra man ahead of them.
I really think he can do another 2 / 3 years with the 3 man midfield and his general positioning if hes managed well. Obviously we need to look for a long term replacement, but he makes a lot of things look easy. Do wish he would at times (like first half) put his foot on the ball and just take control, but guess thats not him. Nice that he finally has a midfield to compliment him so hes not a one man midfield.

Grunge

Thought like a few others, was better second half. Also having him move into that CB position was a great move by Jose cos he was still occupying the same position but it meant an extra man ahead of them.
I really think he can do another 2 / 3 years with the 3 man midfield and his general positioning if hes managed well. Obviously we need to look for a long term replacement, but he makes a lot of things look easy. Do wish he would at times (like first half) put his foot on the ball and just take control, but guess thats not him. Nice that he finally has a midfield to compliment him so hes not a one man midfield.
Moving Carrick into the back four & more importantly replacing a defender turned out for the best but it was the lack of communication, or at least lack of understanding between Carrick & Jones that led to the breakaway and DDG's brilliant (perhaps game-saving) save. All's well that ends well :cool:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Beautiful pass for the goal, needs to do that more often. Weighted so well it put the CB in no man's land.

spiriticon

He is The English Architect.

3 years older than Bastian and seemingly 100 x fitter.

CM

Best player on the pitch today, wish he could play every game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's been class this season, he and zlatan just shows age is just a number

Norris

What a performance today. "Even though" it was Reading, that was a masterclass performance. His positioning, passing were such delights to watch.

Walters_19_MuFc

Football is so easy for him. At least that how he makes it look.

The pass to Rashford was different class.

Rest against Hull and start vs Pool.

Trizy

My MOTM. He was fantastic throughout and some of those passes were just delish!

RRCE

A really good performance against an underwhelming Reading team. Carrick is obviously very important to our team currently. He's not as quick as he once was, but he reads the game well and has the ability to control a match with his quality passing. He's a smart player. His footballing intelligence and experience is really benefiting him late in his career. He reminds me a bit of Ryan Giggs in that respect. He'll have tougher tests than he had today, but he certainly deserves a one year extension.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's world class for me personally, such an underrated player in world football.

Sylar

Seem to say this after every game, he could play for another few years.
Today wasnt the best indication cos it was against a championship team, but if we have three in midfield and two runners for him, he can pass it out from the back and his reading of the game is so good that he doesnt need to be sprinting across much to make tackles, its mostly interceptions for him.

George Beast

Love his chant because it gives props to two of our legends at the same time. Bet Scholes quietly smiles to himself whenever he hears it being belted out by United fans.

Akshay

Staff
What a performance today. "Even though" it was Reading, that was a masterclass performance. His positioning, passing were such delights to watch.
Every time Reading's defense pushed up and Carrick got the ball he was looking to play it in behind them or down the wings. Got most of them bang on too. Made some important stops in the box as well. Don't know what we'd do without him.

Tarrou

Class act again, but it's pretty worrying how much we depend on Carrick now, isn't it?

Home to Reading in the cup, surely one of the other lot could've handled it?

Art Vandelay

Football is so easy for him. At least that how he makes it look.

The pass to Rashford was different class.

Rest against Hull and start vs Pool.
Yeah his positioning and economics of movement are exceptional. He really doesn't need to bust a gut getting forward or getting back in position as he tends to just be where he needs to be and can make the passing do the work for him. He makes it look easy. Yet at one point he had burst ahead of the attack to close down the keeper while Rooney and I can't remember if it was Rashford or Martial just stood there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Was very good today, motm.

Status
Not open for further replies.