Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Thank you MC. The way he set the team up for the last three games at least showed he saw the problems many of us saw with Ole set up. Hope he goes on to have a great career as a manager.
You cant have it both ways. If he knew whats wrong and for 2.5 years did nothing under ole then he's part of the blame.

You should stand up if your boss is incompetent. I'm not talking about mutiny but pushing forward for change is still in the boundary of his job.

If ole dont even listen then he's the bad apples. Now that they're all gone it seems that the narrative is that they're actually coaching genius somehow

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
:lol:

It's more the case he was done with all the abuse he was getting from our loyal fanbase.

Him & McKenna were the ones getting all the blame for Ole's failures.
Or perhaps the players failures?

Apokalips

You cant have it both ways. If he knew whats wrong and for 2.5 years did nothing under ole then he's part of the blame.

You should stand up if your boss is incompetent. I'm not talking about mutiny but pushing forward for change is still in the boundary of his job.

If ole dont even listen then he's the bad apples. Now that they're all gone it seems that the narrative is that they're actually coaching genius somehow
So you're saying you know that he did not challenge Ole? What are you suggesting he should have done? Surely immediately changing systems and personnel would likely mean he had different ideas that were not attempted?

I am pretty sure that there were reports that Carrick and McKenna worked on things in training that were ignored by Ole on match days - who knows how true any of it is though.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He failed as coach. Stop gloryfying the past.

Ralph failed. Doesnt mean he doesnt
Mmmm, bold statement.
I never saw United training, so I suppose you did, so can make these type of comments.
It's interesting that for three games with Carrick in charge, we looked a much better 'team', something that was lacking previously.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Rangnick tried to hang onto Carrick and McKenna on taking the job

always felt it a bit strange that both seemed desperate to leave. Carrick in particular seeing as he hadnt anything lined up.

Perhaps suggests he was done with this squad particularly after Ole's protection of them
You guys just love to gossip

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
What do you see in those 2 games? Tiki taka? Total football?
Players appeared to know what they were supposed to do on the pitch, the defence seemed tighter, i.e. a team.
We struggled against Chelsea to create any real good opportunities, but it still took a debatable penalty for Chelsea to score.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I’d actually not be too disappointed if ten Hag were to bring him back.
:nono:

We need to leave the failures of the past behind and move forward.
This would be like divorcing a wife who was a PITA, kicking her out of the house, then a year or 2 later, asking her to move back in.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
So weird that people pointing out how we had 3 good games under Carrick before he chose to leave is somehow a controversial thing to say.

city-puma

So weird that people pointing out how we had 3 good games under Carrick before he chose to leave is somehow a controversial thing to say.
For me, it’s not about controversial issue but a real disappointment that he was basically forced to leave due to the pressure from the media with a bunch of ridiculous pundits (many of them are our former players).

Sviken

We had 3 good results. I don't think we had good games. It was the same as anything I've seen from Ole.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What do you see in those 2 games? Tiki taka? Total football?
Some people seem to find it really hard that the club wants to move on. We have seen time and time again whenever a new manager/intertim came the players usually did well the first few games. It also happened under Ralf. The "good" games under Carrick very short time as an intertim shouldn't raise questions like "what if we kept him longer?". You would think after all the managers post SAF they would have learned something. There is no guarantee Carrick would have gotten the top 4 or that he would have done better than Ralf overall.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Some people seem to find it really hard that the club wants to move on. We have seen time and time again whenever a new manager/intertim came the players usually did well the first few games. It also happened under Ralf. The "good" games under Carrick very short time as an intertim shouldn't raise questions like "what if we kept him longer?". You would think after all the managers post SAF they would have learned something. There is no guarantee Carrick would have gotten the top 4 or that he would have done better than Ralf overall.
I could have given him the benefit of doubt if he just managed for those 3 games, but he wasn't even an unknown quantity. He's been with us for like 2.5 years under Ole and he just sits there looking lost all those times, and somehow in those 3 games he's SAF reincarnated.

No wonder we're in this mess, fans sees "functional" as a "Sign him up" sign

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

Carrick got us through those three games, we defended first half and then hit on the counter towards the second half of the second half and it worked, doesn’t mean he’s any kind of genius.
Just he saw our frailties that Ole maybe didn’t.

Son

Mmmm, bold statement.
I never saw United training, so I suppose you did, so can make these type of comments.
It's interesting that for three games with Carrick in charge, we looked a much better 'team', something that was lacking previously.
How is that a bold statement? The guy was a poor coach for the level we are aiming for.

That isn’t even a debate.

Teja

How is that a bold statement? The guy was a poor coach for the level we are aiming for.

That isn’t even a debate.
There's tactics and then there's the psychology - getting your team to play for you. I think Ralf failed pretty spectacularly at the latter. It's unclear that anyone can really succeed with the current lot - I think we'll be in for a lot of unrest even with Ten Hag.

Good opportunity to reflect on what happened when Arteta was in charge of Arsenal and how many ups and downs they needed to go through to get where they are now.

Mercurial

For me, it’s not about controversial issue but a real disappointment that he was basically forced to leave due to the pressure from the media with a bunch of ridiculous pundits (many of them are our former players).
Old player pundits are a bunch of sour 'Member Berries'

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
There's tactics and then there's the psychology - getting your team to play for you. I think Ralf failed pretty spectacularly at the latter. It's unclear that anyone can really succeed with the current lot - I think we'll be in for a lot of unrest even with Ten Hag.

Good opportunity to reflect on what happened when Arteta was in charge of Arsenal and how many ups and downs they needed to go through to get where they are now.
Ralf was always going to be at United for only several months. So that gives more power to the players. And after ETH was reported getting closer to United, they performed worse. I dont know but it seems to me like some players have given up.

Tarrou

I love that people genuinely think they know exactly how good a coach Carrick is :lol:

Thiagoal

I’m actually pleased that our form has been equally as bad as Ole’s under Ragnick. Our players have shown their true colours and many will be culled!

If Carrick had magicked up 4th place we would just be papering over some mighty cracks that would keep on causing our downfall!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I love that people genuinely think they know exactly how good a coach Carrick is :lol:
It's mental. If you extrapolate Ole's first few games here in the same way he's the second coming of Sacchi. :lol:

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
:nono:

We need to leave the failures of the past behind and move forward.
This would be like divorcing a wife who was a PITA, kicking her out of the house, then a year or 2 later, asking her to move back in.
I think it's your own fault if you marry bread.

Son

We overachieved last season most probably I will admit that. The problem was the direction our football was going in.

You saw as soon as we tried to play on the front foot this season we were found lacking. Ralf has found himself in tough circumstances rather than his own failings. The players end of the day know things are changing at the club and have been left to feel worthless by everyone at the club.

philnguyen1994

Worked as a pundit for West Ham vs Arsenal earlier (youtube.com/watch?v=uSz_iaIivV0), calling for Ramsdale to get sent off. I doubt he sees himself as a pundit long-term, probably just putting himself out there to remind clubs he's available for a job.

I can see him getting a Championship managerial gig next season. Maybe somewhere like Blackburn, safe enough from relegation, but a long way from the play-off, so willing to take risks on an unproven young manager.

Marcus

Carrick should have stayed on. With him and McKenna leaving, this left Ralf in a similar situation to Moyes (when he removed the entire coaching staff under Sir Alex). I don't think Ralf expected that.

Pronewbie

Peep
Carrick should have stayed on. With him and McKenna leaving, this left Ralf in a similar situation to Moyes (when he removed the entire coaching staff under Sir Alex). I don't think Ralf expected that.
The toxic fans ensured his only path was towards the exit door. But they will tell you that he's the one who decided to leave.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Imagine if they stayed and Rangnick continued the shit show, people would have certified them as non-league shit coaches.

choccy77

With are we digging up old crap from the past for?

What's done is done... a fresh start coming in a month.

Let's move forward and focus on the positive and bring fresh energy to this forum.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
2 inexperienced coaches < a whole team of experience. It’s not the same.Moyes also had to deal with Gill leaving and Woodward walking in to begin this clusterfeck. Honestly the one who should have stayed longer was Gill.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The toxic fans ensured his only path was towards the exit door. But they will tell you that he's the one who decided to leave.
And you know this how exactly? Did 'toxic fans' ensure Woodward stayed well past his welcome?

Honestly, the amount of reaching and hindsight analysis going on in this thread is ridiculous. Carrick was part of a failed regime.

If he felt he wasn't listened to, he should have left earlier. If he was, we were shit partly because of him.

Stop flogging a dead horse ffs.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
2 inexperienced coaches < a whole team of experience. It’s not the same.Moyes also had to deal with Gill leaving and Woodward walking in to begin this clusterfeck. Honestly the one who should have stayed longer was Gill.
I said that at the time, was a very bad decision

Revaulx

Good job we’ve got Chelsea fans on here having to point out what ought to be blindingly obvious :)

I do wonder whether Moyes would have been less inclined to sack everyone had he realised how flaky United were behind the scenes without SAF.

Pronewbie

Peep
And you know this how exactly? Did 'toxic fans' ensure Woodward stayed well past his welcome?

Honestly, the amount of reaching and hindsight analysis going on in this thread is ridiculous. Carrick was part of a failed regime.

If he felt he wasn't listened to, he should have left earlier. If he was, we were shit partly because of him.

Stop flogging a dead horse ffs.
Personality and values matter. Woodward is a shameless senior investment banker. I am merely empathising having been in such situations.

I’ve stayed consistent regarding Carrick and Rangnick right from the start. The toxicity and hysteria from United fans especially from the Goldbridge brigade left him with no real choice, and in the absence of quality replacements (post-Conte), the club’s handling of the matter has been a train-wreck. You don’t just replace the tracks wholesale while the train is running on it. Certainly not with lower grade ones, which is what hysterical fans were clamouring for. A more recent, current affairs example would be the gas situation in Europe.

I chanced up this thread and wasn’t the one who brought it up. I’ve been wrong too and commented retrospectively. Apologies if it isn’t your cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.