Michael Olise

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Left footed AWB is exactly how Malacia played for us, at least when he was doing well at the start of last season. He was aggressive and good with ball winning but had no end product going forward. After that he was error prone with the ball and worse than AWB - just not at leftback, where AWB brings nothing going forward and Malacia is obviously more comfortable.
To be fair, Malacia was adjusting to the league, hard to expect him to be expansive. He was a good defender and a secure passer to begin with but not very adventurous. It all started to go wrong when he was supposedly playing through the pain in his knee and he was no longer secure in possession and making defensive errors.

reddev3

Still don't think we should be spending £60m+ on him.

Ratcliffe said we should be looking for the next stars in a sense. If Olise was playing in Ligue 1 then he would be worth £40m tops. We shouldn't be spending the little money we have on someone who is unlikely to be fit for most of the season.
An extra 20 million to know for a fact he's prem proven and will hit the ground running seems like a good deal, we can't afford another Sancho/Anthony situation.

I really really want him, it reminds me of the Mahrez to city transfer.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
An extra 20 million to know for a fact he's prem proven and will hit the ground running seems like a good deal, we can't afford another Sancho/Anthony situation.

I really really wan't him, it reminds me of the Mahrez to city transfer.
Ye he’d by my first transfer signing. He’s easy to get aswell. Let’s see what INEOS are made off. Usually we’d pass this transfer as it was to obvious and easy and we’d spend 100m on someone who’s worse.

Rasmus_9

Ratcliffe said we should be looking for the next stars in a sense. If Olise was playing in Ligue 1 then he would be worth £40m tops. We shouldn't be spending the little money we have on someone who is unlikely to be fit for most of the season.
Is this the same Ligue 1 where Pepe went for over £70m? Top talents go for top dollar no matter what league nowadays (Pepe proved to not be a top talent also)

lex talionis

We'll likely have to pay to get rid of Antony for a while, and Sancho might fetch £50 million, so your figures could be right, but paying £10-£20 million more for Olise, than we get for Sancho and Antony combined seems a bit mad.
It’s a mad world United management has created for itself. We rightly blame the Glazers for most of this mess, but the executive team has been a shambles over the last decade and ten Hag himself bears responsibility for some daft buys.

A shame it’s come to this and I have my doubts that INEOS will be able to lift us up out of the mediocrity the Glazers have given United supporters.

criticalanalysis

To be fair, Malacia was adjusting to the league, hard to expect him to be expansive. He was a good defender and a secure passer to begin with but not very adventurous. It all started to go wrong when he was supposedly playing through the pain in his knee and he was no longer secure in possession and making defensive errors.
Yeah I was about to chime in there. To say Malacia played like a good left footed AWB is sort of true in terms of overall end product i.e solid defensively and not much attacking output but the Dutchmen is way more technical and comfortable/versatile in possession. In fact I was quite impressed at times last season. Admittedly, that period was relatively short, so his injury this season is so unfortunate as there was potential. Such a shame.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
We'll likely have to pay to get rid of Antony for a while, and Sancho might fetch £50 million, so your figures could be right, but paying £10-£20 million more for Olise, than we get for Sancho and Antony combined seems a bit mad.
I don't think it's crazy at all. It would also be 28 million off your wage bill each year. Olise you could probably pay 6 million per year or less. Although I think Sancho could be as good as Olise, he won't be at Man United. Plus Olise is younger.

The trouble for Man United imo isn't signing players but offloading some of the players who are on big salaries. If you can do that it creates a lot of maneuverability for signing new players. I'm pretty sure Ineos will stop the practice of paying huge wages anyway, which will free up a lot more money for transfer fees. Just your top 7 earning players are costing 100 million per year (Casemiro, Varane, Rashford, Martial, Mount, Bruno, Antony).

Oranges038

He's not really that injury prone. He played 26 pl games in 21/22 and 37 in 22/23. This season he's had a bit of a nightmare alright and only played 18 so far.

He's young and has had a few hamstring injuries in what are his first few years in the PL, a high intensity league and he's still growing and developing at this stage. That might be contributing factor.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah I was about to chime in there. To say Malacia played like a good left footed AWB is sort of true in terms of overall end product i.e solid defensively and not much attacking output but the Dutchmen is way more technical and comfortable/versatile in possession. In fact I was quite impressed at times last season. Admittedly, that period was relatively short, so his injury this season is so unfortunate as there was potential. Such a shame.
Same, I thought he was better than Shaw early in the season and then Shaw just rose to the challenge again and absolutely left him in his wake. It's a real shame the injury and set back has derailed his career, hopefully he can get back to some sort of fitness soon.

Abraxas

He's a talented player, that's for sure.

Significantly more talented than Antony, who he would be replacing.

But Antony isn't really a benchmark, considering how poor he is. I look at a player like Sancho and wonder is Olise really better than him? I'm not totally convinced he is but he might well be a better fit for the club and actually turn up and do his job. But it's hard to say, Crystal Palace to United is a different world and you never know how it will affect a player.

Certainly one you need the scouting to do their homework on. We know he can do good things in the league, yes, which is a start. But there's much more to it than that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yep
Weird seeing players with typical Nigerian names playing for country of birth( which is still fair)
Bukayo for England!

To make it worse, Eze doesn’t even play for England, and there’s a whole conversation that you and I could have without even needing to have it as to why he’d be better off long-term with Nigeria. At least Saka is even in the squad. The likes of Eze, Adarabioyo, Chukwuemeka should definitely be Eagles.

E-mal

Bukayo for England!

To make it worse, Eze doesn’t even play for England, and there’s a whole conversation that you and I could have without even needing to have it as to why he’d be better off long-term with Nigeria. At least Saka is even in the squad. The likes of Eze, Adarabioyo, Chukwuemeka should definitely be Eagles.
Absolutely! Madueke, Udogie, Karim Adeyemi- the list is endless

Musiala also qualifies for Nigeria, didn't know that!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Absolutely! Madueke, Udogie, Karim Adeyemi- the list is endless

Musiala also qualifies for Nigeria, didn't know that!
Everything except a proper central midfielder! We need one of those more than anything!

KjaAnd

I know I might end up looking stupid bu I still don't think he has the potential to be an elite winger. Most of his goals/assists/chances created seem to come from him cutting inside which he's obviousy extremely good at. However, I don't think he possesses the acceleration and pace to consistently beat his man to the goal line which makes him one-dimensional and - in theory - easy to defend against, once defenders figure him out.

Our team desperately needs pace and power. Spending £60 mio. on yet another RW who doesn't offer that (see Sancho, Antony, Amad), doesn't sit right with me.

Dazzmondo

I'm very sceptical of this move. He's talented of course, but not as talented as Sancho imo and his injury record is extremely worrying. If it was just 1 injury-laden season I would be somewhat open to it, but he's been consistently injured for years now and that's at Palace. We're far worse at handling injuries and we're potentially weakening our already limited squad depth on the wing. I feel similar to the way that I felt about the Antony transfer (though for different reasons).

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't think it's crazy at all. It would also be 28 million off your wage bill each year. Olise you could probably pay 6 million per year or less. Although I think Sancho could be as good as Olise, he won't be at Man United. Plus Olise is younger.

The trouble for Man United imo isn't signing players but offloading some of the players who are on big salaries. If you can do that it creates a lot of maneuverability for signing new players. I'm pretty sure Ineos will stop the practice of paying huge wages anyway, which will free up a lot more money for transfer fees. Just your top 7 earning players are costing 100 million per year (Casemiro, Varane, Rashford, Martial, Mount, Bruno, Antony).

It's a massive issue, and I'd imagine Antony will have to be some sort of loan, with us paying 75 % of his wages or something silly like that, we stand a chance of getting Sancho completely off the books, but we'll probably still owe Dortmund just about what they want to give us on the balance sheet. It wouldn't even be a shock if we ended up loaning him out again.

At least Eriksen, Varane, Martial, and Amrabat, are going to leave for sure, Casemiro maybe, but that won't get much in fees if anything.

I'd imagine the main big money in for tranafers out will be Greenwood, Wan Bissaka, and one of Maguire or Mctominay, and even then we'll have the media saying we should give the Greenwood money to charity.

So that's an awful lot players we need to replace with not alot of money coming in no matter how much we've saved on the wage bill, I just hope Ineos are well into it already.

Dazzmondo

Olise is in a different stratosphere to Sancho. He's actually performed well in the Premier League. Sancho never did.
Sancho's best seasons at Dortmund were far better than anything Olise has ever produced. Considering there are German teams in both the CL and Europa League finals and no English clubs to be seen, and Sancho's a key part of one of those CL finalist teams, there is nothing to suggest Olise is currently in a different stratosphere to Sancho. Maybe Olise will join and go on to be great, but all this comment shows is that you never watched Sancho in the Bundesliga.

Sancho isn't unique in failing to perform after joining Man Utd. Very good chance Olise would join him based on our transfer history.

Remember the geese

Sancho's best seasons at Dortmund were far better than anything Olise has ever produced. Considering there are German teams in both the CL and Europa League finals and no English clubs to be seen, and Sancho's a key part of one of those CL finalist teams, there is nothing to suggest Olise is currently in a different stratosphere to Sancho. Maybe Olise will join and go on to be great, but all this comment shows is that you never watched Sancho in the Bundesliga.

Sancho isn't unique in failing to perform after joining Man Utd. Very good chance Olise would join him based on our transfer history.
It doesn't matter what Sancho has done in the Bundesliga. He has never performed in England. Olise has. That's a pretty big deal.

As for your final paragraph, I have no doubts we could ruin Olise. No player is safe from our curse.

Dazzmondo

It doesn't matter what Sancho has done in the Bundesliga. He has never performed in England. Olise has. That's a pretty big deal.

As for your final paragraph, I have no doubts we could ruin Olise. No player is safe from our curse.
It's not really though because AWB, Mata, Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Mount, Eriksen, Maguire and Matic have all failed here despite performing for other clubs in England. Players like Andreas Pereira, Garner and Henderson have also performed in England after leaving Utd.

Who can you point to in our current squad that played well in England before we signed them that now plays well for us? Maybe Shaw at a push.

Remember the geese

It's not really though because AWB, Mata, Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Mount, Eriksen, Maguire and Matic have all failed here despite performing for other clubs in England. Players like Andreas Pereira, Garner and Henderson have also performed in England after leaving Utd.

Who can you point to in our current squad that played well in England before we signed them that now plays well for us? Maybe Shaw at a push.
So what you're saying is that it's pretty irrelevant who we sign. We could sign the best performing player in Germany or the best performing player in England. Both are just as likely to fail. I don't disagree with that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I mean, if your list were true, then you’d be on the money. In reality, most of those players did not fail here at all. Literally only Sanchez.

Abraxas

Olise is in a different stratosphere to Sancho. He's actually performed well in the Premier League. Sancho never did.
I'm not entirely convinced.

What you say is of course true around their performances in certain leagues, but Olise has only really started to look compelling this year. Before that he was looking good but not necessarily a must buy. Sancho's performance for Dortmund was very, very good, and poor league or not they're not a nothing club as they consistently demonstrate.

I don't think the talent levels are massively different, but I'd be hoping if we signed Olise some of the other attributes are entirely different.

The Irish Connection

Some absolutely wild takes in here :lol:
Sancho is better than Olise? My God.

On Olise, he is just as good if not better than Palmer who would cost 100m plus. I almost expect him to score every game at the moment. A release clause of 55m or so is a brilliant deal.
The only issue is the injury history.

Malone_Post

Impresses me everytime I see him play. He’s great to watch. For a 22 year old he’s not only got the talent but he seems very composed and is already producing good numbers in a relatively poor side. For the rumoured buyout clause he could be a very smart signing.

The thing that worries me though is his injury record this season has been really poor. The last thing we need is another injury prone player.

Posh Red

I'm not entirely convinced.

What you say is of course true around their performances in certain leagues, but Olise has only really started to look compelling this year. Before that he was looking good but not necessarily a must buy. Sancho's performance for Dortmund was very, very good, and poor league or not they're not a nothing club as they consistently demonstrate.

I don't think the talent levels are massively different, but I'd be hoping if we signed Olise some of the other attributes are entirely different.
It feels eerily similar to Mane at Southampton, to be honest. This guy has proved that he can impact the premier league.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
23/24Hamstring injury60 days8 games
22/23Hamstring injury135 days13 games

Buying another injury-prone player in a position that we have multiple players for, to further inhibit development of Amad? While we have plenty of more critical positions we have to fill like: 2CBs, a leftback, DMF or two, a striker.

Any ambitious club would also replace Onana before buying a winger

We should buy a new winger if we are selling Pellistri, Anthony, and Rashford, but we all know we will not sell anybody except Pellistri from those, and maybe will loan Amad, which is a huge mistake as well. And Olise's injury record would still be a concern.

Red00012

Recurring hamstring injuries are a worry but he’d fit in perfectly with all our crocks

The Irish Connection

Pre-United Sancho? Absolutely
Having watched Sancho back then, he always lacked directness and obviously thrived on being left in more space and with movement around him.
Olise has proven in a much tougher league and in an average side he can shine.

At the moment, Olise has something like 10 goals and 4 assists in 13 games I think. That ratio is better than Sanchos best season at Dortmund, again, in a weaker league but better team.

izec

People make it sound like he is injured for half the season :houllier:

He has an injury per year so far. That could have many reasons, but he is not injury prone.

We need to fix the medical team anyway. Injuries happen to any player in our squad, no matter the previous history. We should not buy obvious crocks, Olise is fine.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I really really want him, it reminds me of the Mahrez to city transfer.
Good shout. Im not totally sold on him but he has a better chance of making it. He’s doing it already