Michael Owen has always been a cringe monster

Chairman Steve

That video in the OP is hilarious as feck, old but gold to me :lol: Whatever happened to that ginger kid I wonder.

I totally misjudged Michael Owen as I thought hed make a very good pundit, since he started his racehorse stables whilst he was still playing and dedicated time to it, probably knowing the injuries he’d accumulated over the years would end his playing career early, and he wasn’t going to squander his fortune away like a lot of players do and he must have a decent amount of sense to plan his post playing career ahead like that, and I thought he’d be like this generations Mick Channon.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When I look back at Owen's career two moments stand out: One the goal against City in the 95th minute and him stamping on Peter Schmeichel. Whenever the former pops up, the latter inevitably follows and I can never really appreciate anything he did in a United shirt.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t think you should be using this as a derogatory term with a smiley. Normally, I just sigh when I see it, but there is absolutely no need for it here.
He does show certain traits, just listening to him I spot them because I have an uncle with autism. It was insensitive of me to use it with a laughing emoji though. Fair enough. Apologies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When I look back at Owen's career two moments stand out: One the goal against City in the 95th minute and him stamping on Peter Schmeichel. Whenever the former pops up, the latter inevitably follows and I can never really appreciate anything he did in a United shirt.
Yeah I don’t give a feck about his time at the club. Last minute winner was nice and the hat trick against Wolfsburg but nah, I’d rather reminisce over Bellion

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
He does show certain traits, just listening to him I spot them because I have an uncle with autism. It was insensitive of me to use it with a laughing emoji though. Fair enough. Apologies.
I’ve always thought the same thing about Owen. He seems very aspie.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
No problem mate, we all say things we shouldn’t and I actually really appreciate you listening and taking it on board instead of firing back defensively. Thanks for that.

Red Stone

"Most professional sports people" having "limited appeal" compared to Michael Owen is the most delusional bit in this, and that's really saying something.

By the way, if I ever demand that anyone refer to me as "Clean & Fresh" you all have permission to shoot me in the face.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We all laugh at the brand values dossier but didn't he sign for us the year his people were putting that out?

:lol:

Needham

We all laugh at the brand values dossier but didn't he sign for us the year his people were putting that out?

We bought straight into it. Easy to picture the Glazers thumbing the Michael Owen brochure while in a happy endings beachside bazoomikar. People on here act as if the very engine of Manchester United's commercial thrust doesn't mirror this brand exclaiming bullshit. It does, all over America and Asia.

Trequarista10

I always feel Owen is a bit hard done by with the Southall video. My reasoning is surely he was instructed by the director/producer to celebrate like it was competitive? The fact they didn't clip out Southall's comment properly stitches Owen up.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I always feel Owen is a bit hard done by with the Southall video. My reasoning is surely he was instructed by the director/producer to celebrate like it was competitive? The fact they didn't clip out Southall's comment properly stitches Owen up.
He was a pretty young lad himself at the time and I’m sure he thought it was harmless banter but he’s so clueless and lacking in self awareness that it didn’t cross his mind that he’d look like an arsehole millionaire bullying a 13 year old on national TV.

Trequarista10

He was a pretty young lad himself at the time and I’m sure he thought it was harmless banter but he’s so clueless and lacking in self awareness that it didn’t cross his mind that he’d look like an arsehole millionaire bullying a 13 year old on national TV.
I dunno, I think perhaps it's the people watching who are overly critical who lack empathy here. I'd have to watch the whole show to get an understanding of the tone/format though to get a better idea. Either way it's not bullying, that's far too dramatic.

hubbuh

This is the Michael Owen version of James Brown's "cos I feel good, I look good, I smell good and I make love good".
I dunno, I think perhaps it's the people watching who are overly critical who lack empathy here. I'd have to watch the whole show to get an understanding of the tone/format though to get a better idea. Either way it's not bullying, that's far too dramatic.
Why do the people being being critical of Owen for that video lack empathy?

snk123

It was funny at that time as well. We had a thread going with this brochure and he ended up signing for us

Trequarista10

Why do the people being being critical of Owen for that video lack empathy?
Refer to my initial post. Numerous people diagnosing Owen from one short clip, without making the effort to at least try and put the interaction from the clip into context.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Refer to my initial post. Numerous people diagnosing Owen from one short clip, without making the effort to at least try and put the interaction from the clip into context.
Can’t speak for other people but I believe Owen is on the spectrum based on what I’ve seen during 20 years of him being a public figure, rather than that one short clip.

:lol: to be fair, there's an argument against almost every one of those points.
at the time, you could at least have argued ‘young’ was a reasonable description, still not a value.

As someone else said, looks like a brainstorm.

fit and healthy :lol:

charismatic :lol:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Fergie bought him solely to troll Liverpool fans. That’s what I like to believe. It worked when he lifted the trophy that Gerrard never did and made them hate their former boy wonder even more but at what cost? AT WHAT COST?

No fan of any club he’s ever played for likes him. All you need to know.

Trequarista10

Can’t speak for other people but I believe Owen is on the spectrum based on what I’ve seen during 20 years of him being a public figure, rather than that one short clip.
I am referring to the reactions to the one clip. I think Owen is different to the "typical" footballer but probably also more "typical" of the average person than the average footballer is.

GoldTrafford99

A monster indeed. :cool:

It has annoyed me immensely how little lauding Ryan Giggs got for threading that pass... It was a BRILLIANT pass.... never hear anybody talk about it. Giggs did this regularly at the tail end of his career when playing in central midfield. His spray passing never got any credit.

SwedishFish

The funniest thing about Michael Owen is how he really thought he could go to United to fulfill his heart's desire of winning the Premier League and then after retiring go back to be a Liverpool ambassador like nothing ever happened.

Gets booed when he turns out for the Liverpool legends team and blames it all on online trolls. How utterly deluded can you be? Man must have some type of diagnosis.

Zen86

Something new every time.

"Most professional sports people have limited appeal."

Is there a full pdf of this brochure available? Must be an absolute goldmine.
It must be around somewhere, there were quite a few parody editions as you can imagine.

hubbuh

I am referring to the reactions to the one clip. I think Owen is different to the "typical" footballer but probably also more "typical" of the average person than the average footballer is.
Is the average person socially inept?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ive not come across many people in my life, who as an adult would act the way Owen does in that clip with a 13 year old kid. Do I think the producer asked him to really go to town on the kid, belittle him, laugh at him, make him feel small stupid and insignificant?......No I don’t. It makes it a very difficult watch.

Zlatattack

I remember a great goal against Argentina.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
How do you think that kid felt whilst that was being filmed, 13 years old? Compare that to how Owen felt ridiculing the poor lad. Thank god Southall was there because it could’ve gotten worse.

You talk about empathy for a millionaire footballer, ok sure, what about the 13 year old lad....for all you know he could’ve been the subject of ridicule all his life through school. This day could’ve been his big moment and something he’d looked forward to for months. His chance to show people he was more than he’d been accepted as.

I get that there’s empathy and understanding towards everyone, Owen seems to me to be very low on social skills, lacking self-awareness and totally self absorbed, he almost certainly has some form of personality disorder. It’s quite likely he was given some direction and took it in the way he understood it. He’s the result of his own life experiences, that’s probably not his fault, as a talented child it’s possible he was the centre of his own, his social groups and his parents universe, and that football was the only other real life experience he had.

That being said this clip could destroy one of the participants and it isn’t Micheal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I remember a great goal against Argentina.
Most memorable thing from that game was that Beckham got sent off and the English press started treating him like public enemy no1.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Remember when he said he'd only ever watched 2 movies in his entire life? Certified mentalist.