Michael Schumacher | No Updates

lem8sh

That's more positive isn't it, in that they induced it while carrying out the surgery? It kind of reminds me of Senna's death. I remember seeing on ceefax he was airlifted to hospital but then it accelerated quickly and the next thing he was dead.
It would be more positive, I'd imagine the induced coma would be carried out in order to aid control of ventilation. This story has escalated quickly is right, from non life threatening to this in a matter of hours is worrying.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
I believe he's had a cerebral haemorhage. Depending on where it is could have a huge bearing on whether he makes it or not.

My dear old Mum had one and sadly she didn't make it. :(

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
That's more positive isn't it, in that they induced it while carrying out the surgery? It kind of reminds me of Senna's death. I remember seeing on ceefax he was airlifted to hospital but then it accelerated quickly and the next thing he was dead.

Tupac was medically induced. I'm not sure how much it means. I'm sure it depends on so many factors the only thing you can say is it's pretty damn bad.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Tupac was medically induced. I'm not sure how much it means. I'm sure it depends on so many factors the only thing you can say is it's pretty damn bad.

I guess we are just hoping for the best. Would be said to see such a sporting great die so young.

Sorry to hear that MUM, I guess brain injuries are a major and unpleasant lottery.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
The Guardian already has a weird article, very nearly referring to him in the past. It isn't looking good.

Newspapers are after clicks these days. Wouldn't pay too much attention unless something is official.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
I think they are usually medically induced when they need to reduce swelling on the brain.

I guess we are just hoping for the best. Would be said to see such a sporting great die so young.

Sorry to hear that MUM, I guess brain injuries are a major and unpleasant lottery.
Thanks Jippy.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
My dad had several strokes, came through most of them OK, but eventually you could see his old self being chipped away until eventually a big one killed him. I kind of know where you are coming from MUM. It is horrible to witness, having to pretend to them that everything is OK.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Fingers crossed for him, really hoping he pulls through this, would be absolutely awful for the family to have this after him making it unscathed through all those years of racing.

Also goes to show how serious head injuries are and how quick they progress, many of us were saying this around the time of the footballers having a few and playing on and laughed at us when we said you can't be too careful.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

That was 17 years ago though and for different reasons. Tupac kept trying to move or get out of bed, apparently. For brain injuries, it's pretty common practice as far as I know. It allows the doctors to deal with the inevitable swelling of the brain, etc, without worrying about the patient being conscious or moving. It will help that Schumacher is in great physical shape so his body can handle the trauma better. I have a friend who was in a serious car accident and was kept in a coma for almost a week, if I remember correctly, because of brain swelling.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Absolutely worshipped this guy as a kid, really hope he pulls through :(

Amir

Absolutely hated the guy when I was a kid, I liked Damon Hill, but that's changed over the years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Absolutely hated the guy when I was a kid, I liked Damon Hill, but that's changed over the years.
Aye, me too. Same with Hendry.

Once they get a bit older and aren't such a threat to your interests anymore you are able to take a step back and have nothing but pure admiration for the incredible skill and dedication they showed to their sport.

I used to hate seeing him up on the podium and had an irrational dislike for him but all that's gone and I really hope he pulls through :( He's a sporting legend, what Jordan is to Basketball or Woods to golf.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
A spokesman for the hospital said: "Michael Schumacher was the victim of very serious trauma. He was very agitated when he arrived and we decided he was in a critical situation and he quickly went into a coma."The neurosurgical treatment he received brought us quite a lot of information. We had to operate urgently to release some pressure in his head. Unfortunately, he has some lesions within his brain."

Professor Jean-Francois Payen added: "I'd say this accident happened in the right place because he was taken into hospital immediately and operated on as soon as he arrived, this meant his state is critical and he is still in a coma and he will be kept in a coma.
"Everything that needed to be done has been done at the moment we can't really say when he will recover, we cannot answer this yet."
: "We can say he is fighting for his life. We judge him to be in a very serious situation. We cannot tell what the outcome will be yet. We are working hour-by-hour but it's too early to say what is going to happen and to have a prognosis.
"We think his helmet did help, without a helmet he wouldn't be here now." "We are in constant contact with his family that are by his bedside. At this moment we don't see he is going to need a second operation." "We have very good medical procedures and we did actually treat him very quickly and give him what he needed very quickly."

Dr Stephan Chabardes said: "The helmet wasn't enough to protect him completely but it really did help. We see a lot of head injuries like this."

Professor Stéphane Chabarde said: "I came here not in terms of a doctor but as a friend. I'd like to thank everyone for the support and the excellent medical team who treated him so well.
"I am very worried just like his family, we are very worried about his condition. the doctors won't tell you more because they can't tell you more, they are working hour by hour.
"This kind of accident, luckily he's 45 which is better than if you were older."

A consultant added: "He is under local anaesthetic at the moment to reduce any stimulus. It was quite a big trauma to the head.
"What we observed initially was an impact to the right side of the head. He was agitated when he came in. He had some spontaneous movements and wasn't in a normal state when he came in."

MoneyMay

First off, this press conference was rather more reassuring than what I expected. I’ll admit that I feared an announcement of a second operation for persistently elevated intracranial pressure (ICP), and the fact that that’s not been needed is good.

So what do we know now? We know that besides keeping Michael deeply asleep, they’ve also slightly lowered his body temperature. This is part of the strategy to optimise the brain’s metabolic state. Along with increasing the delivery of “good stuff” to the brain, reducing the temperature reduces the brain’s need for stuff. Therefore the supply:consumption relation is rendered more favorable.

We’ve’ been told that Michael has bilateral lesions. This mean the brain is wounded in both hemispheres. That shouldn’t surprise us. This was a hard hit. What kind of “lesions”? While we haven’t been told exactly, we can assume a mix of three types. First, the hematoma itself. This is a collection of blood that can be evacuated. That’s been done, and Michael will be examined and scanned regularly in order to detect the formation of any new hematomas, or re-accumulation of the original one.

Next are contusions. These are basically black-and-blue marks in the brain. They result from blunt forces, and consist of areas of swelling and blood that’s seeped out of the vessels into the tissues – just like when you hit your arm. In the brain, as elsewhere, that blood gets absorbed, and the damage heals. Usually fine, but sometimes leaving small cavities behind.

The third type of lesions are at the microscopic level. They consist of damage to the bundles of “cables” (axons) connecting groups of brain cells. This type of damage isn’t readily visible using standard imaging, but is often associated with “poor neurological outcome”. These lesions aren’t treated specifically; rather, they are managed by classic neuro intensive care principles – maximise brain happiness and avoid brain unhappiness.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is a long winded way of saying he doesn't know the extent of his injuries so I wouldn't read too much in to it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He doesn't seem to have any specific knowledge about this case. He has better background that the rest of us but I wouldn't be reassured particularly.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
So no update since this morning's press conference, then?

Is that something to be concerned about?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Euronews:

There was shock and sympathy in the French Alpine ski resort of Meribel where German former racing driver Michael Schumacher fell and banged his head on a rock. He was wearing a helmet and, by all accounts, skiing well within his capabilities. The accident was widely seen as pure bad luck. The resort’s director, Olivier Simonin, said where Schumacher was skiing – though not an official trail – was not a particularly difficult area, but there could have been rocks hidden by an earlier snow fall.

Philippe Quincy, the local public prosecutor, told Reuters an inquiry had been launched on Sunday to identify the causes of the accident. Initial findings indicated the blow was so hard that Schumacher’s helmet had shattered. "We know that the accident took place in an off-piste zone where rocks were partly or totally hidden by snow", Quincy said, adding that Schumacher had likely been thrown off balance by one of them.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Not necessarily. These days we want news faster and faster but forget that these recoveries can take days and weeks. He could be in the same condition for a while which isn't the worst thing. It won't stop people speculating though.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Injuries to the brain are the scariest for me. We will not know how he is until/if he wakes up. I hope he pulls through, I now this so cliché but situations like this remind us how fleeting life is. I wasn't particularly emotional about the situation but writing this Michael Schumacher...

My prayer's go out to him.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

I think the hospital have said they aren't releasing any more statements until tomorrow, so I'm taking no news as good news at the moment.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Us F1 fans always think their heroes are invincible and we can only hope he pulls through. Lots going in his favour...age, fitness, helmet, super fast treatment, experts on hand...but the next 48 hours are crucial. When (not if) he comes round I hope the accident doesn't leave him incapacitated in any way...that would be difficult for him to live with.

I love skiing and have never worn a helmet but will do in future and please, if any of you guys are skiing this winter, take Schumi's accident as a reminder to wear a helmet!