Gaming Microsoft buys Zenimax | 9th March: Bethesda games officially joins Microsoft. Unlucky Afro.

DavelinaJolie

Can see them being timed exclusives perhaps - and certainly on Game Pass for 'free' as Phil has said - but not excluding Playstation completely. They paid over 2 billion for Minecraft but kept it multi platform. No way are they spending 7 billion and then not keeping it multi platform either - they don't exactly need the money - but they aren't going to throw it away either.

In a few years though? Yeah then they will go exclsuive.
Minecraft was already on other platforms. Minecraft Dungeons, however, got a multiplat release.

They'll honour existing contracts, then all bets are off.

Bojan11

Minecraft was already on other platforms. Minecraft Dungeons, however, got a multiplat release.

They'll honour existing contracts, then all bets are off.
It will be similar to Obsidian. They made Outer worlds on PS as they were obliged to. But after that all their games are Xbox or PC only.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
This would have been more impactful a decade a go. Bethesda have been shit since Skyrim, DOOM notwithstanding.
Be interested to see if they get Obsidian working on Fallout. And whether it impacts Avowed.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There's a reason they released the news the day before Xbox pre-orders open. They're hoping for the reactionaries to cancel PS5 and go for Xbox.
Nothing is coming exclusively to Xbox any time soon so I’d be surprised if many people switched from PS5 to Xbox on the basis of this news.
If some of these games go exclusive in the future though then I’m 99% sure to pick up an Xbox in the future.

Bojan11

Be interested to see if they get Obsidian working on Fallout. And whether it impacts Avowed.
That should be coming. These sort of takeovers have been planned for months. Crazy how MS now have quite a few RPG games after having zero.

BristolRuss

Absolutely no coincidence this was announced the day before the new Xbox's go on sale. This will 100% shift a ton of consoles this generation if those franchises are exclusive.

Rooney1987

That should be coming. These sort of takeovers have been planned for months. Crazy how MS now have quite a few RPG games after having zero.
See I do think after reading windows central we see TES 6, Starcraft and maybe Fallout 5 will be on PS but Fallout New Vargas 2 will be a Xbox exclusive.

Alock1

And I assume all back catalogue will be coming to gamepass, so will benefit almost immediately (fingers crossed)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Absolutely no coincidence this was announced the day before the new Xbox's go on sale. This will 100% shift a ton of consoles this generation if those franchises are exclusive.
I bet whoever has been involved with setting this up is sitting back with their hands behind their head cackling right now

EwanI Ted

Fallout is every bit as big as Elder Scrolls; Fallout 4 broke all sorts of records and initially sold better than Skyrim did.

Of course, Bethesda wasted a lot of that hype and goodwill with Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 being less than stellar.
Yeah Fallout is a big title for sure, Doom is no small matter either. But Skyrim is one of the biggest sellers in history, there’s only a handful of bigger IPs out there. In terms of single platform IPs, I’d guess there’s only the mario and Zelda games that have sold more. So if TES goes single platform, that’s huge.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
That's a liver punch to Playstation.

I've only ever had Playstations since PS1 and if this has given me a conundrum on which to get you can be sure it's done the same to others. I wasn't getting it at launch anyway so I get to wait a while and see how it plays out.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Skyrim is easily my most played game and I just love the elder scrolls series so will be pretty gutted if it’s only on Xbox but then again Microsoft would have done what they needed too as I’d deffo get one.
There is no way they will go XBOX only - PC versions are a certainty.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Until there's actually games I want to play then I won't buy an Xbox. But in the future I could see myself getting one to play a new TES I guess.

Alock1

It's huge for Gamepass. As I've been saying, it's clear they're trying to bolster gamepass with third party licences and great value to get people bought in and prop up the platform. The focus will be to build first party exclusives and lock people in with their version of netflix originals.

This does that. Adding the back catalogue of these studios will be a nice start, but with the roster of first-party studios they now have, I can see Gamepass becoming massive - regardless of Xbox, PC or streaming to phone/smart tv/stick - whatever.

Siorac

That's a liver punch to Playstation.

I've only ever had Playstations since PS1 and if this has given me a conundrum on which to get you can be sure it's done the same to others. I wasn't getting it at launch anyway so I get to wait a while and see how it plays out.
It'll be at least a couple of years before this acquisition really makes an impact. Obsidian was bought by Microsoft in 2018 and they've yet to release a "Microsoft exclusive" since then as the Outer Worlds had an existing publishing contract. The big hitters (Elder Scrolls VI, a new Fallout, Starfield) are still very much in a "wait and see" stage, no new Doom or Wolfenstein game is even rumoured to be on the horizon as far as I know. So those who definitely wanted a PS5 at launch shouldn't change their minds about it.

It's a huge long-term play from Microsoft though. As others have said, this could elevate Gamepass quite a bit.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's huge for Gamepass. As I've been saying, it's clear they're trying to bolster gamepass with third party licences and great value to get people bought in and prop up the platform. The focus will be to build first party exclusives and lock people in with their version of netflix originals.

This does that. Adding the back catalogue of these studios will be a nice start, but with the roster of first-party studios they now have, I can see Gamepass becoming massive - regardless of Xbox, PC or streaming to phone/smart tv/stick - whatever.
But aren’t they already losing money with Gamepass? Surely there comes a point when something has to give because you surely can’t keep absorbing the costs of big budget titles like Elder Scrolls and €8bn acquisitions of game studios through Gamepass alone?

Alock1

It is my thread, my rules. Carry on @VeevaVee.

@Alock1 what’s the next big megaton as you work for them?
When I said to somebody yesterday that xbox still haven't done enough to convince people to buy in at launch, i was told 'maybe we can before tuesday'...

Looking forward to elvis posting variations of this in multiple playstation threads in the coming week

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It'll be at least a couple of years before this acquisition really makes an impact. Obsidian was bought by Microsoft in 2018 and they've yet to release a "Microsoft exclusive" since then as the Outer Worlds had an existing publishing contract. The big hitters (Elder Scrolls VI, a new Fallout, Starfield) are still very much in a "wait and see" stage, no new Doom or Wolfenstein game is even rumoured to be on the horizon as far as I know. So those who definitely wanted a PS5 at launch shouldn't change their minds about it.

It's a huge long-term play from Microsoft though. As others have said, this could elevate Gamepass quite a bit.
Yeah this is where I stand with it. No need to rush and buy an Xbox just yet, but certainly looking more tempting going forward. Be interested to see if and how Sony respond.

Alock1

Phil Spencer was saying in an interview not long ago that they need to be careful not to confuse consumers by having Xbox games on other platforms and that there'd be less collaboration than before (inc like Banjo in Smash Bros)

They want exclusives for game pass. It's not about selling xbox consoles (it is in the short term, as they can then convert you into gamepass but that's the long term...)

I reckon a lot of people in here who would claim to never buy an xbox will end up with a Gamepass sub in 5 years time that they stream to their smart TV or whatever else in order to play these games.

Bojan11

But aren’t they already losing money with Gamepass? Surely there comes a point when something has to give because you surely can’t keep absorbing the costs of big budget titles like Elder Scrolls and €8bn acquisitions of game studios through Gamepass alone?
Netflix lost money at the start too. It’s a long term game for them. One of the biggest problem with MS has been a lack of variation in their games. Now they have all these games, Ori, Obsidian games, Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable and plenty more.

Now all they need to do is buy a big Japanese studio. Fromsoftware would piss a lot of Sony fans.

Alock1

Yeah this is where I stand with it. No need to rush and buy an Xbox just yet, but certainly looking more tempting going forward. Be interested to see if and how Sony respond.
Can they respond? They just don't have the cash to play with do they.

Playstation will still go strong, and when they eventually move to focussing on a subscription (it will happen) then they'll still likely be market leader globally just through loyalty and back cat.

Alock1

Netflix lost money at the start too. It’s a long term game for them. One of the biggest problem with MS has been a lack of variation in their games. Now they have all these games, Ori, Obsidian games, Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable and plenty more.

Now all they need to do is buy a big Japanese studio. Fromsoftware would piss a lot of Sony fans.
Netflix are still losing money, right? Amazon still don't turn a profit. It's all just reinvested to get revenue growth / numbers up.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Recent Bethesda games weren’t that great until modded heavily; I’d never buy the next TES or Fallout on console.

They haven’t quite gone the way of Bioware yet, but Bethesda has lost some of their luster.

Bojan11

Sony will buy more studios. But it won’t be the scale of this. Someone like Bluepoint would be a good acquisition.

I don’t think they need to respond anyway.

Bojan11

Netflix are still losing money, right? Amazon still don't turn a profit. It's all just reinvested to get revenue growth / numbers up.
Yeah and Netflix over the years for me has got better because the shows made by them are the ones I want to watch. They stopped relying on third party too much. They needed to step up as too many sub services were coming and they needed their own produced content.

This is the long term plan for MS too. Drop one big hitter on game pass every few months or even month.