Gaming Microsoft buys Zenimax | 9th March: Bethesda games officially joins Microsoft. Unlucky Afro.

DavelinaJolie

Wow, this could actually be pretty big if Bethesda had made a decent RPG in the last 10 years. Thank god CD Projekt has made them irrelevant. Makes me think I'm going to need to upgrade my PC as well as getting a PS5 now, not enough to tempt me to get an Xbox unfortunately.
If I was Xbox, and if I had more money lying around, I'd go buy FromSoftware and CDPR too.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Think they will continue to do that. I can see new IP being xbox only - but established franchises still being on PS.

Look at Minecraft. They will want all of the money to recoup the cost of purchase! At least for a while...
Minecraft was already on everything though, except maybe switch.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It’s bad for consumers, like all exclusivity. But feck it, I’ve heard enough from the PS spiceboys over the years about their exclusives. I hope they don’t get a sniff :lol:
How the turntables

During the 360 era it was Xbox with the exclusives. How I enjoyed not playing the GTA IV expansions at the time.

Bojan11

If I was Xbox, and if I had more money lying around, I'd go buy FromSoftware and CDPR too.
They need a big Japanese studio or publisher. They should just buy the rights to Konami games. Capcom would be huge also.

Tiber

Insomniac was a big buy for Sony and that cost 229 million. How can they compete when MS throws down 7 billion?

Highly doubt they could even afford Take Two or EA if they tried.

I can still play Fallout and Elder Scrolls on PC as usual, but this is stunning news.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Insomniac was a big buy for Sony and that cost 229 million. How can they compete when MS throws down 7 billion?

Highly doubt they could even afford Take Two or EA if they tried.

I can still play Fallout and Elder Scrolls on PC as usual, but this is stunning news.
Take Two would cost much, much more than Zenimax. Their net revenue for this year just gone alone is about $3bn.

Bojan11

Buying EA would be pointless considering the contract for Fifa states it needs to be on every format possible.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
So, @PS5 pre-orderers..

What % chance was there before this announcement of you buying an XSS/XSX in next 5 years Vs now, post announcement

Same question with getting a gamepass sub and streaming

Obviously everybody is going to wait and see. But be interested to hear your gut thoughts on the impact it will have on you down the line (once the likes of a TES or Fallout release and a couple of the B tier titles)

@Damien @afrocentricity @esmufc07 @Leg-End

Tiber

Okay...so what games are we talking about? Elder Scrolls? Fallout?
Those are the two that matter to me. They also own doom, dishonoured and some other stuff.

MS are now publishing two Ps5 launch exclusives

Now that MS own Obsidian and Bethesda we might get New Vegas 2. Bethesda screwed Obsidian out of a huge amount of money because of a review site score, that relationship will be interesting

Damien

Staff
So, @PS5 pre-orderers..

What % chance was there before this announcement of you buying an XSS/XSX in next 5 years Vs now, post announcement

Obviously everybody is going to wait and see. But be interested to hear your gut thoughts on the impact it will have on you down the line (once the likes of a TES or Fallout release and a couple of the B tier titles)

Editing tags in don't alert the people, by the way.

Doesn't affect my chances at all. Of all the games Zenimax have, I've only played ESO, Fallout 4 and Skyrim and weren't that interested in them to be honest.

If they had purchased Sega or Square Enix, then yeah, there'd be a problem as I play much more of their games.

Adamsk7

What’s interesting is that two Bethesda titles are supposed to be PS exclusives - Deathloop and Ghostwire. Wonder what happens there?

Tiber

So, @PS5 pre-orderers..

I have never owned an Xbox. This doesn't change a lot for me because I have always played the likes of Fallout on PC anyway so it wouldn't push me to buy an Xbox.

But it's certainly a blow for Sony to be cut off from an entire publisher.

Bojan11

What’s interesting is that two Bethesda titles are supposed to be PS exclusives - Deathloop and Ghostwire. Wonder what happens there?
Still coming as normal. Contracts already have been signed for those and MS cannot stop it.

DavelinaJolie

Nothing. Contracts will need to be honoured. You just might get a shiny Xbox/MS logo on bootup.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Pretty huge move, I wonder if Phil "I don't like exclusives" Spencer will stick by his principles now they have the likes of Doom and The Elder Scrolls in their library :wenger:

Bojan11

Pretty huge move, I wonder if Phil "I don't like exclusives" Spencer will stick by his principles now they have the likes of Doom and The Elder Scrolls in their library :wenger:
Games aren’t exclusive though. You can buy a PC to play them. They will be on steam, epic store etc.

Alock1

So, @PS5 pre-orderers..

@afrocentricity @esmufc07 @Leg-End

Alock1

Acquisition won't be complete until second half of 2021 fiscal year, so probably not.
Some things will of course start happening sooner. Hopefully addition to game pass is in time for X launch.

Tiber

At this rate maybe Amazon stops dicking around with its own studios and just buys PlayStation for 30 billion.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
So, @PS5 pre-orderers..

It's gone from I may pick up one to probably 99% I will pick up one if TES is exclusive. Will just pick up a series S, I'd imagine by the time I do the console will be c.£200 so nothing too much really.

Tiber

It's gone from I may pick up one to probably 99% I will pick up one if TES is exclusive. Will just pick up a series S, I'd imagine by the time I do the console will be c.£200 so nothing too much really.
Elder Scrolls is supposedly five or six years away and last I heard Fallout isn't even in development.

Starfield might end up being great though

Alock1

Only '£200 so nothing too much really'

Alright mate no need to brag

Kaos

As a PC gamer this makes no difference to me.

Still, I'm hopeful this means that M$ give Bethesda a much needed kick up the arse, their development studio has put out some absolute garbage in recent years. Broken open world games running on the same archaic 20 year old engine and constant Skyrim remakes. Bonus if they also skyrocket Todd Howard into space, who's essentially become the Neo Peter Molyneux.

Also hoping this means Microsoft will let Obisidian have another crack at Fallout. New Vegas still remains my favourite Fallout game to date.

Mind you it could also go tits-up and we end up with another Rare situation.

Leg-End

It doesn’t change anything in the short term, I was 100% likely to get an X at some point down the line.

I would have definitely got the likes of TES and Fallout on PS5 because as much as I’m too old to care about console wars anymore it’s still my platform of choice.

It’s a big move from MS and the value of game pass is undeniable. But we probably aren’t going to see anything significant from this deal for me personally until at least 2022. TES exclusive is a system seller to me though.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Games aren’t exclusive though. You can buy a PC to play them. They will be on steam, epic store etc.
I think the PS5 will be my last indulgent purchase for a good while now as I have a kid on the way, though it'll probably be about 5 by the time Bethesda release a new elder Scrolls anyway :D

Tiber

Take Two would cost much, much more than Zenimax. Their net revenue for this year just gone alone is about $3bn.

Warner Bros is supposed to be for sale, but can't see that being cheap either.

CK Projekt is an interesting company which Sony might be able to afford, but it's hard to see Sony wanting to gett into the PC Stores and PC Publishing which would come along with it.

Epic and a load of the other 'independent' studies seem to be owned by China these days so they are a non-starter.

Hell of a move MS, it's been a while since Bill and Co swung their financial **** around in the game industry, but buying a whole publisher feels like something only MS could do. Well MS, Google or Amazon, but Amazon's move into gaming has been pretty low key aside from buying Twitch, and Stadia seems like a disaster.

Damien

Staff
@Alock1 but I would have to say, if at some point they have it so all I'd need to do is subscribe to Game Pass and can play the games through the cloud (no console needed) with DS4/5 compatible and it'd stream on my Mac, I'd probably go for it. Not asking for much. :angel:

Alock1

@Alock1 but I would have to say, if at some point they have it so all I'd need to do is subscribe to Game Pass and can play the games through the cloud (no console needed) with DS4/5 compatible and it'd stream on my Mac, I'd probably go for it. Not asking for much. :angel:
That will be included. You can already use DS4 bluetoothed to Android phone. Only a matter of time until it's streamable to browsers (hopefully they don't force IE/Edge at first )

Doesn't seem like much at all. I'd say it's an absolute certainty.

Cole9

Interesting, very interesting. This deal probably won't bring to fruition any big exclusives for 2-3 years though, so this doesn't really affect my choice on whether to get PS5 or XSX. Still undecided at the moment.

Reiver

Wow, this is massive. I was firmly in the PS5 camp but this could change things. Didn't like Fallout 4 but loved 3 and New Vegas. TES is one of my favourite series. Hope TES continues on Playstation.
Huge move by Microsoft, well played.