Mike Keegan Complains About Andy Mitten Receiving Press Pass: Calls Him a 'Fanzine Writer'

Charlie Foley

Didn't see a thread on this on here. (searched both names, found nothing, so I already have more journalistic integrity than Mike Keegan. Anyway)

This has been all over my Twitter today. Mike Keegan wrote an 'article' for the Daily Heil questioning why Andy Mitten (he doesn't name him, but it's evident who he's talking about) received a press pass. In the article, he mentioned that The National is an Abu Dhabi-based paper, and that Mitten 'just happens' to write a United fanzine (Mitten has been the UWS editor since 1989), not mentioning that Mitten writes for a number of publications including the Athletic. United claimed that press passes, limited in number, were allocated due to a UEFA ballot; it's not clear whether this was the case or not.

Upon receiving pushback, Keegan claimed that it had nothing to do with Mitten personally (despite taking a bit of a dig at him) but the ownership of the National (?).

Other journalists and fans have supported Mitten, Sid Lowe pointing out that Daily Mail have been more than happy to lift Mitten's work in the past:

Mitten's response:

( Copied from a post below: In summary, Mitten got a press pass and the Daily Mail guy didn't, so the Daily Mail guy (Keegan) is throwing his toys out of the pram and is implying that because Mitten runs a fanzine and/or writes for a foreign-owned paper at times, he's not a 'proper' journalist, or at least less of one than someone like Keegan, who writes for a paper that was more than happy to lift Andy Mitten exclusives in the not too distant past. )

Last edited:

Charlie Foley

I included more tweets than a Fridge Chutney League One transfers post and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Oops, I wonder if that's some sort of career suicide. He's made a lot of enemies here.

GJNJ

He must have realised this would have made him look like a tit.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I don’t really get the story, but it comes across as Keegan being a dick and he’s been rightly called out for it

Nick7

Not gonna click through to the mail, but pretty crappy stuff from Keegan.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Some bemusement on the twitter comments as to what Andy had done to upset the guy, seeing as he is neither an immigrant nor on benefits.

Charlie Foley

I have no idea what this even is about?
Oops. In summary, Mitten got a press pass and the Daily Mail guy didn't, so the Daily Mail guy (Keegan) is throwing his toys out of the pram and is implying that because Mitten runs a fanzine and/or writes for a foreign-owned paper at times, he's not a 'proper' journalist, or at least less of one than someone like Keegan, who writes for a paper that was more than happy to lift Andy Mitten exclusives in the not too distant past.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don’t really get the story, but it comes across as Keegan being a dick and he’s been rightly called out for it
Pretty much. He thought he was being cryptic but obviously wasn't. He said in an obvious enough way, that Andy Mitten shouldn't get a press pass because he only writes for an Abu Dabhi news outlet. Which is bollocks :lol:

Woodenlung

Andy Mitten founded United We Stand when he was 15 and over the last 30 years has amassed a lot of contacts in the media and the football world. He's very reputable. Keegan's dig at him smacks more of jealousy than any legitimate criticism.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Pretty much. He thought he was being cryptic but obviously wasn't. He said in an obvious enough way, that Andy Mitten shouldn't get a press pass because he only writes for an Abu Dabhi news outlet. Which is bollocks :lol:
It also seems like something that nobody would give a shit about. The only reason it’s being talked about is people calling Keegan out as far as I can see..? What a strange article to even write in the first place.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Curly haired dude - Mike Keegan
Mark Wahlberg - Andy Mitten

It also seems like something that nobody would give a shit about. The only reason it’s being talked about is people calling Keegan out as far as I can see..? What a strange article to even write in the first place.
Threads have been started on far less my friend.

0le

For all the stick journalists get from fans, you would think that they would stick together because only they fully understand their own jobs. :houllier:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Andy Mitten founded United We Stand when he was 15 and over the last 30 years has amassed a lot of contacts in the media and the football world. He's very reputable. Keegan's dig at him smacks more of jealousy than any legitimate criticism.
Andy Mitten is probably the most knowledgeable about and connected to Manchester United journalist on the planet. He also has alot of journalistic integrity, unlike most of the tabloid football journalists. And in this digital age, his independent status gives him even more credibility that than the fake MSM.

Charlie Foley

Curly haired dude - Mike Keegan
Mark Wahlberg - Andy Mitten

Threads have been started on far less my friend.
:lol:
Andy Mitten is probably the most knowledgeable about and connected to Manchester United journalist on the planet. He also has alot of journalistic integrity, unlike most of the tabloid football journalists. And in this digital age, his independent status gives him even more credibility that than the fake MSM.
Agree with that 100%

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Daily Mail writer in lack of integrity or journalistic code shocker.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
His uncle played for us too

IrishRedDevil

Journalists are a bunch of self entitled tw@ts. Those actively posting on Twitter are the worst of the bunch.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Another Keegan rant resulting in ridicule, must be in the name.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ah i miss Andy Mittens exclusives.

United know they need to improve their squad this summer etc etc.

However here he is clearly being attacked for no reason.

0le

I agree. It was quite sad seeing some posts after he wrote the story on Coman. This is because as soon as any journalist says anything people do not agree with, as in that instance, they start using language like "cnut", "idiot" etc, even when the journalist is credible. The same has recently started happening with Simon Stone as well. Similarly I have no doubt same individuals will turn soon on Romano as people start hating on him if Sancho (or some future player) does not sign.

Tiber

Keegan is fecking dreadful.

I read a fair bit of Mitten's work, but particularly enjoy his Athletic podcast

Amir

Ah i miss Andy Mittens exclusives.

United know they need to improve their squad this summer etc etc.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to notice he knows very little, but tries to dress it up as though he's well-connected.

Hoof the ball

Keegan by name, Keegan by nature.

It's the gift that keeps on giving, and the surname that keeps on providing.

Bet he'd love it if Mitten got his pass revoked. Love it!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Surely there's a car park in Hull where this can be sorted out like real men...