Mike Maignan - AC Milan player

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Ah, the United way.
You mean talking about signing a player when you already have the best performer in the league for the current season at that position, with still a bunch of years in him?

With De Gea you at least know you have a player capable of playing like a clown and picking up form again in a disfunctional club, who knows how any other keeper would deal with the pressure that comes playing for United.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
we went from a keeper who is absolute oaf w his feet to a literal midfielder (I liked the joke, giorno...)
this season, you can't even argue that gigio is a better shot stopper... i dont know how maldini and co did it (Im sure moncada had a hand in it), but this was maybe the masterstroke of world football this summer.

i know, it sounds crazy. but to lose a generational keeper and perhaps IMPROVE your team.... im beyond thrilled. we arent in first w gigio, in my opinion. his distribution is THAT important.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's pretty great isn't he?

Really wish we could land him as a replacement for David, has it all.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
@JPRouve he's another psg reject, did he look like like a failure then or did they make another blunder?

To think they paid so much for donnoruma who he has replaced and is much superior to is frankly hilarious.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve he's another psg reject, did he look like like a failure then or did they make another blunder?

To think they paid so much for donnoruma who he has replaced and is much superior to is frankly hilarious.
He wasn't a reject, they rated him but he wasn't ready to start in 2015 and left for game time.

JPRouve

Scout
Interesting, I wonder whether they regret letting him go now.
They didn't had a choice, he wasn't extending to be on the bench. And no, they likely don't regret it, they had Areolas who was better at the time and promising, they also got Donnarumma as a free agent.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They didn't had a choice, he wasn't extending to be on the bench. And no, they likely don't regret it, they had Areolas who was better at the time and promising, they also got Donnarumma as a free agent.
To be honest I always found him to be painfully average so I don't know what psg saw in him back then.

Anyway do you think Deschamps will persist with Lloris for the WC?

JPRouve

Scout
To be honest I always found him to be painfully average so I don't know what psg saw in him back then.

Anyway do you think Deschamps will persist with Lloris for the WC?
Donnarumma is excellent and far from average, he is also only 23. And I don't see Deschamps bench his captain when he has been pretty good in the last years.

antk

Donnarumma is excellent and far from average, he is also only 23. And I don't see Deschamps bench his captain when he has been pretty good in the last years.
They were talking about Areola I think.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah Donnarumma is pretty decent although I'd argue he wasn't worth the money they paid for him, still it should set them nicely in that position for years to come.

Anyway thanks for answering mate.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's my favourite goalkeeper currently. Would be ideal for United when DDG gets binned.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah Donnarumma is pretty decent although I'd argue he wasn't worth the money they paid for him, still it should set them nicely in that position for years to come.

Anyway thanks for answering mate.
What money are you talking about? Donnarumma was a free agent. They paid a signing bonus but that was far below any transfer fee for that kind of talent.

JPRouve

Scout
They were talking about Areola I think.
You are right, he seemingly was. But even then it makes little sense Areola was good in 2015 and definitely better than Maignan, for Lille he only became a starter in 2017. Even if PSG were to upgrade on Areola it would have been someone else than Maignan.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What money are you talking about? Donnarumma was a free agent. They paid a signing bonus but that was far below any transfer fee for that kind of talent.
Yeah you're right, I had an aneurysm and thought they paid 70 mill for him which was actually the money they paid for hakimi, my bad.

All in all milan probably got the best deal with them paying maignan much less than what donaruumma was asking, Donnarumma did have that unfortunate moment in the cl last season so let's see how he kicks on this year.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You are right, he seemingly was. But even then it makes little sense Areola was good in 2015 and definitely better than Maignan, for Lille he only became a starter in 2017. Even if PSG were to upgrade on Areola it would have been someone else than Maignan.
I just don't think they've made the best decisions in that regard, I didn't rate areola at all before which they had gotten trapp which didn't work out then they got a geriatric buffon which ended up as expected, thought they did the right thing by snatching navas but they then immediately unsettled him by getting Donnarumma so never really understood what the planning was.

Last edited:

Pintu

Yeah you're right, I had an aneurysm and thought they paid 70 mill for him which was actually the money they paid for hakimi, my bad.

All in all milan probably got the best deal with them paying maignan much less than what donaruumma was asking, Donnarumma did have that unfortunate moment in the cl last season so let's see how he kicks on this year.
Milan lost Donnaruma for free because they refused to alter their wage structure when he had one year left. I can understand letting Kessié and Çalha run out their contracts. But Donna was very young and risk-free. They could have had a great fee for him after the Euros if he was on a contract. And they would still have been able to recruit Maignan on a good deal all the same.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Milan lost Donnaruma for free because they refused to alter their wage structure when he had one year left. I can understand letting Kessié and Çalha run out their contracts. But Donna was very young and risk-free. They could have had a great fee for him after the Euros if he was on a contract. And they would still have been able to recruit Maignan on a good deal all the same.
But weren't they in a really tight situation back then financially? Them not budging on their position perhaps the right decision in the long run.

JPRouve

Scout
I just don't think they've made the best decisions in that regard, I didn't rate areola at all before which they had got trapp which didn't work at then they got a geriatric buffon which ended up as expected, thought they did the right thing by snatching navas but they then immediate unsettled him by getting Donnarumma so never really understood what the planning was.
Trapp was brought to replace-compete with Sirigu not Areola. Areola was doing very well between 15-17 for Bastia and then Villarreal while Maignan was mainly playing in CFA for Lille or on the bench. Then Areola did well during his first season for PSG and was then put in a bogus competition with Buffon, then PSG brought Navas who was better than all the goalkeepers mentioned in this post and now they have Donnarumma.

The point being that Maignan left in 2015 when he was not going to play for PSG, he wasn't even good enough for Lille at that time. PSG had a young goalkeeper that was doing far better than Maignan and they then brought goalkeepers that were better or as good as he is for little money.

I could understand your point if the timeline was shorter but it wasn't. The case of Maignan is one of the few where PSG did the right thing, he needed to go in order to develop and they had no use for him until he reached a very good level around 2019 and even then PSG had a better goalkeeper in Navas.

RVN1991

Very impressed with him tonight even if he had little to do, has impressed me every time I've seen him, exudes confidence and looks at least competent with the ball in his feet. Realistically how much are we talking to bring him to replace De Gea? especially if Milan fail to qualify for the CL.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Very impressed with him tonight even if he had little to do, has impressed me every time I've seen him, exudes confidence and looks at least competent with the ball in his feet. Realistically how much are we talking to bring him to replace De Gea? especially if Milan fail to qualify for the CL.
He has 3 years left on his contract. I'd say they would probably be looking for 70M? Allison and Kepa have gone for that sort of fee and they would be looking for similar.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mentioned it in the UCL thread, the guy just owns his box. There was a moment in the first half where he rushed out of his box to tell one of his defenders who to pass the ball too. He's what a proper world class goalkeeper looks like

RVN1991

He has 3 years left on his contract. I'd say they would probably be looking for 70M? Allison and Kepa have gone for that sort of fee and they would be looking for similar.
He is a little bit older than Allison and kepa when they moved so maybe that can knock 10 million off the price? Either way doubt he'll be cheap. Even in that little scuffle with Richarlison, he handled it so well, like i said just exudes leadership whenever I've seen him.

Sylar

Fantastic performance. What I enjoy seeing in a goalkeeper, albeit limit viewings of him. Confidence, control and commanding. Good saves too.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
He is a complete goalkeeper in terms of skill set. I don't think we can see any real significant weakness in him. He has it all in him. This guy can command the penalty box, has great ball-distribution skills, excellent shot-stopper on his own, and can off his line to act as a sweeper-keeper. ATM, with all respect to Donnarumma, this guy is a superior goalkeeper to Donnarumma.

This is his stats last season.

aeh1991

Would be the first choice GK I'd want here. He is such a good complete GK and probably will be the best keeper in the world in a few years.