Mike Maignan - AC Milan player

BerryBerryShrew

Superb again tonight. I have no problem with us going for a good keeper at a cheap price (like Raya) but if we're going to go all out and drop 70 million on a potential superstar, it needs to be this guy rather than Costa.

Sylar

Superb again tonight. I have no problem with us going for a good keeper at a cheap price (like Raya) but if we're going to go all out and drop 70 million on a potential superstar, it needs to be this guy rather than Costa.
Every time I've seen him, he's been fantastic. Just has that commanding presence

NYAS

If the budget is an issue then I’d much rather wait a year to get him, than go for an average keeper like Raya just because he’s cheap.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s the best around. If Jassim comes and wants to build a great team then Maignan over Costa for me.

SAF is the GOAT

Great keeper, too injury prone unfortunately

SeasonInjuryfromuntilDaysGames missed
22/23Disrupted Calf MuscleOct 19, 2022Feb 24, 2023128 days18
22/23Calf InjurySep 22, 2022Oct 19, 202227 days5
21/22Wirst InjuryOct 12, 2021Nov 25, 202144 days9
15/16Shoulder InjuryDec 7, 2015Mar 29, 2016113 days19

croadyman

If the budget is an issue then I’d much rather wait a year to get him, than go for an average keeper like Raya just because he’s cheap.
Yeah I can wait a year for him provided we at least get someone to play 6/8 and a top striker too

Dannn411

Maybe Europe's best goalkeeper. What I think a goalkeeper should play like. Full command of his box.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Costacurta and Capello just called him the best in the world too.

Posers, I've been doing that long before them

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Milan have conceded 37 goals so far this season. That's second highest in the top 10 of Serie A.

Any reason why?
Maignan missed around 16 games this season and they already conceded 22 goals in the games without him. Tatarusanu is a big downgrade compared to Maignan and overall he gives the team so much confidence.

RVN1991

The goalkeeper we should be targeting. No disrespect to raya but come on if we're going to replace De Gea lets do it with a player we know is going to come in and immediately make the starting spot his own, let's not make the mistake of bringing in the Barthez's, Howard's and Carroll's of the world again.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The goalkeeper we should be targeting. No disrespect to raya but come on if we're going to replace De Gea lets do it with a player we know is going to come in and immediately make the starting spot his own, let's not make the mistake of bringing in the Barthez's, Howard's and Carroll's of the world again.
Barthez won 2 league titles with Monaco, a Champions League with Marseille and a World Cup. You can't put him in the same category as Roy Carroll or Tim Howard. When he was at United he often made me nervous and he had a clanger in him, but he clearly isn't the same profile of player as the other GKs you mentioned.

city-puma

Barthez won 2 league titles with Monaco, a Champions League with Marseille and a World Cup. You can't put him in the same category as Roy Carroll or Tim Howard. When he was at United he often made me nervous and he had a clanger in him, but he clearly isn't the same profile of player as the other GKs you mentioned.
Now, when I dig deeper into my memory about him playing for us, I found myself still remembering his proactive way to play. Maybe, his style is too modern at that time. Now, I feel he would be more suitable to play in this ETH team.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Now, when I dig deeper into my memory about him playing for us, I found myself still remembering his proactive way to play. Maybe, his style is too modern at that time. Now, I feel he would be more suitable to play in this ETH team.
Agreed. Barthez seemed to enjoy having the ball at his feet, which in England in the early 00s was sneered at. Nevertheless, he made too many errors to justify sticking with. There was a goal he conceded in that Madrid home leg where he got beat at his near post that seemed to be the nail in his coffin. I think Fergie lost faith in him after that.

ti vu

It's not about his style, but his temperament/ decision making. He just made questionable decision. It feels like he just wanted to get involved else, he's bored, and being too involved can be a bad thing for GK. VdS is proactive, modern ball playing GK compared to most of GKs at the time.

At the moment, you can see the difference between someone like Onana who overdoes, and the normal modern ball playing GK like Marc ter Stegen.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Didn’t watch the match.

Did he make a lot of good saves? The highlights showed not many saves but more that he was commanding his area.

And an amazing penalty save.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Milan have conceded 37 goals so far this season. That's second highest in the top 10 of Serie A.

Any reason why?

You should have seen their back up goalkeeper. I don’t think he had any hands

RoyH1

The GK we should be targeting. Absolutely brilliant and by all accounts a nice guy too. Want

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's just so complete in all aspects that make a great keeper, he has it all and it's quite rare to see these days.

Dare I say only Allison and neuer compare.

ekestubbe

If he's so good then how come he wasn't even in the France squad for the world cup last year? He'll be 28 this summer and has only 3 caps. Isn't this just another case of recency bias after him just having one great performance?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If he's so good then how come he wasn't even in the France squad for the world cup last year? He'll be 28 this summer and has only 3 caps. Isn't this just another case of recency bias after him just having one great performance?
Pretty sure he was injured/hadn't recovered well enough to make it.

He's been on the upward trajectory for a good 5 years or so. Definitely a late bloomer like most good goalkeepers where he's far more noticeable as he approaches his late 20s.