Mike Maignan - AC Milan player

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Said in the summer that we should've signed him instead of Barthez on steroids. If we didn't have a manager obsessed with nepotism we would've bought the right guy.

KeanoMagicHat

I don’t know why teams are reluctant to spend 80-100 million on a guaranteed top keeper too. They only come around every so often and they can do a job for 10 years easily. Maignan wouldn’t have been easy to buy but put that money in front of Milan and see, have set the team on the right path.

If you take Hojlund for 70 million, there are actually more players of Hojlund’s quality around you could buy than Maignan’s quality. 80-90 million for Maignan and 30-40 million forward would have us in better shape than we are now.

Alisson, Neuer and Buffon examples of keepers that transformed their teams and have done it year after year.

RVN1991

He was my first choice but we had to spunk 50 million for Mount for no real reason and had to cater to ETH's persistence on buying players he's managed so oh well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He'd have cost at least twice as much as Onana. And for those bigging him up, he was at fault for Dortmund's 3rd goal and this place would have blamed him for the 2nd as well - you know, the goals that effectively knocked Milan out of CL...

gajender

He'd have cost at least twice as much as Onana. And for those bigging him up, he was at fault for Dortmund's 3rd goal and this place would have blamed him for the 2nd as well - you know, the goals that effectively knocked Milan out of CL...
What's your Take on Onana Struggles with United is he lost cause now and was he this Erratic with Inter as well .

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

Onana cost 47m pound, I have no doubt Maignan would be more expensive given he still has 4 years on his deal, but I doubt he would cost 100m, that's reserved for attackers.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Onana cost 47m pound, I have no doubt Maignan would be more expensive given he still has 4 years on his deal, but I doubt he would cost 100m, that's reserved for attackers.
Long enough deal and Milan sold Tonali, they had no need to sell. Hence, the price would have been "let's see how stupid you can get" stuff

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What's your Take on Onana Struggles with United is he lost cause now and was he this Erratic with Inter as well .
He was somewhat erratic in the league last year, exceptional in CL. He's what he is. He was overall a great goalkeeper and will be a great goalkeeper again as soon as he leaves the dumpster fire better known as Banter Manchester United Football Club

InfiniteBoredom

Long enough deal and Milan sold Tonali, they had no need to sell. Hence, the price would have been "let's see how stupid you can get" stuff
Aren't they still 600m in debt to Elliott? A 70m fee for someone they spent 20m on a year prior would be pretty tempting.

kaku06

He was somewhat erratic in the league last year, exceptional in CL. He's what he is. He was overall a great goalkeeper and will be a great goalkeeper again as soon as he leaves the dumpster fire better known as Banter Manchester United Football Club
Who hurt you? He asked a genuine question and you answered it but you had to add that. Why?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Who hurt you? He asked a genuine question and you answered it but you had to add that. Why?
It is a genuine answer actually. So long as the ownership situation isn't sorted, your club will be only good for banter. Any player you sign, any manager you hire, no matter how good and talented, will be dragged down into the mediocrity that has taken root - allowed and even in a way encouraged to take root - by the vampires that currently own the club and even managed to feck up at least 1 season while trying to sell a minority stake

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It is a genuine answer actually. So long as the ownership situation isn't sorted, your club will be only good for banter. Any player you sign, any manager you hire, no matter how good and talented, will be dragged down into the mediocrity that has taken root - allowed and even in a way encouraged to take root - by the vampires that currently own the club and even managed to feck up at least 1 season while trying to sell a minority stake
How on earth do owners make players play good or poor? Onana had mistakes at Inter Milan too, guess that makes there owners bad.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How on earth do owners make players play good or poor? Onana had mistakes at Inter Milan too, guess that makes there owners bad.
Ownership literally is in charge of the club. Bad owners hire bad CEOs, bad front office people, who proceeds to run the club badly, allowing standards to fall, making the jobs and managers, coaches and players harder, not helping when they need help, etc.

Just take the last few months. Do you think players, managers, etc aren't affected by takeover rumors? Now there are usually 2 ways those things go: A) team is doing well, the boss is charismatic and they create a siege mentality that keeps them performing. Or B) everybody starts worrying about job security, standards fall, nobody is held accountable because nobody knows who even they should be accountable to, any little crack quickly turns into a chasm that drags the whole thing down

The Glazers FECKED YOUR SEASON in the process of selling a minority stake in the club.

kaku06

I see now you are a well wisher of our club. Didn’t know that. And yes everyone knows what are the issues. You don’t need to wum to get your obvious point across. I hope we get out of this hole soon because we aren’t backed by the government like your club.

SambaBoy

Easy to sit here and say we should have signed him instead of Onana. I think we have to remember Onana was very highly rated and up there with Maignan. Maignan had missed a lot of games with injuries and was likely to be more expensive. It wasn't like we went for someone like Dubravaka over Maignan. Onana was considered one of the best GK's in Europe. We had most of the fanbase thinking they were elite tacticians by saying how Onana would transform us and we don't realise what he'll do to other players.

I can see why we plumped for Onana given his reputation and the quality he shown at Inter and Ajax. It just hasn't translated to United.. yet. I still think there's a chance he turns this around and proves himself to be a good GK for us.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He will be next PSG's keeper.

He was my first choice, but ETH wanted Onana.

Think Onana has a better pass, but Maignan is more consistent I assuem

Onana was the better keeper last year, until he joined us. There's a theme there.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
He will be next PSG's keeper.

He was my first choice, but ETH wanted Onana.

Think Onana has a better pass, but Maignan is more consistent I assuem
He already played for PSG.... They tossed him away. Onana is not a better passer. Maignan the only keeper in football w 3 assists in the last 3 seasons.

Maignan a better shot stopper and more solid. I don't say this because I'm a Milan fan, I was on here last summer telling you guys Onana was wildly mistake prone and not solid overall.

That said, he's unbelievably injury prone for a keeper, and it's a major problem. It's actually ridiculous how much he's been injured. He looks set to sign a new deal (with 3yrs left, it'd be a mistake not to, he's not earning much now)... Then eventually he'll be sold for an insane amount. If someone comes knocking with 80-100M this summer, he'll be sent away

Pickle85

Ownership literally is in charge of the club. Bad owners hire bad CEOs, bad front office people, who proceeds to run the club badly, allowing standards to fall, making the jobs and managers, coaches and players harder, not helping when they need help, etc.

Just take the last few months. Do you think players, managers, etc aren't affected by takeover rumors? Now there are usually 2 ways those things go: A) team is doing well, the boss is charismatic and they create a siege mentality that keeps them performing. Or B) everybody starts worrying about job security, standards fall, nobody is held accountable because nobody knows who even they should be accountable to, any little crack quickly turns into a chasm that drags the whole thing down

The Glazers FECKED YOUR SEASON in the process of selling a minority stake in the club.
Disagree. The ownership uncertainty is not affecting things, the fact that we're not good enough across the pitch is. People put way too much importance on what goes on behind the scenes.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Disagree. The ownership uncertainty is not affecting things, the fact that we're not good enough across the pitch is. People put way too much importance on what goes on behind the scenes.
Sure it isn’t

antk

He already played for PSG.... They tossed him away. Onana is not a better passer. Maignan the only keeper in football w 3 assists in the last 3 seasons.

Maignan a better shot stopper and more solid. I don't say this because I'm a Milan fan, I was on here last summer telling you guys Onana was wildly mistake prone and not solid overall.

That said, he's unbelievably injury prone for a keeper, and it's a major problem. It's actually ridiculous how much he's been injured. He looks set to sign a new deal (with 3yrs left, it'd be a mistake not to, he's not earning much now)... Then eventually he'll be sold for an insane amount. If someone comes knocking with 80-100M this summer, he'll be sent away
What's weird with his injury problems is that they started as soon as he arrived at Milan. There wasn't really anything prior that would have indicated that. Could very well be a series of freak incidents but it's definitely worrisome.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As many pointed, this fella will cost a lot and is too injury prone.

We can have some solid options without breaking the bank: Guillaume Restes seems to be a keeper that will be a future star. He's still a bit raw, but looking at the way he handles the ball, his positioning and his clever way to help the build-up, seems a good plan in case Onana keeps going on downward spiral.

I watch some Championship games and actually was impressed by James Trafford. He looks like a hot prospect and he's actually looking amazing if you look at both live action and metrics.

Bento another good option: amazing reflexes and good passing, but coming from a south american league might give him some handicap

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
YOU LITERALLY CAN'T EVEN SACK THE MANAGER RIGHT NOW. Not "won't". Not "don't want to". CANNOT. Nobody has the power to sanction it right now

How is the takeover not affecting things?

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
Best in the world? Changed the game for Milan with his save. Would probably be not much of exaggeration that we have probably qualified with comfortably if he played for us instead of Onana.
You should check out his save against Genoa, absolutely mental.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
He's not totally convinced with our project, haven't agreed to sign a new contract after several months of negotiating. I think he's willing to listen to other clubs offers.

Last edited:

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
He's not totally convinced with our project, haven't agreed to sign a new contract after several months of negotiating. I think he's willing to listen to other clubs offers.
whether or not he signs, negotiating for "months" is beyond normal. osimhen been negotiating for well over a year and is just now signing. lautaro been in the press for nearly a year talking renewal and just now getting done.... they take plenty of time, and he has nearly 3yrs left on his deal.

he'll renew, or leave. it is what it is. but there's nothing to worry about for now

Pickle85

YOU LITERALLY CAN'T EVEN SACK THE MANAGER RIGHT NOW. Not "won't". Not "don't want to". CANNOT. Nobody has the power to sanction it right now

Sorry, can you tell me where this is confirmed please?

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
whether or not he signs, negotiating for "months" is beyond normal. osimhen been negotiating for well over a year and is just now signing. lautaro been in the press for nearly a year talking renewal and just now getting done.... they take plenty of time, and he has nearly 3yrs left on his deal.

he'll renew, or leave. it is what it is. but there's nothing to worry about for now
What goes on elsewhere is irrelevant because according to our recent history with these types of renewals we're clearly not competent enough(Donna, Hakan, Kessie). I'm fully aware that he has 3yrs left but why do you think the club wants to negotiate? My guess is, there's a transfer clause bargain that can be activated next summer.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I see now you are a well wisher of our club. Didn’t know that. And yes everyone knows what are the issues. You don’t need to wum to get your obvious point across. I hope we get out of this hole soon because we aren’t backed by the government like your club.
He's right in what he said though, there's no point getting mad really. We're a mess and have been for years, hopefully someone comes along and changes all that like Liverpool went from an absolute laughing stock under last season Rodgers to CL finalists in 3 years under Klopp.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Putting things in caps lock doesn't really make them any truer. Obviously Ten Hag could be fired if needed.