Mike Phelan signed a contract extension in late 2021

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Under Ole the manager and his most experienced coach didn't coach, injured players were allowed to recover at a holiday resort and when things got tough the manager went on a holiday. If Ole wasn't a legend with United DNA and all then you'll believe that he ran a shit show and everyone was slacking.

Last edited:

::sonny::

Under Ole the manager and his most experienced coach didn't coach, injured players were allowed to recover at a holiday resort and when things got tough the manager went on a holiday. If Ole was a legend with United DNA and all then you'll believe that he ran a shit show and everyone was slacking.
Big truth

Greck

Those quotes honestly look like Ralf is baffled why he needs Phelan. Would he even be here if he wasn't given that contract. Jobs for boys, there's no reason he should have been renewed when he was and there's no reason an assistant should be forced on a manager.

It's a freakin assistant, the manager should be allowed full autonomy over who his bloody assistant will be. Clueless staff administration by a bunch who have no real experience for their roles. These guys just went around running the club like Ole was guaranteed manager for life.

kps88

If he does do something useful, he needs a PR team or someone to get it out there quick because his reputation is taking an absolute battering at the moment.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Those quotes honestly look like Ralf is baffled why he needs Phelan. Would he even be here if he wasn't given that contract. Jobs for boys, there's no reason he should have been renewed when he was and there's no reason an assistant should be forced on a manager.

It's a freakin assistant, the manager should be allowed full autonomy over who his bloody assistant will be. Clueless staff administration by a bunch who have no real experience for their roles. These guys just went around running the club like Ole was guaranteed manager for life.
Ralf's supposed to be here for 6 months, good luck convincing people who've a job currently to leave and come to us for 6 months with no guarantee they'll still have a job after that.

Keeping the existing coaches isn't the end of the world, Ralf is hands on and would be giving them detailed instructions to follow anyway. Wouldn't be too late to replace them when we finally get a full time manager in.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
If he does do something useful, he needs a PR team or someone to get it out there quick because his reputation is taking an absolute battering at the moment.
Phelan has a reputation?

devilish

Do you think that he gives a feck? He's 59 years old, he's probably well off and he just signed a contract extension which in turn will lead to a huge pay out either way. The guy couldn't get a top job after being SAF's no 2. He won't get a job now after being Ole's coach and sporting director for the mighty Central Coast Mariners

devilish

Ralf's supposed to be here for 6 months, good luck convincing people who've a job currently to leave and come to us for 6 months with no guarantee they'll still have a job after that.

Keeping the existing coaches isn't the end of the world, Ralf is hands on and would be giving them detailed instructions to follow anyway. Wouldn't be too late to replace them when we finally get a full time manager in.
Ralf's comments regarding Phelan weren't surprising. I have mates with very close ties to Manchester United and they pretty much said the same thing about him. However not every Ole's coach was shit. Mckenna is said to be extremely good in his job and while he lack experience with first team players, he's considered one of the most promising coaches in the EPL.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I don't think Ralf was trying to throw Phelan under the bus, why would he want to? I hope he's told how this quote is being presented and tells us tomorrow what it is that Mike does.

Greck

Phelan is expected to stay beyond Ralf's interim tenure, is he not? Don't suppose Phelan is okay to just wait around if he was getting sacked for sure. The word is they are expected to stay. The next manager will be faced with having to leave him be as an assistant or demote him to coach where he is least suited according to those quotes.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Phelan is expected to stay beyond Ralf's interim tenure, is he not? Don't suppose Phelan is okay to just wait around if he was getting sacked for sure. The word is they are expected to stay. The next manager will be faced with having to leave him be as an assistant or demote him to coach where he is least suited according to those quotes.
It's up to the full time manager to decides who he wants on his coaching staff. No decent manager taking up a full time job would accept coaching staff forced on them, because they'll usually have their own team that they're comfortable with.

And ffs, He's getting paid, stop making it sound like he's being held ransom at the club. If he wants to walk, he can do it like how Carrick left.

devilish

I don't think Ralf was trying to throw Phelan under the bus, why would he want to? I hope he's told how this quote is being presented and tells us tomorrow what it is that Mike does.
For me he comes across as a very direct guy who say things as it is.

devilish

I believe that Rangnick is pushing him out. Whether Phelan will do that remains to be seen. I very much doubt it though else he would have gone already and Rangnick would be singing the customary praises to him ("I wanted him to stay but he wanted to go bla bla bla")

Beans

Supports
Neutral
For me he comes across as a very direct guy who say things as it is.
Do you know what the question was? It seemed that someone wanted to know if Phelan ran training and he was saying he doesn't. But it doesn't look like he bothered to add what he does do.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
I'm pretty sure that SAF said at one point that Phelan was the one training the players on the pitch, that he no longer did that part. So I have to admit I thought that's what he was here to do. There's another quote saying, "Two of them will help me to prepare training, to discuss video footage together with Paul (Brand). Mike Phelan does not watch the training..." Maybe one of those is Phelan?
Man's just here for the DNA and vibes.
Polite way of saying Phelan doesn't do shit, he'll leave shortly surely.
:lol:

devilish

Do you know what the question was? It seemed that someone wanted to know if Phelan ran training and he was saying he doesn't. But it doesn't look like he bothered to add what he does do.
The actual quote is this

" ‘Mike Phelan is not watching the training sessions - he also didn’t do that when Ole was in charge - but he’s also part of the training group of the staff. But he is never on the pitch when we train."

Rangnick went quite in detail in saying

A-Phelan is part of the training group
B- Despite being part of the training group he is never on the pitch when the team train and he doesn't even WATCH (let alone run) training sessions.
C- This practice was common not only under Ralfie's administration but Ole as well. That's significant as that rules out him being sidelined by the new administration

These sort of talking is done by a manager who wants an employee out. Else he would have explained what Phelan does rather then triple down on what he doesn't do.

wolvored

When Ole got the sack the board said the remaining staff will be retained until the end of the season and the new (full time) manager can decide if they want to work with them. Obviously this must be out of RR hands to shift them on at this point. On another note it looks like Fletcher is involved more with the coaching and sits on the bench with the manager. Is this something RR has agreed to or is it a club stipulation? He also did it when Carrick was in the hot seat.

Cloud7

Posted this in the press conference thread, but this fits better here:

I've said this in other threads. Pretty sure that when Ole arrived, he gave an interview saying he got Phelen in to see to the day to day running of the club so that Ole can focus on the football side of the house. This makes perfect sense. Phelen knows the club inside out. There are many things to running the club's operations beyond just training and tactics. Mundane stuff like coordinating training timing, media, logistics etc etc etc. Makes sense for Rangnick to keep Phelen for the same job.
Ole then went on to leave the football side of the house to Carrick and McKenna:lol:

oreon

Phelan needs to go. It is shameful for him to stay after Carrick left. Like where's the pride.

I 100% understand McKenna staying. He's a young coach. And even if he gets a lesser role this is an opportunity for him to learn from one the best technical minds in the game. But Phelan ? It's not clear what he offers and him staying does nothing for his career. Some times you gotta realize when your time is up. Don't be the old guy whose there just collecting the checks.
Leave to give an opportunity for someone else whose younger who can bring in new ideas and who can also benefit from the role

devilish

Ole then went on to leave the football side of the house to Carrick and McKenna:lol:
Its baffling really. We brought Phelan because we had an inexperienced coaching staff only to learn that he didn't even bother watching the training session. Meanwhile players fecked off on holidays when injured with the manager following suit in the middle of a crisis. These sort of things happen in the public sector of some badly run nation not at an organisation such as Manchester United

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The actual quote is this

" ‘Mike Phelan is not watching the training sessions - he also didn’t do that when Ole was in charge - but he’s also part of the training group of the staff. But he is never on the pitch when we train."

Rangnick went quite in detail in saying

A-Phelan is part of the training group
B- Despite being part of the training group he is never on the pitch when the team train and he doesn't even WATCH (let alone run) training sessions.
C- This practice was common not only under Ralfie's administration but Ole as well. That's significant as that rules out him being sidelined by the new administration

These sort of talking is done by a manager who wants an employee out. Else he would have explained what Phelan does rather then triple down on what he doesn't do.
Why go to the press, though? To put pressure on the board? Do you know what the question was? Because if the journo only asked if Phelan works on the training pitch then he wasn't asked what he does do.

Maybe someone who know about how a large coaching staff works could explain why there's still enough work for Mike?

devilish

Why go to the press, though? To put pressure on the board? Do you know what the question was? Because if the journo only asked if Phelan works on the training pitch then he wasn't asked what he does do.

Maybe someone who know about how a large coaching staff works could explain why there's still enough work for Mike?
I think Ralph pressuring him to go (or the board to sack him). Else he would explain what he does rather then specifying in detail what he doesn't do. Let us not forget that Ralphie will remain involved either way. So if Phelan is a bum then it's a matter of concern to him

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I really hope this is true.

The SAF/Phelan team was the weakest in my eyes and one of the shittest versions of us.

Castia

So if he isn't involved with training and Ole also wasn't involved that left Carrick and McKenna essentially running the first team sessions? Carrick has barely got his pro coaching licences and was learning on the job and McKenna is a young coach with virtually no experience of training a first team squad how was this left in place for so long?

Ole should have appointed 1-2 top class coaches instead of trying to build a 'mates at work' style environment and maybe he would still be in the job. This club makes me so fecking angry at times, absolute amateurs playing at trying to run a multi billion pound organisation no wonder we're a laughing stock.

dove

Our coaching staff under Ole was a complete shitshow, from a bunch of amateurs to someone like Phelan who nobody has any idea what he actually does. Now Carrick left but we see another one who has used the opportunity and joined the mates on the bench (Fletch). Hope Ralf gets rid of all of them. Enough of this learning on the job nonsense, they can learn their trade elsewhere, plenty of clubs out there.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ralf was probably asked about Armas, what his role will be, will he replace Phelan as the assistant manager? And so forth.

He then clarified that Armas won't replace Phelan (because Phelan's job description doesn't include day-to-day training sessions).

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I think Ralph pressuring him to go (or the board to sack him). Else he would explain what he does rather then specifying in detail what he doesn't do. Let us not forget that Ralphie will remain involved either way. So if Phelan is a bum then it's a matter of concern to him
Here's the question: You said earlier this week that Chris Armas would come in as your assistant coach. Mike Phelan is currently the assistant manager. Does that mean Mike’s role is going to change?

He's saying no it won't change. He wasn't on the training pitch before and that's not changing, it's a non-story for me.

https://therepublikofmancunia.com/transcript-in-full-rangnicks-norwich-press-conference/

Greck

So Ole delegated training to a guy who further delegated it to people with even less experience than both. So what was the point of having Phelan? His value was supposed to be complementing Ole's weakness and inexperience.

Bit of a numpty head approach from Ole to oppose signing an actual coach to help. Comes across as not quite the brightest bulb (as it pertains to football management). These guys were really determined to keep it between the mates. Throw in those contract renewals and you have a self sustaining cycle of incompetence that started with an incompetent inexperienced CEO hiring incompetent inexperienced executives to delegate decision making to.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The club should do the honourable thing and pay him off.

Last edited: