Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wenger at least realised how important creativity was in midfield, even though he seemingly moved away from Vieira type midfielders. I think his home record was excellent in his final season bar the games against the big six.

They don't have runners in midfield, they can't counter and they struggle to keep the ball against a well pressed unit. It's a terrible combo.
Those days where they were a machine at home, with Ozil and Sanchez feel like a different lifetime.

They have a few moderate youngsters like Saka and Smith Rowe, but the drop in quality is outrageous.
It must be a struggle to see any positivity as an Arsenal fan.

eire-red

Going to be a long season for Arsenal, maybe not so long for Arteta. Hearing him talk about players missing due to covid, injuries and all that, but who would come into that squad and make a difference?

Sylar

Should be 3 out of 3 losses next week. Thats going to be hard to turn around. They should be glad they have Norwich soon, its a team you want to be facing when you lose or are in a bad run.

Nick7

It’s hard to fathom what his plan for Arsenal is when he sends them onto the pitch. They don’t seem like a team, just individual players doing whatever they want.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It’s hard to fathom what his plan for Arsenal is when he sends them onto the pitch. They don’t seem like a team, just individual players doing whatever they want.
New contract for Xhaka could mean no true leaders in this team for another months/years. Even Auba doesn't look so inspiring these days.

Gandalf

Should be 3 out of 3 losses next week. Thats going to be hard to turn around. They should be glad they have Norwich soon, its a team you want to be facing when you lose or are in a bad run.
Lots of focus on the fact they will lose next week to Man City but nobody is mentioning that they have an away game with WBA in the Carabao on Wednesday. That looks a real banana skin for them right now, with no European football to look forward to and probably a mid table league campaign I can't imagine that their fans will react well if they are bounced out of one of the 2 domestic cup competitions early. Arteta may well choose to rest some starters mid week to play a full strength team against City but if he has any sense for self preservation he might want to do that the other way around, they are losing to City whatever line up he picks so he might as well shoot for a cup run to buy himself some time.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
I can't remember where, but I remember someone saying that Arteta has 'pretty privilege'. I laughed at the thought but now I wonder if Arteta is a managerial panda?

Last edited:

Kag

They’ve got really shit players all over the park.

The thread title makes reference to consecutive eighth placed finishes. I’m struggling to see how they improve upon that, Arteta or not.

Classical Mechanic

They’ve got really shit players all over the park.

The thread title makes reference to consecutive eighth placed finishes. I’m struggling to see how they improve upon that, Arteta or not.
I think their fully fit XI is pretty good though. Centre back is a big issue. Mari's pathetic dive rather than trying to challenge Lukaku for his goal was a damning indictment of that deficiency.

Kag

I think their fully fit XI is pretty good though. Centre back is a big issue. Mari's pathetic dive rather than trying to challenge Lukaku for his goal was a damning indictment of that deficiency.
Is it? Tierney and Saka are good players and Smith-Rowe presents promise but I wouldn’t even look twice at any of the others.

A centre half partnership of Rob Holding and Pablo Mari wouldn’t look out of place in the bottom three.

Classical Mechanic

Is it? Tierney and Saka are good players and Smith-Rowe presents promise but I wouldn’t even look twice at any of the others.

A centre half partnership of Rob Holding and Pablo Mari wouldn’t look out of place in the bottom three.
Party, Auba, Laca, Pepe, Saka, Smith-Rowe, Tierney, Odegaard and Bellerin. OK it isn't title winning stuff but its a lot better than the tune that Arteta has been getting from it.

Anustart89

Worth updating I guess. 20th league defeat for Arteta.

Manager
PL Games​
W​
D​
L​
Loss %​
Arteta
60​
27​
13​
20​
33%​
Why you talking about loss percentage? Why you not talking about win percentage? What's his net win percentage? [/Ty]

mav_9me

Those days where they were a machine at home, with Ozil and Sanchez feel like a different lifetime.

They have a few moderate youngsters like Saka and Smith Rowe, but the drop in quality is outrageous.
It must be a struggle to see any positivity as an Arsenal fan.
Haha you need to talk to my arsenal supporting friend. His minimum expectation for this season is to challenge for top 4.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Haha I don't think there is any danger of Conte going to arsenal... With their transfer budget... :lol:
Everyone bangs on about their poor transfer budget and yet they've spent almost the same amount of money as Chelsea have in the last 3 seasons. They're only 50m euros behind us! They've spent 400m euros in the last 3 seasons.

mav_9me

Everyone bangs on about their poor transfer budget and yet they've spent almost the same amount of money as Chelsea have in the last 3 seasons. They're only 50m euros behind us! They've spent 400m euros in the last 3 seasons.
Wow. I wouldn't have thought that. I guess chelsea did have that year without spending but still...

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Surely there's room for 27m Saliba in there.
Despite being sent off on loan and not getting near the squad.
It is absolute madness that we have Pablo Mari starting games for us whilst Saliba is stuck out on loan. Not in that twitter team though as he was an Emery signing.

Castia

Spent loads of money and are going backwards, they even looked better under Emery.

Sylar

Lots of focus on the fact they will lose next week to Man City but nobody is mentioning that they have an away game with WBA in the Carabao on Wednesday. That looks a real banana skin for them right now, with no European football to look forward to and probably a mid table league campaign I can't imagine that their fans will react well if they are bounced out of one of the 2 domestic cup competitions early. Arteta may well choose to rest some starters mid week to play a full strength team against City but if he has any sense for self preservation he might want to do that the other way around, they are losing to City whatever line up he picks so he might as well shoot for a cup run to buy himself some time.
Oh wow, I didnt even know they were playing. Its odd to think theyre in this early round, but yeah, this is a good point.
Its a test to see what he does. He might be thinking his 'second' team should dispatch WBA and thus rest for City.
4 out of 4 losses is very possible.