Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Its not just because of that though, our squad on paper is vastly superior. It was already better than theirs last season and then we went and bought Sancho Varane and Ronaldo on top.
Aye, it's obvious what the difference between the two sides is. Most thought United would challenge this season, whereas Arsenal still in their building stage would compete for 6th.

More fecking smoke and mirrors. Arteta spend £160 million on new players in the last transfer window alone. They spent more money than any other club in Europe!
And they've completely overhauled the squad. Manchester United spent £120 million this summer, and they spent well over £200 million a few windows ago, with a much better starting point. Chelsea spent over a 100 this summer, and they spent 230 million the summer before. City have spent over 400Million the last three seasons. And all these clubs spend significantly more on wages than Arsenal do. Acting as if Arsenal and United are starting from the same place is a false dichotomy.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
More fecking smoke and mirrors. Arteta spend £160 million on new players in the last transfer window alone. They spent more money than any other club in Europe!
The World gets it son. You have a weird obsessional hatred of Arsenal.

I know for a fact that many football fans laugh at you. Now move along and stop embarrassing the great club you support.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I know for a fact that many football fans laugh at you. Now move along and stop embarrassing the great club you support.
:lol: Amazing.

I think my favourite redcafe phenomenon is fans of other clubs creating a profile to sign up for a website dedicated to Manchester United, then telling United fans we’re obsessed about their club!

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

Nice to see you back Brews. :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'll be honest, last summer when Conte left Inter I watched with besumement as Manchester United and Arsenal didn't offer him their daughters in tribute or whatever the feck else he demanded to take over either of those clubs, but if you told me that by January 2021 one of those clubs wouldn't look like complete lunatic clowns for not doing that and sticking with their guy, i would have bet my house on United/Ole being the ones coming good

This is both surprising to me and also a bit infuriating because it shows i don't know better than the people in charge at Arsenal, and that's not something I, a normal person who follows the sport, can easily accept

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Played well today despite the loss. Happy to see the improvement in game play. The young players and new recruits are playing well.

Woodenlung

Arsenal under Arteta have had spells where they looked very good, before reverting to the mean and playing diabolically. It was just one month ago that they lost two in row to terribly performing Man Utd and Everton sides. So I'm not going to proclaim that they've turned the corner just yet.

Ludens the Red

They’re good. Even at old Trafford there were bits in that game where they looked like a top side but they clearly still have a step to take mentally. They basically beat themselves at old Trafford and today by harnessing their inner Arsenal.

I’m just baffled as to how they’ve gone from 8th and looking like pure shite to this very progressive, fluid and high pressing footballing team. There didn’t seem to be a middle ground. Their team seems quite balanced too. Think they’ll make top four above spurs and United who despite having games in hand still play football that make your eyes bleed and that isn’t sustainable.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think people are seriously underestimating how physically shot city were. You could visibly see how one paced they were - which was perfect for the Arsenal game plan of sitting back and transitioning very quickly through their young lads. Pep said the same after the game. Arsenal really threw 3 points away - it was there for them.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think people are seriously underestimating how physically shot city were. You could visibly see how one paced they were - which was perfect for the Arsenal game plan of sitting back and transitioning very quickly through their young lads. Pep said the same after the game. Arsenal really threw 3 points away - it was there for them.
I didn’t actually realise Arsenal got to sit out the Boxing Day fixtures. Explains a lot.

el3mel

Arsenal are moving in the right direction. Last few seasons were crap but they look to have a good base to build upon this season. They're not going to challenge for the league but I expect them to be back among top 4 challengers pretty soon in comparison to the 8th place spots they have been getting recently.

Josh 76

It was going to be an obvious handicap for City before the game. I predicted an easy win for Arsenal, which it should have been.

This win for City has to go down as one of the best results under Pep and probably seals the title.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It was going to be an obvious handicap for City before the game. I predicted an easy win for Arsenal, which it should have been.

This win for City has to go down as one of the best results under Pep and probably seals the title.
They played Sunday 19th, Sunday 26th, Wednesday 29th, & Saturday 1st, it's not like they have had to play every 2 or 3 days for a few weeks. They are well versed to playing midweek games, have the biggest & best squad in the country. They play Swindon next Friday & Chelsea 8 days later.

Flexdegea

Arsenal lost 4 of their last 9 league games.......but apparently in red hot form and going places. The delusion around then is insane. BT earlier was total gold.

IrishRedDevil

Arsenal lost 4 of their last 9 league games.......but apparently in red hot form and going places. The delusion around then is insane. BT earlier was total gold.
They beat might Norwich and Leeds, while other competitors had games postponed due to Covid. Put some respect on their name.

Tarrou

its Arsenal mate calm down

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
They played Sunday 19th, Sunday 26th, Wednesday 29th, & Saturday 1st, it's not like they have had to play every 2 or 3 days for a few weeks. They are well versed to playing midweek games, have the biggest & best squad in the country. They play Swindon next Friday & Chelsea 8 days later.
Agreed, got to feel sorry for poor citeh with their paper-thin squad.

Arse looking decent, bound to get inconsistencies with such a young side, but even that’s a positive (unless you’re a muppet who thinks your team must win every game).

Enjoy the ride

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I made a post before over here disparaging arteta and saying bow ole is miles above him, but now with ole gone and their recent success ? I have to concede, I ain't too sure anymore, I watched them in the past few games and they really seem to be building toward something over there and have actually found some consistency a big downside of them before .

But it's just so hard to tell with these lot as they've had purple patches previously and you just get the underlying feeling that they're a hammering or a bad run of results away from the typical total meltdown and chaos they've become famous for.

Have they finally turned a corner or is it just another false start? I genuinely can't tell

OneUnited24

I made a post before over here disparaging arteta and saying bow ole is miles above him, but now with ole gone and their recent success ? I have to concede, I ain't too sure anymore, I watched them in the past few games and they really seem to be building toward something over there and have actually found some consistency a big downside of them before .

But it's just so hard to tell with these lot as they've had purple patches previously and you just get the underlying feeling that they're a hammering or a bad run of results away from the typical total meltdown and chaos they've become famous for.

Have they finally turned a corner or is it just another false start? I genuinely can't tell
TBF they had a week off while City had a tough mid-week game. I think the freshness in Arsenal was very evident after the opening 20-30 minutes. Side story: This is the issue i have with calling games off, a game is prosposed because one team has a COVID outbreak but the other has time to rest up during a normaly busy period which gives them the advantage for the following game.

I think it really is the same old Arsenal. I've lost count of the times they have spells where they beat poor teams then play a top side and give a good account but still lose. Consistancy is their issue and whenever they play a top half team they tend to struggle

Red the Bear

Something less generic
TBF they had a week off while City had a tough mid-week game. I think the freshness in Arsenal was very evident after the opening 20-30 minutes. Side story: This is the issue i have with calling games off, a game is prosposed because one team has a COVID outbreak but the other has time to rest up during a normaly busy period which gives them the advantage for the following game.

I think it really is the same old Arsenal. I've lost count of the times they have spells where they beat poor teams then play a top side and give a good account but still lose. Consistancy is their issue and whenever they play a top half team they tend to struggle
But even then its city we are talking about(with the best squad depth out there so playing 2 games a weeks shuld pose no problem), they managed to outplay them in the first half and were comfortably the better team till the Gabriel send off

Again as you've said its just so hard to tell but they've actually have a very consistent record beating the fodder teams this season so the jury's still up

The upcoming spurs match and the semi final with the pool could make it much more clearer to what's going on

OneUnited24

But even then its city we are talking about(with the best squad depth out there so playing 2 games a weeks shuld pose no problem), they managed to outplay them in the first half and were comfortably the better team till the Gabriel send off
Good point but i believe they only made 3 or 4 changes for this game, most of which in their front line. The rest played on Thursday night and were expected to travel for a Sat lunchtime kick off.

I'm sorry but I dont care who you are but having to play two games in the space of about 36 hours is a joke.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Almost as if you need to weed out high earners who have become too comfortable and be given a bit of time to implement a style of play?

Who knew.
Hence my thread in the utd forum hoping ragnick gives some of the kids a chance.

Tyrion

I'll be honest, last summer when Conte left Inter I watched with besumement as Manchester United and Arsenal didn't offer him their daughters in tribute or whatever the feck else he demanded to take over either of those clubs, but if you told me that by January 2021 one of those clubs wouldn't look like complete lunatic clowns for not doing that and sticking with their guy, i would have bet my house on United/Ole being the ones coming good

This is both surprising to me and also a bit infuriating because it shows i don't know better than the people in charge at Arsenal, and that's not something I, a normal person who follows the sport, can easily accept
Conte wouldn't fit in here because he's successful.

This was a genuine argument Gary Neville made. On television.

copen1945

Conte wouldn't fit in here because he's successful.

This was a genuine argument Gary Neville made. On television.
That is nice. He had been appointed as the Special Advisor to the office of Director of Football of Manchester United. At least, he has United DNA pouring out of every sweat glands of his.

NoPace

Probably my last post today, but care to explain? Bernardo tries to go over Xhakas leg but there's barely any contact there, and then Xhaka has a handful of his shirt for about a second which on its own wouldn't have brought him down at all.

Like I said, neither would be given as fouls, but because he's on the way down already the shirt pull looks worse. And, again, I can see why it's given as a pen because of both combined so not arguing that.
If a player chops back and beats his man clean and that man throws out a leg to trip him it's a foul/penalty. I thought the shirt pull was incidental and Bernardo was diving by then.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Good point but i believe they only made 3 or 4 changes for this game, most of which in their front line. The rest played on Thursday night and were expected to travel for a Sat lunchtime kick off.

I'm sorry but I dont care who you are but having to play two games in the space of about 36 hours is a joke.
They played Wed night, not Thursday. They play midweek games all the time, not sure why this 1 is deemed as special?

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
They played Wed night, not Thursday. They play midweek games all the time, not sure why this 1 is deemed as special?
There seems to be some new invented fuss about this.

OneUnited24

My bad. Regardless it’s a brutal time of year with non stop games that any rest bite is likely to be an advantage.

I’ve never seen arsenal play with that intensity or drive this season. You were good I’m not disputing that but I can’t help and think it was a rested team vs one that was flagging. Guess we’ll see how arsenal fair in other games this season. Who knows maybe you have turned a corner And these performances will be the norm

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
My bad. Regardless it’s a brutal time of year with non stop games that any rest bite is likely to be an advantage.

I’ve never seen arsenal play with that intensity or drive this season. You were good I’m not disputing that but I can’t help and think it was a rested team vs one that was flagging. Guess we’ll see how arsenal fair in other games this season. Who knows maybe you have turned a corner And these performances will be the norm
Like I said in my earlier post, they played 19th, 26th, 29th & 1st. Next game is vs Swindon on the 7th then vs Chelsea on the 15th. So that will be 1 midweek game in nearly 4 weeks by then. This is probably the time of the season they'll have played the LEAST midweek games.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
:lol: Amazing.

I think my favourite redcafe phenomenon is fans of other clubs creating a profile to sign up for a website dedicated to Manchester United, then telling United fans we’re obsessed about their club!
Sonny, your point would hold more water if you didn't spend more time in the Arteta thread than you do breathing. Let it go, it is honestly embarrassing x

OneUnited24

Like I said in my earlier post, they played 19th, 26th, 29th & 1st. Next game is vs Swindon on the 7th then vs Chelsea on the 15th. So that will be 1 midweek game in nearly 4 weeks by then. This is probably the time of the season they'll have played the LEAST midweek games.
Have you ever seen arsenal play that well this season? When was the last time you saw this type of performance vs a top team? What do you think was the reason?

I myself struggle to think of anything in recent years. Either the penny has finally dropped and you’ll put in similar performances now until the end of the season or you had a few days extra of rest and it showed. I know what my monies on.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Have you ever seen arsenal play that well this season? When was the last time you saw this type of performance vs a top team? What do you think was the reason?

I myself struggle to think of anything in recent years. Either the penny has finally dropped and you’ll put in similar performances now until the end of the season or you had a few days extra of rest and it showed. I know what my monies on.
To be fair, in terms of home games against the big teams, we had only played Chelsea & Spurs. Chelsea was right at the beginning of the season when we had injuries and hadn't really introduced any of the new signings but we were poor, & we played really well vs Spurs, similar to yesterday for the first hour or so & were 3-0 up.

Only other top half team weve played at home is West Ham & that was a good performance as well.