Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
You won't be playing 1 game a week, you probably won't spend as much money as you did last season, you won't have 2 direct competitors sack a manager, not sure why I have to keep repeating this.
Maybe because none of those points are particularly solid.

We’ve played a whopping 3 games less than United this season. It was our first season outside of Europe for over 20 years. We’re familiar with the concept of playing (slightly) more games and will compose our squad accordingly.

I’m surprised that you seem to know for sure what our transfer budget is. I’m even more surprised that you know for certain that it would be lower in a scenario where CL qualification increases our revenue by ten of millions of pounds.

We may in fact have two direct competitors sack their Managers next year. And it would mean as much next year as it does this year - very little. You seem to be confusing cause and effect. The teams that finish in the top four aren’t where they are primarily because the teams below them fire their Managers. The teams below fire their Managers primarily because they they’ve been outperformed by the teams above them.

erinoco

Supports
Arsenal
I have to disagree on this. I think we will just have fund to bring in a striker and may be some spares for squad depth. It also depends on whether the club qualifies for CL as well. Arsenal is doing extremely poor in selling players. We have an army of unwanted players on loan.
Just about securing 4th seems to me to be the sweet spot if the Kroenkes are to shell out for the summer. If we do finish 5th, then the club will be extremely reluctant to spend unless they believe Arteta can make something of it (and, if 4th is lost from here, his stock would fall accordingly). A comfortable 4th, or better, might encourage executives to believe that we can maintain top 4 with a lean squad and the best of Hale End incoming.

Conor

Maybe because none of those points are particularly solid.

We’ve played a whopping 3 games less than United this season. It was our first season outside of Europe for over 20 years. We’re familiar with the concept of playing (slightly) more games and will compose our squad accordingly.

I’m surprised that you seem to know for sure what our transfer budget is. I’m even more surprised that you know for certain that it would be lower in a scenario where CL qualification increases our revenue by ten of millions of pounds.

We may in fact have two direct competitors sack their Managers next year. And it would mean as much next year as it does this year - very little. You seem to be confusing cause and effect. The teams that finish in the top four aren’t where they are primarily because the teams below them fire their Managers. The teams below fire their Managers primarily because they they’ve been outperformed by the teams above them.
On your first point, I'm sure you must be facetiously comparing travelling around Europe to games against powerhouses like Wimbledon and Sunderland. On the transfer budget, I said probably, happy to be proven wrong. Your last point is nonsense, we didn't sack Ole because you were doing better than us, we sacked him because we were atrocious and getting hammered by Watford and the likes. If you can't see that the table would most likely look different if Utd and Spurs had functioning teams for the whole season, then I don't know what to say.

JDDL

Supports
Arsenal
On your first point, I'm sure you must be facetiously comparing travelling around Europe to games against powerhouses like Wimbledon and Sunderland. On the transfer budget, I said probably, happy to be proven wrong. Your last point is nonsense, we didn't sack Ole because you were doing better than us, we sacked him because we were atrocious and getting hammered by Watford and the likes. If you can't see that the table would most likely look different if Utd and Spurs had functioning teams for the whole season, then I don't know what to say.
And the table would look different if Arsenal had a functioning team for the whole season, but our first few games were awful because we didn't. Same for if we had a functioning striker.

See how silly this game is?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
You said we won’t be playing once a week. If you want to move the goalposts from the number of games to the level of opposition - go ahead. Still, I’ve watched dozens of dead rubber CL games where our kids and squad players have played against mediocre European sides. Knockout ties against domestic cups were often stiffer opposition.

You’re right, I missed the word “probably”, that’s my mistake.

Would the league table look different if two of the teams in that league played significantly differently? Yes, it would. Obviously. That’s true of literally every league in every season in history.

If Arsenal finish in the top four, do you think it will be mainly due to:
  • Arsenal’s performances across the 38 games of the season?
  • Or, the team that finished 7th in the 20/21 season finishing 5th this season?

Last edited:

Conor

And the table would look different if Arsenal had a functioning team for the whole season, but our first few games were awful because we didn't. Same for if we had a functioning striker.

See how silly this game is?
It's not silly at all, if you can't grasp context, I don't know what to say.
If Arsenal finish in the top four, do you think it will be mainly due to:
  • Arsenal’s performances across the 38 games of the season?
  • Or, the team that finished 7th in the 20/21 season finishing 5th?
I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant by one game a week, I've mentioned Europe already in my previous posts. With regards to your question, I am of the firm belief that the sole reason Arsenal get 4th(if they do) is from us monumentally shitting the bed.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I have no problem and to be honest do not care if other fans believe Arsenal "may' finish 4th only because Man Utd and Spurs are not at their usual level, or because Arsenal only plays once a week. I also have no issue people think Arteta is a poor manager, as it is for Arteta to prove people wrong. Manager/Head coach nowadays is as good as his last game. Arteta will have next season to prove himself to the board and the fans with European football. We will see how it goes.

I am looking forward to Amazon's All or Nothing Arsenal next season. Behind the scene Aubameyang's conflict with Arteta will be interesting to watch.

I am sure Leicester fans do not care about other teams not at their usual level, or they only played once a week when they won the league title.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
With regards to your question, I am of the firm belief that the sole reason Arsenal get 4th(if they do) is from us monumentally shitting the bed.
“The sole reason”?!? While I’ve disagreed with a lot of what you’ve written, it has so far been coherent (my questions were mainly to clarify what you were saying).

But now I’m not sure whether or not you’re actually on the wind up. And I will never truly know for sure - I guess that’s the maddening beauty of the internet.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I have to disagree on this. I think we will just have fund to bring in a striker and may be some spares for squad depth. It also depends on whether the club qualifies for CL as well. Arsenal is doing extremely poor in selling players. We have an army of unwanted players on loan.
I think you might be pleasently surprised by this. I think the Kronke's are a bit more engaging with Edu & Arteta & realise the size of the task, & that if there isn't at least some investment you'll be overtaken by clubs that do.

European football of any sort should boost revenues on last season, & if they can get a Champions League finish it will significantly improve them. They've also managed to stabilise the wage bill will other clubs are rising, some quite significantly.

I also expect a fair amount of the loan army to finally leave, Mavropanos, Bellerin, Mari, Torriera, Guendouzi are all practically out the door & getting a wee drop in on sales, with the likes of Leno, Maitland-Niles, Nelson, & if the club can somehow sell Pepe they will be joining them, & of course the likes of Nketiah & Lacazette are out of contract.

Anyway, its more than just spending a lot, it's about spending it smart. There's lots of players out there with just 12 months on their deals for instance, Jesus, Tielemans, Bissouma, Aouar, Fabian Ruiz, Douglas Luiz, Asensio, Mukiele, Thuram, Caqueret all guys we've been linked to in the past. Some potentially shrewd players like Aaron Hickey of Bologna that we've just been strongky linked with that can cover both full back roles.

Edu has said they've already put the plans in for the summer & the board have approved, so let's see what they do, I think it should be exciting.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
It's not silly at all, if you can't grasp context, I don't know what to say.

I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant by one game a week, I've mentioned Europe already in my previous posts. With regards to your question, I am of the firm belief that the sole reason Arsenal get 4th(if they do) is from us monumentally shitting the bed.
:lol: Couldn't make it up.

Conor

Happy to be proven wrong next season, Arteta will be in his third year of the job, if you have progressed so much then it should be handy enough to finish over a Utd team with a new manager and a Spurs team that definitely haven't improved with Conte(if he's even still there).

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Let's look at some numbers for Conor. We are talking whoever gets top 4 out of Arsenal & Spurs gets to the 70 point mark or there abouts.
  • Utd has only got 70 points or more in 3 seasons post Fergie
  • They've made the top 4 4 times post Fergie
  • 2 of those times they got 70 points & 66 point totals
  • They actually finished 2nd last year with 74 points.
So yeah, Conor could be actually right. Although so could we if we say the only reason Utd made top 4 in those seasons were because Arsenal monumentally shit the bed.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think you might be pleasently surprised by this. I think the Kronke's are a bit more engaging with Edu & Arteta & realise the size of the task, & that if there isn't at least some investment you'll be overtaken by clubs that do.

European football of any sort should boost revenues on last season, & if they can get a Champions League finish it will significantly improve them. They've also managed to stabilise the wage bill will other clubs are rising, some quite significantly.

I also expect a fair amount of the loan army to finally leave, Mavropanos, Bellerin, Mari, Torriera, Guendouzi are all practically out the door & getting a wee drop in on sales, with the likes of Leno, Maitland-Niles, Nelson, & if the club can somehow sell Pepe they will be joining them, & of course the likes of Nketiah & Lacazette are out of contract.

Anyway, its more than just spending a lot, it's about spending it smart. There's lots of players out there with just 12 months on their deals for instance, Jesus, Tielemans, Bissouma, Aouar, Fabian Ruiz, Douglas Luiz, Asensio, Mukiele, Thuram, Caqueret all guys we've been linked to in the past. Some potentially shrewd players like Aaron Hickey of Bologna that we've just been strongky linked with that can cover both full back roles.

Edu has said they've already put the plans in for the summer & the board have approved, so let's see what they do, I think it should be exciting.
Arsenal has been losing money in the last couple seasons and the owner invested heavily (in Arsenal standard) in Arteta & Edu to overturn the squad last summer. Arsenal is a business to the owner unlike the state backed club so if Arsenal finish 4th and qualify for CL next season Edu may have more fund to play with. Edu needs to be at his very best to bring in cheap unknown talent for Arteta as I don't think Edu can get much money back from the sale of the unwanted players on loan. I am perfectly happy to be wrong of course.

Other than Jesus I don't see any other rumor linked to Arsenal. I hope Nketiah stays and get more playing time, and Michael Olise from Palace to replace Pepe.

Last edited:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal has been losing money in the last couple seasons and the owner invested heavily (in Arsenal standard) in Arteta & Edu to overturn the squad last summer. Arsenal is a business to the owner unlike the state backed club so if Arsenal finish 4th and qualify for CL next season Edu may have more fund to play with. Edu needs to be at his very best to bring in cheap unknown talent for Arteta as I don't think Edu can get much money back from the sale of the unwanted players on loan. I am perfectly happy to be wrong of course.

Other than Jesus I don't see any other rumor linked to Arsenal. I hope Nketiah stays and get more playing time, and Michael Olise from Palace to replace Pepe.
Edu, Arteta, and Josh Kroenke have all said that they intend to spend significantly this summer, that the focus will be bringing in a few players of top quality, and that last summer was Phase 1 of the rebuild while this summer will be Phase 2. We also bid 60-70m for Vlahovic over the winter when CL football was looking unlikely.

I really don't see any reason to believe that we won't spend significant sums this summer, with or without CL football.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Happy to be proven wrong next season, Arteta will be in his third year of the job, if you have progressed so much then it should be handy enough to finish over a Utd team with a new manager and a Spurs team that definitely haven't improved with Conte(if he's even still there).
Do you actually think this?

If so, it really discredits everything else you've said. Spurs went from having the worst running stats in the league, to one of the best with him. They're 3rd in the form table after he took over on November 3rd with 1.9PPG, as opposed to being 9th before that with 1.5 PPG. They have now got a settled starting XI, although the wing backs are still in doubt.

That's a ridiculously bad take.

Conor

Do you actually think this?

If so, it really discredits everything else you've said. Spurs went from having the worst running stats in the league, to one of the best with him. They're 3rd in the form table after he took over on November 3rd with 1.9PPG, as opposed to being 9th before that with 1.5 PPG. They have now got a settled starting XI, although the wing backs are still in doubt.

That's a ridiculously bad take.
No, it was sarcasm, read the conversation I've been having with the poster I responded to, he seemingly thinks that it's made very little difference that Spurs sacked their manager and got Conte in last season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Let's look at some numbers for Conor. We are talking whoever gets top 4 out of Arsenal & Spurs gets to the 70 point mark or there abouts.
So yeah, Conor could be actually right. Although so could we if we say the only reason Utd made top 4 in those seasons were because Arsenal monumentally shit the bed.
Which is the truth.

Although crap and all as they often have been since Wenger left it’s rare enough for Arsenal to shit the bed quite as monumentally as United have this season. But yeah, if Arsenal and Spurs had got their shit together in any of those seasons there was no chance of us getting top four.

It’s definitely kept the top four title race interesting having the usual candidates repeatedly sign managers who aren’t up to the job. As soon as one of them finally gets a really top manager on board that will be the end of CL qualification after a season like Arsenal just had.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
No, it was sarcasm, read the conversation I've been having with the poster I responded to, he seemingly thinks that it's made very little difference that Spurs sacked their manager and got Conte in last season.
So, does Arteta not get any credit for keeping up with that despite having a relatively worse squad if you think Conte has done a good job? Baring in mind there was only 2 points difference when Conte took over, so since he took over we are on the same points?

Appreciate it takes a manager some time to get his methods across (not always, hence new manager bounce), but.. that is countered with Spurs bigger squad which most thing are better and also more experienced? People might say Spurs have played more games, but not really. We've played 30, they've played 32 in that period.

Conor

So, does Arteta not get any credit for keeping up with that despite having a relatively worse squad if you think Conte has done a good job? Baring in mind there was only 2 points difference when Conte took over, so since he took over we are on the same points?

Appreciate it takes a manager some time to get his methods across (not always, hence new manager bounce), but.. that is countered with Spurs bigger squad which most thing are better and also more experienced?
He of course gets some credit for doing a decent job, I just don't think that it's an incredibly impressive feat given the context, and I don't think he is going to make Arsenal a contender long term. If anything, I would flip your statement and say that it's impressive that Conte has been able to get Spurs to perform to a decent level so quickly.

Conor

At least tag me if you're going to try and talk shit. I would 100% agree with any sentiment regarding us only getting good placings in most of those instances due to weakness in the league, because I'm not deluded. You seem to think I just want to shit on Arsenal, but I'm just being realistic about what this top 4 actually means. When everyone outside of the top 2 is finishing miles behind them, with teams losing loads of games they shouldn't etc., then it is not as impressive a feat to achieve top 4 as it is when all teams are firing on all cylinders, and you get it purely from performance. Not sure why this is such a crazy thing to wrap your head around.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He of course gets some credit for doing a decent job, I just don't think that it's an incredibly impressive feat given the context, and I don't think he is going to make Arsenal a contender long term. If anything, I would flip your statement and say that it's impressive that Conte has been able to get Spurs to perform to a decent level so quickly.
Why though? Many think Conte is a world class coach, and he definently has a good squad to work with. Coupled with the fact they spent £60m in January to boost the squad (which it has done), is it that surprising?

We've got to where we are with 3 strikers this season with a combined 8 goals in the premier league, coupled with the fact we weakened our squad in January if anything (I'm still annoyed we didn't sign anyone tbh).

Again, people can talk about the circumstances for Arsenal all they want, but Arteta has largely had a very good season. He had 3 blips, the start of the season (where we barely had a fit squad), the middle (United/Everton/Liverpool losses close together) and recently (where again we had a few injuries, and it took Arteta a few goes to get a balanced XI out).

I am disappointed with the Everton/United losses, but beyond that I can see progress all round, and where we've dropped points I understand why and hope we build on that next year with a better squad.

People are too harsh on Arteta, he's so early in his managerial career, that it will take time. He won't just suddenly be a top manager, he will make many mistakes along the way, it's about learning from them. I suppose Arsenal fans largely have some patience for that (not all fans though), whereas it seems rival fans don't really care.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Why though? Many think Conte is a world class coach, and he definently has a good squad to work with. Coupled with the fact they spent £60m in January to boost the squad (which it has done), is it that surprising?

We've got to where we are with 3 strikers this season with a combined 8 goals in the premier league, coupled with the fact we weakened our squad in January if anything (I'm still annoyed we didn't sign anyone tbh).

Again, people can talk about the circumstances for Arsenal all they want, but Arteta has largely had a very good season. He had 3 blips, the start of the season (where we barely had a fit squad), the middle (United/Everton/Liverpool losses close together) and recently (where again we had a few injuries, and it took Arteta a few goes to get a balanced XI out).

I am disappointed with the Everton/United losses, but beyond that I can see progress all round, and where we've dropped points I understand why and hope we build on that next year with a better squad.

People are too harsh on Arteta, he's so early in his managerial career, that it will take time. He won't just suddenly be a top manager, he will make many mistakes along the way, it's about learning from them. I suppose Arsenal fans largely have some patience for that (not all fans though), whereas it seems rival fans don't really care.
So a great season apart from not doing so great during the… checks notes… beginning, middle and end of the season.

Poor Mikel. So harshly treated…

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
So a great season apart from not doing so great during the… checks notes… beginning, middle and end of the season.
Again, just a pointless post. I explained what I meant. He had 3 rocky periods during this season, of which I can understand the reason behind two. As a fan i'm only really disappointed with the United/Everton period because I can't really explain that one.

If you just want to look at things in black and white, feel free. But i'd rather dig deeper into how we are actually performing and the reasons why we don't get results, and if that's solely down to Arteta or a mix of things.

People who make a comparison with Ole, I feel there is a bit of a difference in that with Ole I always thought he'd drop points out of nowhere and for no reason really, it just would happen. Similar things with United this year, they win some games which you don't think, then lose random ones.

Conor

Answer me this, do you think Arsenal would get top 4 if Conte had been there the whole season? Also, Utd fans have literally gone through the exact situation I'm talking about with Ole, so it's not that we have no patience, it's that it's easy to recognise similarities('progress', league standings, players seem happy).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Answer me this, do you think Arsenal would get top 4 if Conte had been there the whole season? Also, Utd fans have literally gone through the exact situation I'm talking about with Ole, so it's not that we have no patience, it's that it's easy to recognise similarities('progress', league standings, players seem happy).
Don’t forget the “cultural reset”.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Again, just a pointless post. I explained what I meant. He had 3 rocky periods during this season, of which I can understand the reason behind two. As a fan i'm only really disappointed with the United/Everton period because I can't really explain that one.

If you just want to look at things in black and white, feel free. But i'd rather dig deeper into how we are actually performing and the reasons why we don't get results, and if that's solely down to Arteta or a mix of things.

People who make a comparison with Ole, I feel there is a bit of a difference in that with Ole I always thought he'd drop points out of nowhere and for no reason really, it just would happen. Similar things with United this year, they win some games which you don't think, then lose random ones.
Your nuanced explanation for these “rocky periods” seems to begin and end with him not having a fully fit squad all available for selection. Which is hard to take seriously considering it’s exactly the sort of thing every manager at every club has to deal with, repeatedly, every season.

AshRK

But isn't arteta doing the same. Losing randomly to Palace, brighton, Southampton. Ole for all flaws achieved 2nd position while also reaching europa finals. Arteta is lucky this season that all his side had to do was focus on 38 games in PL.

PoTMS

Contract extended. Brilliant news. Arsenal will continue being a nonentity for any of the big trophies.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
That's a tricky one tbh. But, yes I think we'd be up there. I mean, you have to think if you extrapolated his PPG for the whole season, he'd be on 65 points, and we'd currently be on 62 points. And part of me feels we'd have signed someone in Jan if it was that tight and we had ground to make up (although that's hypothetical).

But I have no issues with that point. Conte is a good manager, working with a better and more experienced squad. If he was there the whole season, you'd very much expect them to be above us. And next season, you'd probably expect Spurs to finish above us.

That's where the recruitment in the summer is key, and also hoping that Arteta can kick on as a manager, and some of the players can go up a level too, which is the benefit of having younger players I guess. I really hope having a striker who can actually score 15+ in the league will help.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
So what does a coach that isn't Klopp or Pep need to do to actually be given credit if progress, league standings, and players seeming happy isn't enough?

Just seems like a depressing way of watching football. If you progress next season and the players seem happy, are you not going to give the coach credit just in case it ends up like it did under Ole?

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
But isn't arteta doing the same. Losing randomly to Palace, brighton, Southampton. Ole for all flaws achieved 2nd position while also reaching europa finals. Arteta is lucky this season that all his side had to do was focus on 38 games in PL.
Again, I said above, I can see reasons why we lost those games. Our starting XIs were just completely unbalanced, and as soon as we got 3 starters out our squad depth wasn't upto it. Which, is partly Artetas fault, but at least I can see he's learning from it hence the changes vs Chelsea and after.

I mean you just have to look at xG in those 3 games, it's not like we were outplayed (Palace apart where we were tbf, but that is a tough game regardless). We missed quite a few chances tbh, and conceded from sloppy errors at the back, but when you are missing Tomi, Tierney and Partey, and the replacements are Cedric, Tavares and Sambi, that can happen. Again, hoping improving the squad will help with that.

I mean even just bringing in Elneny has helped massively.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Contract extended. Brilliant news. Arsenal will continue being a nonentity for any of the big trophies.
He has won silverware already and is on course to take the club back to the CL. Great decision by Arsenal, gives the club stability and Arteta the time to fully implement his rebuilding of the team.