Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Very lucky today with the refs but fair play, Arsenal have been both very entertaining to watch and they’re winning games every week. The hype around them so far is pretty justified.
No we weren't we were kicked off the pitch with Jesus getting knocked out with zero consequences. Not even a yellow. Plenty of other inceidents too, Liverpool are scum

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
How are we the only team to have taken points off them this season
They are a very good side (who don't have much depth in the midfield) and missed Partey that day.

I think any prolonged absence for Partey and they will have major issues.

They just don't look the same without him.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
They are a very good side (who don't have much depth in the midfield) and missed Partey that day.

I think any prolonged absence for Partey and they will have major issues.

They just don't look the same without him.
Tbh, this is it.

We are short at DM and another forward. Apart from that, I think we can cover well.

Sambi just is nowhere near Partey, especially positionally. And when you face a counter attacking side, you need a top DM to break play and intercept, which we didn't have.

It's our own fault as we didn't sign anyone, but it is what it is.

I'm hoping we sign a DM in January tbh, and ESR will come back. Then in the summer a winger.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Fair play, he's managed to get me excited about an Arsenal team after a very very long time. Love watching us and long may it continue (please stop shipping cheap goals though thanks).

Shark

@NotShark
They look great at the moment but it's also nine games into the season. We've seen Arse have promising patches before it all crumbling. Let's see how he gets on when the fixtures and pressure really starts building up.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Tbh, this is it.

We are short at DM and another forward. Apart from that, I think we can cover well.

Sambi just is nowhere near Partey, especially positionally. And when you face a counter attacking side, you need a top DM to break play and intercept, which we didn't have.

It's our own fault as we didn't sign anyone, but it is what it is.

I'm hoping we sign a DM in January tbh, and ESR will come back. Then in the summer a winger.

In the current system the DM position is very critical. Its one place where we cant afford to have projects. I have a feeling Sambi will most likely be sold in Jan or next year.

The issue is who do you bring, Its almost impossible to find a like for like replacement for Partey. My choice was Bruno Guimarães but that ship has sailed.
Also we need a winger aswell in Jan. Cant trust ESR (injury prone) / Nelson.

Flexdegea

I was more in shock Liverpool scored 2 against them.

Prob exposed the failing in Arsenal defending but they playing well at the moment.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal

Prob exposed the failing in Arsenal defending but they playing well at the moment.
Liverpool have scored 20 goals this season - only we and City have scored more (Tottenham have also scored 20). For comparison, United has scored 13 (and you have both played a game less than us, City and Tottenham). Scoring is not Liverpool's problem, they have too much attacking talent not to create chances. It's their defence and midfield this season that has not been performing well.

I regret not waking up for this - seemed like a cracking game. I found it interesting that Arteta started Tomi at RB ahead of Tierney (Zinchenko is injured). Not sure if that was a tactical decision or just protecting Tierney who played mid-week? Perhaps a bit of both.
I came into it expecting to drop points because Liverpool's had our number for years now. Haven't watched the game yet but from what I hear we did well to control the game for the most part. What a great start to the week. :D

TheReligion

Abusive

Gabriel was rubbish again and Saliba caught napping by Firminho. Will be interesting to see how they get on against City and Haaland.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No we weren't we were kicked off the pitch with Jesus getting knocked out with zero consequences. Not even a yellow. Plenty of other inceidents too, Liverpool are scum
Very iffy penalty, and Liverpool should have had a penalty. Need to see it again but the Martinelli on Trent looked a bit dodgy too.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Liverpool have scored 20 goals this season - only we and City have scored more (Tottenham have also scored 20). For comparison, United has scored 13 (and you have both played a game less than us, City and Tottenham). Scoring is not Liverpool's problem, they have too much attacking talent not to create chances. It's their defence and midfield this season that has not been performing well.

I regret not waking up for this - seemed like a cracking game. I found it interesting that Arteta started Tomi at RB ahead of Tierney (Zinchenko is injured). Not sure if that was a tactical decision or just protecting Tierney who played mid-week? Perhaps a bit of both.
I came into it expecting to drop points because Liverpool's had our number for years now. Haven't watched the game yet but from what I hear we did well to control the game for the most part. What a great start to the week. :D
Tomiyasu started ahead of Tierney because he's right footed and that would force Salah wider as he would usually cut in onto the left back's right foot. It was a master move by Arteta as that small change basically nullified Liverpool's left sided attack. We also need to remember that Tomiyasu can use both feet very well and he's also a central defender.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

I would argue that 9 of those Liverpool's 20 came against a trash team.

Spurs also scored 10 against a bottom 3 Leicester and Southampton.

ayushreddevil9

They look great at the moment but it's also nine games into the season. We've seen Arse have promising patches before it all crumbling. Let's see how he gets on when the fixtures and pressure really starts building up.
They don't look like a side that would fall off

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Tomiyasu started ahead of Tierney because he's right footed and that would force Salah wider as he would usually cut in onto the left back's right foot. It was a master move by Arteta as that small change basically nullified Liverpool's left sided attack. We also need to remember that Tomiyasu can use both feet very well and he's also a central defender.
The 4CB backline combo worked pretty well apart from the weekly Gabriel mistake...

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I would argue that 9 of those Liverpool's 20 came against a trash team.

Spurs also scored 10 against a bottom 3 Leicester and Southampton.
Does it matter who it was scored against? Should we also minimize City's crazy 33 goals because they've only played United out of the traditional top 6? Apart from United, only Bournemouth and Newcastle are the clubs City's faced in the top half of the table.

Liverpool have more than enough about them to score goals, that's a given. Their defensive frailties this season is why they're 12 points behind top, albeit with a game in hand. The solidity and toughness they've had for many years seems to have drastically disappeared.

Ah, so it was a tactical change. I hadn't had a chance to read up on anything before the match so was surprised as I don't remember Tomiyasu ever playing LB before for us, though I know he plays CB for Japan too.
Our back line really looks pretty good now doesn't it, such a change from having the likes of Mustafi in there. And White, Tomi, Zinchenko are all very versatile. I wonder if this means Tierney maybe isn't the best fit for Arteta's evolving style anymore.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Does it matter who it was scored against? Should we also minimize City's crazy 33 goals because they've only played United out of the traditional top 6? Apart from United, only Bournemouth and Newcastle are the clubs City's faced in the top half of the table.

Liverpool have more than enough about them to score goals, that's a given. Their defensive frailties this season is why they're 12 points behind top, albeit with a game in hand. The solidity and toughness they've had for many years seems to have drastically disappeared.
Yes it does. You are looking at skewed stats and making judgments. Scoring 9 in one game against the worst in the league doesn't tell the whole story.

I don't disagree with their goalscoring prowess but its more like drawing conclusions based on heavily skewed stats. Spurs have been average at best this season but you would point to the goals scored, where again, majority of them came in 2 games.

bringbackbebe

Fair play, he's managed to get me excited about an Arsenal team after a very very long time. Love watching us and long may it continue (please stop shipping cheap goals though thanks).
It's a fairly young side as well. You're only bound to get better over time. Happy to see Arsenal playing this type of football again. Amazing job by Arteta in how he's gone about putting the building blocks together.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yes it does. You are looking at skewed stats and making judgments. Scoring 9 in one game against the worst in the league doesn't tell the whole story.

I don't disagree with their goalscoring prowess but its more like drawing conclusions based on heavily skewed stats. Spurs have been average at best this season but you would point to the goals scored, where again, majority of them came in 2 games.
Yes context is always important. But my point was Liverpool will always create chances, as you agree. The only judgement I made was that Liverpool are still offensively strong and have dangerous players. The problem is midfield/defence hasn't been up to par.
And it's really no surprise they scored 2 against us, isn't this historically the fixture with the most goals in PL history?

Spurs have been inconsistent and don't play the most attractive football ATM but they are sitting 3rd and only 4 points behind top. Not sure that's "average". Unless the league as a whole isn't very strong.

It's a fairly young side as well. You're only bound to get better over time. Happy to see Arsenal playing this type of football again. Amazing job by Arteta in how he's gone about putting the building blocks together.
I think we've got the 2nd or 3rd youngest squad in the league (average age). In our starting X1, only our two CMs are in late their 20s/early 30s. Everyone else is 25 or under.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Very iffy penalty, and Liverpool should have had a penalty. Need to see it again but the Martinelli on Trent looked a bit dodgy too.
They have been lucky so far in that their City game has been postponed. They get demolished then their fragile confidence may start to crack.
The next time they are scheduled to play City will be in April 2023.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It would be interesting to see if City offers the job to him when Pep eventually leaves. And would he take it?
Would City be a bigger job than that of the Arsenal job then?

bringbackbebe

It would be interesting to see if City offers the job to him when Pep eventually leaves. And would he take it?
Would City be a bigger job than that of the Arsenal job then?
He'll take that offer without blinking an eye and he'll also take Saka, Odegaard and Martinelli with him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
You think so? Arsenal's got a deeper history than City. I still think Arsenal's a bigger club than City despite its recent league wins
Edu said Arteta's project is for another 3 to 4 years if I remember correctly. So yes he probably will if he is offered the job at the end of his arsenal contract.

bringbackbebe

You think so? Arsenal's got a deeper history than City. I still think Arsenal's a bigger club than City despite its recent league wins
No manager with ambition is going to say no to take over this City team that Pep will leave behind. It guarantees them multiple trophies and a place in history books.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Booting an ankle with full force is an iffy penalty. While a defender trying to keep his hand low should of been a pen? I don't think so. That aside they got away with murder

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Is it possible to get knocked out without suffering a concussion?

If not (I'm unsure if it is or not) was Jesus faking a serious head injury or are the Arsenal medical team inept?
I thought Jesus should of been taken off. It wasn't faked. Just go back and watch the video of it

Flexdegea

Gabriel was rubbish again and Saliba caught napping by Firminho. Will be interesting to see how they get on against City and Haaland.

From watching Gabriel etc this season halland will bully them.

He defo their weakest link in defence at the moment

Fluctuation0161

He's quite simply benefited from his connections, getting first dibs on City's cast offs.

I still see them dropping off at the end of the season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They look like very good drilled team, they should finish in top 4 easily going by their form and others'.