Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Mate this is not an argument about Ole vs Arteta. From the very beginning I said looking this as a neutral as if they didnt have any attachments to neither club at all.

I do believe they got the job based on their history as players in each club, weather thats enough or not to grant you a chance is another subject but its clear none of them had the credentials based on their manager career to take a top job.

Now the argument was about how Arsenal appointed such an inexperienced manager, I say we kind of did the same thing.

so the hypothetical question is who would you rather take, Pep’s assistant or a manager from the Norwegian league.Without meaning anyone is good enough, deserves the job, etc just who would you rather take?

as I replied to a posters earlier, since people gets sensible and thinks somehow this ls an attack on Ole, lets change the names of the options no Ole or Arteta just 2 random persons with no attachment to the club in any way.

If you had to choose between Pepijn Linjders (Klopps current assistant) or Eling Moe (Moldes current coach) who would you rather get?
This is a thread about arteta. Stop infecting other threads with Ole out stuff

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This Arsenal squad has deteriorated so badly over the past 5 years. Never mind challenging for titles, they need 7 players in the starting eleven just to make top four. And I really don't think Stan Kroenke would spend that amount of money to get them there.
No, I'm not having that. We've shown already we can beat most of the teams in the top half of the table, we just need a bit more quality & more consistency. Theres no team apart from maybe Man City that's far away from us that we need 7 players to catch.

RORY65

No, I'm not having that. We've shown already we can beat most of the teams in the top half of the table, we just need a bit more quality & more consistency. Theres no team apart from maybe Man City that's far away from us that we need 7 players to catch.
But isn't that point with midtable teams, they can play well sometimes but can't do it consistently? You might not need 7 but there would need to investment significantly beyond what Arsenal have previously seemed willing to commit to get back into the mix for the top 4.

Fridge chutney

All teams in the top 5 are comfortably better than Arsenal.

The problem is, Arsenal may improve next season, but so will all other teams in the top 5, except for potentially Leicester because they may struggle to hold onto a couple of players and Vardy will drop off at some point. But they have a structure that has proven very solid so I have more faith in them than Arsenal right now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You need a proper Manager for a start. But I agree, you aren't too far off, your defense has looked semi ok under Arteta but the big issue is that you have very little attacking quality, Southampton have only scored 1 less goal than your lads. That's where you need to strengthen, adding more options as currently you have nobody to come off the bench to be a danger so you can't really change a game. This while keeping hold of all your current players. You can easily turn it around, but will require investment and a change of Management.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
But isn't that point with midtable teams, they can play well sometimes but can't do it consistently? You might not need 7 but there would need to investment significantly beyond what Arsenal have previously seemed willing to commit to get back into the mix for the top 4.
Yeah, true, but like I say, I've seen nothing from the likes of Leicester, Spurs, West Ham & Everton to say we can't be better than them over the course of a season given how we've performed better in the 2nd half of the season & with hopefully a few good additions. Obviously it's more difficult when talking about City, Liverpool, Utd & Chelsea, but we can still be in the mix around that 4th / 5th place, & that's what I'll be expecting of him next season as a next step.

All teams in the top 5 are comfortably better than Arsenal.

The problem is, Arsenal may improve next season, but so will all other teams in the top 5, except for potentially Leicester because they may struggle to hold onto a couple of players and Vardy will drop off at some point. But they have a structure that has proven very solid so I have more faith in them than Arsenal right now.
We automatically assume that every team will add players, that every team will improve, but it doesn't always work like that in reality does it?

You need a proper Manager for a start. But I agree, you aren't too far off, your defense has looked semi ok under Arteta but the big issue is that you have very little attacking quality, Southampton have only scored 1 less goal than your lads. That's where you need to strengthen, adding more options as currently you have nobody to come off the bench to be a danger so you can't really change a game. This while keeping hold of all your current players. You can easily turn it around, but will require investment and a change of Management.
As I've pointed out before, we really suffered first part of the season with creativity & scoring goals. But since he tweaked it at Xmas, we're among the top scorers in the league. It's not great by any means, & still not consistent enough, but there are defo signs of improvement with that regard, that can be worked on further.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I actually think Arsenal does need a new right back, one and maybe even two new centre backs (the fan base really overrates Gabriel), a partner for Partey, a number 10 (Odegaard) would be great, and a left winger/striker (depending where you start Aubameyang). Even Leno hasnt been as good as he once was, that's 5-7 players I'd say, but that would be a very good team as well. Saka, Aubameyang, Partey, Tierney are class. Leno, Gabriel, Pepe , maybe. I think Martinelli / Smith Rowe are too light over a season.

AshRK

I am really confused with your posts. So when someone questions arteta you say it's work in process. And when someone says you don't have a good squad, you defend your players too and say no team.apart from man city that's far away from us. So tell me why are you 10th in the league. Who’s fault is that? Or do you think 10th is a justifiable position.

Fridge chutney

We automatically assume that every team will add players, that every team will improve, but it doesn't always work like that in reality does it?
Of course not. So why would you assume that Arsenal would strengthen over and above the other 9 teams ahead of them? If anything, they'll go backwards when they lose Odegaard.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I am really confused with your posts. So when someone questions arteta you say it's work in process. And when someone says you don't have a good squad, you defend your players too and say no team.apart from man city that's far away from us. So tell me why are you 10th in the league. Who’s fault is that? Or do you think 10th is a justifiable position.
No, 10th is a poor position, there's no getting round that. But I think it's because I've almost split the season in 2. The first part of the season up to Xmas was really poor, & had me worried as we weren't creating, weren't scoring, & were losing games.

Then, for the Chelsea game he tweaked formation, started Smith-Rowe in the 10, started Saka wide right, & all of a sudden things seemed to click. We look a lot more creative, more fluid, & are scoring much more. We scored 12 league goals in 14 games pre Chelsea game, & scored 28 goals in 16 games since.

I know it's a small sample size, but that suggests to me that although far from perfect, things are improving, & I can see some sort of plan & basis of a team coming together that can be semi competitive at the top end of the table.

However, we know we see a drop off when certain players don't play, like our creative players, so we need to get more quality in to improve the team further & help avoid the drop off.

If we can keep the 2nd half of the seasons form up with a little improvement, we should be at least in the top 6. If we regress back to early season play, then yeah, there's no way the manager lasts next season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Of course not. So why would you assume that Arsenal would strengthen over and above the other 9 teams ahead of them? If anything, they'll go backwards when they lose Odegaard.
Basically because I think we are the team that are underachieving most in terms of league position, that our first half of the season form has been like an anchor in that league position, & that I have hope we can continue our 2nd half of the season form & hopefully even improve on it into next season.

I also have hope that our young players like Smith-Rowe, Martinelli, Saliba will have more of an impact over a full season next season than the limited time they've played this.

Again, it's just a hope, its not a guarantee, & of course if things don't go as I hope, the manager will be rightfully under severe pressure.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I will never understand how Emery got such a hard time when he was Arsenal manager when Arteta is clearly a lot worse and taking Arsenal further behind. His treatment of Saliba, Ozil and Martinelli is just baffling and the way Aubameyang has clearly turned to shit is just stark.

Not that I'm complaining. I really can't stand that club and it's deluded fans. But how they blindly accept his management is just bizarre.

Giggs' right foot

I will never understand how Emery got such a hard time when he was Arsenal manager when Arteta is clearly a lot worse and taking Arsenal further behind. His treatment of Saliba, Ozil and Martinelli is just baffling and the way Aubameyang has clearly turned to shit is just stark.

Not that I'm complaining. I really can't stand that club and it's deluded fans. But how they blindly accept his management is just bizarre.
I really don't get it either. Being Pep's assistant looks to be worth gold for the Arsenal fans, despite probably none of them being able to name his assistant in Bayern or his current assistant for that matter. Being a former player can't be it surely - he played about the same amount of games for them, as Blind did for us.

What I will say is... if he manages to win EL - fair fecking play. To me, they look so exhaustingly mediocre but if they achieve that, that will amount to an FA Cup and Europa League in about 17 months from Arteta.

Tallis

If Arsenal finish 10th this season, I think it’s one of the biggest underachievements this season possibly exceeding even Liverpool. They have a big squad - many expensive players. They have some good young players too. I am sure I am exaggerating a bit but it has to be one of the poorest returns from a team after adjusting for investment and squad on paper.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

He lost the dressing room, & became a joke figure, it's simple. Once you lose a dressing room, there is very little coming back from that. If Arteta loses the dressing room, like any manager, he'll be out the door.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He lost the dressing room, & became a joke figure, it's simple. Once you lose a dressing room, there is very little coming back from that. If Arteta loses the dressing room, like any manager, he'll be out the door.
People were taking the piss out of his English....hardly a legitimate reason for becoming a joke figure. And I can't see how he could have lost the dressing room when he's nowhere near as bad as what Arteta is with his man management. However you spin it, the treatment of Emery was unjustified. But if you look at what they did to Wenger it's no surprise really. But that's what makes their acceptance of Arteta so ludicrous. Why is he getting so much slack when he is worse than Wenger ever was at his lowest and clearly worse than Emery?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
People were taking the piss out of his English....hardly a legitimate reason for becoming a joke figure. And I can't see how he could have lost the dressing room when he's nowhere near as bad as what Arteta is with his man management. However you spin it, the treatment of Emery was unjustified. But if you look at what they did to Wenger it's no surprise really. But that's what makes their acceptance of Arteta so ludicrous. Why is he getting so much slack when he is worse than Wenger ever was at his lowest and clearly worse than Emery?
Arteta lucked out with the coronavirus, no fans means no pressure. Even then if we finish 10th and don't win the Europa League, I expect to see him get the sack.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don't make the rules mate, I agree partly with how Emery was treated, especially on a personal level. However, it's 1 thing the media & fans taking the piss out of you, but when your own players are doing it & lose respect for you then that's obviously a major problem.

Then, on the field, the players were lost with his tactics. He started of ok, but the 2nd season was just getting worse & worse, players were all over the place, we were conceding 30+ shots against Watford. When you add all that together there was little hope of Emery turning it round.

If our early season form had continued Arteta would have been under the same pressure. Go on to Arsenal Mania, there's already a lot that want Arteta out, so it's not everyone following him in blind faith.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’s definitely had a longer rope than most managers get. Not sure why they persist with Auba and Pepe out wide, it just doesn’t work at all.
They’re also just not very well ran. They seem to think they have some sort of long term plan but how often does that actually come to fruition? They have some immensely talented young players but that alone isn’t going to get them back in to the top four.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We have problems procuring the best talent because Barca and Real and PSG mop them up. But Arsenal are rightly screwed because they are a level below us. They cannot even compete with us, let alone Barca, Real and PSG, and Bayern as well.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I really don't get it either. Being Pep's assistant looks to be worth gold for the Arsenal fans, despite probably none of them being able to name his assistant in Bayern or his current assistant for that matter. Being a former player can't be it surely - he played about the same amount of games for them, as Blind did for us.

What I will say is... if he manages to win EL - fair fecking play. To me, they look so exhaustingly mediocre but if they achieve that, that will amount to an FA Cup and Europa League in about 17 months from Arteta.
I don't get why people thought Arteta would be a good manager just because he studied under Pep. If this was the case, then why are the following not top managers? Phelan, Meulensteen, Brian Kidd, Jimmy Ryan, Steve McLaren, Queiroz, Phelan. They were all Assistants to arguably the greatest manager of all time, so by the logic of Arteta to Pep, they should all have been world class managers.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I said it the other day but will say it again, his treatment of the likes of Saliba, Ozil and Martinelli is really questionable. Even Nelson (who I don’t especially rate) has been completely starved of playing time.
They need a massive clearout and a changing of the guard, player wise. In Martinelli, Saka, Smith-Rowe, Balogun and Nelson you have a good core of young attacking players.

Giggs' right foot

I don't get why people thought Arteta would be a good manager just because he studied under Pep. If this was the case, then why are the following not top managers? Phelan, Meulensteen, Brian Kidd, Jimmy Ryan, Steve McLaren, Queiroz, Phelan. They were all Assistants to arguably the greatest manager of all time, so by the logic of Arteta to Pep, they should all have been world class managers.
Phelan - so crap you named him twice? ;-)

Pep's Suit

They have so many players that there's no point in thinking what they still need. Of course a better CM than Elneny/Ceballos/Xhaka would help but even now this squad should be fighting for 5th or 6th position with Leicester, Spurs and Everton.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
They have so many players that there's no point in thinking what they still need. Of course a better CM than Elneny/Ceballos/Xhaka would help but even now this squad should be fighting for 5th or 6th position with Leicester, Spurs and Everton.
The defence is shite, the midfield is average at best and the attackers are either too old and past it or young players with potential that they may not reach. Doesn't help when they paid £70m for Pepe who is garbage.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I said it the other day but will say it again, his treatment of the likes of Saliba, Ozil and Martinelli is really questionable. Even Nelson (who I don’t especially rate) has been completely starved of playing time.
They need a massive clearout and a changing of the guard, player wise. In Martinelli, Saka, Smith-Rowe, Balogun and Nelson you have a good core of young attacking players.
Im hoping that will occur naturally in the next couple of years. In the case of Martinelli & Saliba, they are only 19 so that's still really young & they have plenty time. I think he's favouring more senior players just now but Lacazette only has a year left, Auba & Willian 2, Luiz not long to go so there will be a natural turnover anyway.

The defence is shite, the midfield is average at best and the attackers are either too old and past it or young players with potential that they may not reach. Doesn't help when they paid £70m for Pepe who is garbage.
Defence is shit but only conceded 2 more than Utd who are 2nd, so it can't be that bad.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Im hoping that will occur naturally in the next couple of years. In the case of Martinelli & Saliba, they are only 19 so that's still really young & they have plenty time. I think he's favouring more senior players just now but Lacazette only has a year left, Auba & Willian 2, Luiz not long to go so there will be a natural turnover anyway.

Defence is shit but only conceded 2 more than Utd who are 2nd, so it can't be that bad.
That is due to how negative and dull Arteta sets up his team though. United have scored 18 more goals, and when teams set up more attacking they sometimes leave gaps.

Djemba-Djemba

Because Arteta sets up incredibly negative against any half decent team. That's just it, not only have results under Arteta been awful the football you lot play now is dreadful.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That is due to how negative and dull Arteta sets up his team though. United have scored 18 more goals, and when teams set up more attacking they sometimes leave gaps.
Because Arteta sets up incredibly negative against any half decent team. That's just it, not only have results under Arteta been awful the football you lot play now is dreadful.

Yeah, & like I said umpteen times, the goalscoring stat is because of our first half of the season form. Since the formation change in the 2nd half of the season we've only scored 1 less than you, & you scored 9 of them in 1 game.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah, & like I said umpteen times, the goalscoring stat is because of our first half of the season form. Since the formation change in the 2nd half of the season we've only scored 1 less than you, & you scored 9 of them in 1 game.
Well you don't look that much better 2nd half do you?

I mean it's up to you. I hope you get your wish and Arteta stays as manager for a long time to come.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well you don't look that much better 2nd half do you?

I mean it's up to you. I hope you get your wish and Arteta stays as manager for a long time to come.
We look better, but to be fair, the first half of the season was shocking, so the bar was low. The form from Xmas would have us in 4th, so that's better than the 10th we are in now, you have 3 points more than us in the same period.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...e/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2020&min=15&max=30

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We look better, but to be fair, the first half of the season was shocking, so the bar was low. The form from Xmas would have us in 4th, so that's better than the 10th we are in now, you have 3 points more than us in the same period.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...e/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2020&min=15&max=30
Make that 5th, barring a spectacular comeback from Wolves tonight. With 3 points more than Leeds in 7th. Which is pretty dire considering you’re cherry picking a stretch of games that includes your best run of form this season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Make that 5th, barring a spectacular comeback from Wolves tonight. With 3 points more than Leeds in 7th. Which is pretty dire considering you’re cherry picking a stretch of games that includes your best run of form this season.
Yeah, West Ham & Lingard on fire tonight. Still, 5th is better than 10th. Hence why I said I will be expecting at least that & even hoping that it improves next season, or he will get judged accordingly. I can only judge him for how I see us now. I'm just pointing out a few things about our goal scoring & boring play.

I do admit though, we shit the bed whenever we play City & Liverpool. That needs addressing as well. You guys are usually good when coming up against City, makes me a bit jealous.

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What does Martinelli have to do to get a start? Crazy.

Chairman Steve

Is Martinelli actually that good? I know the AFTV posse love him to the point if you made an AFTV bingo card, a mention of him playing would be centre square

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Is Martinelli actually that good? I know the AFTV posse love him to the point if you made an AFTV bingo card, a mention of him playing would be centre square
He would certainly improve how they're playing at the moment. He's a Greenwood-impact style player for them. Gooners are justified in feeling aggrieved by his lack of game time.