Militant Vegans

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Of course you can get protein from a vegan diet but you usually have to work your diet to include it by adding a protein supplement to it (peanut butter etc) whereas you just get protein from a standard meal recipe.

Nothing wrong with veganism nor do I feel they are really that militant. Will I go vegan? No. I like cheese and meat too much and life is too short to eat food I don't enjoy.

ForeverRed1

Of course you can get protein from a vegan diet but you usually have to work your diet to include it by adding a protein supplement to it (peanut butter etc) whereas you just get protein from a standard meal recipe.

Nothing wrong with veganism nor do I feel they are really that militant. Will I go vegan? No. I like cheese and meat too much and life is too short to eat food I don't enjoy.
so when you eat meat, where does the protein come from? As in how do the animals get the protein which you then eat (secondarily)?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do you eat lots of soy then, since you're a vegan? If yes, you can guess my next question...
My jiggly bits are more to do with cookies. :lol:
I don't really consume much soy really tbh. Might have some tofu with pasta or a pot-luck (sometimes hot, sometimes not, always the same recipe) black pepper tofu. Don't like the taste of the milk though, prefer oat.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

so when you eat meat, where does the protein come from? As in how do the animals get the protein which you then eat (secondarily)?
You're correct, I could just get my protein from the grass the cow eats. I should have thought of this sooner and saved the money on that porterhouse I bought.

NotThatSoph

He's also on roids.
He was competing under IFBB, so at least beating the tests, but sure, maybe. Getting truly big with roids still takes a lot of hard work and a proper diet, so if it's impossible for vegans to be strong it's impossible to get that big no matter what you inject yourself with. And as for your comment above, you absolutely do not need protein supplements to cover your protein needs. A lot of vegan trainers do use protein shakes, just like vegetarian and meat eating trainers do, but it's not at all necessary.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

no he really isn’t. Love him and his partner too. Both in incredible shape and extremely health conscious people. Nothing wrong with that.
I'd make the judgement that he is on roids as 99% of people with that physique are. I'll wait for him to post his clean drug tests on YT

Murder on Zidanes Floor

He was competing under IFBB, so at least beating the tests, but sure, maybe. Getting truly big with roids still takes a lot of hard work and a proper diet, so if it's impossible for vegans to be strong it's impossible to get that big no matter what you inject yourself with. And as for your comment above, you absolutely do not need protein supplements to cover your protein needs. A lot of vegan trainers do use protein shakes, just like vegetarian and meat eating trainers do, but it's not at all necessary.
I wasn't belittling it, just saying that if you eat a plate of veg in a stir fry, you'd probably add a meat substitute for texture, flavour and protein, whereas in my stir fry, I have the protein portion in conjunction with the veg and sauce. One isn't better than the other.

Meh, steroids allow you to train harder and more often, they won't make me, a slob, look like that. But I'd say his physique is down to his hard work, dedication, and steroids.

ForeverRed1

You're correct, I could just get my protein from the grass the cow eats. I should have thought of this sooner and saved the money on that porterhouse I bought.
That’s not the point i was making. The point is protein comes from plants so that’s how you can get protein. I was suggesting you eat grass. Damn.

NotThatSoph

I wasn't belittling it, just saying that if you eat a plate of veg in a stir fry, you'd probably add a meat substitute for texture, flavour and protein, whereas in my stir fry, I have the protein portion in conjunction with the veg and sauce. One isn't better than the other.

Meh, steroids allow you to train harder and more often, they won't make me, a slob, look like that. But I'd say his physique is down to his hard work, dedication, and steroids.
You could certainly add a meat substitute if that's what you prefer, when I eat vegan meals (I'm not vegan) I prefer various legumes to be the main protein source. I've never cooked with a meat substitute.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You could certainly add a meat substitute if that's what you prefer, when I eat vegan meals (I'm not vegan) I prefer various legumes to be the main protein source. I've never cooked with a meat substitute.
That's what I mean, you substituted the meat in the recipe for Legumes.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Nimai Delgado has been vegan since 2014. He was raised vegetarian, and has never eaten meat in his life. He competes under IFBB since at least 2019, so if he's doping he is at least beating the tests.
Bodybuilding is marketing, not a sport. He's not competitive in anything, not even in the "sport" of bodybuilding. Bodybuilders are born bodybuilders. This guy competes in "physique", which is modeling with steroids and he isn't competitive in it. There are a lot of IFBB pro card holders. it makes the IFBB quite a bit of money and this bloke hasn't won anything other than the minor competitions that got him his pro card (at 100$ a year I think?). He makes his money off sponsorships and marketing, off gullible vegans, not unlike other bodybuilders that do this through supplements to the wider population.

Bodybuilder worried about impotence shock. Who would have guessed?
I'm a recreational athlete, not a bodybuilder. I'm a gay woman, so I don't give a feck about male impotence.
Wasn't this debunked?
Hypogonadism and erectile dysfunction associated with soy product consumption
An unusual case of gynecomastia associated with soy product consumption

As someone serious about training and health, I avoid regular intake of soy foods, and I'd recommend others serious about their training to avoid large quantities.

Most of this is nonsense.

The bit about 150-200g of protein as well. That's two protein shakes, two cups of beans and regular food.
:lol:

The only thing nonsense here is your own post. a scoop of whey protein (30g) contains 25g of protein. It's about 22g for a similar serving of pea protein. A cup of cooked beans is about 15g. Two of those added makes about 52 grams of protein added all together over 600 calories.

I don't know what kind of "regular food" you're talking about. but lets add some nuts and bread. 100g of walnuts contain about 15g of protein (at 600 calories)

100g of whole wheat bread (almost 3 slices) is 13g of protein at about 250 calories.

Let's say we add 9 slices of bread and 100g of walnuts. We're at 1950 calories with 106g of protein.

That's a perfectly adequate amount for a sedentary person, but not for a lifter, let alone one of old age. The protein is also of inferior quality. Animal products contain far higher amounts of the amino acids that drive muscle protein synthesis, most importantly leucine (and isoleucine and valine to a lesser extent). 100g of bread contains 0,33g of leucine. 100g of lean chicken breast 2,5g. (whey has 2,5g of leucine per 30g scoop!)

The point of training is to get stronger. Strong correlates very well with a reduction of all cause mortality (and grip strength even a better predictor of early death than blood pressure). It's also very important for quality of life, especially in elderly populations. Think about nursing home populations. Yes, they have some underlying conditions, but those conditions make them weak, and that's why they're in a nursing home and can't get of the toilet without using their hands or keeping falling and breaking their hips. Their absorption for protein is also decreased. If you wanted to get them out of the nursing home, you'd have them resistance train and eat adequate amounts of protein, which cannot be done on a vegan diet without taking a a lot of protein powder and other pills. Promoting a vegan diet for this rather large population is irresponsible.

You've listen to too much vegan propaganda and didn't do enough critical thinking.

You calling it "nonsense", just means you don't want to accept it as true because it clashes with your established beliefs. If you want an actual discussion about it, you need to be more specific.

NotThatSoph

Bodybuilding is marketing, not a sport. He's not competitive in anything, not even in the "sport" of bodybuilding. Bodybuilders are born bodybuilders. This guy competes in "physique", which is modeling with steroids and he isn't competitive in it. There are a lot of IFBB pro card holders. it makes the IFBB quite a bit of money and this bloke hasn't won anything other than the minor competitions that got him his pro card (at 100$ a year I think?). He makes his money off sponsorships and marketing, off gullible vegans, not unlike other bodybuilders that do this through supplements to the wider population.
Ryan Stills is a vegan powerlifter. IPF Masters' World Champion. A total of 872.5 kg. Is he strong?

Kendrick Farris is a vegan olympic weightlifter. He finished 11th in the 94kg division in Rio 2016, competing for Team USA. During the trials he beat the US national record with a total of 377 kg. Is he strong?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ryan Stills is a vegan powerlifter. IPF Masters' World Champion. A total of 872.5 kg. Is he strong?

Kendrick Farris is a vegan olympic weightlifter. He finished 11th in the 94kg division in Rio 2016, competing for Team USA. During the trials he beat the US national record with a total of 377 kg. Is he strong?
1. They didn't get big and strong on a vegan diet.
2. They're taking a ton of plant-based protein powder.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm a recreational athlete, not a bodybuilder. I'm a gay woman, so I don't give a feck about male impotence.
Hypogonadism and erectile dysfunction associated with soy product consumption
An unusual case of gynecomastia associated with soy product consumption

As someone serious about training and health, I avoid regular intake of soy foods, and I'd recommend others serious about their training to avoid large quantities.
I do feel a bit sorry for that 1 vegan guy with type 1 diabetes who suffered from erectile dysfunction. I'm not entirely sure that proves soy caused it though.

NotThatSoph

Alright. So what you're saying is that you can't get big and strong on a vegan diet, but if you have a strong foundation you can get bigger and stronger on a vegan diet?

David Kwaka went vegan in 2014. In 2021 he finished 8th in the World Championship classic 74 kg division with a total of 682.5, and holds the Polish national record.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
no he really isn’t. Love him and his partner too. Both in incredible shape and extremely health conscious people. Nothing wrong with that.
He trains at my local gym.

Anyone in the fitness industry, whether they compete or simply endorse products as influencers, are on some form of PEDs.

Its so routine and casual, that unlike in the social media world, no one even bothers to debate it. The golden rule is to always deny it publicly because it would kill sponsorships that are marketed around the mythology that training hard and buying a particular brand of protein powder (or the like) will, if done right, make you look like the fitness model or bodybuilder you saw recommending the product online or on a magazine cover.

Everyone in the industry knows about what happened to Christian Boeving over a decade ago, and have since adapted accordingly.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Their strength likely came from lifting hard and consuming the right nutrition, alongside a boatload of PEDs. That doesn't however have anything to do with proving a plant based diet is in any way inferior. It certainly is the far healthier option.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Alright. So what you're saying is that you can't get big and strong on a vegan diet, but if you have a strong foundation you can get bigger and stronger on a vegan diet?

David Kwaka went vegan in 2014. In 2021 he finished 8th in the World Championship classic 74 kg division with a total of 682.5, and holds the Polish national record.
No? I'm saying it's easier to maintain a certain amount of mass than it is to build it.

You've mentioned 4 athletes:

One is a physique competitor (glorified model). Required to hold far less muscle mass than actual bodybuilders, (all of whom eat animal products btw. How many bodybuilders at the mr. Olympia are vegan again? Imagine the marketing opportunities if one of them did go vegan. Why havent they?) Are any of the competitors at worlds strongest man vegan? Is eddie hall, was Ed Coan, Karwoski? Furthermore the phyisque athlete was a vegetarian before he went vegan right around the time he started doing his first amateur shows.

The Oly lifter for team USA finished 11th out of 19. at the olympics 94kg weightclass. He finished 6th at the 2008 olympics in the 85kg weightclass with a better total. So he went vegan in 2014, competed 9 kilos heavier and got worse results. Incredible. I think he just decided he wasn't going to be competitive in anything and made a marketing decision. Wasn't this bloke in the vegan propangada film "game changers"? Smart play. Minor point: Team USA is shit.

Does he say how much plant protein powder he's taking? For the math to work (see above) I bet it's over 3 servings at 90 grams. (which is the equivalent at 3 scoops of whey or 5 scoops if you use the pea protein serving size). Whey protein is mostly a convenience for lifters. I've met national powerlifting champions that don't use it at all (and if you look at the protein contents of a big steak, it's obvious why), and a lot of bodybuilders only use it on a cut because of caloric density.

Okay, what about the all the people above him, you know the ones that had 50kgs more on their total?

The Polish dude you mentioned I cannot find with a quick google, but I'll take your word for it. He's 74 kilos. He barely weighs more than me and I'm a female with 20% body fat. He's certainly explosive, but he's not big at all and quite skinny for a lifter. Protein intake recommendations are based on mass for a reason.

A masters category athlete is by definition not an athlete at the highest level and masters competitions aren't necessarily very competitive.

Are you that interested in strength sports that you know all these relative unknown athletes? Or do you frequent certain pro vegan publications that push these guys and did you buy into the fantasy they sell?

Thinking veganism can be an optimal diet for a person looking to get big and strong is a fantasy as much as thinking jay cutlers pre workout supplement will get you additional gainzzz.

Most people could benefit to get stronger for health (or athletic) reasons. If they don't for whatever reason, it's still a slightly suboptimal diet for some people considering the lack of omega 3 fatty acids and not all humans having great ALA conversion rates (provided there is vitamin b12 supplementation of course). This isn't a controversial view.

The most optimal diet following literally all the national health institution guidelines and that of the WHO will contain wild caught fatty fish once or twice a week and some moderate amounts of eggs, dairy and white meat.

@Raoul
See last 2 paragraphs. No it isn't "the healthier option", that's why the nutritional guidelines don't support it. Any study comparing vegans vs omnivores isn't taking into account one group has done a dietary intervention and the other hasn't. Correlation =/= causation.

NotThatSoph

Thinking veganism can be an optimal diet for a person looking to get big and strong is a fantasy as much as thinking jay cutlers pre workout supplement will get you additional gainzzz.
No one has said anything about optimal. You said you can't get strong on a vegan diet, it's a crazy thing to say.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No? I'm saying it's easier to maintain a certain amount of mass than it is to build it.

You've mentioned 4 athletes:

One is a physique competitor (glorified model). Required to hold far less muscle mass than actual bodybuilders, (all of whom eat animal products btw. How many bodybuilders at the mr. Olympia are vegan again? Imagine the marketing opportunities if one of them did go vegan. Why havent they?) Are any of the competitors at worlds strongest man vegan? Is eddie hall, was Ed Coan, Karwoski? Furthermore the phyisque athlete was a vegetarian before he went vegan right around the time he started doing his first amateur shows.

The Oly lifter for team USA finished 11th out of 19. at the olympics 94kg weightclass. He finished 6th at the 2008 olympics in the 85kg weightclass with a better total. So he went vegan in 2014, competed 9 kilos heavier and got worse results. Incredible. I think he just decided he wasn't going to be competitive in anything and made a marketing decision. Wasn't this bloke in the vegan propangada film "game changers"? Smart play. Minor point: Team USA is shit.

Does he say how much plant protein powder he's taking? For the math to work (see above) I bet it's over 3 servings at 90 grams. (which is the equivalent at 3 scoops of whey or 5 scoops if you use the pea protein serving size). Whey protein is mostly a convenience for lifters. I've met national powerlifting champions that don't use it at all (and if you look at the protein contents of a big steak, it's obvious why), and a lot of bodybuilders only use it on a cut because of caloric density.

Okay, what about the all the people above him, you know the ones that had 50kgs more on their total?

The Polish dude you mentioned I cannot find with a quick google, but I'll take your word for it. He's 74 kilos. He barely weighs more than me and I'm a female with 20% body fat. He's certainly explosive, but he's not big at all and quite skinny for a lifter. Protein intake recommendations are based on mass for a reason.

A masters category athlete is by definition not an athlete at the highest level and masters competitions aren't necessarily very competitive.

Are you that interested in strength sports that you know all these relative unknown athletes? Or do you frequent certain pro vegan publications that push these guys and did you buy into the fantasy they sell?

Most people could benefit to get stronger for health (or athletic) reasons. If they don't for whatever reason, it's still a slightly suboptimal diet for some people considering the lack of omega 3 fatty acids and not all humans having great ALA conversion rates (provided there is vitamin b12 supplementation of course). This isn't a controversial view.

The most optimal diet following literally all the national health institution guidelines and that of the WHO will contain wild caught fatty fish once or twice a week and some moderate amounts of eggs, dairy and white meat.

@Raoul
See last 2 paragraphs. No it isn't "the healthier option", that's why the nutritional guidelines don't support it. Any study comparing vegans vs omnivores isn't taking into account one group has done a dietary intervention and the other hasn't. Correlation =/= causation.
We're not talking about Vegans (which includes junk food). I'm talking about a proper plant based diet built around whole foods. There's a mountain of evidence based research that it is light years healthier than regularly eating meat, which promotes heart disease, diabetes, and endothelial dysfunction.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No one has said anything about optimal. You said you can't get strong on a vegan diet, it's a crazy thing to say.
I said big and strong. It's not "crazy", literally everyone that has ever competed at the Mr Olympia, or world strongest man, or at the highest levels of powerlifting or olympic weightlifting eats animal products.

You mentioned:
  • One olympic lifter representing a shit country that gained 9 freakin' kilos after switching to a vegan diet and got weaker.
  • A 74kg small guy.
  • A masters lifter, which isn't the highest level of anything or truly competitive (still impressive, mind!)
  • And a model on steroids.
And by the way:

He was competing under IFBB, so at least beating the tests, but sure, maybe.
you only need to google some of the women that compete in IFBB competitions (personal tip: Danielle Mastromatteo) to know that he's obviously juicing. You cannot maintain that amount of mass at those body fat levels without it.

We're not talking about Vegans (which includes junk food). I'm talking about a proper plant based diet built around whole foods. There's a mountain of evidence based research that it is light years healthier than regularly eating meat, which promotes heart disease, diabetes, and endothelial dysfunction.
Somehow we can take junk food out of the equation (you know the type of stuff frequently found in vegan meat replacements), but this liberty isn't extended to processed meat?

Studies show dairy, white meat and egg intake to be perfectly healthy that's why the health organizations that set nutritional guidelines based on all available data don't recommending removing these from the diet for health reasons.

And to quote the greatest British invention, the NHS:
Omega-3 fatty acids, primarily those found in oily fish, can help maintain a healthy heart and reduce the risk of heart disease when eaten as part of a healthy diet.

Evidence suggests that plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids may not have the same benefits in reducing the risk of heart disease as those in oily fish.
So a vegan is missing the benefits from Omega 3 fatty acids from animals, he needs to supplement B12 to get any at all, and he needs to supplement with a bunch of protein powder to optimally recover from resistance training, which he should be doing twice a week minimum if he's following health guidelines.

You can be healthy on a vegan diet, but it's a lot of work and it's suboptimal compared to a diet that includes moderate amounts of eggs, unprocessed white meat and dairy.

The limitations on animal products from health organizations (depending on the product) is typically based on environmentalism. Cheese and red meat are exceptions here.

The vegan diet also is not for everybody, and the example of an elderly person in (or close to entering) a nursing home is a good example. I'd be more concerned with training him to walk, doing a leg press or squatting to a progressively lower box once a week and having him recover from that stress with adequate protein intake (which needs to be higher via reduced absorption) than "endothelial dysfunction" or whatever bullshit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Beans are a great source since they have protein and lots of fiber. Most humans don’t need nearly as much protein as they think. Somewhere between 40-80g per day depending on activity level is sufficient.

If one has been brainwashed by bodybuilding and fitness culture to where they are convinced they need a gram of protein per pound of body weight each day, then that’s easily accomplished with a combination of two protein shakes and regular food (beans, tofu, seitan, veg etc).

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Beans are a great source since they have protein and lots of fiber. Most humans don’t need nearly as much protein as they think. Somewhere between 40-80g per day depending on activity level is sufficient.

If one has been brainwashed by bodybuilding and fitness culture to where they are convinced they need a gram of protein per pound of body weight each day, then that’s easily accomplished with a combination of two protein shakes and regular food (beans, tofu, seitan, veg etc).
It was one protein shake and 2 cups of beans + regular food a couple of hours ago?

Protein intake recommendations are based on bodyweight and your number of 40-80 grams is somewhere between the amount required to not starve and the lower range of baseline guideline recommendations for healthy adults

You're unaware of the differences between EAR, RDA, UL and protein needs for maximizing resistance training outcomes.
Next, we have several formal guidelines for protein intake requirements for adults. Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) are reference values that estimate nutrient intakes for planning and assessing the diets of healthy individuals. The DRIs start with the Estimated Average Requirement (EAR), which is the intake level for a nutrient that meets the needs of 50% of the population. This means that the other 50% of the population will not have their needs met. These are based on a review of the relevant professional research literature on the subject. The remaining reference intakes will be examined in the upcoming articles in this series, so it’s best to introduce and define them here.

• Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA): The RDA is dependent on the EAR. If there is no EAR, there will be no RDA. The RDA is set at the EAR plus twice the standard deviation (SD) if known. The average daily dietary intake level that is sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all (97 to 98 percent) healthy individuals in a group.
  • Adequate Intake (AI): A value based on observed or experimentally determined approximations of a given nutrient intake by healthy people. This is used when there is no RDA available.
  • Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL): The highest level of daily nutrient intake that is likely to pose no risk of adverse health effects to almost all individuals in the general population. As intake increases above the UL, the risk of adverse effects increases. It is important to note that not all nutrients have a UL.
You can find the full article here with sources

With regards to optimizing resistance training outcomes:
The current Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per kilogram bodyweight per day in order to meet the nutrient requirements for healthy adults. IOM 2005 Recently, it has been suggested that the RDA-recommended protein intake may be inadequate for individuals who regularly exercise, are losing weight, and for aging individuals (more on this here, here, here, and here). Deer 2016 Phillips 2016 Wolfe 2008 Lonnie 2018

With respect to resistance training, a 2018 meta-analysis reviewed 49 studies that included 1,863 subjects to determine what level of protein intake was associated with the greatest strength and muscle mass improvements. In that study, it was found that intakes of 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram bodyweight per day optimized resistance training outcomes, e.g. muscle hypertrophy and 1RM improvements.Morton 2018 A recent review recommends a similar protein intake, e.g. 1.4 g/kg/day, for endurance athletes. Vitale 2019 The 2019 International Association of Athletics Federations Consensus Statement supports these findings and recommends that athletes who are maintaining or gaining weight ingest 1.3 to 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram bodyweight per day.Burke 2019

However, it has been shown that very lean, hard-training individuals may require up to 2.3-3.1 grams of protein per kilogram per day in order to minimize lean body mass losses, e.g. a negative nitrogen balance.Helms 2014 This later finding is corroborated by the The International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) in their 2018 sports nutrition review where they suggest that individuals who are losing weight may benefit from this higher level of protein intake. Kersick 2018

Full article here

Murder on Zidanes Floor

I get all that and agree. Just the idea that the protein in beef is from plants, hence why we can get protein from plants is incorrect.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

It's factually incorrect and misinformation. See post above.
No, I'm talking about cows and their digestion.

Protein for weight training - output - is different for standard living. But yeah, good protein intake is good, too much is bad for kidneys. Balance is key.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No, I'm talking about cows and their digestion.

Protein for weight training - output - is different for standard living. But yeah, good protein intake is good, too much is bad for kidneys. Balance is key.
Good point. There's no need for excessive protein, and in fact its been linked to greater cancer risk, in addition to the usual suspects (heart disease, obesity, diabetes etc). The healthiest cultures on earth eat it very sparingly, whereas some of the unhealthiest consume it in abundance. This is why these "eat more protein" debates should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.