Millwall fans is racist scum shocker

RochaRoja

Blows my mind that anyone from an ethnic minority background would choose to support them.

DBT85

Its ok, they are going to help with the "alleged" racism.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They have worked hard on this. Theo paphitis was always saying they'd ban anyone responsible.

That clip seemed to show 100s.chanting though. And no team like millwall can afford to ban that many fans.

The area strikes me as the type that someone like tommy robinson would frequent to whip up hate.
Have to say they haven’t really done anything though. Whenever I’ve been on the stands, it’s still there and I’ve not heard of many being banned.

It’s strange as Bermondsey is pretty diverse, I used to work in the schools round there 10 years ago and it didn’t seem like the place Robinson would get any joy. I also played in a charity tournament at the den and the local “young lions” team put out by millwall didn’t have a single white guy playing. I’m struggling to see where it comes from - considering the area.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Their racist chants aren't even intelligent. Did it not occur to them that one is a region and one is a country of origin? Also I find the work paki being censored hilarious as an asian british. That's a normal word to most of us and someone using it as an insult doesn't make all that much sense (its just a way to shorten pakistani, it's not an insult in many people's view). It's a bit like the latin word 'negro', it's either a neutral term or a term of endearment, it's not an insult unless its worded very specifically.

Tibs

Has this even been on the news? (The stand chanting, not the poor kid)

0le

Their racist chants aren't even intelligent. Did it not occur to them that one is a region and one is a country of origin? Also I find the work paki being censored hilarious as an asian british. That's a normal word to most of us and someone using it as an insult doesn't make all that much sense (its just a way to shorten pakistani, it's not an insult in many people's view). It's a bit like the latin word 'negro', it's either a neutral term or a term of endearment, it's not an insult unless its worded very specifically.
The power of words always depends on the context in which they are being used. Your suggestion that most people find the use of the word "paki" is, in my opinion, a dangerously naive viewpoint as well. I would suggest you do not go around calling strangers "paki".

It’s strange as Bermondsey is pretty diverse, I used to work in the schools round there 10 years ago and it didn’t seem like the place Robinson would get any joy. I also played in a charity tournament at the den and the local “young lions” team put out by millwall didn’t have a single white guy playing. I’m struggling to see where it comes from - considering the area.
I do not believe at all that it is strange nor surprising. On the contrary, the diversity makes it all the more obvious. A minority of people will blame people of colour and/or migrants for some or all the issues they face, such as unemployment. This was used, in part, during the Brexit debates.

Has this even been on the news? (The stand chanting, not the poor kid)
I can't see anything mentioned about it on the BBC sports homepage website and I don't expect it to either. The best case scenario would be for Millwall to be banned from the cup and for Everton to go through by default, however they won't even receive a fine.

RochaRoja

The power of words always depends on the context in which they are being used. Your suggestion that most people find the use of the word "paki" is, in my opinion, a dangerously naive viewpoint as well. I would suggest you do not go around calling strangers "paki".

I do not believe at all that it is strange nor surprising. On the contrary, the diversity makes it all the more obvious. A minority of people will blame people of colour and/or migrants for some or all the issues they face, such as unemployment. This was used, in part, during the Brexit debates.

I can't see anything mentioned about it on the BBC sports homepage website and I don't expect it to either. The best case scenario would be for Millwall to be banned from the cup and for Everton to go through by default, however they won't even receive a fine.
From my experience, the P word is probably the second most taboo slur in the UK after the N word.

Maybe things have changed now or there could be regional differences as mentioned above.

0le

BBC reported the chanting in an article about the violence outside the stadium.
Ah, hidden away. I'm sure the article headlined, "Six TV shows fans would love to see brought back", is far more important in the view of the BBC to show its readers because it makes front page news.

predator

Youth NITK
Loads of working class men fighting eachother over another load of blokes who get paid millions to kick a ball around a pitch. You have to laugh really.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Who said most people? I said most people that are Asian British. I find it ridiculously condescending to call my view point naive when it's a first hand account of how the word is perceived. Your suggestion of not calling strangers 'paki' is also ludicrous, why would I go up to a stranger and call them a slang term? You know this is pretty standard for minorities to have words of endearment for each other that are exclusive to them right? If I called a stranger on the street a 'paki' they'd be extremely confused since I'm a stranger and also most likely come from the same place as them.

Furthermore, the word c*nt is extremely offensive in many parts of the USA, while used in every other sentence in Australia. Shocker, that different groups of people use words differently.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I find it weird how grown men take so much pride in being "hard" and act like pricks to prove it. It's like their whole fan base is made up of 11 year olds.

0le

Who said most people? I said most people that are Asian British. I find it ridiculously condescending to call my view point naive when it's a first hand account of how the word is perceived. Your suggestion of not calling strangers 'paki' is also ludicrous, why would I go up to a stranger and call them a slang term? You know this is pretty standard for minorities to have words of endearment for each other that are exclusive to them right? If I called a stranger on the street a 'paki' they'd be extremely confused since I'm a stranger and also most likely come from the same place as them.

Furthermore, the word c*nt is extremely offensive in many parts of the USA, while used in every other sentence in Australia. Shocker, that different groups of people use words differently.
You are still making a generalization that most British Asian people find the word inoffensive. I strongly beg to differ.

CallyRed

Have to say they haven’t really done anything though. Whenever I’ve been on the stands, it’s still there and I’ve not heard of many being banned.

A lot of the Millwall fan base are spread across the South East, all the way through to Kent.

I mean, they even have divisions within their own group. Kent Millwall fans often end up fighting London Millwall fans, because they just want to scrap and cos there fecking thick.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A lot of the Millwall fan base are spread across the South East, all the way through to Kent.

I mean, they even have divisions within their own group. Kent Millwall fans often end up fighting London Millwall fans, because they just want to scrap and cos there fecking thick.
Haha yeah, I grew up in the south east of London, on the border of Kent, so I am well aware of those fans - know quite a few too!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's quite awkward to write a reply to this, as you've obviously lived stuff relating to this in a way I haven't.

But your post makes no sense to me.
The "chant" (while certainly not intelligent), isn't comparing a country to a place. It's not saying i'd rather go to Pakistan than Liverpool, it is very clearly targeting individuals, and with a word that most see as pretty offensive.

You then say the P word isn't offensive unless used in a specific way. These people ARE using it in that specific way, so of course they're going to9 censor it!
It's also not the same as the word Negro. It's the other N word that is the equivalent, and gets short shrift from most people who hear it.

CallyRed

Haha yeah, I grew up in the south east of London, on the border of Kent, so I am well aware of those fans - know quite a few too!
Haha. I spent a lot of my youth in SE London and have family who support Millwall.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bad enough teaching a kid the swears, although I expect a lot on this forum think that's acceptable.
But then that ending?! Oh my word, that kid is going to grow up a horrible piece of work.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

That's always the type of area this starts up from! Throughout history you get some disenchanted group blaming their own sh!t lives on the easiest scapegoat.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

You said it's either a neutral term, or a term of endearment!
Yet then say "well, why on earth would I say it to a stranger" :lol::lol:

Well, I thought it was a term of endearment a second ago :wenger:

RedDevilRoshi

Jeez, you must still be living in the Maggie Thatcher days as that is a load of nonsense! No one in the British Asian community would accept being called a “paki” no matter the way it is specifically worded as a joke or someone being serious. For you to say it’s not an insult to address someone from the British Asian community in that term is absolutely a load of utter garbage!

I’m British Asian myself and if someone called me a “paki”, I’d be extremely upset and hurt as it is simply a racist word to address someone that is Indian/Pakistani.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Its ok, they are going to help with the "alleged" racism.
It'd be pretty easy to identify a lot of people from that clip.

There's no way in hell they are banning them all for life though! They don't have unlimited fans!

Andy_Cole

So is this worse than the Park chant?
Yes as for no reason they have singled out British Asians as the low of the low. Whereas we’re singing a song about a specific player. It’s as bad as using N**g*r as the skinheads in the 80s (and also post-9/11) targeted and abused British Asians with using the work ‘Paki’.

Won't stop them going and starting shit. It's Millwall.

Even the "Lion of London Bridge" who fought off the terrorist during the stabbings a while back who screamed "feck you I'm Millwall" who the press put on a pedestal afterwards turned out to be a massively racist cnut. Shocker.

It's a racial stereotype most often used in a derogatory manner.

Is it racist to call Pakistanis "Paki" when we call the Scottish "Scots", the British "Brits" or Australians "cnuts"? Yes, because of the intent behind it.

As is often the case, if you have to use the words "is it racist" the answer is almost always yes.
Also the fact that Paki is used against every brown person in UK. I’m Indian and have been called one various times.