Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
In the same age group? Why are none of them starting ahead of Jack in the England U16s?
That’s a bold statement when Jack Fletcher is seemingly first choice for England U16s
Haven’t seen much of the Fletcher lads so I can’t comment on them but Jayce Fitzgerald has the same amount of caps and starts for England u16s as Jack Fletcher does. He’s just played CB in a 3 for England but he’s actually a CM.

He’s also already become a regular for our u18s and easily one of our best players while Jack hasn’t made a single start at u18s level. Someone who has seen enough of both may easily prefer Fitzgerald as he’s a great player.

Prodigal7

Haven’t seen much of the Fletcher lads so I can’t comment on them but Jayce Fitzgerald has the same amount of caps and starts for England u16s as Jack Fletcher does. He’s just played CB in a 3 for England but he’s actually a CM.

He’s also already become a regular for our u18s and easily one of our best players while Jack hasn’t made a single start at u18s level. Someone who has seen enough of both may easily prefer Fitzgerald as he’s a great player.
Appreciate the info. I’ve followed the England 16s squad a fair few times though. Whenever everyone is fit Fletcher starts as one of the 8s. Not saying he’s better or worse than Fitzgerald as they play in different positions imo (Fitzgerald is more of a 6).

Bigsid

Given this is likely one of the biggest investments we have made at that age in recent years am sure they will be given lots of opportunity. No youth coach will have the balls to not play em with their Dads status at the club.

Borninthe80ts

I’m just glad to see us being active early and picking up talented young players. It feels like in the past we have missed out or just not moved for some of these England youth players so hopefully it continues. Not that youth caps equates to success but it a nice change.

Be interesting to see how things shake out in regards to who gets a chance and when. Being in the UEFA Youth league will mean more games and opportunities. Maybe even injured players getting a decent run.

PS18

We definitely already have better players in the same positions.
Schrodinger's academy - simultaneously not very good but producing better players (plural) in the same positions than a pair of U16 youth internationals

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The 15 year old from Sunderland, Chris Rigg is a fantastic young midfielder for his age. It looks like he's staying put at Sunderland for now with both United and Newcastle making offers to sign him. But he's definitely someone to keep a close eye on imo.

Prodigal7

Nwaneri staying at Arsenal apparently. Would have been a great addition for us but glad to not see him at City or Chelsea. Perhaps we can even pull off a Van Persie further down the line.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
@Beaucoup saying in the other thread that the deal is done.

meanwhile Jimoh(who we were linked too) off to Villa and Rigg stays at Sunderland.

khoazany

It's always good to add good talents regardless of who you already have. In terms of squad though I think the new intake is already good-looking if you add Amass and the Fletcher(s) in. Maybe one more GK and one more attacker? And obviously we gonna have at least Ibragimov and Mantato playing up as well.

GK
Kamason - Munro - Harrison - Amass
Fitzegald - Fletcher
Lacey - Scanlon - Biancheri
Musa

Plus Fletcher, Devaney, etc (I don't know what happened with Baumann).

Gungerz

Maybe one more GK and one more attacker
We're allowed a max of 16 scholars this year so I'm not sure we can bring in anyone else after the Fletcher twins. Maybe one more if someone like Baumann is released.

Bigsid

It's always good to add good talents regardless of who you already have. In terms of squad though I think the new intake is already good-looking if you add Amass and the Fletcher(s) in. Maybe one more GK and one more attacker? And obviously we gonna have at least Ibragimov and Mantato playing up as well.

GK
Kamason - Munro - Harrison - Amass
Fitzegald - Fletcher
Lacey - Scanlon - Biancheri
Musa

Plus Fletcher, Devaney, etc (I don't know what happened with Baumann).
Signing so many means its very difficult regarding development.. Given number of u18 midfielders game time will be tough to come by. Berry, Curley, Mcallister, Moorhouse, Fletcher, Fletcher, Scanlon, Fitzgerald, Devaney, Baumann, Nehemiah.

3 into 11 will be tough.

Borninthe80ts

Signing so many means its very difficult regarding development.. Given number of u18 midfielders game time will be tough to come by. Berry, Curley, Mcallister, Moorhouse, Fletcher, Fletcher, Scanlon, Fitzgerald, Devaney, Baumann, Nehemiah.

3 into 11 will be tough.

I know some aren’t a fan of this but can’t some of those guys play in other positions? I’ve only seen some of these guys game in clips and one of games. I know this can potentially take away from other players too but may help with development.

You right either way as those numbers don’t go but with recent injuries I can see it hopefully evening out.

Prodigal7

I know some aren’t a fan of this but can’t some of those guys play in other positions? I’ve only seen some of these guys game in clips and one of games. I know this can potentially take away from other players too but may help with development.

You right either way as those numbers don’t go but with recent injuries I can see it hopefully evening out.
Berry has played on the wing a fair bit already. I can see a lot of the second year scholars playing u23s football as well.

Borninthe80ts

Berry has played on the wing a fair bit already. I can see a lot of the second year scholars playing u23s football as well.

I think I remember Moorhouse and Fitzgerald played in defence before, maybe McCallister too.

The thought of others playing up did cross my mind too as I’ve seen rumours we will be loaning a few older guys.

Assuming this means the end of recruitment for this level then too?

PS18

McAllister has played right-back and Fitzgerald centre-back, but feels like a bit of a waste of both.

Nick Cox tweeted about there being 12 new scholars at the induction this weekend. Not sure if Amass would be among them but even 12 plus Amass and the Fletchers would I guess leave space for one more signing potentially?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not 100% sure if this is correct, but I found a list of scholars for United youth intake 2023/24:

William Murdock
Harrison Parker
Reece Munro
Shea Lacey
Harry Amass
Jayden Kamason
Jacob Devaney
Gabriele Biancheri
Jayce Fitzgerald
Zach Baumann
Nehemiah Oriola
James Scanlon
Jack Fletcher
Tyler Fletcher
Victor Musa

Connor C

Not 100% sure if this is correct, but I found a list of scholars for United youth intake 2023/24:

William Murdock
Harrison Parker
Reece Munro
Shea Lacey
Harry Amass
Jayden Kamason
Jacob Devaney
Gabriele Biancheri
Jayce Fitzgerald
Zach Baumann
Nehemiah Oriola
James Scanlon
Jack Fletcher
Tyler Fletcher
Victor Musa
Sekou Kaba been released then? Thought he was quite highly rated when we got him from Derby

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

William Murdock
Harrison Parker
Reece Munro
Shea Lacey
Harry Amass
Jayden Kamason
Jacob Devaney
Gabriele Biancheri
Jayce Fitzgerald
Zach Baumann
Nehemiah Oriola
James Scanlon
Jack Fletcher
Tyler Fletcher
Victor Musa
Think Baumann has been released rather than Kaba. Anyway probably means we'll maybe sign one more.

Pericles

William Murdock
Harrison Parker
Reece Munro
Shea Lacey
Harry Amass
Jayden Kamason
Jacob Devaney
Gabriele Biancheri
Jayce Fitzgerald
Zach Baumann
Nehemiah Oriola
James Scanlon
Jack Fletcher
Tyler Fletcher
Victor Musa
Wasn’t Scanlon part of last year’s intake? He turns 17 in September.

top1whoisman

Scout
Wasn’t Scanlon part of last year’s intake? He turns 17 in September.
Not sure. Found this list from the official website from last summer.

Adam Berry (Forward)
Ruben Curley (Midfielder)
Elyh Harrison (Goalkeeper)
Louis Jackson (Defender)
Jack Kingdon (Defender)
Finley McAllister (Midfielder)
Ashton Missin (Forward)
Jack Moorhouse (Midfielder)
Thomas Myles (Goalkeeper)
James Nolan (Defender)
Habeeb Ogunneye (Defender)
Malachi Sharpe (Forward)
Ethan Wheatley (Forward)
Ethan Williams (Forward)

DekuAstaMeliodasRJK10

William Murdock
Harrison Parker
Reece Munro
Shea Lacey
Harry Amass
Jayden Kamason
Jacob Devaney
Gabriele Biancheri
Jayce Fitzgerald
Zach Baumann
Nehemiah Oriola
James Scanlon
Jack Fletcher
Tyler Fletcher
Victor Musa
When will the scholar list be released officially most clubs have released thier scholar list already

PS18

Was June 27th last year, July 23rd the year before so.... anyone's guess. Next week I'd imagine - maybe trying to finalise the Fletchers' move before they announce.

See a few squad numher changes from those who've reported back today - Mainoo 37 (from 73), Gore 44 (from 71), Jurado 54 (from 63)

top1whoisman

Scout
Was June 27th last year, July 23rd the year before so.... anyone's guess. Next week I'd imagine - maybe trying to finalise the Fletchers' move before they announce.

See a few squad numher changes from those who've reported back today - Mainoo 37 (from 73), Gore 44 (from 71), Jurado 54 (from 63)
Oyedele 68 (74), Hansen-Aarøen 59 (68) - Wellens has left the club.

Borninthe80ts

Who are people looking out for this year then? The progress of talents is never guaranteed of course but it’s nice to enjoy the ride.

I’ve not seen Devaney before so curious and caught glimpses of Munro last season. Maybe Kamason too

top1whoisman

Scout
Who are people looking out for this year then? The progress of talents is never guaranteed of course but it’s nice to enjoy the ride.

I’ve not seen Devaney before so curious and caught glimpses of Munro last season. Maybe Kamason too
In terms of new players breaking into the U18s, I'm interested in seeing how Nehemiah has developed. Might be too early but if we need help in the CB department, I think Kukonki might be ready, both physically as well as in terms of overall ability. Perhaps a spring debut. That being said I hope our CBs stay fit, especially Harrison Parker. Haven't seen a glimpse of him since he joined. :(

Oh and obviously excited to see more of Ibragimov.

Last edited:

Borninthe80ts

In terms of new players breaking into the U18s, I'm interested in seeing how Nehemiah has developed. Might be too early but if we need help in the CB department, I think Kukonki might be ready, both physically as well as in terms of overall ability. Perhaps a spring debut. That being said I hope our CBs stay fit, especially Harrison Parker. Haven't seen a glimpse of him since he joined. :(

I remember a couple of years ago seeing some shorts tournament games, think it was in Poland where Oriola played. Not heard of Kukonki before though , any notes on his style of play? I think we’ve traditionally brought through centre backs in the Axel mode, I’m assuming the physicality is similar? Parker is definitely a prospect, especially on the ball.

Ibragimov is impressive too. For all the classy moments I like that he is brave too. Like Lacey, not afraid of a challenge.

top1whoisman

Scout
I remember a couple of years ago seeing some shorts tournament games, think it was in Poland where Oriola played. Not heard of Kukonki before though , any notes on his style of play? I think we’ve traditionally brought through centre backs in the Axel mode, I’m assuming the physicality is similar? Parker is definitely a prospect, especially on the ball.

Ibragimov is impressive too. For all the classy moments I like that he is brave too. Like Lacey, not afraid of a challenge.
Kukonki is a left-footed LCB, very dominant and a big lad for his age group. Quite composed on the ball and isn't afraid to bring the ball forward and break the lines with his runs. Well, based on the little I've seen.

Will be interesting to see which position Ibragimov will play in in the future.

Borninthe80ts

Kukonki is a left-footed LCB, very dominant and a big lad for his age group. Quite composed on the ball and isn't afraid to bring the ball forward and break the lines with his runs. Well, based on the little I've seen.

Will be interesting to see which position Ibragimov will play in in the future.

Thanks for the info, it’s nice to add to squad balance to have a leftie coming through. Hope he gets a chance to get into the mix. 3 prospects at centre back is a step up from recent years.

Also Ibra seems very adaptable and I hope we give him chances to explore positions. Normally good at that to be fair.

Beaucoup

Pretty sure Nehemiah turned down a scholarship

jb8521

That's why the scholar list hasn't been released yet people haven't accepted or turned down the scholarship and the signings haven't been announced yet
Apart from Amass and the Fletcher's who presumably are waiting on clearance the rest of the scholars had their signing day a week ago

PS18

I'm assuming given Nick Cox said there were 12 at signing day (and if Oriola wasn't one of them and Amass/Fletchers weren't there) we're looking at:

Murdock, Kamason, Munro, Parker, Amass, Fitzgerald, T Fletcher, J Fletcher, Devaney, Baumann, Scanlon, Lacey, Kaba, Musa, Biancheri?

Gungerz

I'm assuming given Nick Cox said there were 12 at signing day (and if Oriola wasn't one of them and Amass/Fletchers weren't there) we're looking at:

Murdock, Kamason, Munro, Parker, Amass, Fitzgerald, T Fletcher, J Fletcher, Devaney, Baumann, Scanlon, Lacey, Kaba, Musa, Biancheri?
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. We would have space for one more addition, although 15 is a very large intake as it is so I think it'll probably stay at that.

By the way, Oriola has started following a number of Brighton players so looks like that could be a possible new destination.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Shame about Oriola - I've seen him a few times in the NI Milk Cup, and a few games for the U18's, and he looked a decent prospect.

But at least we've also got Lacey coming through as a small, left footed attacking midfielder - and I was more excited at what I saw from Lacey than Oriola so glad at least it wasn't Lacey who opted to leave.

Archer

Apart from Amass and the Fletcher's who presumably are waiting on clearance the rest of the scholars had their signing day a week ago
Is Baumann staying? I saw someone tweeted Sanusi gonna join Newcastle, so we still have 1 spot left.