Missing Persons and Unsolved Crimes and Mysteries

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If it turns out she was there the whole time his reputation is in the mud.
The backtracking is well underway. If he didn't want to look like a twat then he shouldn't have categorically said she's not in there.

Brought it upon himself and the whole thing has felt like a PR exercise for his company from the start. Hopefully their reputation is damaged after this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That sort of job seems to attract narcissists with god complexes

ben_united

An autopsy would surely show if she'd been there this whole time, and is and always has been the most likely story. What a shame and tough for the family presuming they'll never know exactly how she fell in there, considering it doesn't look steep etc.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The backtracking is well underway. If he didn't want to look like a twat then he shouldn't have categorically said she's not in there.

Brought it upon himself and the whole thing has felt like a PR exercise for his company from the start. Hopefully their reputation is damaged after this.
Yep. It was stupid of him to make such an unequivocal statement about something he couldn’t possibly know for sure. But more than that, it was cruel. If it had been true that she wasn’t in the river, and no body was found on land, then the chances of her still being alive were logically greater. He shouldn’t have the right to make those kind of statements, it’s appalling.

Havak

Pokemon master
Very likely to be her, such a sad thing to happen, but at least the family will get closure now. RIP.

I think there will always be skepticism about this one as it's become natural for people to become investigators themselves with social media and all the true crime shows.

Going to try and avoid coming across as disrespectful, but I can understand where some of the questions come from about how she'd have fallen in.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Family really went after the press (especially Sky News) in their statement.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Very likely to be her, such a sad thing to happen, but at least the family will get closure now. RIP.

I think there will always be skepticism about this one as it's become natural for people to become investigators themselves with social media and all the true crime shows.

Going to try and avoid coming across as disrespectful, but I can understand where some of the questions come from about how she'd have fallen in.
A lady drowned in a river local to me two months ago - she was sitting on a bench on the path beside the river and her dog was messing about and got into difficulty and she went in to help the dog - then she got into difficulty and sadly drowned.
It happened that fast - only someone was 500 mtrs away and seen her falling in but was too far away to help she may have been swept a mile or two down river and her disappearance would have also been shrouded in mystery

very sad for her and her family.
May they find the strenght to carry on and get through this

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Family statement

Our Family Liaison officers have had to confirm our worst fears today.

We will never be able to comprehend what Nikki had gone through in her last moments and that will never leave us.

We will never forget Nikki, how could we, she was the centre of our world, she was the one who made our lives so special and nothing will cast a shadow over that.

Our girls will get the support they need from the people who love them the most.

And it saddens us to think that one day we will have to explain to them that the press and members of the public accused their dad of wrongdoing, misquoted and vilified friends and family. This is absolutely appalling, they have to be held accountable this cannot happen to another family.

We tried last night to take in what we had been told in the day, only to have Sky News and ITV making contact with us directly when we expressly asked for privacy. They again, have taken it upon themselves to run stories about us to sell papers and increase their own profiles. It is shameful they have acted in this way. Leave us alone now.

Do the press and other media channels and so called professionals not know when to stop? These are our lives and our children's lives.

To those who genuinely helped and supported us, privately, we thank you. The community support in St Michael's, friends', neighbours and strangers has been nothing short of comforting and heart-warming. Friends you know who you are. Thank you.

Our hearts truly break for others who have missing loved ones. Keep that hope alive.

Finally, Nikki, you are no longer a missing person, you have been found, we can let you rest now.

We love you, always have and always will, we'll take it from here xx

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well, shit. RIP.

Glad the family will have some closure despite having learned the worst possible news.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The bloke who gave her partner and young girls false hope should be absolutely ashamed of himself

TheLiverBird

Family really went after the press (especially Sky News) in their statement.
Its sad that the family had such a horrid ordeal with the press that they couldn’t hold back on scathing the press…..and bloody good on them!!

Its utterly despicable, appalling, lower than scum like behaviour from the press to feel they have a right to hound this family, a man in utter distress protecting and shielding his daughters from intrusive cnuts spreading lies in their time of tragedy losing the lady of their lives….way too go press.

The lengths these media folks will go too just to sell stories and line their pockets is imo as disgusting as murderers pedos and rapists, their morals are just the same, Shit

Fergies Gum

I am a bit confused by the family suddenly going after the media to be perfectly honest with you. It was the family themselves who specifically chose Sky News to do a lot of their interviews, so why was the family agreeing to do interviews with specifically Sky if they were not happy with their coverage.

I live locally so was paying close attention to this , but this got way too much coverage nationally.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I see the latest Facebook detectives thing is that the husband did it and dumped the body in the river.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I am a bit confused by the family suddenly going after the media to be perfectly honest with you. It was the family themselves who specifically chose Sky News to do a lot of their interviews, so why was the family agreeing to do interviews with specifically Sky if they were not happy with their coverage.

I live locally so was paying close attention to this , but this got way too much coverage nationally.
Sometimes when you think you want to say something, the best thing to do is not say it.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

Oranges038

Not exactly the first type of person you'd think of for doing that!
If I've learned anything from reading about true crime and lots of books about these type of guys over the last 20 years or so. Nobody would suspect him. But, he is exactly the type of person you expect to be caught for something like this.

Carolina Red

Staff
Why has JonBenet Ramsey’s case popped back up again? I’m seeing stuff about Gary Oliva “confessing” to the murder, but hadn’t he already done that years ago anyway?

whitbyviking

Friend of mine who I used to play football with went missing just over 20yrs ago now, everyone thought he’d just gone on a bender at the time but then it just went on and on. We used to all go dark for a day or several at that time so nobody thought anything about it at first, hadn’t realised it was 20yrs until i’d seen this thread. Haven’t seen his brother for years but the family are, or were, convinced he was still alive. Judging by the appeal it seems that may still be.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-64725020.amp

Carolina Red

Staff
If you want to dig into a case where there’s been a possibly wrongful conviction, look at the Darlie Routire case.

Tons of podcasts about it, many of them leaning one way or another, many documentaries about it as well.

The investigation of the case and the trial were absolute clusters, but she’s currently on death row in Texas. Jurors from the trial and a woman who wrote a book that convinced the general public that she did it have all come out and said they were wrong within the last decade due to new evidence.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Who is this person, Carlee Russell, & why should I care about her?

I think she's the one who supposedly went missing. She was on the phone to a family member and said she saw a distressed toddler, and that was she was going to go up to them to see if they were ok, and that as she did she let out a scream and the line went dead. She turned up at her own house a couple days later, and the story sort of fell apart. She'd also been googling stuff about the movie taken just before her disappearance.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think she's the one who supposedly went missing. She was on the phone to a family member and said she saw a distressed toddler, and that was she was going to go up to them to see if they were ok, and that as she did she let out a scream and the line went dead. She turned up at her own house a couple days later, and the story sort of fell apart. She'd also been googling stuff about the movie taken just before her disappearance.
She also googled the age limit for an Amber alert and if you have to pay for one

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Very odd. Has it come out why she’s done all this?
Seemed to me like she had some sort of mental break when they announced she'd returned home but was taken for evaluation, but that's just speculation.