Film Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One | The Biggest Stunt in Cinema History

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That is nuts!
Whatever your thoughts on the person you have to give him credit for doing his own crazy stunts.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My most anticipated film of 2023.

The last one was one of the best action films of the decade.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I had to wiki this to make sure he is really this old. Wow. put most stuntman to shame.
I know right? Its crazy that he is learning new extreme physical skills at 60. Goes to show that your body only slows down when you let it.

stoinz

I know right? Its crazy that he is learning new extreme physical skills at 60. Goes to show that your body only slows down when you let it.
hats off to him. The stunts from his MI movies are always great.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can't wait to see this, Fallout was incredible.

Some man, TC. This stunt looks unbelievable and the work he still puts into his films makes me admire him greatly as an actor. Loved Top Gun: Maverick too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What’s the extreme physical skill here? As far as I can see it took a lot of courage but it’s not physically or technically demanding. The hard work went into preparing it, what he did was ride a motorbike at about 20 miles per hour, the rest was sky diving which people in their 80s are still doing.

It’s a cool stunt but it’s hardly physically or technically demanding like the sort of stunts someone like Damien Walters does.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's all one giant theme park for the man's ego, he is so fecked in the head. However the results, in terms of cinematic spectacle, are pretty remarkable and that's no mean feat given the piss poor standard of today's studio blockbusters. And at least he's not out there killing people or trying to turn the world fascist one social media account at a time. Tom's is probably one of the more societally neutral of the many rich man's playgrounds.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What’s the extreme physical skill here? As far as I can see it took a lot of courage but it’s not physically or technically demanding. The hard work went into preparing it, what he did was ride a motorbike at about 20 miles per hour, the rest was sky diving which people in their 80s are still doing.

It’s a cool stunt but it’s hardly physically or technically demanding like the sort of stunts someone like Damien Walters does.
I did a fair bit of motocross in my teens. It’s seriously physically demanding. Couldn’t imagine doing it at my age. My knees would explode.

ChrisNelson

2023 is insane with this, John Wick and Indiana Jones before you even have to think about any others.

MI films are the Rolls Royce's of action movies and this kind of thing is why.

Smores

The fact he loves doing this stuff is the only reason Mission Impossible is still going I'd say. He pushes things for his own enjoyment and it just translates into enjoyable cinema. Bet they spend a fortune meeting his exact demands.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I did a fair bit of motocross in my teens. It’s seriously physically demanding. Couldn’t imagine doing it at my age. My knees would explode.
I’m sure you could manage a 200m cruise across a smooth platform at 20mph.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m sure you could manage a 200m cruise across a smooth platform at 20mph.
I actually haven’t watched the video in the OP but saw a clip yesterday where he was training for the jump by doing hundreds of “table top” jumps, which are pretty fecking strenuous in my experience. And beat you up quite badly if you get the landing even a tiny bit wrong.

EDIT: It’s the same video. 1m40s in. .

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That’s it. It’s not that he does it once and goes for a lie down. He’s doing it repeatedly. That’s exhausting; mentally and physically.

He’s older than me and I’m tired looking at him do that :lol:

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
It's all one giant theme park for the man's ego, he is so fecked in the head. However the results, in terms of cinematic spectacle, are pretty remarkable and that's no mean feat given the piss poor standard of today's studio blockbusters. And at least he's not out there killing people or trying to turn the world fascist one social media account at a time. Tom's is probably one of the more societally neutral of the many rich man's playgrounds.
For sure, 500 jumps seems excessive. Crossing into obsessive-compulsive

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
EDIT: It’s the same video. 1m40s in. .
Over 500 skydives and 13k motorcross jumps?! That can't be right!

If he manages 3 skydives per hour and a motorcross jump every 30 seconds, then we're looking at 166 hours of skydiving and 108 hours of motorcross jumping. If he only did this for 8 hours a day without a break then it would take him more than 34 days. Plausible, but absolutely insane if true.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The man is an absolute fruit loop, and the Scientology stuff is hateful, but I can’t help being impressed with his stunts and he really does know how to make a movie.

The M:I franchise is awesome and I can’t wait for the new one.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The man is an absolute fruit loop, and the Scientology stuff is hateful, but I can’t help being impressed with his stunts and he really does know how to make a movie.

The M:I franchise is awesome and I can’t wait for the new one.
Yeah he’s a complete lunatic, and I recall Leah Remini was far from complimentary about him when asked what he was like in her documentary, but holy shit it makes for some great entertainment.

I’d imagine the fact that he’s basically revered as a godlike figure in Scientology and they surround him with Yes people means he thinks he’s probably fecking immortal at this stage.

Eplel

Tom Cruise getting old is one of the biggest tragedies in cinema.
If we ever find a way to stay young, Tom Cruise should be the first to get the treatment.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah he’s a complete lunatic, and I recall Leah Remini was far from complimentary about him when asked what he was like in her documentary, but holy shit it makes for some great entertainment.

I’d imagine the fact that he’s basically revered as a godlike figure in Scientology and they surround him with Yes people means he thinks he’s probably fecking immortal at this stage.
I need to get around to watching that Leah Remini thing.

And yea he probably does think he’s immortal, the nutbar.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Does anyone else find the MI films good for a first time watch, but not re-watchable.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I need to get around to watching that Leah Remini thing.

And yea he probably does think he’s immortal, the nutbar.
He's backed up in a Level 17 lightning tube at the Scientology Warehouse

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Figured I’d just bump this as opposed to a new thread. Just over two months left until the next installment. ‘The Fallout’ was as phenomenal an action film I’ve ever seen, hopefully this tops it…

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So they spent god knows how much money and blasted an apparently very nice and quiet valley with helicopter travel for years, just so they can spice up their low iq movie with a trailer and "DUDE,TOM CRUISE DID HIS OWN STUNT!!!".

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
So they spent god knows how much money and blasted an apparently very nice and quiet valley with helicopter travel for years, just so they can spice up their low iq movie with a trailer and "DUDE,TOM CRUISE DID HIS OWN STUNT!!!".

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So I randomly decided to watch all of these over the last few weeks. I think I’ve gradually gotten quite snobby about films and won’t watch anything throwaway/popcorny, but I’ve tried to just switch my mind off more and enjoy films like this.

The first is a classic. The second was hilariously bad. The third is carried by PSH. The fourth is decent and the fifth is pretty good. I’ve still got Fallout to watch.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So I randomly decided to watch all of these over the last few weeks. I think I’ve gradually gotten quite snobby about films and won’t watch anything throwaway/popcorny, but I’ve tried to just switch my mind off more and enjoy films like this.

The first is a classic. The second was hilariously bad. The third is carried by PSH. The fourth is decent and the fifth is pretty good. I’ve still got Fallout to watch.
You are on the right glide path.

Gavinb33

The 1st one is still my favourite, it was like a proper spy film loads of double crossing and such really watchable to this day.

My friends and i talk about Tom Cruise and we can never come to someone who has made as many movies as he has with a similar hit rate there are only a few which I wouldn't watch again if i was scrolling through TV with nothing in particular to watch of a night and found a channel showing one of his films